The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What was the most hated perk (both sides)

Anyone who has been here knows that the community has complained about a LOT of perks. I even saw someone complain about my 2 favorites (Any Means Necessary and Saboteur)

I'm curious to know which ones people hated the most though. For me the choice is easy:

Killer: Eruption by far. Killers broke chase every 5 seconds to kick gens and then when you got hit by it, you just had to go make a sandwich for the next 30 seconds because there was literally nothing you could do.

Survivor: Probably Dead Hard, but not for the same reason most people would say. I hated it because it was a B tier perk posing as S tier and it was never all that great EXCEPT when you used it to maybe get to a pallet against an M1 Killer. I mained Huntress and Doc anyway so that didn't bother me and in the open, you just bait it out 🤷🏾‍♂️ never understood why it was so overhyped but that's just me

Comments

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,309
    edited September 18

Boil Over & NOED are just annoying enough to get an eye roll 🙄

Maybe its just the players that use them, but I don't like em regardless.

If I were going to speculate the most hated in history, Old DS #1 on survs. Eruption for Killers from recent memory, but you could make a case for the infamous gen tap Ruin days as well. That was a fun time.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,553
    edited September 18

I’mma agree on Eruption and Dead Hard. Though I disagree DH was “overhyped”. Its pickrate was unrivalled for good reason.

As honourable mentions, I’d also add og Mettle of Man, Boil Over in combo with og RPD, Adrenaline (admittedly a personal pick) NOED, Pain Res when it didn’t have its 4-token limit, and old Ultimate Weapon.

• For_The_People
    For_The_People Member Posts: 523
    edited September 18

By the very nature of perks giving value to each side, they will likely most of the time annoy or not be loved by the other.

Almost every perk on the killer side which I don’t like, I can see why it enhances the game and provides challenge (not always with the right balance and that will always lead to debate and sometimes rebalancing by the game).

However the one perk on the killer side which I REALLY dislike more than any other and not just for the sake of my own preference is KNOCKOUT.

In soloq, it is almost impossible to counteract this and I personally feel it is an unhealthy perk for this reason.

Gen slowdown? Totally understand

Auras? Don’t like (actually very much so) but I can understand.

Hexes and their various abilities, understand.

I do believe auras need to be toned down a little as it is a level of complexity that newer players won’t be able to grasp. I think newer plays can understand the concept of gens slowed down and having to figure out how to do them while taking longer for example but some (←some) auras will not allow newer players to understand without putting them off and providing too much of a steep learning curve.

However, Knockout is probably the only one which is far and above damaging without co-ordination in my own experience anyway.

• SpitefulHateful
    SpitefulHateful Member Posts: 278

I'm torn between Lithe and Boil Over.

Lithe because nothing is more annoying than watching the Survivor that was almost as good as hooked zoom away from you because they vaulted over a dropped pallet.

Boil Over because usually this implies the Survivor has sabo buddies already making their way to the nearest hook or that they intended to waste my time by running over to the farthest corner of the map to get downed there.

As for Killers, I don't really hate any particular perks. None of them feel unfair, especially right now.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,891

I wouldn't at all be upset to see Boil Over sent to the Gulag...

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,188

Eruption and original Decisive Strike.

DS used to work on your first down. Like, it could deny your first hook of the game.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,263
    edited September 18

Dead Hard and Eruption. I absolutely hated the DS that worked in endgame too but i hated DH even more. As soloQ enjoyer i hate knockdown but its rare..thankfully.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,044

For killer: Eruption. I've never come to hate a perk more. Incapacitated should never be applied outside of chase and that perk was a special kind of hell-design that punished solos with half a minute of forced uselessness and let SWFs skate on by. And it encouraged a 3-gen meta that was capped off by the arrival of Knight and then Skull Merchant. Half your games were a killer running Call of Brine/Overcharge/Eruption and solo queue had rarely been more miserable.

For survivor: I'm gonna say old Decisive Strike was worse than Dead Hard. Not even the original incarnation that was just a middle finger to every killer, but the version that didn't have conspicuous actions and provided one minute of immunity after a survivor got unhooked. People would greed gens or show up to bodyblock a chase with 10s left on their timer, and it was so common to get stabbed out of nowhere. People can still use DS aggressively, but they can't progress the game if they want to do that. Back then, every survivor packed it and played hardball, and you had to keep a mental timer of when everyone got unhooked.

And Boil Over gets a special mention for being hated by everyone in the week or so it went to live. It was wild, the number of games where I saw survivors helping the killer catch the Boil Overer before they could get upstairs or teaming up to get rid of the Exponential totem because they were so sick of trolls who weren't playing the game.

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 429

For Killer I'd have to say I really disliked Nowhere to Hide, coupled with the Overcharge and Eruption meta around the time Knight and Skerchant were released…yeah there was a reason Distortion became a staple in, not just my build, but a lot of builds until Overcharge and Eruption were nerfed.

As for Survivor, I'd have to say old Circle of Healing. Don't get me wrong, it was and still is a handy perk to a lesser degree, but it was too OP. Set it up on a specific totem of certain maps and you'd have near map-wide coverage. Not to mention, the fact it can be re-booned as many times as the survivor wants (not to mention boon stacking IIRC), when Hexes are pretty much rendered useless after they're broken just allowing the survivors to be too independent, was a bit of a kick in the teeth.

Dishon mentions: Eruption/Overcharge/Call of Brine…Nuff said. Sprint Burst, I've been screwed over by teammates who play very selfishly with their 99ed Sprint Bust, so they can high-tail away from the killer, with their 0 hook states, while I, on first or death hook, have to try and juice the killer at a tile where the pallet is already gone from an earlier chase. Boilover, while not as powerful as it was, is still annoying to deal with on ceratin maps.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,826

For killer we'd say it's between eruption or noed. Noed has been hated by most since we've started, even if people are less vocal about it currently, while eruption gained infamy during the gen kick era. Honorable mentions to old ultimate weapon and weave of attunement.

Survivors we'd call old DH and possibly Old Mettle of man or object (this last one maybe biased though). Old DH was undisputably complained about the most, old Mettle was literally a free health state over 90% of the time, and old Object was free wall hacks and even could semi work against stealth (it would still light up when you looked in the killers direction, even if you couldn't see their aura).

• CrossTheSholf
    CrossTheSholf Member Posts: 174

As an OG player from the early days I would have to say either old decisive strike or old balanced landing. And for killer, pre hex noed

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,385

I'm surprised the original Mettle of Man is barely mentioned. It was extremely frustrating to play against.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,697

Eruption and Circle of Healing

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,183
  • ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,762

Boil Over on survivor side, because I usually only see it when they try to abuse heights like Eyrie of Crows.

It's kinda hard to say for killer side, but I guess old eruption is a good contender.

• Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 493

Old DS, Old Pop I miss the old days

• Backmon
    Backmon Member Posts: 236

blast mine and knockout

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,991

noed and SB

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 675

Surprised to have not seen Object of Obsession mentioned as that was ridiculous in its original state.

Boil Over for me as playing on console it’s impossible to counter the effect where PC players it barely affects them unless heights aren’t involved.

Circle of Healing was also a nightmare completely negating all the pressure you gained through injures.

On killer side it’s probably original Ruin for me, it made the game such a slog in solo queue if you had someone who couldn’t hit the skill checks or everyone was looking for the totem etc.

Also don’t think anyone likes seeing NoeD pop at the end.

• SkeletonDance
    SkeletonDance Member Posts: 293

OG Ruin was a real pain when the performance of the game back then was terrible

OG Decisive Strike was a massive time waster for killer

• LadyOwO
    LadyOwO Member Posts: 233

NOED Because it rewards failure And Champion Of Light because of the stupid hindering effect

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,471
    edited September 18

Am I misreading the question? How has mft not been mentioned yet? Too much trauma?

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,044

I think the reason is that while there's been a lot of hated survivor perks, MFT and Buckle Up/FTP and CoH and Mettle of Man… their reign of terror is just too short in the collective lifespan of obnoxious perk PTSD when Decisive Strike lasted in a state every killer despised for close to half DBD's existence, and Dead Hard held that title for even longer. It's hard to compete with that level of entrenched loathing.

Killer perks have been more subject to a whack-a-mole meta and there aren't as many contenders for ones that remained meta forever, though Old Ruin is up there, and NOED is probably the king of lifetime survivor rage.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,826

Umm late question, are you asking about personal hated or in general hated on both sides?

• CrossTheSholf
    CrossTheSholf Member Posts: 174

Reminder, DS and DH actually made all killers change their fundamental playstyle just to manage

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,983

A blast mine hater? :(
    Sorry, nothing is funnier to me than when someone puts Wiretap on a gen with a Blast Mine and I get to watch the killer get their vision blown out. Even when it happens to me on killer, I do a quick spin and start nodding to whoever I know is watching

• SipSipSip
    SipSipSip Member Posts: 13

Knockout, third seal, NOED, or Rancor.

Knockout and third seal are simply designed to stomp soloQ players. NOED feels cheap. Rancor is just bad design, uncleansable exposed at the point of the game where taking bodyblocks for teammates is the most prevalent in SoloQ.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 800

OoO, Ultimate Weapon, Dead Man's Switch and Buckle Up are probably it for me.

Funnily enough I didn't mind Eruption; 6.1 forced Survivors to be efficient and gogogo, and Eruption was such a laughably overpowered perk that I took bring Incapacitated as an excuse to just walk around and bask in the Dbd atmosphere.