The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is NOED broken?

Now I think for the most part we can agree that the answer is yes, but I’m curious what the general community consensus is. NOED has been around for forever, and it’s the one killer perk that I think is too OP in most cases (unless the survivors are full-time cleansers). I guess I should say that I’m a survivor main, but I’ve played killer enough to hate DS and other survivor perks as much as you killer mains (yes, I’m glad they changed DS I think it’s well balanced now). I just feel like I lose way to many survivor games because the killer had NOED and was chasing me when the last gen got popped. In my opinion the perk would at least be somewhat balanced if they remove one thing: the movement speed increase. Perhaps even a movement speed reduction would make the perk more balanced. Anyways, what do you all think?

Comments

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

Yes,

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

Before, no. But with the new totem spawns, and maps like the Game, Swamp and Lery's were it is pretty much impossible to find all 5 totems, yeah.

• Larcz
    Larcz Member Posts: 531

Mayby take perk small game? Wait what this perk is not in meta? Too bad...

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,442

Break the totems

Don't try to tank a hit when the gates are powered, instead wait for the killer go somewhere else or wait for someone else to get hit to check for NOED

Trivial to counter

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    edited April 2019

This is gotten super old so I'm just gonna start posting this for every new NOED thread. For everyone who thinks NOED is op/broken/unfair etc. You need to watch this and especially if you've not played the game since the perk was released.

• PunL
    PunL Member Posts: 136

I think its an ok perk.

Its like all the Hex totems, its strong when it comes into use, but it easy to conter. As allready said by small game (i allready put Small Game into my standard build just because of the exessive amount of Ruins out there).

I personally use it sometimes as killer, but I also have don´t rage if I encounter it as a survivor.

I allready played with people who are experienced enough to tell whether the killer has NOED (after the activation) just by looking on his movement speed, but I am not able to do that.

• Mc_Harty
    Mc_Harty Member Posts: 3,293

Yes. 5 totems for one Hex? Laughably unbalanced. I preferred the 2 minute timer.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

Listen i 100% agree that NOED is fine but you can't reasonably link a TydeTyme video and expect to be taken seriously.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

it really depends on it tbh...

if the totem is found, its gonna be broken .

if the totem is not found, it wont be broken.

thats how easy it is ^^

• GraviteaUK
    GraviteaUK Member Posts: 464
    edited April 2019

Is NoED broken simple answer no.

1. Find totems they are mostly easy and predictable.
    2. Struggling? Small game
    3. If the killer pops a NoED GET OUT DON'T GO FOR THE UNHOOK

It's really that simple you cannot possibly think the biggest counters to perks like Adrenaline and LoLMoM is broken when you can remove it both before AND after it activates.

Hell Huntress, and Legion can't even run the thing properly.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

I know the perfect way to nerf NOED.

Break all five totems.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

He he he not yet

*hears lightning in the distance*

FUCK! nvm

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

Broken easily yes

Broken, No

Because 90% of the time all totems are cleansed

and the other 10% when you are in a chase you hear a storm come from your totem as the aura fades away

• Cymer
    Cymer Member Posts: 946
    edited April 2019

Let's see, we have a perk, that activates only when all gens are done, so it doesn't help protecting gens and if you finish the game before the gens are powers, either by win or hatch (key or last survivor) the perk is absolutely useless and you played with 3 Perks at best.

During the trial the Perk can be countered by cleansing dull totems, it adds a nice secondary objective but not mandatory. Cleansing all dull totem, 5 at max removes the perk completely and rewards the survivors with some points.

After all gens are powered and one dull totem is left, it doesn't matter if a survivor already is cleansing it, the perk activates and light a dull totem. By cleansing the lit totems you remove NOED.

It gives a slight MS buff and Exposed status.

DH, MoM in injured state, BT and to an extend Unbreakable can counter Hex: NOED.

The perk is situational and therefore needs to be strong. There are plenty of counters to NOED, even good looping skills and use of remaining pallets and drops can prevent you from getting hit.

If you struggle against NOED pick your counter.

Either you want to try cleansing the totems, Detective's Hunch and Small Game are helping you find them, a map can assist you too.

Perks like DH, MoM, BT and to an extend Unbreakable can negate a hit. Especially the first 2.

Keys and hatch completely circumvent the NOED without finishing all gens or cleansing totems.

Sneaking and avoiding getting hit always works too, but need a lot of skill to pull of.

And of course, just leave through the gate.

Do you really need more counter-play options?

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

It's an ok perk in my opinion.

Useful only in the endgame, so it has to take the place of another perk that could have helped you avoid survivors finishing all gens.

It has counterplay, if a survivor is good at not getting hit it probably won't matter anyway.

If you use the perk Small Game you will find the totem in no time.

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

Yes, the should put more totems (8-10) and a counter of no cleansed totems, and it will be ok.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

It is fine

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

Feels a bit cheap, but no, not broken.

• Incirion
    Incirion Member Posts: 612

It's broken. It's way too easy for survivors to completely prevent it from even activating. And giving survivors the ability to just completely deactivate a perk before it even gives you any useful benefit is definitely broken.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080

Its cheap. 2 things i dislike about noed:

1. Noed furthers the gap between solo and swf, since solos dont know how many totems are left. You may aswell waste time for nothing. Add a totemcounter next to the gencounter and its fine.
    2. It is uncounterable against campers, which is a solo-stomping strategy already. Doing totems against campers is a guaranteed loss. You cant waste any second against campers not doing gens. Which will in turn activate noed. Lose-Lose for survivors against campers, in which case it has no counterplay.
  • Incirion

If you add a totem counter, then changes are NOED will never proc. If they add a totem counter to Small Game, I'd be fine with that. But just in general, that's too much information.

• Weederick

Even if it never procs, regardless wether you use it or not, it will still delay the game by 70s and help with the genrush meta.

It will still help solos to catch up with swf.

And survivors can stop complaining, since the tools to counter it are actually available. With a totemcounter one can really say, thats your fault.

3 good reasons to turn a toxic, unhealthy perk to something beneficial for the game

• Incirion

It's there to counter the genrush. It's not toxic. It's quite easy to break all the totems. If someone breaks a totem, it stays there, so you can see that it's broken when you're looking for them, and add that to your mental count. It's not hard.

• Weederick

You dont know how many totems are left. If you break 4, you still dont know wether all totems are gone or not. You may have wasted 50s for nothing, or you may waste minutes looking for an already broken totem. You simply dont know as a solo survivor and thats the cheap part about it.

Thats also what pushes swf even further since they know. All it does, is bringing solo survivors, who definetely need help, more on par with swf. While helping with the genrush meta and the toxic surprise effect of noed.

• Incirion

Everything you're saying is just telling me that SWF is the problem with the game.

• Weederick

An unsolvable by itself. Which is why dbd needs changes to bring solo on par with swf, which the devs are aiming for. Things like totemcounters or other features that can replicate voice communication in effect.

• Incirion

So they're trying to balance solo with SWF instead of balancing killer with SWF? Sounds like something they'd do.

• Weederick

As they should. If killer gets balanced around overpowered 4-swfs, then killers would be overpowered.

The solution is bringing solos and swfs in line and remove the gap between them. Then every match could be balanced simply as killer vs survivors. Not like now, where killer vs solos is a 4k and killer vs swf is a 4min genrush. Exaggerated, but you know what i mean.

• Incirion

So you want killer vs solos to be a 4 minute gen rush too then?

• Weederick

You know that im more of a killermain??

I want balanced matches that are not determined pregame wether they swf or not.

Its basically the survivor equivalent of wanting every killer to be viable and at around the same strength. Then killers in general can be better balanced. And you dont have to think about overtuning billy, while underperforming as freddy.

• killersRtoxicTrash
    killersRtoxicTrash Member Posts: 5

It's not broken it's just way too overplayed thus it needs a rework. It's funny seeing killers think it's not op. It's op for that alone they just need to fix a lot. Also, mettle of man is not op. So... Anyway. Killers complain so much they have devs ears if u think surv aren't nerfed way more u have problem

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

Is NOED broken?

Only if they break the totems, then it'll truly be broken

• Divinitye9
    Divinitye9 Member Posts: 392

No, noed is not broken. Survivors are broken.

• Heroiq
    Heroiq Member Posts: 1,134

noed should be deleted. it gives the killer a free kill he didn't manage to get during the 5 gens period. and he'll 100% camp him if his totem got cleansed because " it's end game".

i play a lot of killers. and i never use noed. because it basically a hated perk. and boosts killers with that free kill. i use bloodwarden instead. it can grant a free 4k if the situation comes.

balance?

just make all survivors hear the totem breaking sounds whenever a survivor cleanses a totem. that would reduce the big gap between swf and solo against noed.

• Mcfred
    Mcfred Member Posts: 152

NOED is fine I have no clue why people keep making threads. Break totems WOW easy

• MegsAreEvil
    MegsAreEvil Member Posts: 819

NOED ist trash. It rewards killer for playing bad, and punishes survivor for playing good. There need to be requirements like getting tokens for certain actions. And no, removing totems isnt the objective of survivors.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692
    edited April 2019

NOED procs.

You chase, down, and hook someone, maybe even someone boosted by Adrenaline - takes more than 20 sec so survivors can open gates and escape.

Or

You instantly hit someone and down them near the gate, forcing you to camp and secure the kill (allows other gate to be opened), or risk wandering away, which allows the gate to be opened and the survivor unhooked (in that order).

Or

It never procs/is insta-broken.

Or

You don't take NOED, and you get in a chase endgame. They may have Adrenaline, MoM stacks, and DH...or they may not - either way, you auto lose after 20s.

So OP, haha, especially with killers being so strong (read powerless) in the endgame.

• holywhitetrash
    holywhitetrash Member Posts: 289

as long as the hatch exists NOED should not be a perk, it should just be part of the base killer kit.

then survivors never need to worry about if they are wasting time on dull totems

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Yes it is. I cleansed your totems.

• Incirion

This is the dumbest argument from Survivor mains. It does NOT reward the Killer for playing badly. It rewards the Killer because the Survivor played badly. If the Survivors didn't cleanse all the totems, that's bad game play. It punishes Survivors for ignoring their secondary objective.

NOED is absolutely NOT OP. You're making yourself look stupid just thinking it is. It can be broken before it even activates. That's not OP. Mettle of Man IS absolutely 100% OP, because it adds an extra 20-30 seconds of chase time which is enough to finish half a generator. Since the Killer is actually the one pressed for time, not the survivors, that's completely OP.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,692

I'd be really interested in seeing someone counter my post.

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161

@Incirion If they balanced Killer to SWF without first balancing Solo to SWF, killers would stomp solo and people would cease playing solo ques. It goes Solo -> Killer -> SWF typically and I know many people who won't bother with Solo even now. They'll play Killer instead.

• Incirion

Killer already stomps solos. There's nothing you can do to balance solo with voice coms, aside from adding voice coms in game. If they add in voice coms, but then make the survivors actually make noise when they speak, that would balance both sides.

• GraviteaUK
    GraviteaUK Member Posts: 464

It gives the killer a free kill because the survivors running MoM, Adrenaline, DS and Dead Hard.

CaNt FiNd ToTeMs because they aint got room for Small Game.

If NoED activates the survivors didn't cleanse the totems, they didn't play well, they goofed, they got punished.

I personally don't run NoED but i can say for certain if i think the killers running NoED them totems be gone, and i don't need small game the totem spawns are a joke.

• fluffybunny

@Incirion Yes, killers do typically stomp Solos, but it'd be unplayable if the killer got a massive buff to address SWF without giving Survivors more tools to help communicate things. I've seen other people suggestion mics and I was against it at first, but I'm starting to think I'd be up for it. Oh also @ who you're talking to. We don't get notifications when you just quote them (they haven't fixed it yet).

• Incirion

@fluffybunny fair enough. If they added voice coms into the game, with a sound notification for the killer as well, then ACTUALLY enforced the fact that discord was breaking the rules of the game, it would fix a lot of the problems with the balance. You can give your team information about the killers location, totem spawns, etc, but you'll also alert the killer to your location by relaying this information. Does that make it worth it?

• fluffybunny

@Incirion I'm not sure how easy it'd be to disable or disallow Discord, though. Otherwise I was also thinking it could be good to give killers a non-perk related ability to move the totem once every so often. That way if someone were to see the totem and communicate where it is while being chased, it may not be there anymore and may not be as strong. Directional mics could be cool, though, where you like hear them quieter further away and so on.

Otherwise we can incorporate icons, I'm not sure. I've seen so many suggestions and I'm honestly up for anything if it'll make the solo experience better.

• Incirion

@fluffybunny I agree. It would be hard to disallow discord, but even as the rules stand NOW, discord is 100% against the rules. You aren't allowed to use a third party program that gives you an advantage in the game. Voice coms to share ANY information is cheating at the moment. It's just that no one cares.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

The only games that actually enforce 3rd party information systems are games where the people are unaware of the teams. That negates a lot of the advantage of VC since the person you use it with could BE the Killer.

However in a game like this preventing voice coms is impossible