The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Endgame Hatch 1v1's

Hatch has now become ultimately pointless. The Killer has much more freedom than the survivors when it comes to moving around. because of this typically in a 1v1 where the hatch hasn't spawned (because either the survivors are refusing to do generators or rage quitters have disconnected) the player cannot hope to find the hatch before the killer. Instead the Survivor tries to open the gate after the killer closes the hatch and fails.

In many cases, the matches that I've participated in have had a bunch of times where the survivors will stop trying to do generators and instead start looking for the hatch. They don't have faith that the other survivors will be capable of opening the gates and there's an urgency to find the black lock before the killer. so there will be 4 survivors just aimlessly walking around and dragging the game on until the rest die with only 1 - 2 generators repaired.

In all the matches that I've participated there has not been 1 successful escape from the black lock and this week I'm averaging at 20 games a day. Once the hatch is closed you're pretty much dead as a solo survivor unless you get lucky and the doors spawn on entirely opposite sides of the map. Assuming they do spawn that way you still have to hope that there is also some form of obstruction in the middle of the sight line otherwise the killer will just camp the halfway point. Much more likely is that the doors will spawn beside one another on opposing corners with a small piece of terrain obstructing the view.

In this instance a healthy survivor is going to still go down because the gates take 20 seconds. If a killer can move 4.6 meters per second then that's 92 meters that they can travel in a straight path before the gates are opened. Assuming that neither side has perks to modify these values then the killer can travel between both locks and just look for lights to start showing up. If the killer sees lights you're dead. Doesn't matter if you leave the gate or go to the other one because of how easy it is to track a moving survivor once you've located their general area. I feel like there should be some compensation to the survivors once the killer closes the hatch or the sound of the hatch should be removed/reduced to prevent killers from just seeking it out.

Removing the sound specifically would make the map more valuable. Increasing the value of the other items might also reduce the abuse of generator rushing as the only valid tactic. Currently in high tier matches there appear to be very few matches where the 3 generator stall tactics and pallet looping sprinter + the 3 gen leader boosted squads aren't clashing against one another. Maybe it's just me and my luck.

Regardless - The ability for the killer to locate and close the hatch in a 1v1 scenario is slightly in the Killer's favor too much and should be shifted back towards the survivor's favor under certain circumstances *ASSUMING* that the point of the black lock is to give the remaining survivor hope. Otherwise, I'm a killer main and I'll take 4 pieces all day.

Comments

• Chrisko
    Chrisko Member Posts: 288

One other point, Killers don't have to physically go up to a gate to see that it has not been triggered. Just getting within the sight-line of the gate to see if it has been activated is enough to see if a survivor is there or has activated the gate. It's worse when gates spawn closer together. It's a grim scenario for the survivor..

• Frugl1
    Frugl1 Member Posts: 72

In the case of 1-2 gens being completed, the hatch wont be visible until it opens, so at that point it is basically a coin flip if it spawns close to either party.

I would argue that the survivor has already failed the primary objective at that point, so it makes sense for the hatch to be slightly in favor of the killer.

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

im confused as to whether you're directing your comment at me in a sort of attack in order to weaken my argument or if you're just casually using "you" and framing your stance around the idea of a pseudo persona.

regardless - your opinions about what i do and dont know are unneeded.

Game balance does not have a standard. It's entirely about what "feels" right to the player. that's why companies play test and set up these toxic vats of "passionate" consumers called forums. It's so the company can balance the game to what their players feel is "right". The majority wins usually, but if hired professional testers say otherwise then sometimes the professionals overrule the opinion of the masses.

If I as a player feel that the game is unbalanced then your opinion about what is balanced and isn't balanced is unrelated. If you disagree, you disagree. Don't come onto my forum post and tell me I'm wrong and claim that your opinion is the end all of "balance" while also insulting my intelligence.

State that you disagree, and explain why. If you can't do that without using arbitrary things like "skill" and "matter of fact" opinions then think on it and get back to me.

If it's as simple as "I disagree, I feel it is balanced because ___" then just put that.

no need for insults and attacks on character. It's not like our livelihoods are on the line.

• Justicar
    Justicar Member Posts: 319

The other post wasn't attacking your character in any shape or fashion. They were simply lamenting the fact that this topic comes up incessantly. To summarize what's already been said, you're in a 1v1 situation as a survivor against a role that's designed as 4v1, it SHOULD be difficult.

• LastShoe
    LastShoe Member Posts: 1,183
    edited May 2019

I will tell you something... this is much better than hatch standoffs... I'm glad that they are over...

The only thing that could be changed is to add a perk, that would allow survivor to open the hatch if the egc started and with 30 seconds action time and with a complete reset... It would actually give a chance to escape because killer also should patrol hatch as well.

Also, don't forget that now killers have to worry about the hatch even if 5 generators are left.

• prayer_survivor
    prayer_survivor Member Posts: 626

Difficult yes, impossible no. How many times did you opened any door as last survivor when the killer closed the hatch?

• prayer_survivor

Why not transform the hatch in other door when killer closed it? Survivor need to open it at other door.

Yes, I know the responses killer will make: git gud, no, it's so op, .... As always in this killer forum

• holywhitetrash
    holywhitetrash Member Posts: 289

how about when there is one survivor left all the remaining pallets are dropped on the killer one after the other until the courageous survivor has found the hatch

• prayer_survivor

And you? How many doors did you open at last survivor when killer had closed the hatch?

• forrest49
    forrest49 Member Posts: 3

Imagine being this delusional rofl. yeah that is an insult, figure out the difference between the two

• holywhitetrash
    holywhitetrash Member Posts: 289

i have opened 3 doors after the killer closed the hatch ( i have spectated more), it was hard and i fail more often then i succeed as it should be

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    edited May 2019

I wonder what the survival rate is now. Maybe it evens out since survivors are more likely to leave others behind, but then that also denies killers a chance at a comeback if survivors just leave with one on the hook now. While it becomes more likely to kill the lone 4th survivor since the game does it for them after two minutes of closing the hatch. If it looks bad, I won't even bother to try to open a door. Just find a nice place to let the Entity take me.

I suppose it evens out.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

According to the data set they released two weeks ago. 41% for solo and it increase the more swf players you have grouped up to 48% for 4man swf.

• darktrix

And when was that sample taken? Two weeks ago would be the day after EGC went live.

• prayer_survivor

"If it looks bad, I won't even bother to try to open a door. Just find a nice place to let the Entity take me."

Me too. In 1v1 when hatch is closed and doors are too close I looked for totems or chests to make BP

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Your team failed to do gens and you failed to find the hatch. Of course the killer is gonna have an edge in that situation it's a game designed to be a 4v1 and 3 players are dead on the other team.

The new hatch mechanics in fact hurt good killers who can kill survivors before they even get to do 2 gens since hatch now always spawns and they can't do anything about that.

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

Right, but this to me feels too much in favor of the killer. My exact words were "is slightly in the favor of the killer too much"

I understand that the killer has won the battle, and ultimately getting 4 kills is going to be their reward for doing so, but it shouldn't just be handed to them. There still should be some urgency on both ends.

in the best possible scenario for a survivor - the survivor has spine chill, wake up, resilience, and decisive strike ready to use on a killer that picks them up. It still takes 14 seconds to open the gate at maximum effect.

That means you have to be injured with the killer looking at you and you have to hold the lever the entire time. Then you have to succeed in using decisive strike which gives you a 5 second stun and requires that 60 seconds earlier you escaped from a hook (impossible as the final survivor) - the animation takes 3 seconds to activate and channel power into the gate - so you get 2 seconds to put more time into the gate - assuming you were downed directly beside it. anything else and the killer will outrun you to the gate. Once the gates are powered it takes approximately 2 seconds for them to open wide enough to run through and you have to be 85% of the way to the back wall before you're downed to crawl out.

Trapper could just beartrap the two exit gates and if you're the last person he wins.

Huntress has hatches that can travel nearly 30 meters.

Hag can trap the two doors and stand in the middle of the arena.

Hillbilly can sprint between the doors and instantly down you if you try to use the lever

Nurses can blink to you (though she's one of the weaker ones without add-ons in this specific scenario)

shapes going to kill you

doctor can shock you and cause you to stop opening the gate nonstop

nightmare can see you opening the gate if you're in dream world

if pig's trap is activate you cant leave

spirit can phase walk at 7.04 m/s which is 1.8x faster than a survivor and can see you holding the lever.

plague can vomit on one lever and if she sees that you've contracted the sickness buff then it's obvious where you are.

wraith moves at 5.04 m/s while cloaked and he doesn't have to be uncloaked to stop you from using the lever since his presence will deter most actions.

cannibal has barbecue and chili and instant downs. you're not getting away. he doesn't even have to close hatch.

-------

as stated earlier, if the intention of the black lock is to give hope to the remaining survivor then it's not living up to the lore. as a solo survivor whose team has lost the match it's pointless to attempt a hatch escape. The hatch won't spawn until all 5 generators are repaired if 4 survivors are alive. if 3 are alive then it wont spawn until there are 4 generators repaired and the survivor has to have died before the 4th one gets repaired, 3 for 2 survivors and when you're the last one alive it opens. The only time that hatch is worth the effort is if your team has somehow managed to repair 2-3 generators and the someone dies right before the 3rd or 4th generator is repaired. in this very specific scenario the survivors have an opportunity to scout for the hatch and commit its location to memory. The problem with this is that survivors will stop trying to do generators. And that's my primary point - it seems counter intuitive for the hatch to be relied on the way that it is and yet still be a waste of time.

Perhaps this is a side effect of the hatch now always spawning for the last survivor? if so one (myself especially) has to wonder if it's potentially negative gameplay. Remember, I am a killer mainly so this isn't a post from a survivor crying about OP killers. I don't care either way, I just find it interesting and wanted to discuss the matter with other players.

• slipttees
    slipttees Member Posts: 846

EGC sucks. Should be better remove survivor and game will be killer vs killer. 👍🏽

• darktrix

Yeah, you could do well all game and then watch your Unbroken emblem go up in flames thanks to EGC.

• ThirdSealOPplzNerf
    ThirdSealOPplzNerf Member Posts: 360

Waaa I can't 1v1 the killer in an assyemtrical game and have my free escape anymore waaa.

• slipttees
    slipttees Member Posts: 846
    edited May 2019

Soon enough, starting with two survivors on the hook for the killer's life will be even easier.