We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Distressing

How do you feel about this perk? What are its strengths and weaknesses? When do you like to run it? And Survivors, how do you feel playing against Distressing?

Comments

• CountOfTheFog
    CountOfTheFog Member Posts: 2,244
  • Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,470

bad perk. the perk should do something inside killer tr. The perk has no tangible benefit as stand-alone perk.

an idea is to make the perk make survivor suffer a -3% hindered penalty when a survivor is in the killer terror radius when outside of a chase.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,668

Hm… It’s so funny. I can see how bad it is. But in its own weird way I can see how it kind of acts like a gen defense-lite as well as its own type of stealth.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,447

The perk doesn't do anything on its own and without using specfic killers, perks, and maps it's still lackluster.

Could use an update but clearly not a priority

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,126
    edited October 1

I like to use it on Killers whose TR audio I like (though I don't hear it myself). Like Pyramid Head.

It would best be used to make Survivors less sure of your position/cause them to think about escape routes at a larger range, as though you could be closer than you actually are (similar to how Wesker can benefit from this by making it less obvious at range where he is through information overload (if you always hear the TR, you still can't be sure where they are)).

Though this is a very minimal effect, best on indoor maps, the chase indicator kinda reduces the uncertainty (and otherwise would be negated via comms "he's chasing me/he left"), and the sequential TR ranges/audio work against it being useful, as the survivor still gets good intel on how close you are.

Were I to change it I'd make it so that:

"Distant Survivors hear your TR as though they were closer. (not the closest out of chase music, but the middle)"

This means that survivors won't know if you're getting close via the incremental TR ranges until you're within 8m.

But that's still a bit lackluster and honestly could be considered "flavor".

If you want to make it a counter to Windows of Opportunity (and other Killer aura read effect), you could make it such that: Survivors you are in chase with suffer from the Blindness status effect.

An information suppression perk.

End result:

Survivors hear your distant Terror Radius as though you were nearby (is it called approaching?). (more about ambiance)

Survivors you're in chase with suffer from the Blindness status effect.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,204

I don't know if it still works well, but using it in an anti-heal loadout on pig map was pretty brutal. Clownophobia, Distressing, Unnerving, Sloppy. I used this a lot with Billy a while back. Meme build, but hella funny.

• HerInfernalMajesty
    HerInfernalMajesty Member Posts: 1,668

Monitor and Abuse is so good to use this with. Agitation mixes the radius even more. It’s really interesting the effect it has on Survivor gameplay. Too scared to do gens, but at the same time desensitized to the changing TR. It’s kind of a guilty pleasure.

• A_T_E
    A_T_E Member Posts: 112

I love it.

• Strengths:

Can be combined with Doctor for increased Static Blast radius, very effective on any map.

Can be combined with Legion for increased Terror Radius during Frenzy, meaning you get Killer Instinct at a greater distance (I recommend using an addon that increases Frenzy duration, if you use this perk on Legion).

Can be combined with Terror Radius effect perks, like others have mentioned: Coulrophobia, Unnerving, Overwhelming Presence.

Give extra Bloodpoints in Devious Category, can be combined with Killers with low Devious BP generation, for when you want to run a BP match with a particular Killer. Combine it with other BP perks generating perks like Beast of Prey for more BP in Hunter Category. Thrill of the Hunt is okay, too, but not that great. I personally use Discordance + some kind of aura reading perk to easier find Victims to chase around, pretending I'll hurt kill them and totally not let them go at the end.

• Weaknesses:

It's weak outside of the particular circumstances mentioned above. It affords no benefit (except BP) to Killers that have no benefit from a greater TR. In fact, it would probably be negative on most Killers, because you don't want to give Victims more of a warning than necessary.

How do you feel playing against Distressing?

Because it's so rare on Killers that aren't Doctor, I am usually confused at first, until I realize it's Distressing

I then force myself to more or less ignore the TR to focus gens, because TR going crazy now means nothing, as opposed to normally it would mean the Killer is close.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 372
    edited October 1

Bad perk that is a staple in most doctor builds.

Also your suggestion is broken. Just no.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,470

Right….

the perk has as much of kill-rate as running 4 empty perk slots.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715

Distressing isn't super meta but I like it. It's a perk that only serves to synergise with other TR perks or Doctor / Wesker.

It definitely messes with a survivor's head when they hear your TR for the entire match too. It's a niche but fun perk.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,622

I like it as “build enabler” perk. On its own, it might not do much, but that’s perfectly okay imo. Because it takes a whole slot, it rather elegantly limits how many debuffs you can stick inside your larger terror radius.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,535

Bloodpoint good.

• ChuckingWong
    ChuckingWong Member Posts: 372

K so you dont really know how to look at night light it seems.

Pretty much exactly what I said.

Bad perk that is a staple in most doctor builds.

Hope this helps clarify some of your confusion.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,268

Distressing is a support perk, it's absolutely fine for it to be weak on it's own because it has a multiplicative effect with it's synergising perks and powers.

It's like Lethal Pursuer, a limited effect by itself but a staple for any aura builds. Or Hex Undying, weak on it's own but protects your other Hexes.

Making perks like these more powerful on their own leads to balance issues when you stack their effects.

What I will say is that it's a little odd to still have perks with Bloodpoint modifiers. I would have thought they'd have removed this by now and adjusted the Deviousness scores for some of the struggling killersn but maybe they've put that on the back-burner for the time being.

If and when this does happen, then I can see them replacing the BP bonus with a more tangible effect, but still something that isn't too impactful on it's own.

• dinocrisis2
    dinocrisis2 Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 3

Here is a buff I have for Distressing. It keeps the current effects of 26% TR and 100% bonus deviousness bp.

Hear the heartbeat of survivors. The closer you are, the easier and more directional it is to hear the heartbeat.

Increases the terror radius when a survivor is on the hook. (Survivors are further in distress)

• Sngfun
    Sngfun Member Posts: 270

Dude you will end up reviving moonwalking legion lol

On the other hand, does it still make chase music louder?

I know it is an unintended effect but I remember it working some time ago, but have noone to test it whith