We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Balance wise, who is the strong killer that all other killers should be judged by?

I have a questions specifically for survivors. Obviously, killers can answer too, but but I'm mostly curious about the opinions of people who mainly play the survivor role…

Who exactly is the strong killer currently in the game that killer balance should be judged by? A killer that is agreed by most to be strong, but not so strong that they need to be nerfed in any way? A killer that we wish weaker killers like Trapper, Myers, and Pig were more like? A killer that you enjoy playing against who you also acknowledge as really strong.

Who is the most balanced "strong" killer that all killer balance should be judged by?

Does any current strong killer meet the criteria to be the killer that all other killers should be judged by in the terms of balance?

Comments

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,630
    edited September 26

Mmm… Who's in the middle between Dredge and Artist?

(Btw, Dredge was considered THE MOST fair\balanced killer for both sides)

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 319
    edited September 26

Dredge or Singularity id say

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 877

Pinhead and Alien hit that sweet spot for me. They feel powerful and have built in slowdown but their powers also encourage you to mess with the killer.

I love the payoff of turrets breaking chase and shepherding my solo team to safety.

I could spend all day entertaining myself by just figuring out the patterns, habits and sometimes even the life stories of Pinhead players.

Some are insta teleporting creatures. Some Cenobites ignore the Box. If I find a never teleporter, what happens if I solve the Box as the only survivor on death hook? I'm just dying to know!

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,254
    edited September 27

A low to middle A tier killer like Wesker should be the strongest killer in the game. Any killer significantly above him is too strong and horribly unfun to play against when you aren't in an organized group. Especially on these new maps that have no pallets and endless deadzones. The low end or weakest a killer should be is Bubba. If I had control over the game I would nerf Nurse, Blight, Billy, Chucky, and Spirit while buffing the C and D tier killers. Then I think we'd be in a good spot overall.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,781

Wesker should be the gold standard imo

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

It makes me sad that I'll never experience original Billy on the old maps. What I wouldn't give for that... Or even just playing new Billy on the old Coldwinds and Haddonfield again.

BHVR, we need a nostalgia mode. Pretty please with extra sugar and sprinkles on top.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,791

You would have loved the Old DBD, my friend, I'm certain of it. You know how it looked like, but actually playing it was a wonderful experience, vastly different from what current DBD has to offer.

And yes, we really do need a classic mode. Or even a classic filter, we know the game would support it because modders actually did that, during that very brief age of modding.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,240

As nurse is considered a special case....

Blight?

IIf survivors get to claim "survivor+comms+best players at using comms" as what "survivor" should be, i dont see why "killer" shouldnt be all at least at the level of the cutrent top 5.

Btw, unlike with survivor you can buff weaker killers without changing the stronger ones.

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,134

If you wanna invest some time you could download some old dbd builds and try it out, but not sure how hard it is to set everything up haha

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

Is that still a thing? I seem to recall there being a server that was taken down but maybe I'm mixing that up. I'm also not quite sure how legal this is. I reckon it would be treated similar to pirating.

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,024

I'd say probably Wesker is the gold standard of balance: fun to play, decently powerful but not OP, you have to be skilled to play as and against him, so on and so forth.

However, if I could add a killer that is the most unique, I'd say Plague.

• JustAShadow
    JustAShadow Member Posts: 174

Right now probably Dracula.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,116

He also is relatively easy to use but hard to master... so at low levels Wesker's are just as fun to play as/against as much as high levels...

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 3,116
    edited September 27

I'm still saddened we never managed to get any traction for a classic Billy add-on that disables overcharge in exchange for blood points... 😢

They gave console Billy such a QoL change in his update where you can actually do some basic curves (not like PC ofc)... he became much more viable, but Overdrive is just a crap shoot on console... you just rev and pray xD

As fun as blasting across the map like you're on a hell fueled motorcycle is, I'd love to have a go playing OG Hillbilly without having to worry about flying off to Narnia periodically... 🤘

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,465

why? if every map is greenville squire, you have plenty of pallets to chain into one another making zoning less effective. if there very few pallets and the map is mostly open like Rotten field where it is giant dead-zone with super strong pallets on each corner, then zoning killer rain supreme because they only zone select few pallets and there is nowhere to switch loops which allows for guaranteed hits. Since all the pallet are safe, like all 10 of them let's say, it means that survivor can practically pre-drop all pallets and finish 4/5 or 5/5 gens because killer is just playing robot pallet break simulator.

======Answer to OP

I would say that survivor answer to a killer that they enjoy playing vs is a killer that they perceived as strong but is simple in their mind to escape from. The killer answer is a killer they perceived can beat any level of survivor and is strong in their mind. I think there is a single killer that really encapsulate those two idea's. that killer is Oni. Many killer player rate Oni as very strong killer power such that they can beat any team with it and many survivor player rate perceived strong killer that is difficult to escape vs but in their mind, they escape fairely against him making him somewhat of push-over. that is ideal killer. a killer that survivor can shrug off as push-over that is easy too escape from but that killer believe is powerful.

• Polyphenol
    Polyphenol Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3

Wesker, Dracula or Nemesis.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,993

The way I see it this has to be split into 2 categories: Range vs melee

The gold standard of a fun but strong range killer is easily Huntress.

For "melee", I'd say Billy, Oni, or Demogorgon tbh. I can actually have fun against them in chase

• Sandt1985
    Sandt1985 Member Posts: 327

Now that Alchemist Ring was nerfed and he no longer has hug techs, I think Blight is in a more then fair state. Slightly nerf his current Iri addons and he's golden

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 725

Wesker feels like the gold standard to me at this point.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,759

A fair portion of the roster feels 'fine' to me, with probably 3 to 5 outliers that are too strong or too weak. Some people have said Wesker and I think that's a good answer.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,890

I say Blight.

• Jock21
    Jock21 Member Posts: 27

Pre-nerf Unknown and Dracula.

• Rick1998
    Rick1998 Member Posts: 249

wesker , oni are perfect strong yet fair type killers

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 977

Unknown and Demo.

• rglarson13
    rglarson13 Member Posts: 205

As someone who plays both sides pretty equally (more survivor lately, given all the events and their chances to play some swf) I feel like the vast majority of killers are pretty alright, and the big difference is killer skill.

But then the problem becomes that killers interpret a 4k as skillful play, and it's not super hard to get a 4k if you camp and tunnel while using scourge hooks and jolt. Because sure, survivors can loop for a while, but against a competent killer (just average, not taking expert) the killer is eventually going to win the chase, which means someone is going on a hook, and then the camp/tunnel begins.

So you have mediocre killers playing in ways that are exceedingly boring to play against, feel unfair to solo queue, and basically just make the game awful if you happen to be the chosen one.