We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

What if Wraith could grab from stealth?

Garresh
Garresh Member Posts: 50

Had a random thought. Wraith has imperfect invisibility which can be seen by an observant survivor. He has no terror radius while invisible, but also cannot attack for a bit when exiting stealth. He's meant to be good at ambushing in exchange for mediocre chase potential.

So what if he was allowed to attack or grab instantly from stealth, but ONLY om survivors who are currently taking an action. Doing gens, cleansing totems, healing, activating the exit gates. Any of these actions make the survivors highly vulnerable to the wraith, making them extremely paranoid. But if they're not taking actions the wraith remains at a disadvantage.

The core concept here is that if a survivor is aware of the wraith before he strikes then he sucks. But if he can sneak up using an unusual approach angle or cover to get close, he gets a powerful hit. Either a grab, or perhaps an attack that breaks stealth instantly. Since all a survivor has to do to counter this is stop whatever they're doing, simply being aware of the wraith counters him.

In this way, the wraith gets to be a strong ambusher while at the same time having counterplay if a survivor can see him coming. Even if the survivor only notices him half a second before he strikes, that's enough to ruin his free hit. Only if he is undetected up to the precise moment then he gets his special attack.

What do you think?

Comments

• Garresh

Just to be clear, I think the instant-unstealth attack should probably not be a grab, but a single health state hit like normal. This attack should have a longer cool down/stun following it than a regular attack, allowing a survivor to gain distance. In this way the wraith starts a chase at an advantage if he lands his ambush, but then must still secure a chase or break away for another ambush still allowing a survivor to escape or loop which wraith remains pretty weak against.

• Shad03
    Shad03 Member Posts: 3,732

This would be a pretty nice QoL change. But I doubt it would happen.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615

Not a grab, but a hit would be nice.

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

You can do this already.

Try coxcombed clapper + ghost soot. Guaranteed grab if you know your angles well.

Bone clapper + ghost soot also works, once you've established confusion with your bell.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,615
  • Garresh

Even if it could ONLY be used on survivors that are using actions? It would be completely useless in a chase. Well not completely but it wouldn't guarantee hits and would only be used to catch up after a juke.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Attacking out of stealth, maybe, but it'd require a rework of his cloak. I personally thought this alone would make him top-tier, without the rework he received instead, but oh well.

Grabbing out of stealth, no way. This is effectively double damage on a killer with no TR and invisibility. It'd be broken beyond belief.

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

Baseline cloaked grabs? I don't think it's a good idea. You can't even pick up dying state survivors while cloaked right now.

The combos I mentioned will let you grab if you're quick and know your angles but at least you're uncloaked (with no TR and red stain for 6 secs) to allow for some counterplay.

I get at least 1- 2 grabs every match, and a lot of 'surprise attacks'.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

Sorry I meant to quote Boss' comment about a hit out of stealth. Though I still feel like stealth grabs/hits are a bit much already considering how often you can simply come quickly around a corner and give the survivor 0 chance to react.

• Garresh

Sorry to be clear the grab was more of a comparison. Essentially you could only attack(for one health state) in situations where you COULD grab. Not a full blown grab. Just a regular attack out of stealth but only in grab situations.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

With the way grabs are bugged, I have to say no. Even if they were working properly, survivors who're working on generators are constantly spinning their cameras 360º. This wouldn't be useful and would probably lead to a lot of whiffed hits thanks to DH.

• ClogWench

I did not. I think Wraith is a solid killer in the hands of someone who knows how to use him properly. Not top tier but still threatening.

• AntiJelly
    AntiJelly Member Posts: 1,155

As a Pro Wraith Player™ (PWP),

no.

His stealth, believe it or not, allows him to have more map pressure than a Billy. The only thing that separates him from Billy is that he doesn't insta-down. He still has to do normal chases. Sort of.

Using his uncloak speed boost allows you to get the first hit pretty much for free, if you get the jump on the survivor. Once you've done the first hit, re-cloak, and with a combination of body-blocking and uncloak speed-boost, the second hit should be relatively easy with practice.

Just because a Killer doesn't look good on the surface doesn't mean he's low tier.

I also play quite a bit of Freddy, and I can tell you, his Lullaby and total invisibility to awake survivors gives him insane pressure when used correctly. His only weakness is ballsy survivors and SWF.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

As a Wraith quasi-main I'll say that he is very strong at this point, the only slight buff he needs is to his stealth.

Being a 115% movement speed killer he has very good chase potential, and if you know how to use his power you can end chases super quickly.

One buff I'd love to see is to make him completely invisible when far away, so that at least he can't be spotted from the other side of the map.

I love Wraith, his power can change so much with all the different add-ons :3

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited May 2019

Nah, if you use cover to approach survivors it doesn't matter if the invisibility is "imperfect", they won't see you coming, and that means basically no counterplay considering how fast he is (talking about grabs).

I don't know if it's because of low settings and I'm not completely sure since there aren't many Wraiths out there, but for me he completely disappears beyond a certain distance. Shadowbuff?

Post edited by White_Owl on
  • LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

@White_Owl

I can still see him from far away. Maybe you simply lose him for a few seconds and can't find him again

• ClogWench

@White_Owl Wraith disappears very well into the fog, is it possible when you see him disappear it's because he's shrouded in fog on the map?

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

I'd just like his high speed in cloak returned. He's so slow since the change.