Why would the killer open the exit gates?

The video mentioned that the killer can also open exit gates.

What would the killer gain from doing that? Why was that mechanic added?

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,234

Automatically regressing exit switches could help lol. With a delay between starting to work on it and it actually giving progress.

Orions explanation seems solid tho

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Has some stretch case interactions.

For example if the survivors are stealing around the map not doing anything I can open a gate to force them to move. You would only do this if you have a plan of course, such as using NOED + Blood warden.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

Starting Collapse ealier.

Some lcs plays with oppening a gate while someone is downed to guarantee a BW.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

So you can stand at the gate and yell YOU SHALL NOT PASS to survivors.

But the "practical" use of it is to force survivor to do something if they are being immersed and won't actually play the game, wich is holding the game hostage.

• Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604

You force them to leave or if they are hiding

there's several survivors who likes to hide and refuse to leave

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

So they can escape the survivors before getting teabagged to death

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

to end the round.

since a 3 minute death timer will start once a gate has been opened, survivors who wish to take the game hostage with this change migh try to 99% doors and then BM the killer.

with this change, the killer can force the game to end by opening the door. also, with NOED they might be able to put pressure on them by hooking one and opening the door, therefore greatly cutting the time they have for searching the totem.

• Bravo0413
    Bravo0413 Member Posts: 3,647

Imo the collapse should start when the last gen is completed.... but we'll see how it plays when it comes out

• adalesmo
    adalesmo Member Posts: 164

...But that doesn't really happen when the gates are powered. Maybe if there's only 1 survivor left. But that's pretty rare for the gates to be powered at that point.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Mainly its so us killers can concede and move on to the next game in a timely fashion. It only took years to get to a place where people couldn't waste and extra 40 minutes of you time with nonsense immersion.

• IAmFlownominal
    IAmFlownominal Member Posts: 16

Definitely to keep the game from being held hostage. When I play killer if I know both gates are open and a survivors are refusing to leave in hopes of bullying or farming, I run to a corner and face the wall to deny them chase points and play around on my phone until the match ends 10 minutes later after they're done fast vaulting pallets to get my attention. I love that they're willing to toxic to waste my time and only waste their own, but I can see why a normal person might dislike that.

Plus it's a way for a killer to concede a match and not lose their points, which to me are the only reason to play the game. I'll never understand why people DC in the late game and lose all those points.

• Haku
    Haku Member Posts: 614

Also to steal the survivor points for the gate/evil laugh/. Next is the killers can do gens and unhook players/aditional to hooking them/ so they don't have to wait for them to die on the hook

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Because I’m nice.

• BlackMercury
    BlackMercury Member Posts: 172

It's basically a conceed option, prevents the survivors from doing nothing for 10 minutes before the gates open since they can't do it after now

What I don't understand is why the collapse doesn't just start when the last gen is completed. That is more in line with most other end game effects, and it'd mean the killer wouldn't need to be able to open the gates. 20 seconds to open a gate is a crazy short time, and they already said Remember Me is getting changed so that's not going to break it. It seems so odd that the collapse is only when the gates open.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

Its a way to end a game if the survivors refuse to do it.

You have a bunch of trolls who dont want to open the doors and just avoid you or loop you to oblivion? Right now your only choice is disconnecting, now you can open the gates, start the 3 minutes countdown and end the game without disconnecting or chasing people around the map for 20 minutes.

• DreamFox
    DreamFox Member Posts: 2

i think the 1 thing people are forgetting opening the gate and starting the timer can help the killer win if they have multiple people slugged and cant find them

• Saint_Ukraine
    Saint_Ukraine Member Posts: 942

It starts the endgame phase, so the survivors can't take the game hostage.

• Grim
    Grim Member Posts: 250
    edited April 2019

Starting the collapse when the gate is opened seems pointless to me... They can just leave at that point.

It should start after the last gen.

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183

@Grim Collapse is not directly to give escape timer, its for stopping survivors to take the games hostage.