Can all killers be viable and game balanced at the same time

Judith
Judith Member Posts: 819

Without changing the killers powers completely or something similar.

Comments

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Let’s just put it like this. If every killer was “red rank viable” then red rank players would have their way but low ranks would suffer. Not saying we should balance around low ranks but every killer being top tier wouldn’t be balanced. We still need mid-tier and steppingstones in this game.

• GrootDude

New players would likely quit which could possibly hurt this game. The “balance” people want just isn’t achievable.

• Lemming
    Lemming Member Posts: 103

Doubtful. Most killers are either power dependent or basic systems dependent. Killers like the Trapper, Clown, Doctor, Pig, Shape, ect deal with the game's normal mechanics and lack the mobility to cover the map and move survivors around. I sort of wish there was some sort of baseline mechanic to help those killers, like an out of chase large movement speed increase so they can actually get from point A to point B.

• Judith

I hope people don't get tired playing against the same killers all the time then. It is a real shame that we have less variety if you ask me.

• GrootDude

We have as much variety as the players let there be.

• Lemming
    Lemming Member Posts: 103

Considering the survivor teams I normally see it's Nurse and Hillbilly.

• GrootDude

@Lemming that would be abused by moonwalking. Moonwalk hit the survivor, moonwalk again easy down.

• GrootDude

@Lemming and those players are choosing to play the same survivors/killers AKA the players choice.

• Judith

So people like less variety according to you. Maybe you are right since most people just want to win. Even if games get repetitive as long as they win they get their daily dopamine fix. I bet most people don't like challenge either.

• GrootDude

@Judith most players here seem more concerned on winning than anything. I try to play all my survivors and a handful of my killers (not the top tier ones since I find them boring). I’m a casual and normally I don’t like challenge but in online games I’ll gladly accept it.

• Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552

It depends.

If you make clown's bottle effect last 10 seconds with the movement speed reduction by 50% he is going to be viable at red ranks but there won't be any kind of counterplay and the lower ranks will be massacred. The killer gets everything handed to himself without adding any kind of skill to the equation.

What you should do is to increase the skill ceiling for the killer and let the game balance itself. If they can introduce something skillful for the clown, he will be viable at red ranks but he will also not be a pain in the ass in lower ranks because unskilled survivors will go against unskilled killers and unskilled killers won't reach the full potential of the killer they play.

I think nurse is a great example. I might be wrong but as far as I remember the nurse has lower kill rate around brown-yellow-green ranks than in red ranks.

There should be 1 or 2 easy killers for the beginners but the entire roaster should not revolve around yellow ranks.

TLDR; They can achieve viable killers in red ranks if the said killer has actually a good skill ceiling like the nurse or the huntress without massacring lower ranks.

• SmokePotion
    SmokePotion Member Posts: 1,089
    edited April 2019

I think so, many killers are close, and just need small tweaks.

Ie:

Leatherface: If he didn't slow when charging his chainsaw, he would be viable.

Legion: If his power built up the more stabs he did, he would be more fun and more viable.

Freddy: Honestly, I've seen him used to awesome effect at rank 1. I think he needs some add-on adjustments maybe, but im no expert on him.

Pig: leave her how she is, and keep the EGC. She will be A tier strong, but not OP. Or make it so RBT auto triggers slow EGC timer.

Trapper: give him a max trap limit (like hag), increase how many traps he can carry by 1, and let him refresh his traps at lockers. This will let him set up things in the early game much more smoothly.

• GrootDude

@tt_ivi_99 nurse is a skill vs skill killer. A bad nurse will undoubtedly lose. Pair other top tier killers at rank 20 and see the results.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Technically yes but it's easier said than done.

• Judith
  • NuclearBurrito

@Judith the meta making a good deal of kits nonviable simply due to the fact that you NEED to be able to get quick downs in order to be a good Killer. If that was fixed then it might be much easier but we already have an entire thread discussing how much of a headache THAT causes.

• Judith

Yeah, looping can be a real time waster. Thinking about balance gives me headache.

• NuclearBurrito

I don't blame you. There is a reason it hasn't been fixed already and it isn't because there is no problem, instead it is because the easiest solutions cause even bigger problems.

• AlwaysInAGoodShape
    AlwaysInAGoodShape Member Posts: 1,301

It's possible to make every killer viable competitively without changing a single thing about them. The only thing that you'd have to change is the Emblem system.

If you have a ranking system that has competitive measures for how well a killer performs in a game (competitive meaning that if the killer gains points, the survivors are losing points), then you can collect people's scores across ranks and take their average. Compare their score against people with the same killer and use that to determine whether someone wins or loses.

For example:

Let's say a nurse scores 80/100 points on average in rank 1. Freddy scores 60/100 points on average in rank 1.

If you play Nurse and score 70/100 points then you'd derank, because you perform below average, yet if you'd play Freddy and scored 70/100 points you'd rank up (or in this case stay at rank 1), because you'd be performing above average.

It wouldn't mean that every killer would get an equal amount of kills, because as you said, if we'd not be allowed to change anything about them then that'd be impossible, but it is definitely possible rank-wise.

• tt_ivi_99
    tt_ivi_99 Member Posts: 1,463

@TreemanXD

My point is: everyone starts from the bottom.

If you see a Nurse at rank 20 she is probably awful, just like the rank 20 survivors who are facing her. You can apply the same logic with any killer. Killers at rank 20-15-10 should have the same knowledge of the game's mechanics as the survivors who are facing them, that means that even if the killers are strong they might not know how strong they truly are, therefore they're not using every tool in their arsenal.

Have you seen any rank 15 Billy use curving? No, because that's what experienced killers do.

You cant balance a game around low rank players, you have to balance it around high competitive players.

• GrootDude

@tt_ivi_99 I already said they can’t balance around low ranks. A low rank billy thinks he has a chainsaw and should use it. He will probably succeed in doing so since his survivors just know run in a straight line and do gens blowing them all up along the way.

The problem is that if low rank survivors are constantly destroyed then they’ll be very likely to leave the game forever which isn’t good for business. If they want their game to succeed then they have to care for new players and high ranked competitive players.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

It's not that players of this game don't like challenge its just that the game itself doesn't provide a good distribution of challenge.

Challenging games for killers come from survivors being generally good at the game. The point this breaks down is that when survivors are really good most killers even played optimally struggle against the limitations of the game. When good survivors are also really toxic individuals the challenge becomes uninviting because bad behavior is rarely taken very well.

Challenging games for survivors are extremely dependent on a killer being good, but since survivors have very few things to get good at doing they can outpace killers in overall game mastery. Where this breaks down is that survivors who are really good have already surpassed the amount of challenge the game bring to them. Survivors who aren't good can feel trapped and bad behavior issues on the killer side matter as well. Survivors also lack variety as they are at there core the exact same. This caps what challenge can exist for them.

Stats wise really good survivors will almost always outperform a really good killer player as to make up for being generic mechanically survivors have far more things at their disposal to improve their chances. Not all killers have addons that enhance their power to a place where they need to be truly respected.

The most challenging thing to do in the game is learn how to play Nurse and the second most challenging this to do is learn how to loop properly and consistently.

• Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

All killers are viable to some degree, but I think the looping issue needs to be addressed. Pallets are supposed to be drop & leave, but it's more practical from a gameplay standpoint to run around it as much as possible. I think the spaces should be triggered like windows, maybe.