Some sequels need to take a break for a while

angel_pellegrino
angel_pellegrino Member Posts: 23

I'm not saying that all sequels are shameless money grabs, and there haven't been any good one's ever, but there sure as hell seems to be more stinkers riding the coattails of nostalgia than there needs to be.

Comments

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,189

It's because Hollywood doesn't like taking chances. I actually just read an article about this: Hollywood Needs to Prioritize Research and Development or It Will Die.

No courage, no creativity. Studios specifically focus on existing IPs and banking on nostalgia, it's basically their entire M.O. at this point. Remakes of movies, remakes of TV shows, sequels. I think that's one of the reason indie games are so popular, because they're visions created by a passionate person or small group of people, they take risks, they're not designed from the ground up by a committee.

Hollywood is unlikely to change anytime soon: it doesn't learn from its failures, it blames the fans of the IP for having bad taste.

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 534
    edited October 10

Thats because statistical analysis companies and their consequences have been a disaster for the human race.

Most businesses, including hollywood and the gaming industry, there is a push to try to understand human beings using numbers, and when something works once, it must do so again right? If that failed, well its not because we try to quantify things with numbers that cannot be quantified, its just somewhere a number is wrong, thats the real problem right?

One of the funniest examples is Walmart in Germany, it failed because of the culture they brought from the US that just isn't compatible with ours. People just didn't wanna go their because of their greeters and smiles, its something that puts us off like you wouldn't believe. Not smiling might make an american think they are not appreciated or something like that, but a german?

It straight up triggers our fight or flight response, the smiles they are forced to give causes a german woman to switch the side of the street and pick up the pace, man will to stare at you trying to figure out if you going to jump on them with a knife the second the back is turned. Walmart was the uncanny valley here.

Yet everything was blamed, few things were tried but always at the wrong place, they saw what works in their biggest markets and hey, numbers on spreadsheet say this, it can't possibly be wrong! It must have been the laws that prevents predatory pricing! Or those workers unions (especially those evil communists at ver.di!), thats to blame for the lack of customers right? It couldn't have been us not understanding those germans (WHAT ARE GERMANS EVEN, I LOOKED AT SPREADSHEET, NUMBER DID NOT QUANTIFY GERMAN) and creeping them at every turn.

• AGlassOfOJ
    AGlassOfOJ Member Posts: 31

Reading this thread has been bewildering. Watching people form coherent sentences and have an actual human discussion on a DbD board is giving me whiplash compared to the constant coping, screaming and complaining from the insane individuals on DbD twitter. My brain can't comprehend it, this is a DbD fan, but he's talking like an actual human and making sense?

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 534
    edited October 10

Off Topic boards on many communities are the most enjoyable because that is where the people who come to do more than just complain and leave in between matches hang out.