The (gasp) Hook

I get the feeling the whole Hook Camping thing has been discussed to death but I have this thought and am wondering if it's been tabled and/or explored:

What if, upon hooking, a (smallish?) aura/area around the Hook creeps outward, causing an oppressive space against the Killer that reduces the speed of their actions by a (not too crippling) percentage and if they stay within that zone, they're pushed out? Perhaps, the pushing occurs only when The Struggle begins and it manifests as a tentacle of the Entity jealously guarding its food, briefly stunning the Killer as they're batted away outside the zone. Should the Survivor be Unhooked, the push effect will not occur and the penalty and area effect begins to shrink.

A potential bug might be clipping from being batted. As for exploits, possibly Survivors dancing around inside the zone? It would almost certainly be a waste of the survivor's time and the Killer can move around outside that space without penalty. Meanwhile, inside that space, I'm picturing that the Killer can still be quite dangerous but the speed penalty affords players a tiny window to do what they need and try to make their escape. The Killer would theoretically be able to close that gap even when crossing the zone since it would both be shrinking and diminishing in power without a Survivor on the Hook.

Comments

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

No.

• Kuripi
    Kuripi Member Posts: 13

Go on? I made the post as a thought exercise in game design and would like to hear more.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Anything that's based on proximity to the hook is fundamentally flawed because survivors can force killers into certain areas. Furthermore, just from a game balance PoV, it makes no sense that the killer should be forced to allow for free unhooks.

Try thinking of rewards for leaving the hook instead of punishments for staying close. Keep in mind, however, that no matter what you do, camping will never go away as long as survivors reward it.

• Kuripi
    Kuripi Member Posts: 13
    edited June 2019

Could you explain the forcing of killers into certain areas? Wouldn't it be more along the lines of luring them more than forcing them?

• I don't see it as forcing them to give free unhooks and I suspect you're picturing bigger numbers than I am, because I'm picturing the Killer still being quite dangerous even inside the zone. Especially if they have certain abilities that exist in the game currently.

• The thought is that the zone reduces but doesn't remove the edge a Killer has, encouraging an Unhook while promoting a Chase. But on the front of rewards for leaving, I have a thought on that but need to give it a think. It could easily just lend even more weight to skills like Barbecue and Chili.

Post edited by Kuripi on
  • PwnyFish
    PwnyFish Member Posts: 70

Not really. The chaser emblem even works that way.

Special condition:

• The Quality of this Emblem will slowly degrade if the Killer remains within 16 metres of a hooked Survivor 10 seconds after hooking the Survivor.
      • Does not apply if another Survivor is inside that radius.
      • Does not apply if the Killer is in a Chase.
      • Does not apply if it is the last remaining Survivor.
      • Does not apply if the Hook is on a different floor.
      • The penalty greatly increases within a radius of 8 metres.

I dont agree with the "push out" mechanic, its too complicated of a mechanic. I think slowing down the progress with the same criterias the chaser emblem has would be much better.

But apparantly it got tested once(like 1-2 years ago or something) with the hook completly stopping when the killer is close and that got abused by survivors(survivors being able to make the hook last infinitly). And since slowing down the progress with the top criterias is the same as just stopping the progress, it gets hated on.

Its better to just cry nerf/buff/remove in here than bringing suggestions. Gets more attention.