Balance changes changes for Hag and Trapper.

Poweas
Poweas Member Posts: 5,873
edited June 2019 in General Discussions

These are slight buffs, don't worry. Well Trappers idea is a big buff tbh. But the Hag one is slight one.

First let's start of with the less complicated one, Hag.

Flashlights DESTROY her. It made sense back on her release since you couldn't crouch past it, but now they are unnecessary. I don't think they should break her traps. Simple as. I think flashlights should only reveal the traps to everyone in a 16m radius.

Obviously, I got this from Tru3's video (although he could have placed the trap further from the hook so the flashlighter would walk into it, just saying).

But it's unfair now. Crouching should be the ONLY hard counter. She's one of the few killers who has 2 hard counters. Spirit has ONLY Iron will. Nurse has ONLY LoS. Billy has ONLY looping. Huntress has ONLY loops/better survivors.

The fact that Hag has two, is unnecessary. Obviously this change wouldn't change much with her either, it just keeps Hags from dodging flashlighters.

For Trapper, I think he should be able to go into a mode, where he sets his locations for traps in each map and in a real game, the traps are pre placed in the locations and all he has to do is just walk up to them, pick them up, and place them. This makes him save a lot of time.

You could even let him reset traps without picking them up.

Post edited by Poweas on

Comments

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

I agree to an extent with Hag, It's just too easy to counter her with a flashlight, Having it reveal traps would be a lot better or at the very least have it take a much longer time to destroy a trap.

For Trapper Personally I think all he needs is to be able to carry and start of with multiple traps by default and not be able to step in his own traps.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388

The flashlights only revealing Hag's traps seems fair.

I think Trapper needs to start with ALL his traps but that is just me. All of the lower tier killers need a little something to make them viable and fun to play as and against.

Fun is not playing against the same 3-4 killers after a certain rank.

• Poweas

@Bongbingbing the not stepping into traps would make him like Spirit, but could work definitely.

• Poweas

@HavelmomDaS1 It's her hook pressure that kills her. And flashlights destroy her if she tries to set up, and they can do it from a range. It's unfair. It needs to be good.

Urban evasion hard counters her hook pressure, but not too bad.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Majority of hags I verse are trapping 3+ traps around the hook and aren't really leaving the area. Especially basement hags lol.

But I see where u coming from, it hurts the skilled players more :)

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Yeah I play both sides, nearly all killers and try to be as reasonable as possible. Do I succeed with that always? Nope, sometimes I'm biased. But I try to discuss and find out and correct myself.

Btw, are u playing spirit again? Sound is so broken, haven't touched her for weeks

• Poweas

@HavelmomDaS1 I just turned my volume up a fck load and took off my headset when I'm in the loading screen. I do well in games still. I've improved a lot, I still get stomped though but for the most part, I'm decent.

I can't wait until the sounds are fixed, I'll be going on a mad one XD.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

ill just have all my traps start next to me then (:

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

What I'd change about trapper specifically:

• Trapper now carries all of his traps on him.
    • Traps now inflict 1 health state of damage, always; injured survivors are downed.
    • Survivors no longer receive a random chance to escape traps. Trapped survivors can only be freed by teammates.
    • Traps apply the hindered status for X amount of time to escaped survivor (can be modified by add-ons).
  • Poweas

@Mister_xD but wouldn't it be more beneficial to preset them at the places you'll trap? Or you'll just end up walking back to where you spawned and it fixes nothing.

• KingB
    KingB Member Posts: 747

Ever play siege? If so trapper needs his traps reworked to be more like frost's.

For those who havent, they are basically the size of welcome mats.

Too many spots where traps are placed you can avoid them by hugging the wall.

Trapper also needs the ability to reset traps already on the ground.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

@Poweas depends on it.

if you ask me, Trappers main strength is to shut down one area (when possible with the basement inside of it) and defend it.

when i have all my 6 traps start next to the shack, ill use 3 of them to shut down the entire shack and the other 3 to shut down nearby loops. then 3 gen that place and voila.

currently i need to run across the entire map just to get one trap to add to my location, which really kills me sometimes. if id start with all my traps around me, id be able to finish my setup a lot faster and start hooking players.

• Victory
    Victory Member Posts: 166

I kindly disagree, since if you don't run urban crouching is super sluggish, flashlights aren't too great as of now anyway, its good for flashlights to have their niche against some killers, but thats just "one entitled survivor mains" opinion :)

• Victory
    Victory Member Posts: 166

increase the time it takes to break out and limit it to 3 attempts and you're out. You literally would of killed honing stone lol

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

These are balance changes for hag. Quality of life changes are where they don't effect the actual interactions themselves, things like UI changes, adding animations, rewording things or changing the specific input requred to preform an action.

If the line would be anything that does more than helping a player get the most out of an ability that would otherwise require specific executions (such as auto aim on nurse). This is a balance change since it would reduce the effectiveness of the flashlight vs her rather than just the consistency or ease of use. Regardless of if it is a good change or not the title is misleading.

• Knayter
    Knayter Member Posts: 117

agreed, these are definitively balance change, not a QOL change at all

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

If I see more than one FL than I bring Franklin's and trap their confidence, even if they don't go back for it which they usually do the trap gets activated by someone eventually. Besides id rather they waste the FL on a save because it gives me an early start on finding the savior who now has MYC on them and there's never a trap to far from them waiting be activated.

The bigger point however is they only use the FL to get rid of traps near the hooked or a big loop but that's enough info to determine wither or not you want to go after them. Most people who do this are probably just trying to waste your time which is why I only go after them if they have MYC on them or if I know they don't have a way to waste too much of my time. This info allows me to put more pressure on the other survivors without worrying to much about the guy with a FL looking for saves or traps to destroy.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

Yea those players are usually the ones that give hag a bad rep. I won't argue to much on the basement because once you got someone down there its best to put three traps. One in front of hooked, one on stairs, and one between lockers to get someone coming from window or put one by pallet. After that play normally enless you manage to get two people down there, once that happens staying within tp range or just outside it and patroling is the best way to win and its very hard for survivors to clutch save or even recover after the save especially with MYC.

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923

Buff for the trapper a simple one which is also QoL. remove dead hard though traps.

• chuckles5009
    chuckles5009 Member Posts: 24

Certainly, it seems unfair to be able to remove the hag's trap with flashlight.

More than 90% of hag users leave the lobby when they see survivors with flashlights. This is something wrong.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

Trapper should be able to reset traps by the press of a button.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

I've literally never left a lobby as Hag when survivors have 1-2 flashlights. It's really not that big a deal to change your trap strategy. Survivors with flashlights burn battery checking the 'obvious' trap spots, so you just use a different trap strategy to catch them.

Urban Evasion is a far bigger counter, and it's still not that difficult for Hag to deal with that, either.

• Grandkurama
    Grandkurama Member Posts: 314

I completely agree about hag. Just make the traps not burnable

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

How would that work with Trapper?

From what i understand, you would allow Trapper players to go on any map by himself and allow him to walk around, setting Bear Trap spawn locations for when he plays a real match.

Does that sound correct?

Cause if i got it right, won't there be a ton of collision problems?

Just an example: If i set a Bear Trap on a tile with 4 I walls, and then the next match has that tile actually contain a T & L wall instead, my Bear Trap might clip into one of the walls due to the tile not containing what i had before, rendering it unusable.

• Poweas

@Boss correct.

Maybe the tile could have a warning that the traps may be bugged and they should be placed outside of the tiles?

Or it could not let the traps spawn there? I think that'd work.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

just buff the A tier killer 4head. and trapper just needs to start with all his traps.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I think the second one is best, but instead of just going back to using the randomization, it could maybe look for the nearest location where it won't collide with anything.

And then it would save that location as if you set it up there, so you can see it be there when you edit the Bear Traps again.

Honestly, just the idea of going around the maps on your very own sounds neat by itself. 😋

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,172

Hag is very exploitable by coordinated survivors, solo or SWF. I definitely agree re: flashlights. She can have half of her setup undone as soon as she picks up a survivor to hook them, and that's before you take flashlights into consideration. I routinely break 2 or 3 of her traps every time she hooks a survivor just by running over them. She can't teleport when she has someone on her shoulders. Between that and crouching, she already has plenty of counters before flashlights are taken into account.

For Trapper, the purple Trapper bag should be baseline. I probably play him in 30-40% of my killer games at rank 6 to 5 (I mostly play Trapper, Freddy, Plague), and he's borderline unplayable without a bag in my opinion. I think it's too easy for coordinated squads to completely dismantle his setup without losing anything. Oily Coil or Secondary Coil should be baseline. Ideally an Iridescent Stone effect would happen on every trap that survivors manually disarm.