We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Voice chat wouldn't improve DBD for most survivors

adsads123123123123
adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,132
edited October 3 in Feedback and Suggestions

People largely overrate how many people use voice chat. In actual competitive games where people are sweating their asses off to win, like Dota, CSGO, and Overwatch, voice chat is still rarely used. Voice chat only starts getting some competitive usage at the top 5% of MMR/ranks. If voice chat was added to DBD, the same would occur. Only the top MMR survivors benefit from voice chat while solo queue still sucks for most survivors.

Also, you're in for a surprise if you think voice chat will suddenly result in massive improvements in team cooperation. If you've ever played any other competitive team game, you would already know that telling your team to do stuff is mostly useless. Most of the time, they will just keep doing w/e they're doing and ignore you. This would probably be even more prevalent in DBD since most survivors are casuals playing for fun. Complaints about teammates and matchmaking still occur regularly in games with chat.

I actually think voice chat would make the experience worse for most survivors. In all competitive games, toxicity is high because people frequently flame their team for losing and making mistakes. If voice chat was added to DBD, the more likely outcome is that people would use it to rage and flame their team. You can mute people in other games, but it doesn't change the fact that toxicity is high and a report system is needed.

Post edited by adsads123123123123 on

Comments

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 749

I don't know... if say by chance, one day decided to one day enable or add voice communication (either proximity chat or simple communicationby survivors alone). There is a great chance that I can Agreed with you and it can backfired on it intended purposes. I played alot of online games like Overwatch, fortnite, and sometimes fallout 76. It tends to be all used for more not so serious and obnoxious noises like mic spamming or playing music in the background or even the worse, the kids playing the game with microphone right up to their lips and screaming (or Squeakers, as we like to call them).

It would totally ruined the immersive of the horror game atmosphere especially if mute buttons is not available. On the other hand, I also kinda want it to happen so that survivors can learn to be upset and be more vocal about their useless survivors teammates and be less towards the killer, everytime it literally not always the Killer's fault for bad plays on the survivors end. That would mostly certainly not work, if they DC or quit as soon as they die immediately.

In all honesty, I think the game is in much healthier state if it stays clear from voice communication in general and more information provided to the player in the Hud, as well as maybe... a ping/com display system to send like quick message chat to the rear of the survivor.

• ppmd
    ppmd Member Posts: 122

That's an interesting perspective. I wonder if having it be an unlockable option would be useful then.

• Ohyakno
    Ohyakno Member Posts: 1,092

They won't ever add voice chat because they cannot moderate it. That's it.

• Royval
    Royval Member Posts: 634

this should’ve been in dbd ages ago back during the 4 white portraits. It’s so sad it’s never been implemented.

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,024

Voice chat would only result in making the game more toxic.

Swearing, bad mics, loud music being blasted in the backround, half of the survivor playerbase won't use it, etc.

• adsads123123123123
    adsads123123123123 Member Posts: 1,132
    edited October 3

There's a massive difference between talking with strangers and friends. Friends are like-minded individuals people enjoy being with. Strangers are randoms that can do anything. You're in for a surprise if you think voice chat will suddenly result in massive improvements in team cooperation. If you've ever played any other competitive team game, you would already know that telling your team to do stuff is mostly useless. Most of the time, they will just keep doing w/e they're doing and ignore you. This would probably be even more prevalent in DBD since most survivors are casuals playing for fun. Complaints about teammates and matchmaking still occur regularly in games with chat.

You can mute people in other games too. It doesn't change the fact that toxicity is high and a report system is needed.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715