Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Vanilla DBD & why it should worry you.

So by now everyone is likely aware of the Vanilla DBD test going on soon. If not it’s basically a test for a new game mode and it has no perks, no addons, no items, no offerings & no SWF. Now on paper that sounds great and like a lot of fun, but in reality this will likely cause huge issues. DBD has never been what anyone would call a “huge game”. The playerbase it has is solid and pretty damn loyal, but it’s jot huge by any means, we all know how long que times have been throughout history. Now imagine adding a new gamemode, what will this do? Split the playerbase, the result? Que times will absolutely skyrocket as players are now split between multiple modes rather then one large que pool. THIS is the issue that Vanilla DBD will likely cause, be ready my friends.

Comments

• CallMeSpidey
    CallMeSpidey Member Posts: 625

I refuse to participate in any of these events because they'll get information regarding a killer and use that information to further adjust the killer based on the statistics.

Nothing will happen to the survivors since they do not require a power to play the game.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

I agree with Blueberry in that you don't know why they are testing Vanilla DBD.

It could simply be the second phase of Dedicated Server testing they mentioned that was going to happen.

The whole thing could be just about making sure the core mechanics are working correctly on the servers before they roll it out for more people to test.

• BlackReaper
    BlackReaper Member Posts: 134

When dedicated severs comes, thats problem will diappear, cause right now the match making need to a geolocation limitacion so you can be calm

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146

On the other hand having a straight Vanilla mode could very well boost the player base numbers for DBD. For the folks that either found SWF or various other perk and addon loudouts unfair this could be a means to bring back alot of players and attract new ones the want to enjoy a more level playing field on both sides. I dont think it would split the player base all that much. Playing with perks, items, addons, offerings for both killer and survivor is one of the major reasons to play the game at all and gives it alot of variety to the gameplay but having a Vanilla mode would be a nice alternative if one needs to take a break from the Meta.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Mmhhh why does this sound so much like my hardcore mode proposal?

https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/15899/hardcore-mode#latest

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899

We don't know what they will use the data for yet so don't waste energy complaining about something that might not even happen.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

Crossplay.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

Who said it was gonna be a new gamemode?

Didn't it say it was on a private build?

So maybe it is testing different features in the game that were not in the live build

• ThatsYoAzz
    ThatsYoAzz Member Posts: 18

I am really amped for this vanilla version test...I play dbd as organically as I can...I dont abuse the game to sway the outcome my way. But it's really hard for ppl to play "how they want" when I'm playing for the fun of everyone in the game...and most ppl play for their fun, which usually means rinse and repeat the best perk crutches they can find for themselves and one basic novice tactic basically farm pts for themselves, and just use them so much they get really good at using that set up...in my day that wasnt considered skill.

I got bored of playing the way most ppl do. I need something more than, I know if I use this it will be much easier to get more wins. Or it's, I am not good at losing the killer, or good at finding survivors so I'll run in circles or use hooks to find ppl. The game is repetitive enough does it really need to be even more repetitive by crutching yourselves to the set ups that let u depend on them more and actually make a good player forget how to play good. I speak from experience.

I followed everyone else's lead as to the gameplay with perks and got really good depending on them, then I switched to someone that didnt have those perks and all the sudden I sucked! I couldn't survive to save my life, which is funny. So I stopped depending on them and learned from them...This mode would seperate the skilled players from the tryhards I play against everyday. The very first time I looped someone I ran them the entire match...I dont wanna abuse mechanics so I cant be caught, or I get all the survivors.

I KNOW I can do that! A big part of the fun for me is getting caught and killed or survivors escaping...Theres no fun if there is no RISK! I realize I am a rare player, in that I try to be considerate of others in the game. I mean, it's just a game...Most ppl I play against care so much how the game ends they've convinced themselves it has to be done by any means possible...I dont play that way. I dont abuse things I feel make the game easier or one sided. I use them in a way that correlates with my experience and skill level. I still have ppl try to belittle me and measure themselves to me cause I have a "low rank" which is laughable when u think about it.

Even if the rank was made to show skill level, it would make ppl be even more tryhard and reinforce the idea that rank matters...this game has so many flaws and glitches with hit detection and latency when tense moments arise, and is so consistently inconsistent. I wouldnt put any stock in it anyway as I cant care about winning a game that isnt based solely on what we do.

When I play, I hold myself to a higher standard I don't take the easy way and it would be nice to find like minded ppl to play with for an actual fun experience...fun by playing the game and let the chips fall where they may. Not, let's do whatever it takes to win. Even if it means ppl will be "salty". I swear ppl play for the fun of salt and not to actually play DBD. I main survivor and I loathe loopers. They give a bad name to ppl who can break line of sight. I want to play Hide N Seek...Not Ring Around The Rosie.

I'm pretty sure I left some grammatical errors for the grammar nazi's. Sorry no TL;DR I have accepted that some ppl will read this and some ppl won't.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

New mode or not, the test is needed for data. Could be a good way to narrow down specific bugs or see where core mechanics aren't living up to their intended purpose.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

A vanilla test could be useful for normalizing the baseline of survivors against the baseline of killers and their powers. Granted, it won't tell us, the players, shockingly different information than we already know, but...

Imagine Pig being able to Ambush survivors more often because there isn't Sprint Burst to prevent the first hit when they fail to spot her or hear the breathing, and thus flee too late.

That's probably the strongest example for how this environment could benefit a killer.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

And who exactly told you that DBD would be getting a new vanilla no perks mode?

• CronaWins
    CronaWins Member Posts: 650
    edited June 2019

This.

Also why would anyone want to play a no perk killer against experienced survivors? Take away everyones perks and the game is even more survivor sided even without survivor perks.

• Dehitay
    Dehitay Member Posts: 1,725

Actually, no perks might actually benefit the killer. It's hard to say since it's never been done before. However, one thing is true beyond a shadow of a doubt. If it's no swf, then killers would swarm to that game mode, so I'm sure that's not the case.

Also, I forget who, but somebody mentioned the primary purpose of the trial was actually to test matchmaking with balance being a secondary focus. There's little chance this will actually result in a new game mode. Maybe new achievements for doing things vanilla style, but I highly doubt a new game mode.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Lol be ready for things that we know NOTHING about. Nah, thanks.

• Killmaster
    Killmaster Member Posts: 429

Really hoping we get some info for the next test soon.

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923

Vanilla PTB is soon right i wish i was on PC. No perks , no add-ons , no offerings that is a great experience to see how the balance is.

killers needs it so clowns players get smashed so he can finally get a buff.

• ThatsYoAzz
    ThatsYoAzz Member Posts: 18

If there were to be a vanilla mode it would weed out all the tryhards who can't win without their crutches...A lot of people would have to actually have learn to play the base game of Hide N Seek...It would be more for the people who want to play the game, and the outcome doesn't matter, cause we are just gonna play more matches, and more matches.

Personally I am sick of playing-Survivor Gen Rush By Daylight- it is fast and boring and only serves to farm pts only for the survivors and make the killer mad to illicit a response in the end game chat...so they can brag about their amazing "skill".

My only issue with vanilla mode, if it were to come about...is how would they stop looping, I main survivor and I look at looping as abusing game mechanics...I dont use it to play very often and when i have it was super easy to keep the killer chasing, and usually resulted in a similar ending the few other times I've used it. Mostly to prove to the ppl who said I must not be able to loop if i dont use it.

How would they stop camping killers and tunneling killers...tryhards always fall back on these tactics when they see they are about to lose...a lot of people rely on a lot of these crutch perks to counter other tryhard gameplay and in essence pretty much become what they dont like, and become dependent on them...

Players with actual skill playing DBD would welcome a vanilla mode as it would separate the men from the boys...I always try to break line of sight when being chased by the killer and i either lose him or get caught and hooked unless my team has skills too and can help me wiggle free. That way other people can actually play and get their chase on and try to have some fun! I know crazy right?! Imagine that playing a video game and not just thinking about MY fun...whodathunkit! I mean it is a video game and yet most I get to play with use it as an excuse to crap all over everyone else!

Regardless of whether or not this happens they need to fix something because I'm on the verge of uninstalling this game...AGAIN! Because everyone cant play how they want when i want a 50-50 fair game and most are tryin to stack the deck in their favor...I like the chase the thrill of not knowing if i can lose the killer...or vice versa...will the survivor be able to break off and lose me?

That's the thrill! Gaming used to be about taking risks and doin things that you cant in real life cause you can actually DIE! I don't know when gamer's lost sight of, games were meant to be fun and kill time. To all that matters, is the "win" no matter how u achieve that goal...Most players dont use those perks to learn how people play or to get better from them they crutch themselves to them, and can't play without them...

I speak from experience of taking off perks and forgot what i used to do before i used it, and sucked for a little bit till i relearned to play again. Now If i use crutch perks I use just one and I rotate it out, and I dont use it every chance I get. I use them in a way that correlates with my experience and skill at the game. I'm really hoping this vanilla test is for a vanilla "mode" but then again for people who can't bare to lose games it might just be better to call it Looping/Camping/Tunneling By Daylight- instead of vanilla.

I actually try to play as vanilla as possible in games now against people running their strongest crutch setups. I always use BT and We're gonna live forever, and now DS, since they made it perfect to give survivors a chance to getaway from a tunneling killer, then I rotate one crutch perk like Diversion, Dead Hard, Speed Burst, or something of the like. I rather die with a ton of pts (25-50k) than "win" and get 10-15k. I've actually had people tell me they dont care about farming but they dont want the killer to be able to get pts and farm too. Like...WHAT??!!

TL;DR... if it's too long then don't read

• Larcz
    Larcz Member Posts: 531

No mater what this can be i just wonder when we got advenced options to set on pc not only low medium high ultra bar.And when will be next uprage graphic in dbd? Like cmon we got 2019 not 2013 year!

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144

I would love a vanilla mode.