We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Early preview at possible Trickster update (Official)

OrangeBear
OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,688

https://www.reddit.com/r/deadbydaylight/comments/1g48d4a/design_preview_the_trickster/

I'm very happy they are looking into the trickster again and are trying something they have not done before (early preview)

Personally as trickster is one of my favourite character, i started playing game for all-kill chapter.

I like that they are listening to the very detailed feedback that i've seen some trickster players share.

Personally i have been performing a lot better and it's mostly thanks to no recoil and 4.6m/s for me. I see recoil removal would be staying which is great and i really hope it does because i personally found it majorly frustrating.

I wish 4.6m/s would stay but i understand it could be too strong with 6 laceration.

Main event throw multiplier is already 66% they already reverted that.

The laceration decay is a nerf, it's 15 seconds right now, was 15 seconds in the 2nd iteration so they are doing something new and trying 12. I think this is worth trying.

The per throw modifier i think will be okay to punish survivors heavily outpositioned. Atm memento blades is a must have to just barely able to do this.

In terms of add-on changes i think death throes compilation needs a rework. It's very underwhelming atm and is too similar to diamond cufflinks. Since main event will be a lot less frequent a lot of the main event add-ons will also not be as good. I would hope to see more add-on changes.

These are my first impressions for now

Comments

• AhoyWolf
    AhoyWolf Member Posts: 4,134

they have not done before (early preview)

Object of Obsession :,)

• Ziemniaczana
    Ziemniaczana Member Posts: 29

Finally. I hope they give some attention for the knight as well.

• supersonic853
    supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,531

you might have hope too. This is the 2nd killer to go back to their roots for another shot of buffing. 3rd if you count billy.

• SoGo
    SoGo Member Posts: 1,021

I'm glad they are trying this out.

• Langweilg
    Langweilg Member Posts: 1,018
    edited October 15

What they plan to do is great. It gives me hope for Sadako to get her first version back while keeping all the good stuff. I probably would have mained him if they didn’t rework him.

It is a great sign for the games future when the devs acknowledge when they did mistakes and are willing to revert them also for other stuff in the game.

The only thing they should probably not completely revert is main event to 30knives. It should be something like 24knives.

Post edited by Langweilg on
  • OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,688

Personally i've enjoyed this version of trickster more than the old one. But i admit the main event spam is boring as well as memento blades being a must have. And it's been sad to see players give up on him because it think he is an incredible character and bhvr clearly likes the trickster a lot too, i just hope they can get his gameplay solid so he can be a more popular character.

• Jock21
    Jock21 Member Posts: 27

Horrible changes, 110% Trickster was by far one of the worst killers in the game, devs clearly just want to nuke him like they did with Knight and Skull Merchant so survivors mains will stop crying about him.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,299
    edited October 15

I feel like some of the new changes are alright but I admit I found older Trickster more enjoyable. I don't mind them but I found myself more dependent of using main event over their normal ability since the change. That being said as I don't main them I don't really have any notable input from long term committing as I found myself drifting from the killer since the changes.

I did enjoy the movement speed change but on top of the other changes everything felt like it was too much. I admit I am very indifferent about both versions now. My genuine hot take is Trickster is the only killer in the game that makes me genuinely believe BHVR shoots themself in the foot confining killers to 110 / 115 ms or 24 / 32 TR (With rare exceptions).

• BurnedTerrormisu
    BurnedTerrormisu Member Posts: 104

All the changes and he will still be unfun to face as killer. He was / is not too strong, he is just unfun in his current form.

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 725

👎👎👎

• Langweilg

This gives me hope for freddy and sadako. I hope they do this for them too. They already said they want to do this more in the future if everything goes well. This is a great thing if they continue.

• Ricardo170373
    Ricardo170373 Member Posts: 696

I personally think he need to be a 4.6, oposite the Deathslinger or Huntress Trickster never can remove a healthy state instantly with his power, he needs keep up during the chase, he cant be comapre to huntress or deathslinger. The best solution is

The old Trickster in the base, but

4.6 movement speed and incresce main event to 15 blades, but, reduce the main event charges one by one for every missed knife, so, if u miss knifes the main event will be delayed, and reduce the time to 5 seconds active isntead 6.

• Gardhome
    Gardhome Member Posts: 61

Awful changes make him 110% already bad to play but 30 knives for main event is simply trash cause you almost never keep such hits and also there is no place when you can use it (problem of old trickster)

• Gardhome

He became weak garbage again, what W in this situatiion?

• Gardhome

It was only good changes from his rework so reverting it sucks

• falabrak313
    falabrak313 Member Posts: 5

My take:

-Keep 4.4

-Reduce main event requirements blades to something like 18

-Revert both Death thrones and Iri photocard:

Old Death thrones won't be too oppressive with more than 8 blades and also not too bad with 30 blades

And Iri photocard will just be worse with 4.4 speed

• Choaron
    Choaron Member Posts: 333
    edited October 15

Knight is fine though? Trickster's rework is actually problematic.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,780

As to Death Throes Compilation specifically: They could just revert that addon back to the previous version (automatic reload after Main Event). Its old effect only became a problem because of the rework making Main Event more common so it got changed after that PTB, but if it goes back to 30 blades to activate it would be fine again

• Gardhome

Good thing that on Reddit people say that Trickster should stay 4.6m/s it was only good changes from his rework

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 875
    edited October 15

I always felt they should have buffed either his speed or his blades, but in the end they buffed both and that was a mistake in my opinion. If he reverts to 4.4 speed, I think he should still keep some of his blade buffs though (beyond the QOL stuff). My experience with him previous to the rework was that you might get Main Event maybe once or twice a trial and never when you wanted it. It felt kinda useless sometimes, so I wouldn't want to go back to that. Just so long as Trickster doesn't get it so often that it feels oppressive it will be an improvement. Prior to the rework, I was just a casual Trickster enjoyer, so I'm sure the opinion of Trickster mains will be a lot more informative and valuable than mine.

In any case, if rolling back some of the changes makes him feel fairer to face, I'll definitely be playing as him again. So I'm tentatively optimistic about some of these changes, since he's fun to play as and I love the character for his lore, sound design and aesthetics.

• Gardhome

If make him 4.4m and hes worst range killer with 12 hits to down. But im glad people on Reddit dislike this changes and slower speed mostly being scrapped.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,533

Welp, glad for Trickster mains, if it was what they wanted, but for me it will be another non-playable killer on the shelf.

• sharkster13
    sharkster13 Member Posts: 237
    edited October 15

I would revert everything as they said except one thing and that is the blade requirement for the main event, I would lower it.

One thing I would add to all of this is to make his "Trick Blades" addon base kit. This I feel would make him stand out from other ranged killers and his blades would be more meaningful in a chase. That way you could use "a trick" as the Trickster to either choose to hit a survivor or show your skill set of how to calculate where to aim for the blade to ricochet. That way he'd be different from Huntress for where you need just 1 hatchet to injure unlike here where you need several blades to injure a survivor. His chases would become more fun and unpredictable, but it would also put him somewhere in between the Huntress and the Unknown as far as of the scale for the ranged killers. I would even consider rewarding the player where if you can ricochet a blade off of the environment it would count as 1.5 lacerations instead of 1 or 0.5, sort of like rewarding the player for using his power like they did with the Hillbilly.

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 164
    edited October 15

The only concern about this killer is that he is extremely strong defending a hook, this change will do nothing about that. Wasting time on a simple rock with a 4.4 killer because his power is useless for that situation is not what I would call a good change.

• NickMilian
    NickMilian Member Posts: 88

It's kinda disheartening to see all these things getting worked on when you have weaker killers like Sadako, who's demanifested invisiblity duration has been bugged for 10 months now with no ETA on a fix.

• Langweilg

It gives me hope for her. Maybe we even get her old version with some other changes back, which was more fun to me.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,243
    edited October 15

That's so much… why not revert things in small increments? See if a couple changes have a ripple effect or if more needs to be done rather than doing so much at once?

(I'm still annoyed how so many changes were made to Legion at once. I was never thrilled by Legion's gameplay, but as an M1 killer he should be decent for console… except whiffing takes him out of his power. So poor FPS and controls on previous gen consoles destroy him before survivors even get the opportunity.)

• 100PercentBPMain
    100PercentBPMain Member Posts: 877

4.6 feels awesome, but I'd gladly give it up if itmeans getting help elsewhere.

• Jock21

Unknown and Artist are both 115% speed ranged killers whom are much stronger than 115% speed Trickster as it is, so your entire point about ranged killers needing to be slower is moot. Current Trickster isn't even making the A tier of any tier lists so complaining about him is genuinely a skill issue.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,701

I think BHVR is trying to figure out if there really is a massive percentage of people that want 4.4 Trickster back, or if it's just a small group of people spamming complaints about Trickster's rework.

Because if it turns out that the majority of people think 4.6 is better, then we might not need any changes reverted at all.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,243

I like 4.6 Trickster for the sole reason that I'm not great at aiming ranged killers on controller at all (slightly push on analog stick, nothing, slightly push, nothing, slightly push, camera moves a mile), but I sometimes just really want to play Trickster and twirl that bat, so 4.6 lets me play him as an M1 killer. It's a totally personal nonsense reason that has nothing to do with his balance, I accept it's ridiculous, but still… I like him at 4.6. lol

• sizzlingmario4

Artist (often) and Unknown (always) both have to hit survivors twice with their power and unlike Trickster it isn't spammable either. Missing 1 Trickster knife means little to nothing, missing a dire crow shot or UVX hit is a bigger deal and is generally enough for survivors to "reset" the power through repelling crow swarms or staring down Unknown. That's why those killers are fine being 115% and Trickster isn't.

• Jock21

But if they hit them Unknown and Artist have much shorter chase times and much more map pressure than Trickster could ever achieve (unless he snowballs hard from Main Event). Also again Unknown and Artist are placed much higher than Trickster in virtually all the killers tier lists, usually a whole tier above him as well so how come these 2 clearly stronger killers are fine but Trickster isn't ? Once again, just a skill issue playing against him.

• sizzlingmario4

I didn't say that Trickster was stronger than those killers overall. He's not. But just because Trickster isn't stronger than those killers doesn't mean he doesn't have problems or design issues.

A killer can be poorly designed and be weak at the same time. That's where Skull Merchant is right now.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,629
    edited October 15

It felt unfair to Huntress and Death slinger not having 4.6 - idk.

• FengShuiExe
    FengShuiExe Member Posts: 85

I'll have some trouble using Main Event again, and I'll have to just run through some loops like an m1 killer again, But outside of that half it might be fine.