The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

SM nerfs are either gonna have to be canceled or refunds are gonna be demanded

Azulra
Azulra Member Posts: 478

So BHVR already said that these nerfs are essentially intended to "kill her off" so people will stop complaining about her until her rework. The thing is though is that this is, legally, the dumbest decision to ever make in the financial department because, since all of her perks are garbage until the PTB nobody purchased her for the perks meaning they specifically wanted the killer. If you intentionally make a change to the killer(a DLC killer may I add) that is so bad that they're almost borderline unplayable and openly admit to it then you are, at that point, scamming people out of money while straight up admitting to it essentially and will, obviously, result in a LOT of people demanding refunds.

Comments

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 478

Even their TOS does have limitations. If they didn't say anything then it would've been fine, but actively speaking about it is typically when they cross one of those limitations hence why I specifically said "legally." There's a reason companies who do similar things keep their mouths shut when they do something like this and it's to not put themselves in a sticky situation.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,860

Bro I bought the whole chapter and love Thalita so I don’t need a refund lol.

• CautionaryMary
    CautionaryMary Member Posts: 109

At least someone found a silver lining.

OP, I agree with you that Skull Merchant didn't need the nerfs that was warranted to her character. I've played her a handful of times and even if I have gripes with her as a survivor — she didn't need all of the nerfs that she needed tacked onto the character. Hopefully in 2025, she can get the rework that she deserves and doesn't become a walking hated meme like she is now.

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13 Member Posts: 181

Just play her and run the most toxic setups and tactics. XD

• Shinkiro
    Shinkiro Member Posts: 52

If their intention is to make her unplayable until further notice then they should give us an option to refund all in-game and auric cell currecy used on her so we can redistrbute it. No one loses anything that way.

• CleanseThis
    CleanseThis Member Posts: 126
    edited September 15

How about we think outside the box here.. Let's say for example, that EULA was updated and now if a developer is going to make a change to a character that a automated notification had to be sent out to players who bought said character and associated in-store cells, cosmetics etc asking if they are ok with the recent proposed changes and if not will be refunded and in the future if they ever decide they want to repurchase the character again there is an upcharge on the next repurchase?

• CleanseThis

Not true. many businesses thrive despite people returning purchased items.

• ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,351
    edited September 15

OP is my new favorite forum user

• Lost_Boy
    Lost_Boy Member Posts: 645

I purchased her for the perks cause I need to have all perks to satisfy my perk OCD, even though I don't use her perks or play her that often. But someday I might create a whacky build or see a build I want to try so I like having every perk available at T3 in all killers.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,261

Gann my man(or woman)!!!!! I was thinking about you the other day! How’ve you been! It’s nice to see you posting something on here!

Sorry for derailing the thread a little.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,392

My point was that they have changed, at one point or another, every single killer in this game. As well as a large chunk of the perks. So yeah, if they had to refund every single one of those purchases it would not be good for the bottom line. Skull Merchant isn't special.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,307

People can demand whatever they want, don't play live service games if you don't understand that you're merely buying a license to use X in whatever state X ends up in and nothing more than that.

• CleanseThis

Its either agree or you cant play the game. It's hardly voluntary.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,713

Can survivors get a refund for Skull Merchant having been in the game?

You can still play Skull Merchant. Your chances of winning with her have gone down. Beyond the fact that as others have pointed out their complete right to make changes, they definitely never agreed that you had the right to a killer of a certain level of strength.

• notstarboard
    notstarboard Member Posts: 3,768

This is comedy

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,948
    edited September 16

moot point before the post was even posted

What about people who bought the chapter for Renato and thalita I’m sure they are satisfied with the product they bought?

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,860

Oh hi huge bush! It’s been a while. I’ve been good, I still play DBD at times (mostly survivor and I main Zarina, Yun-Jin, and Thalita now), just haven’t really been active on here as much anymore. How have you been?

• XombieJoker
    XombieJoker Member Posts: 53
    edited September 16

you can't demand a refund for a character purchase that has under gone changes. You bought them, played them and now that they can be nerfed into the ground doesn't mean you are owed compensation. You purchasing the game or character is literally like a rental license, you have access to it however it changes and you can be banned for misconduct and refused a refund. If you don't like Skull Merchant after her change, drop her and find a new main or leave the game entirely, it won't matter to anyone which path you take. People need to stop thinking that when something in the game changes that you are owed something. You get nothing and make due with it or leave the game. If you still think they owe you for nerfing SM, try suing them and let us all know the outcome… I'll put $1000 on what I know the outcome will be

• CleanseThis
    edited September 16

Negative ghost rider. Its called a monopoly, a legal monopolization at that. Imagine if stores decided to (Protected by law) discontinue item returns and you would actually now have to get in touch with the manufacturer to get your money back. That would be extremely bad for business, the difference here is we are dealing with the digital landscape of retail. So imagine 10,000 people buy SM right now and 2 days later BVHR killswitchs her until a rework happens whenever that is, tough luck people and people like you would support it because well "They knew what the deal was when they agreed with the EULA before playing the game, they don't have to play this game there are other games out there…" blah blah blah. I would venture to guess every game out there is protected with EULA and it's ethically not right.

• CleanseThis

How would you feel if you bought SM and played for a week and then they kill switched her until her rework came?

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290
    edited September 16

I remember when people demanded refunds for the initial Decisive Strike rework and this conversation happened. You agreed to their ToS and it's unlikely you get a refund for this specific reason.

This is the reality of live service games.

Post edited by Dustin on
  • CleanseThis
    edited September 16

Your right they don't but, if they had to legally send out a notification (Which wouldn't be that hard to do) asking yes or no if you approve of said changes and if not you can get refunded, BHVR and other companies would definitely be more on their toes when it comes to balance instead of this pandering to one-sides complaining and feeling like they are untouchable. I mean cmon bhvr balancing is the most hodgepodge thing I've ever seen.

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 422

Even if there was any legal standing for demanding a refund, which there isn't, there is no way that the amount of time and effort required to go through a legal process is worth the $5 you'd get back.

Live service games also aren't a new thing. That's what the live means. They're going to change the game and content you paid for.

• Hunkulese
    edited September 16

Your nonsensical hypotheticals aren't relevant at all to this conversation.

If McDonald's replaced all their meat with fried bugs, it would be bad for business. It's also something that's never going to happen.

• CleanseThis

What are you talking about its 100% relevant… reread the post. replacing meat with bugs is different than telling the customer to F-off take it up with the manufacturer.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,261

I’m doing okay. Life is meh but I’m doing better than others. I just need to win the lotto soon so I can retire youngish. (Just it 40 and everything creaks when I move 😭)

Thalita is a good choice, though Claudette is still the best 😉. Carlos is the second best, I just wish he had a shirtless cosmetic. As for Zarina, I actually think people who play her are some of the best teammates in the community. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a toxic Zarina during my play time.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,832

Except that they are under absolutely no obligation to do so. When you signed that license agreement, you acknowledged and agreed to the terms and conditions.

Your hypothetical would be absolutely terrible for business. The community can't even agree on tunneling, yet you think they could agree on whether or not a proposed change should go through?

Any time you play a live service game, you sign an agreement that states that you acknowledge, understand, and agree to the terms and conditions.

• LadyOwO
    LadyOwO Member Posts: 231

They should've just kill switched her instead of practically disemboweling her with nerfs until they can be bothered to rework her.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,713

1: We're not talking two days, we're talking a year and a half. Even if you bought her 2 days before the announcement, you still have weeks to play her.

2: We're not talking a killswitch, we're talking about nerfs.

3: Ethics - it's not ethically right to expect that your desires for the game override the overall health that everyone has also paid for.

This would lead to companies never bothering to make changes. It goes against the very concept of a live service game which people are paying money for. You are buying into a game with the understanding that the game will be undergoing constant changes, its silly that people could somehow get just the changes they like.

• BlackRose89
    BlackRose89 Member Posts: 323
    edited September 16

Like I understand what ppl saying, its a live service game blah blah blah. We may not be able to ask for a refund but we sure can complain and ######### over and over about how long these devs will take to rework SM or any killer. To me, Im fine with them nerfing SM or any problem killer till a rework happens but don't make us wait TWO DAMN YEARS for it…Im not demanding a refund but I sure am demanding the devs to do a better job and stop making their players wait years for promise reworks. I don't care how limited their "bandwidth" is or ever that means…stop making ######### killers whose powers are just copies of the other killers you have and actually work on making what you already have better. That is where I stand right now.

• Hunkulese
    edited September 16

It's not different at all. They're never going to just killswitch a character indefinitely until they figure out a rework, just like McDonald's is never going to replace their meat with bugs, just like no one is going tell the customer to F-off and take it up with the manufacturer. You're making up nonsensical scenarios that will never happen.

If, and again, this will never happen, they did decide to killswitch a character indefinitely, there's a 99% chance that they would just automatically give you a refund if you recently purchased the character. They've done stuff like that in the past. Or they'd give plently of warning.

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 152

That's why all the perks from this DLC were buffed, or you though it's a coincidence?

• katoptris
    katoptris Member Posts: 3,140

Same I need to have everyone perks in case a build come to mind.

• XombieJoker
    XombieJoker Member Posts: 53

First of all, I did buy SM chapter, I played her for a bit and realized how dog ######### her release was, I tried her after all her changes and she is so brain off boring to play and easy that I don't care for her. Now if BHVR were to kill switch a killer I main, I would not be happy but I would complain about it either BECAUSE IT IS NOT MINE! Then if they nerfed my main into the ground I still would not be happy, but I would not be demanding a refund because again I paid for it and agreed to their ToS when I purchased the game. I can voice an opinion on the change and BHVR can take it into consideration but that is all they are obligated to do. There is NO LEGAL ISSUE on BHVR changing an aspect of THEIR GAME that does not agree with you. You are speaking of delusions about something THAT DOES NOT need your specific or even the community's specific approval. You have no power in this situation other than voicing your opinions to the devs, they can be ignored as well if so desired. If the SM changes go through you can either cope, find a new main, or leave. Again no one will care which you do but you definitely won't get a refund nor will anyone else who demands one

• Volcz
    Volcz Member Posts: 1,157

And they will say NO to all your refund requests. They aren't obligated to give you your money back.

If I had your reasoning, I'd request refunds on a lot of characters I bought solely for their perks, only for those perks to be thrown into the gutter cause 'too strong/OP'. Doesn't work like that, my man. You bought a character, you knew changes could make it stronger or weaker. You got the latter and now have to deal with it, just like all of us.

• mecca
    mecca Member Posts: 287

Survivor perks are not refunded after they are ruined. I don't think killers are entitled to a refund either. Killers have no experience to this kind of thing and it's very obvious.

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 159

You cant get your money back. However you can stop yourself from buying chapters and cosmetics force to bend the knee with lack of monetary gain they will make changes if their jobs are on the line

• Hunkulese

How would you play the new killers and rock the new fits in your scenario?

• Haddix
    Haddix Member Posts: 1,043
    edited September 17

I obviously disagree with the notion this is illegal or genuinely punishable, but their request has at least a little validity if it's "I would like an auric cell refund as the changes made to the character are intended make them entirely ineffective so players do not play her," which is obviously different from "I would like an auric cell refund because my character's power was nerfed a little bit". The latter is an attempt to balance a character, the former is a deliberate attempt to ruin the balance of a character, so it's going to get waaay more pushback. If people buy something and it's intentionally ruined so its not appealing to use ever, then the consumer will likely request compensation in some form. Nothing legally compels BHVR or any seller to do this, it's just appealing to their morality and people are honestly valid for doing so lol, cause why not?