Game Sounds clarification needed.

GMan79
GMan79 Member Posts: 186

Hi People @not_Queen @Patricia @Peanits

It would be great if you could clarify the sound situation on version 3.0.0. Do you and the Devs say the game sounds are working as intended or is there something wrong with them at the moment?

Besides the lower music volume I have the feeling tons of other sounds, like stunning sounds, weapon sounds Billys chainsaw for example (with no addons), Spirit phasing sounds, skillcheck sounds, vaulting sounds etc. are either too loud, muffled or just weird.

it's even more noticeable when using a headphone with virtual 7.1 sound.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Comments

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531

There are various audio issues since the 3.0.0 update. While the chase music is supposed to be lower, it's nearly silent for some people. That's not intended, for example. We're keeping an eye out for any issues that pop up and passing them on to the QA team. If you find any audio issues, I would suggest posting them here: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/categories/sound

• prof_teabagger
    prof_teabagger Member Posts: 121

Honestly, for me personally the chase music is in a perfect spot right now. Very subtle to hear but at the same time not distracting. Imo you should keep it as it is.

However, other sounds besides chase music are very low aswell. Don't know if it's correlated or not.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,583

i cannot hear the chase music at all -.- it's like the devs have punished us all from those who complained...."Oh you are complaining the music is too loud, well here you go it's mute now!" all i can hear is a double heart beat, Ghost Face's whip lash streamers around his shoulders and billy gnarling sweet nothings at me HAWLP!

• MrsMaliciousX
    MrsMaliciousX Member Posts: 736

I can hardly hear the heart beat...When Im in a chase it still sounds like hes super far away..Until I get downed..I do look behind me but sometimes they mind game me lol.

But everything else is super loud..Foot steps sound like elephants gens are normal the moaning and groaning is super freaking loud..

Chase Music and Heart beat is my major problem..for me its almost unplayable. :(

• PwnyFish
    PwnyFish Member Posts: 70
    edited June 2019

killers abilty sounds are gone too. Or it seems like they get affected by occlusion, not sure.

No nurse blink sound, no billy chainsaw

• Axiant
    Axiant Member Posts: 36

@Peanits Why not just allow us to decide how loud chase music is in the settings?

• megdonalds
    megdonalds Member Posts: 742

I still don't get it why those changes can even pass the QA process, it's unbelievable. Every patch or update they break something or almost everything. Could use some fitting words here for that but nvm.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,531

Ideally, audio is very important in a game like Dead by Daylight and needs to be carefully protected. Being able to hear footsteps clearly or hear a survivor groaning in pain is a big part of the game, and being able to tweak the settings of different things would give you an advantage over someone who's playing with the default settings. If you could turn chase music all the way down, for example, you would be able to very clearly hear a survivor at all times, making it next to impossible for them to lose you.

Naturally this poses the question, "Well what's wrong with that?"

To keep it simple: Audio adds a lot to a game. If you strip out the chase music, suddenly chases feel a lot less intense. It affects the way the game feels much more than you might think, and we wouldn't want someone to feel pressured into turning off the music and killing the mood just to be on a level playing field with people who have it turned off.

Moreover, it is-- by design-- a part of the game. The music does mask some sound and make it more difficult to track things like footsteps. It is meant to make it a little harder to track survivors. That doesn't mean that it should be so loud that you can't hear anything, though, but being able to turn it off completely (or even just way down) would give you a leg up on the people who don't.

We'll try to find the right balance between loud enough that you can hear it and quiet enough that it's not blowing your eye drums out.

• Sheldor
    Sheldor Member Posts: 213

The QA team ? From the quality of the patches and the lack of bug removal this seems to be a unicorn. There is no noticable QA - the muffled sound issues were present already in the PTB. Noone in the 'QA' team ever played a single second of this otherwise it would have been noticed. I still get stuck on tree basis every now and then. 3 player lobbies still hardly ever get filled. Bugs that exist since 1-2 YEARS.

There is no such thing as a QA team at BHVR

• Sheldor
    Sheldor Member Posts: 213

The QA team ?

There is no such thing at BHVR.

Had they played the PTB for just 60 s they would have noticed the major audio problems. Chase musik does not play noticably. Billy chainsaw sounds ultra muffled even if they dont take an add on to silence it. Killer sounds are barely noticable even if they are just 2 bodylengths away.

I still get stuck due to clipping errors close to trees (since more than 2 years now)

3 player lobbies still don't get filled within reasonable time (as if there really were no single solo player in 20000 people waiting to join)

Every new DLC or patch there are new bugs in the game that would have been caught if anybody cared to play the game for 5 minutes.

Either the QA team is a unicorn or they get paid for swinging their testicles all day