Why cater to players who pub stomp?

edgarpoop
edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,234

Why reward the behavior with easy trial after easy trial? I'm mainly referring to the players with astronomical win rates i.e. the multi-thousand hour quad slowdown double speed Blight, the hard tunnel at 5 gens Nurse with thousands of hours, sweat squads, etc.

Why are these players never forced to wait in queue for an actual challenge? How are players winning hundreds of games in a row? Yes, I'm talking about outliers. But it's what I run into when I'm on solo survivor. Why am I, a solo survivor, getting placed into trials against someone on a 100 game win streak? What is a random solo team going to offer that player in terms of a challenge? It is a complete waste of my time.

It defeats the entire purpose of an MMR system when players can't sweat their way beyond the average upper bracket. I don't even mind facing that type of thing when everyone is on equal footing. I used to play comp after all. But you shouldn't be able to reach a certain skill level and essentially sucker punch your opponents for a 90% win rate. If someone wants to play that way, fine. But there should be an understanding that they're going to be waiting 10+ minutes for an equally sweaty opponent every time.

It shouldn't be "well, the queue time elapsed 1 minute, I guess we're going to waste everyone's time now". We're not talking about putting everyone in high MMR into queue hell. I'm mainly referring to what I assume are extreme outliers. Like I said, I really don't mind playing against omega sweat. What I do mind is facing it when it's me, someone throwing for a Rift challenge, someone who d/c's against sweaty killers, and a 4th. It's a waste of everyone's time. Why make that match?

Comments

• n000b51
    n000b51 Member Posts: 652

Maybe you shouldn't ask to control too much the quality of the matches to BVHR…

• IIITweedleIII
    IIITweedleIII Member Posts: 954

It would be a lot more viable for those competitive players to have their win streaks factored into a more adaptive to those of equal win streaks vs. losses of the opponent side. So best to maybe match than the NOW supposed "MMR".

That said, there's no real telling over which are losses by suicide on hook or actual effort by killer who succeeded in sacrificed survivors. (And said Killer Player such as Otz or SpookyLoopz who frequently challenges himselves by doing their own set rules, Hardcore Killer, etc. )

If only BHVR caved in finally and created a Comp Mode and Casual Mode seperate of themselves. But then again, By choice, who picks to play casual, plays as a Sweat or Toxic to stomp an actual Casual Fun Loving player, wanting to find players of the same non-serious attitude.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,570

To be fair, SBMM would never remain the way it was because the first tests had a lot of negative feedback. I still think the entire system should be scrapped.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 829

I could be mistaken, but I think one of these content creators was a twins main who had like a 2 hour queue?

That really sucks for them but I feel like we lost any chance at a functional matchmaking system by making the game prioritize match speed too much.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,180

That comment about not liking win streaks: I am fully onboard with that. The playstyle is often dull, predictable and is really just a joyless way of playing, even for the Killer in some respects!

What I would love to watch, which I feel would be the ultimate Killer challenge of 12 hook win streaks. With the caviate of not being allowed to hook the same Survivor twice in a row. If someone could pull that off, I'd think that would be a true sign of a really skilled player. Or even a 4 Iridescent Emblem run. Those are results worthy of praise.

Of course, the best trials are the ones where both sides are equally skilled and the mmr is balanced, as well as having a tough endgame fight. Forget any challenges; these are the best.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,238

I don't have much to say other than I agree with this. The amount of matches that are dead on arrival is way too high for my liking. There is nothing enjoyable about loading in against a four slowdown Hillbilly who is hard tunneling at five gens… All as a solo queue player.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,004

Rank Reset filters out the .00001% of the playerbase that OP is complaining about and keeps them almost always in the red, meanwhile the rest of the top player can and will freely smurf to the bottom 50%. That was the real reason content creators were upset about the change to MMR. Deranking to get chill matches was easy, dropping MMR is hard and opaque. Nothing that the current system does is any worse than the old ranking system.

• GeneralV

Nothing that the current system does is any worse than the old ranking system.

I don't think that is the case, to be honest. There is a clear difference in matchmaking quality between Ranks and SBMM.

And Ranks were just better, especially with the actual rank reset.

• GeneralV

For everyone, of course.

There is a reason why the feedback regarding MMR is always negative. And honestly, my experience with the Ranks was vastly different from what you've described.

All MMR does is create scenarios where you either stomp or you get stomped, and that isn't fun for anyone involved.

• Paternalpark
    Paternalpark Member Posts: 645

Those in red ranks belonged there. There would be no severe weak link and so games could be played.

People didn't dc as much as they wanted to keep red rank.

Waiting for your equal in a competitive setting is justified. 10 mins is fair, streamers can do other things to make content besides steamrolling thru 12 year olds.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,901

The purpose of an MMR system was defeated when they made the soft cap and made it for an Asymm. AKA when it was first introduced.

• Kerkvlerk
    Kerkvlerk Member Posts: 75
    edited September 26

I remember when we had those "certain" days when they changed SSBM and we could not know what happened behind the curtains. Me and a friend playing killer like normal and tought by ourselves…. they did not change anything these days… A few hours later a video from a streamer went online "my god this not playable, This is not fun 24/7 sweatfest" that was the moment i knew MMR only exist for normal players and not streamers with big audiences.

Maybe they know it, maybe they dont… At some point i dont care anymore. But if you think rational lets say for instance that otz need to sweat 24/7 and loses 9/10 matches his audience will go down and nobody will want to play killer anymore. Thats bad for sales on behaviour side…

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,901

Nah. Players only pub stomp because the average skill of the community is not that good. You can call it "average" but average in dbd is still not that good but even then average can still win games.

• P0MNI
    P0MNI Member Posts: 15

Not at all! Whenever I see people up playing Nurse (or having the audacity to say she’s hardest killer in the game?), I just assume they’re controller players or haven’t tried her at all. Hold M2, let go towards survivor, M1.

It should not be possible to get 1000 wins in a row, it’s absurd that people can go over this and work towards 1500 or 2000 wins because of how awful matchmaking is.

• DeBecker
    DeBecker Member Posts: 115

If an everage killer plays against average survivor team the outcome should (!) be about small differences and would come in all sorts of outcomes. But actually it isnt. It all comes down on how "easy" the killer wants to go on the survivor. I can still go to stomp better survs than me if I go all out on cheap gameplay thats atm available, especially if i use one of the S-Tier killers. If youre an average survivor team, you will only win if the killer plays chill or does several (!) mistakes that leads into game-changing situations. Thats the actual state of the game (for several years now). And every major update turned this into more a mess than before. Denying this is completely out of reality.