The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The Entity's weakness revealed and proved.

2»

Comments

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

For OP. I very much like this theory. It seems quite plausible. Of course, the devs tend to make the Lore up as they go along so I don't think they themselves have thought of that yet. It's a common practice to re-use assets like particle effects in the early days of a Game's life when it's not clear yet how successful it'll become and it would be worth spending time creating new effects or not.

At any rate, I'll ask the devs what they think of your theory, since I'd like to incorporate it on the Wiki.

• Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543

This might be out of blue, but explaining illogical things with logic... does not always work :)

anyway, what if there are 2 entities, one which feeds on despair and creates trials where survivors are tormented and the other feeds on hope and provides gates, engines, exits and power to flashlights?

the problem with light theory: engines also shine light but killer don't see/feel any problem being near them. Be it Wraith or any other.

• DocOctober

@Sarief said:
    This might be out of blue, but explaining illogical things with logic... does not always work :)

anyway, what if there are 2 entities, one which feeds on despair and creates trials where survivors are tormented and the other feeds on hope and provides gates, engines, exits and power to flashlights?

the problem with light theory: engines also shine light but killer don't see/feel any problem being near them. Be it Wraith or any other.

Well, it's not shined into their eyes.

• Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543

@DocOctober said:

@Sarief said:

I did try looking at the lamps :D

• DocOctober

@Sarief said:

@DocOctober said:

@Sarief said:

I did try looking at the lamps :D

Not the purpose of those lights though.

• Wolff_Bringer
    Wolff_Bringer Member Posts: 90

I get the idea about having a map where the campfire lies... and after that change the lobby as another map... That would be cool.

• TheBretzel
    TheBretzel Member Posts: 83

@TheHourMan said:
    I didn't read all of the posts, so forgive me if this was already said:

If the Entity didn't want you to escape, why would it put the gens and exit gates there at all? Why would it block the killer from pursuing and sacrificing survivors outside of the gates? The survivors only escape back to the campfire to await the next trial, where we can see the killers and Entity watching them. No. The Entity MUST want the survivors to escape. Possibly cultivating and nurturing the hope of the survivors so that it may "devour" that hope when they are finally sacrificed. It seems to me that the Entity wants survivors to feel strong hope and confidence in their ability to escape and then crush that hope. Perhaps that is how the Entity subsists.

This is also potentially a lore explanation for rank as well. As your hope and confidence increase, you are facing ever more overwhelming odds until you eventually are defeated time and time again, which reduces your rank so that you may become hopeful again. Perhaps the crushed hope of killers at high rank is also satisfying to the Entity. Perhaps killers are just as much of victims as the survivors, only malevolent.

Yes they may escape the trial, but they did not escaped the Entity's realm, so they are still prisoners. It's just a circular way to build and consume hope.

@DocOctober said:
    For OP. I very much like this theory. It seems quite plausible. Of course, the devs tend to make the Lore up as they go along so I don't think they themselves have thought of that yet. It's a common practice to re-use assets like particle effects in the early days of a Game's life when it's not clear yet how successful it'll become and it would be worth spending time creating new effects or not.

At any rate, I'll ask the devs what they think of your theory, since I'd like to incorporate it on the Wiki.

ay thanks Doc :^)

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088

In lunar new year this spirit world effect could be seen around survivors, when they pick up the vessel. Maybe vessel represents some kind of energy of lost souls? Most likely, killers destroying them for the same reason.

• Magnus13
    Magnus13 Member Posts: 74

@Pride said:
    so, as was pointed out, light is a big no-no, k?
    there is one thing that puzzled many
    a circuit box, not reachable, in the heights
    now, what if it was somehow being able to be powered between the combination of a well pointed light to open it's grid, and some sort of "electricity"

Can someone please find a picture of this circuit box and post it?

• Magnus13
    Magnus13 Member Posts: 74

I think I understand why the moon, atmospheric lights, those things, don’t blind or hinder the killers, but the flashlights do. There’s a reason why you can take items out of the trial. The very fact that Killers can be blinded proves that the Entity is unstoppable.
    I read a book where a person was god in his house. He couldn’t be hurt, he couldn’t be defeated. He was super strong. At all logic, he should win everything. Only he died, because of a single weakness.>

@White_Owl said:
    Interesting theory especially the parts about the spirit world, but I don't agree much on point 4/5. Yes, gens emit light when fully repaired, but even when they are all running the Entity's power is not weaker, otherwise Bloodwarden and most endgame perks would hardly work.
    I honestly doubt the Entity would use its own weakness in the world it has created: a survivor would just need to knock over a fire barrel in Shelterwoods or the Rotten Fields to start a fire whose light could weaken a lot the Entity, maybe even allowing survivors to escape.

On a side note I know the Asylum was on fire during a certain point, so maybe it was tried before and it failed, or maybe it has nothing to do with this and it is just either a concidence or unrelated. But still just wanted to say that.

The reason why the fire and other lights don’t burn the killers is because they’re tethered to the entity. It isn’t just light that burns them; it’s the survivors hope, the Hope combined with the light, that does it.
    Survivors are in a nightmare, but they’re still alive, still breathing.

• Fuchsia
    Fuchsia Member Posts: 14
    edited April 2019

I like this theory, made me imagine how cool it'd be if you were in the spirit world as wraith, you could see the entity in part. idk if spirit world users can see each other at any one time though.

• Saint_Ukraine
    Saint_Ukraine Member Posts: 942

I always thought the Entity's weakness was tacos. 'Cause I mean, who could possibly resist?

• TheShape78
    TheShape78 Member Posts: 712

This is very interesting. One thing I've always wondered is where do the survivors go to when they escape through the gate? Do they go back to the real world, or do they just find themselves forever trapped within this nightmarish world, just they're safe for the time being? Another question, what lies beyond those gates?

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

When survivors escape, they go back to the campfire. That's what lies beyond the gates.

• TheBretzel
    TheBretzel Member Posts: 83

mini-update : I added some images and gifs back since I realised they were missing for some reason.

• Jackikins
    Jackikins Member Posts: 66

So we just get Alan Wake up in here and we're all good, right?

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,283

@TheBretzel A thought crossed my mind after reading this. In the movie Hollow Man, it has Kevin Bacon's character turn invisible, much like the wraith, albit slower. The effects you describe from the wraith could simply be his internal parts becoming visible before his outermost skin and this comparison would also explain wraith's weakness to light, since invisible eyelids are worthless.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

I really like this theory but since EGC just came out and your theory about how doing generators weakens the entity then what about EGC the entity demonstrates it's power when all gens are done there and doesn't appear to be weak if not stronger.

• Micheal_Myers
    Micheal_Myers Member Posts: 1,147

Easy! The Entity Actually doesn't spawn on the windows nor the exit gates.

The reason why you can't just shine the flashlight on it may because of 2 things

1) The Thing Blocking the Exit Gates and Windows are actually spawned bars. That the Entity spawned to prevent the survivor to escape or keep going through windows.

2) The reason why you cant just shine the light on it when it's about to kill a hooked survivor is because well... The entity spawned the flashlight in the first place. So, the flashlight can only be intense for the killers because the entity rewrites them (Like the Teachable Perks) So it's only bright to them because the entity made it to be, but that doesn't mean that the flashlight is so intense for the entity. So the entity made the flashlight low enough where it won't hurt the entity.

Ik #2 got confusing but to make things short the entity rewrote the killers to be impacted by non-intense light.

• Rattman
    Rattman Member Posts: 1,088

If Entity is vulnerable to light, same thing with her powers, as we can see with example of Wraith, Hag and Nurse, which was proven above. So, I call bullshit.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

My only problem is that the Entity has clearly shown that at any time it can block the generators. If the entity has this power, why not always do it? The generators are made by the Entity as a means of generating hope. which we know for fact is what it feeds off. Same goes for the exit gates. If the survivors don't have a chance at escaping, then they have no hope, and thus no meal for the entity.

While the entity is weak to light, the light is controlled by the entity in it's realm. I would agree on perhaps the gens do allow for creation of items in the realm that offer a means of escape or the like, except that the hatch now always spawns, a means of escape that we confirmed was *not* under the entity's control, when a single survivor is left, no matter how strong or weak the entity is.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

The entity creates everything via what is called auric cells (survivors have been known to collect and even manipulate these cells). I had a theory about the entity's true connection to these cells as it also says the entire trial is the entity, I feel these Cells respond to hope (which is why the entity feeds on hope, because it is one of these cells but not a normal one the entity is a queen auric cell (an intelligent one at that, giving rise to more and more AC from it's self). Auric cells are like a hive mind building block being controlled by the QAC (the entity) to take any shape necessary and it is the fact that auric cells are a hive mind that survivors can so easily manipulate them (Vigo litterally being able to make his/her own little hidey plane) just cut their connection with the queen and input your own directions (ie ensuring medkit in the first chest).

• mikeonabike
    mikeonabike Member Posts: 16

I just discovered this thread and read it while listening to the lunar new year theme (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CulxhrlPBsM) and I had real chills! That's an amazing theory. I love the lore in general, I can't wait for the archives to be released into the game so we get even more lore!

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

Adding to my post the manipulation of these cells could be why Vigo has evaded the entity so long as when the entity is near he could just turn the cells to his side (very dangerous to the entity if true) but as far as I know (and can anyone confirm) if Benedict knows how to manipulate them?

• AetherBytes

Benedict is thought to be dead or stuck in the void, where useless survivors and killers go.

• AetherBytes

I personally wouldn't send him there. I'm not sure if I've just been meeting potatoes or if I'm absolutely god at GF, but I can get the ability to work most of the time, even with the bug.

• SmaugMyte
    SmaugMyte Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2019

Nice theory but there are some evident and non-negligible mistakes.

Point 4 especially (the generator's one), is completely wrong. Devs have confirmed multiple times in their streams (have done so in their latest lore-based stream too) that everything you see in the Trial is made by the Entity itself except for the Survivors and the Killers. The Gens, the Escape Doors and the Hatch are made by the Entity in order to give Survivors a chance at escaping and are not constructed by any survivor. Those thing are just a manifestation of the Entity itself just like everyhing else around the map. Without them Survivors would have no hope to ever escpae a Trial and with no hope comes no feeding for the Entity. So point 4 is completely wrong.

Items like Flashlights are also made by the Entity and given to the Survivors as a tool to increase their chance at surviving hence to increase the feeding the Entity can draw from them. So the Flashlight's light is also made by the Entity itself.

• SmaugMyte
    SmaugMyte Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2019

Nice theory but there are some evident and non-negligible mistakes.

Point 4 especially (the generator's one), is completely wrong. Devs have stated multiple times in their streams (have done so in their latest lore-based stream too) that everything you see in the Trial is made by the Entity excect for the Survivors and Killers. The Gens, the Exit Doors and the Hatch are made by the Entity itself to give the Survivors hope to actually escape, since we all know that no hope = no feeding the Entity can get. So those things are just a manifestation of the Entity like everything else in the Trail and are not construced by any survivor. So point 4 is completely wrong.

The Flashlights are also made by the Entity and given to the Survivors to increase their chances at surviving, their hope of survive the Trail and the feeding the Entity can draw from it, so the Flashlight's light is also made by the Entity itself.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640

I allways thought the entity weakness was stabbing the floor since the realms are made out of her

good theory tho

• Gcarrara
    Gcarrara Member Posts: 2,263

Nice theory! I like your take on it! 😁

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

Made of yes but specifically the auric cells that "form" its "body" at the time it is the trial you could argue that they aren't truly the entities body but an extension of

• BadgerT40
    BadgerT40 Member Posts: 48

We’re of to kill the entity the horrible entity of death 😃

• CampfireStories
    CampfireStories Member Posts: 1

Hey Random but is it alright if I use this as a Video idea?

• sirnewbington
    sirnewbington Member Posts: 78

With the additions of killers like ghostface and myers(the shade), that can remove the red stain themselves. You could infer that they wouldn't be entirely controlled by the entity?

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    edited July 2019

The only question I have is, if the other survivors created the black lock, then why does the black lock lead to darkness and not to light?

One thing I just remembered: There are fire barrels everywhere... why wouldn't a survivor take a stick and light it?

• NeaKarlsson123
    NeaKarlsson123 Member Posts: 22

Correct me if i'm wrong but does it not seem like the entity is weak with the eyes only it and don't ya think. It also explains that the killer is the entity because the entity can't see from the survivor's eyes which is why the entity is blocking the window's only when you are in chase :D

• TrueKn1ghtmar3

The entity is not the killers already stated in the lore but good try tho

• thisdude9001
    thisdude9001 Member Posts: 96

Figured I could bring up the fact that Hex perks produce light even though they help the killer. Seems to break the theme of light being the weakness when its directly aiding the killer giving them more power.