"A perk should never be an answer to a game" - Marth

TheGorgon
TheGorgon Member Posts: 777
edited June 2019 in General Discussions

Totally agree, and if I have to be honest, Hex: Ruin is a perk that uses itself to better a killers life while time, and can make a killers pressure increase. It's obvious by now, Hex: Ruin was and still is a perk to combat gen rushing and it does it quite well, but look! This perk does define a character being dependent on it, and that's not healthy.

It's not healthy to have a perk "resolve" an issue, neither is it for a killer to be dependent on it. Do you think it's healthy or unhealthy for the game for a perk to be so prevalent. (Don't get confused, I'm not vouching on nerfing or buffing the perk) (The other point is that some killers who aren't top tier, might really be dependent on the perk, such as the Trapper)

Comments

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527
    edited June 2019

I prefer Pop Goes the Weasel.

In some cases ,its even better than ruin especially for 3 gens strats.

(But I agree with what you said)

• ren_knock
    ren_knock Member Posts: 31

I mean Ruin, Gen Speeds, and BBQ are all unhealthy, if they want to tackle people using Ruin more than other perks, they'll want to reduce how fast gens are completed by a lot at the same time as making Ruin less effective by a lot as well.

That'd be the only way it'd be fair for killers to have to stop using Ruin every game, games go by too fast, only killers with mobility across the map have the pressure to play without ruin effectively.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

The only time a perk can solve an issue is when it changes your behavior when you don't know it's in play. Under that definition NOED is a far more healthy solution to gen rush than Ruin

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

Ruin isn't even the answer. I'm rank 1 surv. My rank 1 friends and I don't even care about Ruin, we power through gens anyway. We can easily do gens super fast because once you learn to hit great skill checks, Ruin is worthless. Games still only last like 6 minutes at our rank.

Gens need a limit to how fast they can be done overall so that there is a minimum time limit to how fast a game can be. That's the only solution. Second objectives will do nothing to solve the issue because survivors will just rush that too. Rushing needs to be made impossible or else it will just continue to happen.

• TheGorgon
    edited June 2019

Totally, but the point that I don't think people are understanding and capturing from my post is that not that Hex: Ruin is prevalent, but it can make a killer great, such as the Trapper, which is pretty dependent on it to be honest. It should NOT be an answer to killers in difficult times. It should not be a substitute for a killers issue in the meta game.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

@KillermainBTWm8 But when someone does a great skill check the slowdown from ruin is greater than with a good skill check

With ruin 3 a good skill check is -5% and a great is 0%

With no ruin a good skill check is 0% and a great skill check is 6%

Thus ruin reduces a good skill check by 5% but a great skill check by 6% making it 1% more effective against people who hit great skill checks.

• Redd
    Redd Member Posts: 833

Every time you get a hex skill check; that is 1.6 seconds of bonus progress you do not get.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506
    edited June 2019

Make good skill checks pause as base.

Make the perk hex ruin regress 5% on good skill checks. Make the actual perk promote risky skill checks.

• Redd
    Redd Member Posts: 833

It’s like magic find. It’s not always optimal; but you always feel bad about not running it.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

They are still doing the gen in 80s or less. When Ruin is not in play I'm not bothering to hit great skill checks every time. When it is in play I focus and hit greats 95% of the time. Hitting greats when there is no Ruin will only increase the speed of the gen by a few seconds at best unless you get like a ton of skill checks.

• artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519

u mean like bandaid fixes? such as bloodlust, bamboozle, and fast vault changes instead of actually addressing the reason why these things became a thing, so now balanced loops and unsafe pallets suffer from really dumb mechanics?

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

The gain from great skill checks won't be worth destroying ruin as it will take more time to have everybody look around so we just do gens and cleanse the totems as we see them. Plus sometimes on gens you get so few skill checks it's funny.

• prof_teabagger
    prof_teabagger Member Posts: 121
    edited June 2019

Devs are doing this since release. "Some core issues? Hey, let's add a perk. U can use it to fix it for yourself. What, you don't have enough perk slots to combat all core issues? Well F you nerd, I already got your money. Play Civ 5 and leave me alone"

Post edited by prof_teabagger on
  • Catbucket
    Catbucket Member Posts: 335

We quoting the guy who just straight up lies about facts again?

• TheGorgon

He didn't specify which perk, so I made a post relative to Ruin as an example. I mean it is pretty true that giving us the tools should only be a band aid and not long term.