We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

How do survivors want killers to play?

When gen regression was strong, survivors had an issue with that, and perks like corrupt, pop, pain res, ruin, and deadlock among others were nerfed.

When Hit and run was strong, survivors had an issue with that, and all mangled addons were nerfed, as was sloppy butcher

Now I'm seeing survivors all saying that aura reading is too strong and that needs to be nerfed.

I must ask, how do survivors want killers to play? What is your preferred style of game play with a killer? What perks and add ons are on the OK list?

I'm aware that killers have demanded nerfs too (the only three in my opinion that were justified and needed were Ds, DH, and MFT.) I'm not mad or trying to bait. I'd just love survivors mains to express what is their preferred style of gameplay against killers.

Comments

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 880

The closest I've gotten to this these days is quad Hex Pinhead where the idea is to hook every survivor once then watch as Face the Darkness comes online.

I go out of my way to not tunnel and camp but that's still not enough so it's a fair question to ask.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,303

I can't help but be reminded that all three of these playstyles were buffed tremendously before they got nerfed back down a bit. (With the exception of Aura Reading, which got powercreeped a little bit more, instead of being brought back in line)

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,791

Somewhat close, yes, but I don't think anything can really compare to the good old days. It wasn't just peak killer meta, no, it was peak Dead by Daylight.

• DeBecker
    DeBecker Member Posts: 154

It isnt always a matter on how to play, its why kilelrs always have some busted things for years now, and have the need to combo this with the worst possible playstyles.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 271

Yes because the game is so unbalanced. Blame Bhvr. for making the game feel so oppressive for survivors.

• doobiedo
    doobiedo Member Posts: 271

Its really Bhvr's fault though. They are terrible at balancing, like the meme is true that it seems like they don't play their own game

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,890

Players can choose to be jerks or choose not to be jerks. I will agree that this game has troll aspects and mechanics fundamentally built into the game. Perks like Head On, Boil Over, Blast Mine, and Chemical Trap are designed quite intentionally for survivors to be trolls. Mechanics like tunneling, camping, and slugging increase players bad feelings toward each other. But players can choose to let go of the anger. Just because players in your last game choose to be rude doesn't mean you have to take it out on the players in your current lobby.

• Sandt1985
    Sandt1985 Member Posts: 327

Off topic, do flashbangs have any effect on a killer that has lightborn?

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 725
  • hermitkermit
    hermitkermit Member Posts: 374

Lol I liked your will smith meme! In all seriousness though I am sorry about your experience. Getting yelled at for lightborn is crazy. I'm sorry about that. Of course, obligatory it's not one "side" that does this, I'm sure you've had plenty of experiences of survivors as you've described and I myself have had plenty of killers that do the same things. I got yelled out for using WoO so I get it. One "side" isn't inherently toxic, the people that are jerks on 1 "side" stay jerks on the other, always finding something to be unhappy about. Don't let it get you down. It's not all bad 💙I wish you better games in the fog

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,797

Most of the time, survs don't want to feel directly and brutally hard focused out, what I would call hard tunneled. The other surv annoyances come from their fellow survs mainly.

But that feeling of being targeted for quick elimination, particularly very early in a trial, is the worst experience imo. The problem is that is exactly the surest strat a killer can use to gain victory, and many out there believe the only way against strong teams.

• LittleBigSunset
    LittleBigSunset Member Posts: 251
    edited September 25

I have a different but equally (if not more) valid set of criteria for killers that they need to meet to not go on 'the list':

• If you are playing Xenomorph, you must go into Crawler form and wait for me to throw my pebble before going to fetch it for me. Failure to return it will result in not being called a 'good boy'. Repeat for Demogorgon, Dracula in Wolf form and Chucky to an extent (he's too adorable, once you get over his swearing, for me to not consider him as a pet).
    • If I start lifting up a pallet in front of you with Any Means Necessary, you must let me complete the lift and then drop the pallet on top of you again. This is because I find this funny.
    • If you are the Pig, you must let me boop your nose. I will not be offering an explanation for this rule.
    • If you are a Wesker, you must ensure that you infect me and allow me to pick up a Spray so that I can spam the animation over and over again in quick succession. This is because doing this tickles my funny bone.
    • If mid-chase I run you to the cutouts at the Circus at Father Campbell's Chapel and crouch in on one of them, you must follow suit and pose with me. Failure to do this will make Maurice considerably upset, and you wouldn't want that on your conscience.

There are countless other rules but I seem to have misplaced the tome I wrote them all down in. I will have a look for it.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 4,002

Maybe people play both sides?

Otherwise I agree. The game is the most fun when both sides don't go out of their way to make the match miserable for the other side.

Sadly the opinion on what is miserable changes drastically from person to person.

• alpha5
    alpha5 Member Posts: 337

I want killers to play how they like to. I want the game to give me adequate tools to deal with the former. What I would like even more is for survivors to learn the game because the best tools are worthless if you cannot use them.

Then again clueless fellow victims is probably the most immersive experience you could ask for given the scenario.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 412

Unfortunately, as is nature in all multiplayer games, there will always be a "too strong" way to play. And this doesn't really take sides.

Regression is too strong, aura reading is too strong, self-healing is too strong, extra run speed is too strong… There's always something that people dislike, and when people that disliked that see those things nerfed and are happy with the gameplay, people that previously were okay with the gameplay might come out to hate on the new resulting meta.

In the end, some of the options the devs have is just throwing balance out the window and just try whacky things for fun, having a meta where your picks matter so little that people just run whatever perks so it's difficult for people to dogpile on a specific strong pick, or straight up accept that this is going to happen regardless and create a meta rotation (Ever seen how in games like League tanks are meta, then ADCs, then assassins so on and so forth and it always rotates?)

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,267
    edited September 25

As someone who plays both roles, both scenarios are valid.

Yes, I'm sure most survivors just want killers to not play like complete #########. For example I had a survivor game last night in Chaos Shuffle, a fun additional game mode with little real incentive for competition, in which one survivor had No Mither and another had Weaving Spiders. Killer immediately tunneled the two broken survivors. All I would have liked is if they didn't tunnel the obviously handicapped players.

However, it's also true that survivors exist that are simply never happy. That you can explicitly avoid tunneling and camping, even using perks that work against it such as Make Your Choice. You can even let survivors go, you can down a survivor you know is on death hook and leave them slugged instead of eliminating them, and then later watch the survivor walk out of the open exit gate, having passed up numerous chances to have killed them, and they will still hurl abuse at you after the game. I have plenty of first hand experience of this.

The attitude you're bringing here is tantamount to "not all men survivors".

It's very easy to say that "everyone just wants everyone else to play fair", bit that's disingenuous. Just as there are killers who will always tunnel and camp, there are survivors who will never accept anything less than killers throwing the game. There's also an additional factor in the games asymmetrical format, in that the killer has the agency to be able to play fair and is therefore expected to, meanwhile survivors are more subject to the actions of other players (killer and other survivors) and therefore lose more when playing fair. Which is why you never see survivors slowing down gens or offering up free hooks whenever it becomes apparent the killer is struggling. Killers are expected to play fair, but survivors aren't. Is that fair?

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 247

I'd prefer you throw and let us win every time.

Why do you care what the other team thinks?

• ControllerFeedback
    ControllerFeedback Member Posts: 89

I don't really care about how killers play, I just want some goddamn resources on whatever map we're playing on. BHVR's map designers have been kicking survivors in the dick lately (and yet for some reason Garden of Joy and Preschool still exist).

• Autharia
    Autharia Member Posts: 94

All I'd like is if people would stop tunnling, camping, and slugging. This includes the slugging the 3rd kill to make the game take 4 more minutes just so you can get 500more BP.

• ErebusSurge
    ErebusSurge Member Posts: 23

in a game of hide and seek you should be required to use some skill to seek, as you are to hide. Perma wall hacks isn’t exactly difficult is it. Most people probably wouldn’t play killer if they didn’t have a constant visual of survivors.

• DarKStaR350z
    DarKStaR350z Member Posts: 742

What perks give perma wall hacks and a constant visual of survivors?

• LapisInfernalis
    LapisInfernalis Member Posts: 4,209

I don't really care what perks you bring. Just be respectful and don't insult me. Don't be a dick.

Examples: There is no need to tunnel and/or camp at 5 or 4 gens. You don't need to slug for a 4k to get a win (3k is enough for MMR) unless you have a challenge or do the adept. You don't need to wait for me to crawl to the exit/hatch only to pick me up 1m before I escape. Just sacrifice me and move next.

Same goes for survivors too.

• LapisInfernalis

It's not for the BP, it's for their ego. A 3k does not look as good as a 4k.

• LapisInfernalis

That is why I play neutral/chill until someone is mean to me. Then I don't care about being nice anymore.

You are T-bagging as a survivor and I play a killer who can do the same? Yeah I will do that.

You want to desperately get into my face after getting unhooked? I will tunnel you.

• mysticalCat
    mysticalCat Member Posts: 31
    edited September 26

but yet you made a post about slugging for the 4k. Must’ve been a survivor but now a killer main suggesting all of this. I guess my hunch was right and you are one of the culprits that have made the game miserable.

Post edited by BoxGhost on
  • Prometheus1092
    Prometheus1092 Member Posts: 300

Im still not sure how any people are to blame for "ruining" the game by simply playing the game. the killers objective is to kill the survivors before they escape. The survivors objective is to escape before they are killed. If people feel the game is "ruined" by these tactics then maybe the game isn't for you? I see a lot of complaints saying it's not fun for a survivor to be tunneled out .. just admit that you don't enjoy being a survivor. At least then you can make changes yourself to better things instead of relying on other people to change because you not having fun.

Changes you can make yourself include, learning to counter these tactics you find boring so you stay in the game longer and have fun, or changing to killer side? Survivor isn't for everyone so maybe you would have more fun as a killer instead. Or play a different game. No one forcing anyone to play the game and if you don't like how people play it then play a game that you enjoy more.

• upsideinsanity
    upsideinsanity Member Posts: 31

you never see survivors slowing down gens or offering up free hooks whenever it becomes apparent the killer is struggling

While it may be rare, to say "never" is not true. My friend and I (duo with two randoms) went against a demo on toba that was having a hard time, was not able to catch us and ended up giving up after 3 gens popped. My friend and I gave them two hooks each and then got the two randos to do it as well.

Yes, this is rare. I have trust issues, I have gone against killers that act like they have given up, survivors offer up hooks only to be killed in endgame. So, is that fair? No. Can you blame us? No. Even in the above situation, I was still worried he was going to turn around and kill us in endgame.

Now, I will also say, I have very rarely gone against a killer that sees the team is having a hard time so they take their two hooks and let the survivors live.

I play both sides and can appreciate when a killer is having a hard time because I am not one of the a-holes people hate playing against.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

There are a lot of entitled people on both sides and unfortunately no matter how you play, someone will be upset.

Play killer without slowdown or info and go for 12 hooks - Someone will call you out for "abusing MMR" or something similar.

Don't go out of your way to be a dick and you're already golden in my book.

• coolgue1
    coolgue1 Member Posts: 126

I like how u try to work it strong wich is a joke it more then strong if more than 50 % of the community ity uses the same per ever game it OP at that point MFT wast eve overpowered BTW you just had to put on a perk to counter it their a ton of speed perks for killers no one want to put on a perk to counter MFT that why they complain not becasue it was op but becasue in order to counter the perk I had to use a perk basically what ever killer main now a day says about every base killer brain dead strat in the game of I get tunneling just run OFR same thing coud of been said for DS MFT