We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Is BHVR moving away from Breakable Walls?

They just removed another breakable wall and it's the small square house in Springwood. I also noticed they removed the aura of breakable walls from Zanshin Tactics.

Are you going to discontinue the breakable walls concept?

Comments

• buggybug
    buggybug Member Posts: 125
    edited October 11

I think killers themselves want them gone but I could be wrong which I think its a positive as breakable walls I admit just hinders them more sometimes like one in midwitch by gate with the reception desk they are pretty force to break it.

Idk why woo still keeps them shown cause survivors cant interact with them yet tatics lost thst ability. Maybe its cause aura read is now on it so to not make too strong idk.

• IAmGilgamesh
    IAmGilgamesh Member Posts: 22

Didn't they just removed the 2 breakable walls from the bathroom area in Midwich?

Idk. The only maps that I really have a problem with breakable walls are forsaken boneyard and grave of glenvale.

• IAmGilgamesh

'They' discovered? You mean BHVR? Where did they say that?

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,092
    edited October 11

I'm not complaining. Breakable walls largely fall into two categories - walls that benefit the killer and should never be removed, and predropped god pallets that the killer needs to remove before they can use a loop. Whenever I load into Dead Dawg or Midwich as killer, I'm obligated to do a cleanup loop of the worst offenders before I can start looking for survivors.

There are a couple walls that I think actually succeeded in the original concept, ones that are situational whether or not you want them gone; these are on Badham and The Game. But they're few and far between, and Badham's walls wouldn't be a question if the preschool basement wasn't an unhookable zone half the time.

The two walls they removed in Midwich were another case of actually good breakable walls that the killer could actually weigh whether they wanted them or not. (Or to be extra sneaky and only break one…)

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 1,021

They also removed them from the window class rooms, but breakable walls were an important balance factor there. Now those room are pretty bad.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 1,021

I think breakable walls are good, but could have been improved. They worked a bit as pallets at strong windows and once the breakable walls are broken tge windows become weaker, which was fine, but letting those bad windows spawn without breakable walls is pretty bad.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,791

I hope so. Honestly I never liked Breakable Walls, I always thought they were a failed concept.

• IAmGilgamesh

Oh yeah I just played midwich and something was off about the rooms too. Thanks for telling me now you confirmed my suspicion

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,618

They have barely appeared in the newer maps too. AFAIK, neither Dvarka Deepwood maps, Borgo maps, or Greenville Square have any whatsoever. Which would make Garden of Joy and new Haddonfield the most recent maps to have them at all.

Generally, they fixed an issue that they created themselves. As said by others, the vast majority was either a must-break or a must-not-break wall. There were a few that provided interesting choices, like on Midwich, but I got the impression they didn't quite know what to do with them to begin with.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,126

Those were examples of good breakable Walls. Sad that they got removed.

In general, I am always for no Breakable Walls and I would also say that BHVR is going to remove them, because the most recent Maps dont feature Breakable Walls + a few got removed.

But I think some of them are fine - e.g. the ones on Midwhich near the Window Rooms. Or the one upstairs on Ironworks of Misery. But it is kinda lazy to just remove them without do any more Balance changes to those areas.

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 725

🦀🦀🦀

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,715
    edited October 11

It appears that way.

This might be a bit of a hot take but I like the general idea and execution of some breakable walls.

Breakable Walls were introduced to add some strategic choices for the killer. You could open up new ways for yourself but the survivors could use them as well. That is the one good thing about The Game as a map.

Most of them however are not strategic at all. It's either a "Always break this one." or "NEVER break that one."

• ArkInk
    ArkInk Member Posts: 684

When I pictured Breakable walls back in the day, I was thinking they would use actual map assets and would fit naturally into the aesthetic and design of each realm, instead we basically got boarded up doorways that often times should immediately or should never be broken.

I would greatly appreciate this mechanic being redesigned at some point.

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 877

Breakable walls have been dead to me ever since Plague was nerfed to no longer infect breakable walls

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 1,002

I actually don't hate breakable walls when they are done right. The ones in Midwich are a good example. If you don't break them, it creates a god loop, but if you do then the loop becomes very weak. The problem is on maps like Groaning Storehouse and Dead Dawg Saloon where if you don't break the wall it keeps as a god loop and if you break it, then it is still a busted loop.

• Senile_Grandpa
    Senile_Grandpa Member Posts: 21

Breakable walls are good if they're done right.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,126

I don't mind them when they can be used to jump-scare survivors such as with some breakable walls near generators with Stealth Killers (like on The Game). Or if they open up new paths (The Game and Midwich).

But as a chase concept, they kinda fall flat. It's only something that adds gameplay value to the Killer, who already has a myriad of options to change up their gameplay with different Killer powers and the like. And as others have said: it's either a "God Pallet" that needs to be destroyed and just becomes something to checklist to break, or it's mostly irrelevant.

Were Survivors able to use Keys to pass through them (albeit it would essentially be a God Pallet dependent on someone bringing a Key and ultimately be something to begrudgingly kick whenever you can to prevent the Survivor from having it as an option if you see someone bring a key), or if temporary Breakable walls could be constructed in certain points as a route blocker upon an item use (that the Killer needs to decide on smashing through, or going around and letting it fizzle. (For example: using a Key will consume it, but a Breakable wall will form on a nearby valid doorway for 8s, the Killer can kick it with enhanced break speed, or they can wait/go around another way).

• Bookern
    Bookern Member Posts: 319

tbh i wanted survivors to be able to break breakable walls so they could create new routes for themselves spice up there gameplay

• Autharia
    Autharia Member Posts: 94

Breakable walls also hamper survivors a lot in the meat plant. They create dead zones if the gen next to it isn't complete.

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,024

I think they shouldn't be on every map, but more of a realm dependant gimmick (like the pipes in Nostromo)