A Super Simple Idea for Stopping the Rage-Quitters (reposted)

Options
yobuddd
yobuddd Member Posts: 2,259
edited April 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

I originally posted this in General Discussion, but with very few views, it was pushed down to page 4 before I knew it! I realize this is more if a Wishlist topic anyway, so I’m reposting it here in the hopes of having a good discussion about it. So without further ado:

When entering a lobby, each player (killer too) has a number displayed by their character representing how many times they’ve disconnected! The number resets to zero each week when the Shrine of Secrets resets. This will completely solve the problem!

Killers will likely lobby dodge anybody with an unreasonable number of disconnects tallied up since the last reset. Survivors will learn quickly that if they want to be able to get into any matches, they’d better not let that number get too high. 

We currently don’t punish rage-quitters because we can’t tell if they just have bad internet. Players with bad internet will be protected by this idea because they should only get a few disconnects throughout a week. A low, forgiveable number that doesn’t raise concerns. If they drop their connection too often, then their internet was so bad it was having a negative effect on the game anyway. In this case, it’s better for all parties if they take a break from the game until they resolve the problem. 

I think the number will allow the community to moderate itself. This should be an exceptionally easy thing to program in and it will have a huge positive effect. 

If we can handle a bit more of a programming challenge, it would be nice for the killer to be able to boot certain survivors from a lobby so that good ones aren’t affected by lobby dodges. (Good players will certainly complain about bad players joining and triggering a dodge, at least at the beginning.) I would say the option is only available against survivors who have a certain number of disconnects (10 or 15 perhaps). Maybe a sliding scale where the number is 5 for each day since reset. 

Anyway, what do you guys think? Just the number alone, silver bullet, yeah?

Comments

• Trash_Panda
    Trash_Panda Member Posts: 57
    Options

I think the killer having the ability to boot survivors would be a bad thing because any killer that knows a certain survivor is good will exploit that . Low rank killers will kick p3 survivors as they usually dodge them anyway it would be pretty annoying lol

• Rocky
    Rocky Member Posts: 42
    Options

Developers should add 2 modes: normal game and rating game (solo, party). If a player DCs in a rating game, he will got a ban until he wins 5 games in normal mode or wins 5 games in a row. Thus, for those who want play in a rating game, they will no longer DCs. And for those who have already got ban in a rating game, they will try to play fair in a normal mode, without DC`s.

The rating should be like MMR in DotA

Why i say solo and party? In rating game, if a killer plays against a SWF, he should will get more mmr than if he played against solo players. Because SWF is usually stronger than solo players Thus, the search in a rating game should be into only solo players and those who play the party. In the party, players must be divided into 2x2 or 4 players in 1 party

But for the rating mode, developers should at least adjust the matchmaking system because now the search is very unstable. Rating be are perfect when dedicated servers enter the game, then players will get a more stable ping and there will be much fewer reasons for DCs.

• yobuddd
    Options

I agree. That’s why they should only be able to boot those who have already disconnected a certain (unacceptable) number of times.

For example, you have a lobby with 3 survivors and their disconnect tallies are 1, 2, and 4. Finally a 4th player joins, but has a tally of 28. It’s unfair to the low tally survivors when you dodge this lobby. Instead, you simply boot the rage-quitter.

They need to meet a certain threshold, like 15 disconnects, before you have an option to boot someone. That way you can get rid of the 28-tally survivor, but can’t touch the 4-tally one even if they’re p3 with blue hair.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    Options

It would be better a direct punishment for intentional DCs (like a timeout) instead of basically prolonging lobby times, which could cause some side problems btw.

• yobuddd
    Options

While it would be nice, the current story is that direct punishment is unlikely as we can’t differentiate between legitimate DCs and rage-quits.

I think this idea is a good “Plan B” for several reasons.

1) Rage-quitters can no longer hide behind anonymity, since their number of DCs will be linked to them and visible to all.

2) Because they will miss out on significant play time, moderated by other players, this idea is “direct enough” punishment. They can easily link their behavior to the negative consequences and adjust accordingly.

3) They are not punished indefinitely, and each week get a fresh start. This encourages better behavior over time.

4) I admit, lobby times may increase during the first week or so after rolling this feature out. However, once the majority of players learn to keep their DC tallies low, it will become a non-issue.

5) All players will feel involved since it’s not some behind-the-scenes action by the developers. It’s good to know that justice has been served, rather than just hope it has. When you boot a player from the lobby, there is no doubt.

6) Because of the threshold for booting, there is no chance for this to be abused. The only ones who don’t get to play are the toxic rage-quitters who have done it to themselves. Better luck next week!

As an added bonus, survivors won’t always go running around with the rarest possible equipment configuration if they can no longer rely on DCs to prevent losses.

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814
    edited April 2019
    Options

I like the idea. I would however like to see a total number from previous week in () aswell.

I have my own solution to dc. When someone dcs and its obvious it wasnt tech issue (failing mind game, screwing up pallet, one second before hook to deny bbq ) i just follow their steam profile and mori them on sight. Guys who didnt dc in such games are just hooked twice and spoon fed tons of points (depending if they were tbagging or not). I don't actually farm with them in normal sense, i just throw them under the hook if that's their last, going hunting for others again.

It is the best feeling to see dcing can't actually staying untill trial ends (obvious swf) and getting mad cause everyone is maxed and pipped while they got 0.

Edit: @Rocky regarding swf i just think they should only face killers of higher rank than their avarage, or killers should be able to see who is swf so they can take better gear, and not bully solos by accident with it.

• yobuddd
    Options

Thank you! It’s encouraging to gain support for this idea!

i want to disagree with you about something though. Though I understand wanting to know the history of who you’re playing with, I think that being able to see their tally from the previous week would be detrimental.

Someone with a bad record will be allowed into very few (if any) games for a week. Through good behavior, they earn more playtime. If their previous week of bad behavior is visible (even if they’re good this week), then they will likely be punished for a 2-week period. This amount of time will likely frustrate people away from the game altogether and the community will shrink.

Overall, we need to focus on encouraging positive participation, not potentially ending participation altogether.

As for your current solution to DCs, I do something similar! I’ll keep a list of those who have rage-quit on me, and I’ll simply refuse to play with them. Lobby dodge.