Mettle of Man Rework (Reasoning and justification)

NMCKE
NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

Mettle of Man Rework (Reasoning and justification)

Introduction:

Let's just admit it, the perk is very strong due to its lack of counter play. Killers are forced to do the following to counter the perk but as you can see, this isn't a pretty list:

• Camping

Reasoning: Allows killers to reduce the amount of chases needed to sacrifice a survivor by removing extra hook phases from the survivor, which means less stacks for Mettle of Man.

• Exposed Perks

Reasoning: Usually survivors are dead after 4-6 hits but exposed brings that number down to a solid 3 hits regardless of their health state. Even though Mettle of Man activates at 3 stacks, they are already down and on their way to the hook that's going to sacrifice them.

• Mori Offerings (Tunneling IS necessary)

Reasoning: Since it takes 2 hits to down a survivor and 1 hit to down them from the hook, the survivor will be mori'd without the chance to use Mettle of Man.

What can we deduce?

Overall, this list is very unfun for both the survivors and killers because survivors have to endure the killer's adaptations to the perk while killers are forced to do these outrageous things to counter a single perk. It's a lose-lose situation for both sides, so therefore, Mettle of Man needs a new purpose while having a counter.

Mettle of Man:

Evil always finds its way to you. Whenever you're unsafely recused from the hook, Mettle of Man will activate until you're either hooked or recovered to the injured state. Upon being hooked while Mettle of Man is activated, you'll remain at your previous hook phase while gaining an additional 10/20/30 seconds on your current hook phase. Mettle of Man is deactivated after being successfully used.

• Increases your chances of becoming the killer's Obsession.

Mettle of Man: Strength & Counter Play

Here's what I came up with, another anti-farm/anti-tunnel/anti-camp perk for solo players. I know there is something called Decisive Strike, but what makes Mettle of Man different is its extra hook phase. Potentially, if everything was timed correctly, you can have a 3 minute and 30 second hook timer instead of the typical 2 minute one (Rounding Was Used). While 3 minutes and 30 seconds sounds like a lot of hook time, survivors can easily unhook you shortly after getting hooked and thus, render the extra time as useless (but at least you didn't progress to the next hook phase). Furthermore, the killer just needs to count to 15 seconds before downing you so you're not considered as an unsafe rescue. Finally, even if you fail to time your hits as the killer, you'll still get a hook and someone will have to save them, but they will have more time to do so.

Feel free to criticize me or ask questions on things you're confused about!

Comments

• TheAngryPickle
    TheAngryPickle Member Posts: 73

MoM is fine git gud

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

MoM should require bodyblock/protection hits to trigger. Then reduce the hits from 3 to 2. This allows killers counter play options as they can simply avoid hitting the MoM user while carrying or chasing someone else, but keeps the perk more or less the same as it is now. That would be the most fair solution IMO.

• NMCKE

@thesuicidefox

I mean yeah, sure, that's a great solution but the thing is, sometimes you have to hit a survivor. Killers can only hook in one direction so if survivors are smart, they will camp the front of the hook.

However, your idea is really good but sadly, it's going to take a while for it to become a thing.

• thesuicidefox

Then that's a good play on survivor's part. But it allows for counter play from the killer at least, where currently there kind of isn't any.

• fluffybunny
    fluffybunny Member Posts: 2,161
    edited May 2019

I saw someone suggest getting MoM if you win 3 chases. So you escape and get healed without getting down, MoM becomes active the next time you can be downed. That way it would require someone actually losing the killer and getting healed multiple times. What do you think of that?

I think having it restricted to solely body blocking could increase toxicity. A lot of killers really don't like body blocking and having a perk like that would just increase body blocking.

EDIT: Giving someone an extra hook stage could encourage more farming, too ('cause you might have MoM) and I could see it as being really strong in a SWF. You close to being in struggle? Yoink! I'm not sure, though.

• NMCKE

@thesuicidefox

You're right, there is counter play and I'd like to see it implemented soonTM. Anyways, what do you think about my version of MoM?

• thesuicidefox

TBH it seems overcomplicated and doesn't follow the design of the current MoM (in that it turns it into a totally different perk). I don't think all that is necessary, just create a more strict requirement to get stacks to allow for counter play on killer's end and it would be fine.

• SlinkyJinky
    SlinkyJinky Member Posts: 371

To be honest I almost never get to use MoM because the Killer can never find me to hit me in the first place. When they do 9 times out of 10 they're a M2 Killer so MoM is totally negated.

Mostly for me MoM is a highly situational wasted perk slot that punishes playing well and rewards playing poorly.

If MoM built tokens by ESCAPING a Killer that would make it counterable by the Killer and harder for the Survivor to build, just don't lose your prey but would make it even more situational and would make most people shelve it for better perks like they did DS there by making Survivors harder to beat (and there are a LOT of other better perks out there)

Killers just don't like MoM because it is a highly noticeable perk that affects them directly. If Killers only knew how OP Alert actually was they'd want it nerfed far more than they want MoM nerfed.

• No_Mither_No_Problem
    No_Mither_No_Problem Member Posts: 1,476
    edited May 2019

I honestly think MoM should be reworked to be situational; we don't need any more one-size-fits-all, always-applicable, always-strong Perks on either side. That said, here's my idea for a rework.

After performing a safe hook rescue on another Survivor, this Perk activates.

The next time you would be put into the dying state straight from the healthy state, you will instead be put into the injured state.

This Perk deactivates after it is used and must be activated again for continued uses.

Mettle of Man can only be used 1/2/3 time(s) per match.

• dfrenchiee
    dfrenchiee Member Posts: 334
    edited May 2019

I rarely use MoM since it’s usually useless most of the time, but if I do it’s so I won’t get downed because the killer got a hit on me through a pallet or window that they shouldn’t have.

What you’re suggesting is a completely different perk that’ll just get forgotten about like the other mediocre survivor perks.

If they decide to change it at all they should just change the way you get your stacks. (I saw winning chases being suggested)

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

The only problem I Have with this is how killers could just rehook you and farm you for points or just follow you and wait to down you and hook you again like borrowed time.

• NMCKE

@MyNamePete

How would they know that you have MoM? If you're the Obsession, there are multiple possibilities on the Obsession perks that you can equip.

About the farming thing, just report them for griefing and hope for the best. Some perks can be abused to create a toxic environment such as Object of Obsession.

• MyNamePete
    MyNamePete Member Posts: 1,053

If you hit someone after they got off the hook and rehook them, you’ll probably notice they’re in the same hook phase

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

Honestly, I don't like the additional hook phase. Hook phases are such a fundamental game mechanic that I wouldn't give such a big change to them.

But besides that: Your rework makes it another 2nd chance perk. The killer does nothing wrong, the survivors play bad (unsafe unhook) but the killer gets punished for the survivors' mistake.

If the survivors play bad, that must have bad consequences for them, not for the killer.

I know that getting yolo saved is very annoying (I play a lot of solo surv). But punishing the killer for bad survivor play is not the way to go.

• T0xicTyler
    T0xicTyler Member Posts: 504

The problem with Mettle of Man is that it punishes M1 killers like Trapper, Wraith, etc. who are at a disadvantage. Re-work the perk to protect you from instadowns or something and it will be in a much better spot balance wise.

• BlackReaper
    BlackReaper Member Posts: 134

Just one thing... You prefer and extra hook state instead of a single extra hit...

What is wrong with you?

And you are not balancing it with a extra hook, you are balancing it with a really easy conuter play that surely will make the perk useless, thats why DS has that high timer to get use, to be useful and cant be avoid easily.

Honestly, what is wrong with you? (Just joking xD)

• SlinkyJinky
    SlinkyJinky Member Posts: 371

May I present another 'second chance' mechanic: HOOK RESCUES!

Next people will be saying "OMG Rescuing people from hooks is OP! it's just another 'second chance' mechanic! nerf!"

• NMCKE

@BlackReaper

It's not really easy to counter if you don't know what perks they may have.