Why is ranking and pipping so important?

yes
yes Member Posts: 361

^

Comments

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Its not. the system helps better match people based on time played and experience, but it's only real purpose is to shift out those who want to do the best and get as high as possible, from those who want to casually play the game.

People here take either side of it way too far and causes the outcry of "rank is #########" that we always see.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Honour. I feel proud being a higher rank than the majority of players.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited April 2019

For me, it isn't. I honestly do not care if I pip, safety pip, or de-pip. I only play to chill and relax, and to collect bloodpoints for the bloodweb. The bloodweb is all I care about.

Hell, recently I have suffered in the Pip category simply because there have been matches where I was completely steamrolling the Survivors, so I backed off so they could do some gens, get some unhooks and heals, and even let one or two escape in the end, just so we could all get some BP from the match.

The other night as Survivor, which I rarely ever play, my random team completely ran amok against an obvious baby killer playing Wraith. In the end, those three escaped. I went to the killer and let him chase, down, hook, and sacrifice me just so he could get some BP.

• Kilmeran

@Carpemortum Indeed. And while I see absolutely nothing wrong with folks who play DbD competitively and want that Red Rank, for me it's a casual game. All of my games are nowadays. Even when I play Overwatch or Paladins, it's only Quick Play mode (and some Arcade mode too, in the case of OW).

I did the whole competitive thing in the past with Overwatch. So much so, that I found it, for me, to be mentally unhealthy and it destroyed my fun in playing video games. I just hit middle-age, I'm too old for that crap. Before 2016 and Overwatch's competitive mode, I only ever played video games for fun.

So, about a year ago, I walked away from that play style and enjoy gaming again. Never again will I care about rank, MMR, or any of that stuff.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,552

Im somewhat in-between, i do play DBD rather casually, but i still try my hardest and would wish to be ranked with similar people (that dont dc at the slightest inconvenience)

• Carpemortum

@Kilmeran I hear that. I played all kinds of sp games and while I enjoyed halo 1/2 and unreal, I never really played competitively until League of Legends came along. That got toxic and after moving on to a few other games (Rocket League, R6) I found that it becomes stressful for me because as I get better, I get angrier at makin stupid mistakes or losing to things I know I can overcome. Then it turns into feeling like you HAVE to get higher ranks and it starts to turn into a job.

While I do enjoy the appeal of ranked modes, it's hard for me to play then for long periods of time, especially with how toxic other people can be.

• Kilmeran

@Carpemortum Precisely. Now, for me, I came from MMOs. Played them since EQ1 first launched in 1999, and although I also dabbled in single player RPGs, RTS games, and ARPGs like the Diablo franchise, MMOs were my thing.

I never played shooters until Overwatch, and that was only because I've been a Blizzard customer since 1994 and the characters and animated shorts sold me. I got good at Overwatch, studied the game religiously. Got to the point that my team of Friends & Family nicknamed me "coach." I might not have been able to pull it all off myself with a hero, but my tactics and strats usually led to a victory. Like mindgaming here in DbD, I learned how to mindgame and predict the enemy team in Overwatch based on map and their team comp.

But chasing that SR just got toxic and became a job, instead of something I played to relax. So, I walked away from competitive play.

And I've never felt better. Video gaming is fun again!

• Jamez666
    Jamez666 Member Posts: 26

Ranking and pipping is important so the Matchmaking system actually finds games. Other than that it means nothing more than a gold sticker for the month.

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

Rank is only important for those related achievements, after that it totally lost its value because you don't get rewarded for ranking up. That's why this game remains casual. If you don't care about pips and rank, playing is much more relaxing.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited April 2019

Well, if after rank reset you wait a couple weeks before playing you'll realize why it's important. Rank basically determines how many potatoes (and how much potato they are) you get in your matches.

• Bug_Reporter
    Bug_Reporter Member Posts: 673

Because if you dont play at Rank 1 you dont have the necessary SKILL to be able to talk about balance in this game.

• doitagain_
    doitagain_ Member Posts: 723

Honestly it doesn’t mean sh!t to me or any of my friends that play. I only care about if I live/die as survivor, my kill count and how many blood points I get. I don’t understand why anyone would care about pips when:

-There are no leaderboards

-No rank rewards

-Literally nobody cares if you’re rank1, it’s not an accomplishment by any means.

I get that there should be separate matchmaking for beginners but all the rest (rank1-14) should be thrown together.

• Carpemortum

Except they balance for low ranks.

Nice gatekeeping though.

• DarkWo1f997
    DarkWo1f997 Member Posts: 1,532

Literally proving thy self as one of the best. Feels good to have that skull next to your name.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436

Hey there, I find ranking and pipping important to me. May I make it clear, that I am specifically a Solo Survivor.

Simply because in any rank other than Red Ranks (4-1) it's extremely hard to find dependent Survivors. With this new pipping system, I wasn't even able to pip for more than half my games because of how poor my teammates were.

It's frustrating leading a Killer on a 6 minute chase - only to have 2 generators done. These are the games I'm having in Rank 10 (Where I currently stand - took a break for a while).

What's even more frustrating? Newbie Killers. Who dedicate and waste those 6 minutes trying to chase you when it clearly isn't working out. Majority of times these players are great at finding me consistently, but can't down me.

Is it fun? No. It's not fun. It's utterly annoying being in a skill bracket that doesn't match mine; I'm a top level Survivor, and that's where I should be, playing against top level Killers.

And yes, as a Solo Survivor, there's a tremendous difference between Rank 1 and Rank 10 - Dumber survivors, dumber killers. As bluntly put.

• Kilmeran
    edited April 2019

@Bug_Reporter and @Carpemortum, Well, look at it this way. If you look through my post history, I never post about balance this or that. Hell, I never posted about it in Overwatch either, and I did know that game.

See, here's the thing: You will never, ever, have a balanced PvP game, I don't care what the game is. It's a myth that a player base believes in, but it's an impossibility. Balance around the low ranks, and the high ranks are broken. Balance around the high ranks, and the low ranks are broken. There is way too much of a variance in skill within a PvP player base for a game to ever actually be balanced.

But, I've learned to work around what is OP and UP. I worked around Brigitte just fine when she was released and broken as hell in Overwatch, while others, including top streamers, were moaning and crying and leaving in droves. I worked around Doomfist once they over-buffed him. I learned to play around all the weakness Soldier 76 suffered for the longest time, and excelled with him. And the list goes on.

And once I learn DbD enough, I'll work around the crap here, too.

• Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604

No ranking rewards nothing, no point being in high rank

I had to derank myself to enjoy the game

Devs promised ranking rewards since launch, 3 years now

Identity V had them on launch and its a mobile DBD game...