The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Make Dbd Scary again...How?

AshleyWB
AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
How can dbd feel scary to play again???

Comments

• Lowbei
    Lowbei Member Posts: 2,637
    was the game ever scary?
  • AshleyWB
    JP_Cloud said:
    Nea as a playable killer 👍🏻
    Ok now that's a little far. We don't wanna scare people away with disgust.
  • JP_Cloud
    JP_Cloud Member Posts: 173
    AshleyWB said:
    JP_Cloud said:
    Nea as a playable killer 👍🏻
    Ok now that's a little far. We don't wanna scare people away with disgust.
    I would run and would never stop running 😂 
  • AshleyWB
    It was scary first playing it.
  • Mringasa
    Mringasa Member Posts: 980

At random times during a match, anywhere from 30 seconds in and at random intervals, the Entity reaches down and pimp slaps one of the Survivors, causing them 1 health state of damage. If they are already Dying at this point, the Entity just takes their body back with it to its home.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181

Well, after a certain point it loses the "scary" factor.

• Cypraz
    Cypraz Member Posts: 136

Lightning & Thunder, Spooky sounds, apparitions, heavy rain, no sunny maps, honestly an entire ambient work over would do wonders for DBD.

• AshleyWB
    Good thinking actually
  • Someissues
    Someissues Member Posts: 1,604

@AshleyWB said:
    Good thinking actually

I know its never going to happen, but if DBD strife to be a true horror game they really should do it, it would make the game much more thrilling and fun when playing as a Survivor, got to make use of sounds, killer's footstep and what not

• AshleyWB
    TydeTyme said:

Unfortunately fear is typically driven from things you don't know. Since you're not scared of it now it is because you do not fear what you know and that can not be returned due to how much you've been exposed to the game D: You'd have to find a new game for fear.

I guess you're right... 😥 You know what they say knowledge is power and that takes all the suspense out of the game. This is the exact reason I hope similar games are given a chance to do horror well. Btw Tyde keep up the good work, best dbd youtuber and it's people like you who still make me enjoy dbd after a gazzilion hours.
  • Trotfoxx
    Trotfoxx Member Posts: 105

Easy, no heartbeat at all.

• deathdoer1
    deathdoer1 Member Posts: 87

I would love if camera was restricted...it's weird killers can't look around but survivors can as well. Honestly I think it would balance the game a lot since looping would become severely harder because you wouldn't be able to watch the killer at all times.

• Nick
    Nick Member Posts: 1,237
    edited July 2018

By removing self care and the terror radius for all killers. Dont know how that is going to work with the balancing though

• AshleyWB
    Make a new version of the dbd soundtrack with atmospheric and more horrifying tracks for some maps in specific.
  • BOSS242
    BOSS242 Member Posts: 171
    It would be great if the graphics were a bit more gruesome like when the reverse beartrap goes off or the mori cutscenes. Dont know about scarier but for sure more horror feeling.
  • Coriander
    Coriander Member Posts: 1,119

While I don't think it can ever get that "horror" type of scare once you have enough playtime, I do think it should favor the Killer a bit, so coming across him is scary to your sense of survival.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604
    Once youre desensitised thats it
  • Cardinal_Copia
    Cardinal_Copia Member Posts: 139
    edited July 2018
    I'm playing about a year. The great scare is gone, but still i'm very excited. Sometimes i have to wait for a minute after the rounde is done. My heart needs to calm down. 
  • Kasies
    Kasies Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2018
    Make a killer that shapeshifts as a survivor until his chases start. If the killer works on a gen progress goes back. Wouldn't that be scary? Just think about it - that suspicious Nea could be the killer - or maybe that Claudette lurking in the shadow.

Bats coming out of the basement at random if you walk into it as a survivor, thunder, random Owl sounds and most importantly - make Killers scary again - buff them! It's making a huge difference if you're up against a Michael with good addons and perks or with nothing. Killer should be strong without them! While I agree it takes skill and there are some players out there i would be scared by even when they play with no perks i often am just not. 

But then again... I must say the rank 14 Michael i had yesterday was scary as #########. He was always creeping up behind someone when they didnt expect it... We only escaped because He let us. I wish He had killed me - He would have deserved it
  • Taelance
    Taelance Member Posts: 100

That's nice but that still doesn't address the numerous 2nd chances Survivors get (DS, Adrenaline, Instant Heal, Unbreakable, and a free hatch). Not to mention all the pallets and loop spots.

I suppose in the same way multiple blinks on a nurse allows mistakes as you fail a blink but then use a correction blink.
    The main issue with pallets is that there are way too many of them so when survivors do gens they no where to run and therefore do not fear a killer.

• Jack11803
    Jack11803 Member Posts: 3,930

Nerfing won’t make people scared, just freustrated. That is wrong. Next. Camera restriction. Same. It’ll just piss people off, and Myers will be disgustingly strong. No terror radius. Yes that would cause scares. But terror radius perks would be useless. And if changes to meters, would alert the survivors.

• AshleyWB
    What about a killer who can rewind like tracer from overwatch. No looping anymore and would be quite tense as youhave to be really careful.
  • AshleyWB
    edited July 2018
    Do you know how friday played jasons chase music sometimes when he wasn't even near, dbd needs something like that to keep you on edge
  • TeambossFloze
    TeambossFloze Member Posts: 1,260

@AshleyWB said:

Tell the console player base that the DLC and patch is being delayed another week :pirate:

only way to make it scary is to play on peoples phobias...I know if there was an underwater level i'd seriously have a heart attack, or a huge mother spider...oh my god

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@AshleyWB said:

Remove 3rd person of survivor, ez fix to looping and we are back playing a horror game instead of a nascar racing sim

• TeambossFloze
    TeambossFloze Member Posts: 1,260

@Master said:

@AshleyWB said:

Remove 3rd person of survivor, ez fix to looping and we are back playing a horror game instead of a nascar racing sim

I think limiting the 3rd person like the have done in PUBG is a good idea actually. not making it so free roam, I mean it's freaky to think when im on a generator my head can swivel 360 degrees like beetlejuice

• Global
    Global Member Posts: 770

Add ambient noises like crows rustling leaves the wind and distant screams.

• Cypraz
    Cypraz Member Posts: 136

Thunder, Lightning crashing, Heavy rain in the darkness, whispering winds. Ambient rework is key here, also add spookier maps that include graveyards and tombs.

• The_Manlet
    The_Manlet Member Posts: 474

Survivors will never be scared of the killer because most killers are not a threat.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

@The_Manlet said:
    Survivors will never be scared of the killer because most killers are not a threat.

With that attitude, killers should be scared of Survivors.

Realistically, even if they were powerful, it'd be back down to not scary within 20 hours of facing them. For example, Hag is considered one of the weakest killers in the game, and yet people are routinely scared while facing her. If scary was determined by threat, Hag should be completely unscary.

• The_Manlet
    The_Manlet Member Posts: 474

@Visionmaker said:

@The_Manlet said:

They absolutely should be. Survivor perks are more powerful than killer perks, and survivors can put the killer in a no-win situation where he can't even pick a survivor up without getting stunned and them going free, yet at the same time he can't just go over and hit the survivor because he's safe and can speed boost to a safe zone to heal while his two buddies hang around with their flashlights as well, ready to heal the guy up in seconds as soon as he is ready.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

@The_Manlet said:

They absolutely should be.

You say that. But are they? Is it FEAR that you feel?

Cause I don't feel fear. I feel FRUSTRATION when faced with overwhelming odds.

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

Not possible. Only scary killer for now is Michael Myers and maybe the Pig.

• ceridwen309
    ceridwen309 Member Posts: 502

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/comment/35565#Comment_35565

From my previous post above:

I believe some of the ways to increase the creepy/scary potential are thus:

-increase the number of threats on the map. (Trees that grab you, birds that peck at you, things that grab your feet when you get to close to a storm drain, rabid demon like animal things...etc.)

-create reasons for fear. (Lights in certain houses blowing, the rattling of chains, the thumping of wood, blood dripping from the ceiling....random insane scary stuff.)

-apply different scare scenes. (set a player wandering down a dark hallway with the dripping sound of water, add the scratching of metal on floor, and then have a shadow looming behind them. They turn, and nothing is there. But now their mind is looking for evil in every corner. Jumpscares are one way to go....but true fear is a build up of anxiety, uncertainty, and just the right pinch of supernatural.)

-Less adrenaline, more uncertainty. (If you truly want fear...then you got to stop making your players run all the time. A good scare requires atmosphere, a psychological build up, and an unexpected twist or two. When you force characters to run and get all worked up....sure, they will be frustrated and filled with dread/anxiety....but they will lack that true terror.)

• AshleyWB
    The length of time it takes to actually get into a troublesome situation needs to be instant. Doing a gen BAM Leatherface from nowhere. The tinkerer rework will help with this. Needs a lot more though.
  • AshleyWB
    Maybe just reducing the camera swivel speed so you can't turn around so fast.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@TeambossFloze said:

@Master said:

@AshleyWB said:

I think limiting the 3rd person like the have done in PUBG is a good idea actually. not making it so free roam, I mean it's freaky to think when im on a generator my head can swivel 360 degrees like beetlejuice

1st person at the gen would offer some nice possibilities for extra "skillchecks" or a more advanced version of it. Terror radius is there for a reason,> @Visionmaker said:

@The_Manlet said:

Realistically, even if they were powerful, it'd be back down to not scary within 20 hours of facing them. For example, Hag is considered one of the weakest killers in the game, and yet people are routinely scared while facing her. If scary was determined by threat, Hag should be completely unscary.

I am a killer and sometimes I am actually scared when playing against some special SWF. Scared of picking up the survivor, scared of leaving the hook etc etc

• AshleyWB
    Introducing Killer Perk - Don't go anywhere
    Calls for the entity to encase a downed survivor rendering them unable to move or recover. Lasts 1 min.