How to counter flashlights as Hag?

Exerlin
Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

I just got absolutely demolished and bullied as hag by a group of survivors with two flashlights. Almost every trap was destroyed, and I felt like I was playing a 110% speed M1 killer. I felt like ######### after the match because I had to camp pretty hard to kill anyone, and the end game chat almost made me cry, making me feel even worse... What am I supposed to do in this situation?

Comments

• rch614
    rch614 Member Posts: 551

For starters you should try and place traps further from the hook than normal. A lot of survivors assume it's close to it and flash around it. This'll trip it early so you can get back.

Franklin's is nice.

Try and put traps in weird locations as well. That's what comes to my mind.

I'm pretty interested in how @Poweas handles flashlights as Hag though. Any tips?

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,172

I counter flashlights as Hag by never playing Hag when the survivors in the lobby have flashlights.

• steezo_de
    steezo_de Member Posts: 1,186

Know your opponent. I play against survivors that I know are good with the flashlight. All it takes is one good survivor and your power is useless. Personally, I would just pick another killer because I'd rather use something else besides Franklin's. You can still get lucky and play against someone that isn't very altruistic or perceptive, and your chances are high that you'll still win, but just know that DBD RNG does not favor anyone all the time... even to a killer that has the highest kill rate of them all.

• PeepingPeacock
    PeepingPeacock Member Posts: 354

If its more than 1 flashlight in lobby you really shouldn't be playing hag.

If you must play her, use franklins and trap the flashlight when they drop it, because they will 100% go back for it. Its not a counter, but it will help.

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796

Focus more on traps you can chase Survivors toward and less on area denial ones.

• RepliCant
    RepliCant Member Posts: 1,436
    • Franklin's Demise, When you hit a survivor and they drop their flashlight, trap the flashlight
    • Do not set a trap right infront of the hook or obvious looped spots. Make them slightly unpredictable. i.e. not right infront of a pallet, maybe to the side of the loop. Another example: Trap a few metres away from the hook instead of right infront of it. Unpredictability will confuse them
    • Their flashlight will run out at some point, use that to your advantage.
    • Prepare with add ons and perks that will help soothe the disadvantage you have against the flashlights. Quicker trap times, no-notification traps. I find quicker trap time will help the most.
  • Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051

Don't just trap pallets and hooks.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

Non-obvious trapping. They can only burn so much battery trying to find them if they aren't in usual pallet spots, or pathways. You would be surprised how effective traps out in the wild can be.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

1. Switch off Hag when you see two flashlights in lobby

2. Put Franklin's on

3. Hang around nearby and mind game them. When you see the trap blow up swoop in for the kill.

4. Learn to put traps in non-obvious places. Especially sides of the map and other main thoroughfares where survivors like to hide around and pass through which they never expect to be trapped.

• Poweas
    Poweas Member Posts: 5,873

@rch614 I don't main Hag anymore, but I'll say how I used to handle them.

To the OP, Running Franklins works well. But I have a build where it would never fit in. Against flashlights, I trap one half of the map where they AREN'T. Protect 4 gens there. Give them the other half, the second you get the first hook, place your traps further as @rch614 said.

Basically, if you placed it properly, the flashlighter will run into it thinking you placed the trap underneath the hook and you can just demolish them in chase.

It all comes down to good trapping, (routes, loops but in an unpredictable manner) and making sure they're not watching you to wait and flashlight it once you go.

I once got bullied by a SWF as Hag a LONG time ago, and I learnt from it. Try to identify where you went wrong.

Hag has an amazing snowball so if you down someone, and a trap is triggered, down the other, bait the flashlight save and have 3 down and hooked. Find the other with ur perk and win.

It's hard to perform, but that's how to hard counter flashlighters as Hag.

• chuckles5009
    chuckles5009 Member Posts: 24

To be honest, developers should remove the ability for survivors to clear the hag's traps using flash. It is unreasonable.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Play nurse, the counter for everything lol

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

Franklin's or Overwhelming Presence. Don't play Hag if you see 2 flashlights.

• redsopine01
    redsopine01 Member Posts: 1,269

10 trap the basement and stick them down there survivor tried to destroy enough for hook u can get them easily just run this trick with territorial imperative so you know people are going down there and u can massive slug and hooks

• MrDardon
    MrDardon Member Posts: 3,920

I usually dodge lobbies as Hag when I see flashlights, that's my counter. Because most of the time people use Object of Obsession with a flashlight and it messes you over when playing Hag, I mine as well dc this time even if I don't do that normally

• LPS11
    LPS11 Member Posts: 68

The hag can bait flashlight saves but that's about it , pretending to set a trap instead of picking up can bait a saver out but the trap situation is pretty #########