We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Better Than New: Give it a new niche!

UndeddJester
UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,117
edited September 22 in Feedback and Suggestions

Preamble (Skip to Rework below for TLDR)

After all the buffs on various other healing perks, of the healing perks in the game Better Than New is just laughably useless... even if you made the effect permanent instead of losing it on getting injured, it'd still be a very poor perk...

While looking at medkits the other day, I realised one thing we actually lack is a proper incentive to actually use medkits altruistically... the ability to self heal is so strong that no-one bothers using them to heal allies...

Lore

The perk is a reference to Rebecca being a heal station for Chris in RE1 (I've only played RE1, so if that's not the case I do apologise).

In any case, in the RE world its a sort of amusing detail we have to ignore the fact that Rebecca has a seemingly infinite set of supplies to keep healing us, and we're left wondering why we can't fill just our pockets (it's cause that'd break the game doofus). So gameplaywise this makes sense, but narrative wise we have to smirk and move on.

In any case I bring this up, because having Better Than New somewhat emulate this effect would be an interesting niche for the perk.

Rework Suggestion

Better Than New

You are an expert in combat medicine. Patients leave your care invigorated.

When using your Medkit for altruistic healing:

• Increases your Medkit healing efficiency by 25/50/75%.

Completing a Healing action on another Survivor grants them the following benefits until they are next hooked:

• Increases their Action speeds for Blessing, Cleansing, Healing, Unlocking by 15/20/25%.

Notes/Maths

The number 75% has been carefully chosen for the sake of heals to allies, heals to self (remember you need 24 charges to heal yourself), and accounting for Streetwise/Botany Knowledge: -

• You take 9.143 charges to heal an ally.
  • Bandages/Self Adherent Wrap (+8 charges addon) - You get ~2.6 heals on allies with a medkit, or 1 heal with 14.857 charges left.
  • Gauze Roll (+10 charges addon) - You get ~2.8 heals on allies with a medkit or 1 heal with 16.857 charges left.
  • Gel Dressings (+16 charges add-on) - You get ~3.5 heals on allies with a medkit, or 1 heal with 21.857 charges left.
  • You take 8 charges to heal an ally with Streetwise.
  • You take 19.104 charges to heal yourself with a medkit using Streetwise (I believe, not 100% sure)
  • Gel Dressings With Streetwise - You get 4 heals with a medkit, or 1 heal with 24 charges left.
  • Max Charge addons With Streetwise - You get ~5.2 heals with a medkit or 2 heals with 26 charges left.

Formula to calculate the resulting Item Efficiency for stacked effects:

(1 - 'Penalty converted to decimal') * (1 + 'Bonus converted to decimal')

It should be noted that the effect of Streetwise/Better Than New is applied on top of the already penalised Item Efficiency inflicted by Botany Knowledge, so Botany Knowledge hurts the efficiency gain of the efficiency perks as well as the base Penalty. Thus:

• With Botany Knowledge you take 11.428 charges to heal an ally.
  • Bandages/Self Adherent Wrap with Botany Knowledge - You get ~2.2 heals on allies with a medkit, or 1 heal with 12.572 charges left.
  • With Botany Knowledge and Streetwise you take 10 charges to heal an ally.
  • With BK and SW, and max charge add-ons (+26 charges) - You get 3.6 heals with a medkit, 2 heals with 22 charges left over or 1 heal with 32 charges left over.

Conclusion

If you're fully investing in Better Than New, Botany Knowledge and Streetwise, with max/near max charge medkit add-ons to be able heal an ally and yourself 1 time a piece, this all seems fair to me for an altruistic healing bulld.

Post edited by UndeddJester on

Comments