The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Huntress needs an update, she is not fit for the new state of the game.

ChesterTheMolester
ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
edited March 2019 in General Discussions

I think she is no longer viable, while i may be partially biased on the fact that she was slightly overrated since her release, i believe that many changes from 2.0.0 did more bad than good.

The new DBD values pressure over sacrifices, this is the field where Anna is by far the worst Killer, with 110% MS, limited hatchets, the need to visit lockers, (mostly-) bad addons and a 45m directional lullaby she is really handicapped.

The new emblem system and matchmaking now hit her hard as not only is she doomed to get a low Gatekeeper score and a broken chaser score, the new matchmaking gets her matched with bad pings more often than not nowadays.

I think she needs a few general changes and a few new addons to bring her up to date, there is no around that if BHVR wants to keep going the direction they are currently going.

General changes:

- The Lullaby is reduced to 32m and the TR to 16m. Survivors will still get a bigger warning of her presence because its still directional and her lower MS relative to her average TR/lullaby, but no longer the ridiculous timespan that they currently get.

- The base charge speed gets increased. Her addons that increase charge time can no longer stack or get reworked. OR The charging sound is now more subtle and decreases faster with distance for survivors.

- Some maps like Yamoka Estate, Rotten Fields, Thompson House and Shelter Woods now have more lockers.

- Buffs for some general perks like PGTW and her own.

- TR perks affect her lullaby.

- A toggable crosshair for those that need or want it in the options. (for those who are new or not familiar with games like Insurgency or Killing Floor).

Addon changes:

- Many status effect addons now work till they are healed instead of a timer.

- New common brown belt addon. This one removes 2 hatchets while doubling her Deviousness score.

- Number buffs to some of the weaker addons like the gloves, MS while charging and cooldowns.

- New ultra rare that passively regenerates hatchets.

Comments

• Kagrenac
    Kagrenac Member Posts: 773

If they remove iridescent head I'm all for giving her better addons

• ChesterTheMolester

Im not entirely sure if its that problematic as many say they are, not only is this loadout expensive and rare (and therefore should be powerful) but i also think that the discussion about her ultra rare should not distract us from her base and how the changes over the last year affected her.

Though TBH im kinda indifferent to that addon anyway.

• Kagrenac
    Kagrenac Member Posts: 773

I just believe a ranged one hit down as opposed to one hit downs like cannibal and hillbilly where the killer needs to come to The survivor are more fair I'm retrospect.

Your idea of passive hatchets is honestly much more interesting and fair and I would love that in the game. Would save so much time for Huntress

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited March 2019

Keep in mind that Billy and LF don't have her downsides either.

For me i don't care that much. It makes the game more boring and tedious in fact, get it nerfed or reworked, i can't care less.

In fact i can count the times i have faced that loadout with 2 hands. Im not sure if its OP or not but its still highly exaggerated if you ask me.

But i don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about the addon so thats all im gonna say.

• Eross1b
    Eross1b Member Posts: 58
  • ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 53

huntress was only good with double wind-up adddons + old tinkerer and 5 one shot hatchet, the only reason she was popular its because of 360 non scope meme videos. I have neven seen a huntress in like last 50 games

• ChesterTheMolester

The thread was originally about how the changes of since 2.0.0 left her behind, especially the new emblems again but whatever... Talk about the iridescent heads.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290

I'm in full agreement with everything you said in OP. I'd also agree that almost all of her addons should be reworked and her base kit should be buffed. Faster reloading at lockers would be a welcome change. I'm a bit biased but I personally believe her Iridescent Heads have never had a place in the game no matter how players spin it. They could perhaps rework it to have no downsides but make it cause Deep Wounds who knows. It just feels like such a lackluster and boring addon.

I can see the crosshair thing being a subject of debate but I've personally never seen a reason to care about optional crosshairs. Most of the time if you miss without a crosshair you'll probably miss with one as well. It's only going to help inexperienced players get better it's not going to affected those who already play her.

• ChesterTheMolester

There should be one for the sole reason to help newer players, if inexperienced players have a chance to learn Huntress with some minor help that doesn't affect gameplay that much then we might have a few more players maining her then more Billies, cause there has been no shortage of them.

• Dustin

Yeah I agree I just remember the drama when Killing Floor 2 added crosshairs. It's funnier with that game because it's primarily a PvE game like who cares honestly.

Worst case scenario for Huntress is if they ever rework her addons they could give her a common addon that gives her crosshairs similar to how Nurse has a very rare addon that shows blink location. Although honestly my bias is that addon for Nurse should be a common as well.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited March 2019

Yes i remember that, i would have cared only when they didn't give the option to disable it, which most have. The ones who were still crying after that were kinda the same elitist shits that tried to kick you for playing SWAT after the perk release cause "muh meta" (despite being quite viable) while thinking they are gods gift to gaming.

And im not sure if it should be an addon simply because people could become dependant on them.

• Dustin
    edited March 2019

I know right my friend was the same way. He was saying only noobs would use sprint and crosshairs and if that's all they use they shouldn't play it's like mate what is wrong with you.

Regarding a crosshair addon I'd somewhat agree on being dependent on them could become a problem but at the same time it will eventually boil down to do they choose the crosshair over another addon? I don't see it as being the worst situation since it would primarily be to help them understand where hatchets will travel.

The thing I'm keeping mind with that addon suggestion is it's a compromise of what I'd be willing to accept because I'm pretty sure BHVR doesn't do optional features. There still isn't any colorblind options in this game for those who are color deficient so based off of that I can't see an optional crosshair happening. Plus BHVR's solution to everything is incorporate solutions into addons or perks. Not that I'm a fan of that solution I just accept it.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited March 2019

Regarding the crosshair, the Glowing Concoction add-on should be removed and replaced with something that gives you a crosshair, like Plaid Flannel for Nurse.

I can agree with most other stuff. I don't think her lullaby/TR should be THAT low, but it should be lower than what it is currently. Also IDK about the brown add-on that REMOVES hatchets, I would rather they have a brown add-on that gives an extra hatchet, yellow one adds 2, and the purple one adds 2 and increases her reload speed.

The exhaustion add-ons and Begrimed Head are fine as they are, but the other effect types need to be changed. Rusty Head is almost pointless if you run Sloppy since hatchets will proc Sloppy anyway.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited March 2019

The idea behind that perk was mostly taken from Padded Jaws and Speed Limiter. I don't see why it should not be a thing as its optional, like a challenge addon that rewards some potential extra BP.

And for the crosshair i don't see the point of making it green or above, even yellow is questionable. Because by the time they got a stack they already got used to the basics and that would make them completely pointless. If it even should be an addon at all it should be easily accessible.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

Good killers like umbra, zubat, scott etc. already destroy survivor teams with the huntress and I do believe that with her current state, she is one of the top tier killers in this game.

I just fail to see your argument, the only part that I can agree on is that some maps do need more lockers for her to use. I would also argue that directional lullaby should be removed because it makes it damn easy for survivors especially around long loops. That's about it.

• Maximus7
    Maximus7 Member Posts: 441

All she really needs (from a Huntress main) is for map design to not completely cuck her from using her hatchets. Lery's is insta-DC material because there's almost no place to use her power. Some loops just eat her hatchets. The environmental collision hitboxes need to be shrunk significantly and walls need to be lowered for her power to really work.

Also that nerf they did to her hatchet velocity in 2.0? Needs to be reverted. Those two changes (and FINALLY ADDRESSING GEN TIMES FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST) would put her in the exact spot she needs to be in.

• ChesterTheMolester

The argument is that while she is good at sacrificing survivors, she is to lacking in pressure to deal with the new emblems, BHVR does not want fast games yet she has no tools to stall the game, hell she is worse than basic. If BHVR does not want to make games longer by changing mechanics and want to rely on the playrs to slow the games down themselves then she will suffer cause the lack of map pressure puts her at the mercy of map choice, spawn RNG etc.

• ASurvkillivorer
    ASurvkillivorer Member Posts: 1,840

I actually think some killers Ultimates should actually be Ultimates. Not overbalanced crap with negatives. Huntress Iridescent is actually one that seems fair in terms of its ACTUALLY A GOOD ADD ON. With a reasonable con. Max 3 hatchets with no other bonuses possible? You better be damn good with that aim. This can ACTUALLY give a good killer an advantage if they know how to use her.

I like the Plagues Ultimates. An aura for an entire 5 seconds? Something that you wouldn't even need if you're a good killer? The Doctor literally has low tier add ons that do the same thing. Hmm so if a gen gets popped. I get a very short Corrupt Purge with decreased movement speed. Is it a ONE DOWN version or something? Worst Ultimate in the game contender?

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I'd be fine with these changes. She's fun but she just gets looped too easily on too many maps. Not to mention many maps where she's near unplayable against competent survivors like Lery's. Her negatives are stacked a little too heavy imo.

• Blue_Diamond
    Blue_Diamond Member Posts: 122

I came up with something that might give her map pressure, but not able to M1 and be ranged at he same time.

So she should have 2 modes:

1) Hunt Mode: 120% movement speed. You can only use hatchets, but charging and holding a hatchet slows you to 110%. You have no terror radius, but you lullaby is directional and 18m

2) Scout mode: 110% movement speed. You can not use hatchets. You have a 16m terror radius and your lullaby plays within 32m

This way, she can have speedy gen pressure but must use her hatchets to injure people, so she cannot M1 chase survivors when she has range.

Switching Modes will take 1.3 seconds and slow the Huntress to 105% speed

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

The only thing that maybe warrants a change is her lullaby distance being too big.

• ChesterTheMolester

Thats the biggest flaw, sure but i'd like to see changes that gives her more perk and addon variety cause she doesn't have much to work with.

The only loadout that is does not make her bad is BBQ + Whispers + Ruin + PGTW, Nurses or arguably Discordence and Surveillance.

See the pattern?

• thesuicidefox

No because then people would just abuse it. Huntress is about skill with hatchets and NOT needing the crosshair. It should be purple so that you can't just use the add-on every single game unless you want to spend the BP. It's there as a learning tool not as a permanent addition.

If you have trouble aiming with Huntress then you need to practice. You shouldn't just be given a crosshair, that nullifies the skill needed to use her.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited March 2019

If its not necessary, to which i agree, then how would you suddenly "abuse" it?

Having a mere crosshair does not make you good at playing Huntress, her skill is a lot more about getting survivors into LOS and predicting their moves more than anything, that just comes with experience a crosshair can't give you. Aiming them is not even hard to begin with. The hatchets require a FRACTION of the skill required to use a projectile in games like TF2 and that game has a crosshair believe it or not.

Its for those who are simply unexperienced with FPS and a lack of crosshairs, i have countless hours in KF and Insurgency so its not a deal for me, someone else might have some trouble and its ok.

• thesuicidefox

I could throw the question back to you, if it doesn't matter why do you need it? Since we are in a stalemate with that you have to look at other factors.

Any game where players are given a choice like this, the ones that take it will ALWAYS have an advantage even if the it's less of a factor at higher skill levels. The reason people would abuse it would be because they would just always use it and thus always have that advantage. A crosshair should be there to help you learn how to throw hatchets, not as a replacement for practice needed to do it on your own.

The reason Plaid Flannel is a purple add-on is to avoid this issue and make it a learning tool and nothing else. Otherwise every Nurse that would normally play without add-ons would use it, just because it reduces the chance they make a mistake. Even if they are good and they make a mistake 1 in 50 blinks, now it's 0 in 50 because the add-on removes the possibility they would mess up. At high levels that can actually make a difference, because every mistake counts. A crosshair for Huntress is in the same place. It should be purple rarity so that you start by playing without it, then you level up and get a few so you put them on to practice, then you stop dumping the BP into them once you learn it because it's a waste. But cut the BP cost in half and now it's just a no-brainer to always take them and use them. It's just not necessary.

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

I agree, I enjoy playing huntress but in the current state of the game, she just doesn't work as well as she used to. Sure she can get quick chases, but what's the point of that if you can't get to a gen in time afterwards. You're changes sound good to me because she needs SOMETHING to help her out, JuSt a LiL BiT

• Maximus7
    Maximus7 Member Posts: 441

Using a crosshair does help quite a bit, but you still need to be good with her. She actually has quite a bit of add-on variety, again her main issue is gens get done way too fast and too many objects just eat her hatchets. Address those and she's in a much better spot.

• ChesterTheMolester
    edited March 2019

1. If everyone has access to it then there is no abuse.

2. Its a projectile, not a hitscan. It will not tell you how long to charge and where to aim.

3. Ever used Plaid Flannel? That disgusting light beam actually hinders more than it helps, and even if it would then avoiding a mistake that only one in 50 blinks (in the chase obviously) is not worth a purple addon anyway as it can be multiple games.

4. Aiming a hatchet is the least skilled thing she does, there is not even vertical movement in most circumstances, and in a chase the survivor will usually take a good chunk of the screen on top of the fact you can hit anywhere. Its not an FPS like most others, head or nutshots don't matter.

5. Mindgames, prediction, map knowledge and game sense are the true skills, which take a while to master, a R20 will not turn into an unfailable, omniscient super veteran that god himself would be jealous off just cause the guy got a crosshair. Crosshairs are not so huge deals.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

Why do you have so many? They are so fun. I like to down a survivor just with the axe, hook them and wait at throwing distance. Then, when a survivor come to the rescue.... down you go! I got to slug the other 3 right there once.

• tt_ivi_99
    tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,463

@Blue_Diamond

Why dont you post this on fan creations? It's a nice idea for a killer's power if you develop it more :)

• thesuicidefox

@ChesterTheMolester

1) If everyone uses it, and it's intended for training or new players, then its abuse. If you are good with Huntress you shouldn't need a crosshair. Case and point, Sawed Off Shotgun in Gears of War 3 was meant to be a newbie training weapon to help them learn the game and give them a chance against veterans that know how to use the Gnasher. It ended up being completely abused by veterans because it required no skill and was an easy instant kill. Only another veteran could outplay a person using the weapon, and only by playing extremely lame (eg. keeping distance and using rifles). What you think will help people will in turn only be abused by those that already know how to play.

2) If the crosshair isn't showing you the projectiles path, what good is it? It's like demanding killers be given a totem counter even when they don't have a totem perk.

3) It helps enough that you will make less mistakes especially if you know how to play Nurse. Those instances where you might blink too short or too far wouldn't exist.

4) If it's not hard then you don't need a crosshair.

5) I'm not saying anything about rank 20's, I'm talking about rank 1's. Hence why I agree with you that Huntress should have a purple add-on that gives a crosshair, so that newer players have a way to learn the nuances of throwing a hatchet, but then it becomes too costly for veterans to waste the BP when they don't need it, discouraging them from abusing it. If they want to blow the BP on it, then that's a cost-benefit analysis they have to do. If it was a white add-on, there is no cost-benefit analysis because there's no cost only benefit.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

So rather than making it a toggeable option, just let it waste a spot in the addon list that could actually be good?

Those training wheels addons should be options, not clutter and wasted bp.

If people want a crosshair, give them one, those that dont want it can turn it off in the options, le gasp, you could even default the option to off and make one of the loading screen hints about that option.

Sadly after spirit its more likely devs cave in to "survivormains" and give her a stamina meter to limit the duration for windup, rather than giving her clown reload, crosshairs or viable debuff addons.

• VoodooTheKiller
    VoodooTheKiller Member Posts: 81

Dude, i maintain rank 1-2 as a huntress main. I don't understand how she is remotely not fit for whatever. She destroys in most circumstance...always.

• ShirtlessDwight
    ShirtlessDwight Member Posts: 190

Nope sorry but no. You're throwing balls not hatchets at chamfered boxes which are way bigger than survivors in a game with ######### hitreg.

I'd rather play vs billy or nurse because I know what to expect. Hunrtess most of the time rekts me while their hatchets not even touch me. I don't wanna tell you to git gut. Maybe get worse internet connection?

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814

Huntress can punish mistakes really well but is very weak in every aspect of the game against survivors that know games mechanics. Stealth? Long range warning. Looping? 110% ms. Pressure? 110% ms and need to visit lockers. All this to compensate ranged attacks. She does need some kind of rework, Plague is much better.

• HorsePower
    HorsePower Member Posts: 126

She is fine where she is. She is easily one of the top 5 killers in the game. Get better with her.

• VoodooTheKiller

Stealth? Whispers. Long range warning? never seen that as an issue. Looping? She is a loop stopper. 110% is great especially with having a range. Visiting lockers is just part of what you need to do. You have 5 hatchets...how many do you need to take out a survivor?

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    ColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616

Give her bouncing attacks. If she hits a survivor or a wall with a hatchet, it will ricochet off and hit a random survivor within 32 meters. The ricochet can hit the same survivor again and cannot be avoided by any means, including behind walls.

• HazeHound

@VoodooTheKiller Well, i can loop Huntresses on pallets for ridiculous ammounts of time. When survivors know what they are doing she isn't strong at all without good addons.

• VoodooTheKiller

I'm sure you wouldn't be looping hard with a high tier huntress.

• HazeHound
    edited March 2019

@VoodooTheKiller ofc smart Huntress is harder to loop, combine it with enduring fury and its killing machine. Faster wind up and exhaustion are super helpful too. The thing is, bbq and whispers are mandatory on her so there is only one viable build for her. Even with this she must loop longer than others due to her speed. Not fixed wall hitboxes are not helping.

Of course, most games have 1-2 potato survivors who will waste most pallets very fast or go down instantly, she feels very powerfull because she can punish mistakes very efficiently. With no pallets and most windows beeing easy to snipe she controls the game now. But in trial where people don't waste pallets and use brain she struggles. Not to even mention swf.

Edit: even with whispers stealth beats her because of longer time to hide. Speed can be exploited not only by looping, but by making middle gens first so she has to travel more. Those are not complicated mechanics to abuse.

• HazeHound

@VoodooTheKiller Also don't get me wrong man, I love Huntress. Her design, to play as or against her. She is just so satysfying (dem long hits). She also is just a noobstomper, but not a high rank killer. Especially when ranking up is harder, you will see difference in survivors.