An idea to help reduce the grind

Options
DocOctober
DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230

The main cause of The Grind(TM) is the sheer number of Perks we have by now and the fact that each Perk has 3 Tiers to level up.

Killers require about 10 Million Bloodpoints to max out every single Perk, Survivors require about 11 Million. Since the devs haven't adjusted the grind for the past 1.5 years (Patch 1.8.2), it has by now grown to become even worse than the original grind was, aka the Legacy grind, due to the addition of no less than 12 characters since then.

Having played a lot of Deathgarden recently, I got inspired by their system of Vambrances and Perks, especially since a recurring community complaint is, that it's down to RNG which Perks you'll get and when the higher Tiers of it will spawn in the Bloodweb.

My idea would be to make so that the Bloodweb only spawns Tier I Perks. Yes, that would create the "problem" of not having enough Perks to fill 50 Bloodweb levels unless you have unlocked most Teachables, however, I don't think players would mind empty Bloodwebs after unlocking all the Perks they could unlock to that point, it's the same for all those of us who already own maxed out characters in the current system.

Those Tier I Perks could then be levelled to one's discretion. Here I also like Deathgarden's pseudo "Daily Rituals", tying levelling-up to using the Perk itself in specific scenarios or completing certain interactions with it.

Comments

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited June 2019
    Options

It like this idea as for one it may create more perk diversity especially for those who like to have everything maxed out and add rewards for playing around maybe even give 100 shards for each perk maxed. Not a lot just something to make you want to use others for some skins.

Since this would affect prestige they could also maybe change that to be a bit more like the deathgarden idea but not on all perks of course maybe levelling up 10 perks allows you to pick a skin and they reset to lvl 1.

It does mean you can build around what you want and losing may not breed as much toxicity since a few extra bloodpoints don't matter as much in the grand scheme.

Post edited by twistedmonkey on
  • TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited June 2019
    Options

Bloodpoint cost for maxing all killers:

60 Perks x 3 ranks = 180 bloodwebs. With an blood point spending avg of 80k per bloodweb after rank 50. 180-50 = 130 bloodwebs x 80k = 10,400,000 Bloodpoints.

+ 1,600,000 for the cost of achieving the first 50 levels = 12,000,000.

1,600,000 x 3 for prestiging to P3 = 4,800,000 + 10,400,000 = 15,200,000.

Base cost for maxing killers 10,400,000 x 16 killers = 166,400,000

P3 cost for maxing killers 15,200,000 x 16 Killers = 243,200,000

243,200,000 - 166,400,000 = 76,800,000 difference.

Time cost for maxing all killers:

166,400,000 ÷ 40k avg bloodpoints earned per game = 4,160 games

avg 10 mins per game x 4,160 = 41,600 mins.

41,600 mins ÷ 60 mins = 693.333333 Total hours.

P3 maxing:

243,200,000 ÷ 40k avg BP earned per game = 6,080 games

10 mins per game x 6,080 = 60,800 mins

60,800 ÷ 60 mins = 1,013.333333 total hours.

Seems doable, But I like your idea better if only to save time.

• Justwantacreampie
    Justwantacreampie Member Posts: 19
    Options

Yes please, the grind is just getting so bad now. I feel so bad for new players.

• Keene_Kills
    Keene_Kills Member Posts: 649
    Options

110% behind this. Tone down the grind and giving a side objective relative to boosting the perks we actually want to use with each character... absolute win in my book.

With so many killers being so heavily reliant on add-ons, and survivors needing BP boost offerings, I can't imagine doing so will eliminate the grind entirely, so that's great, too.

Reduced mindless grind. Side objectives for each perk. Still a reason to aim for BP. New players not overwhelmed and boosting/maintaining player base. Make it happen, I say.

• Justice
    Justice Member Posts: 60
    Options

Love every bit of this!!!!

• KaoMinerva
    KaoMinerva Member Posts: 451
    Options

What would also help is if crap like splinter didn't pop up. Nobody uses that crap or things like cut coin

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714
    Options

A couple of ideas:

Let people reset the useless teachables that were unlocked not knowing they would turn into bloodweb cloggers.

Level 50 bloodwebs featuring 3 perks, 2 of them reachable.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

Having unlocked every survivor perk, I feel like this would get me interested in levelling someone past lvl 40 again haha

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Neato.

• DenimChicken
    DenimChicken Member Posts: 114
    Options

I'm all for locking those garbage perks I foolishly unlocked.

• Redd
    Redd Member Posts: 833
    Options

I would absolutely hate grinding 40+ perks worth of challenges on each killer. @Peanits This would not make the grind better for people like me who want to get every perk maxed out on everyone I play. It would still be an atrocious grind, with some extra unique pain thrown in on some of the killers I only like to play occasionally (aka not 100+ games in a row).

• Redd
    Options

To give an example, I am currently working on getting all perks Tier 3 on the Wraith. I do not want to have to play Wraith for every single game that I am playing to level him up, because that is way too many games in a row at red ranks to play the Wraith. Just because I enjoy occasionally playing a non-viable killer (Wraith is my favorite lol) does not mean I want to play them dozens of times if that means I'm just going to get bodied.

• Zelfi
    Zelfi Member Posts: 5
    Options

One thing that bothered me when i first started playing this game was there was no way to get rid of all the useless things that were clogging my inventory. I think it would be a nice way to help reduce the grind if we could "sell" offerings, items, and add-ons that we don't want RPG-style. Got a stack of dozens of brown reagents you aren't gonna use? then just sell them back for a 10% refund or something.

• Redd
    Options

I would love this. I would get like 20 million BP overnight lol.

• DocOctober
    Options

Not everyone can be pleased, that's unfortunately how it is. As you can see, the majority of people who came into this thread like the idea.

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,051
    Options

Honestly I find the idea horrible for completionists as well. In the current system I can at least play the way I want and still achieve my goal of getting all Perks Tier III on all my characters at some point. With the perk challenges, I might have to play matches I don't really want to play or won't enjoy. And that not even once. I would have to repeat that with each character. I don't think that it solves the issue, how grindy and unpleasant it is. It makes it easier to get the build you want by giving more choice. That's true and some challenges might be fun. But it also comes with another big frustration potential.

• DocOctober
    Options

While I see your point, I still think the benefits outweigh the potential frustrations.

• Redd
    Options

That's only if you assume it's this or nothing.

They just need to reduce the grind in general. There are lots of ways to do that without ADDING frustration to the system. For example, the average bloodweb at level 50+ costs me 50K blood points. There would be absolutely no downside if that number was lowered to 35K. Lots of little changes like that would add up to be a massive grind improvement without forcing people to play games where they won't have fun. Which frankly makes me just want to face camp to get it over as fast as possible tbh.

• weirdkid5
    weirdkid5 Member Posts: 2,144
    Options

All they need to really do is get rid of Tier 1 and Tier 2 perks. There's honestly no reason for it anymore.

• DocOctober
    edited June 2019
    Options

I'm gonna be honest with you, I don't see this adding any frustration. I think people can be expected to use a Perk to level it up.

Other than that, I know there are other ideas around and other ways to change the grind, but this is not the thread to discuss those, those can be discussed in separate threads.

As Orion pointed out, there is. There aren't enough Perks around to get rid of Tier 1 and 2 altogether.

Post edited by DocOctober on
  • ChesterTheMolester
    ChesterTheMolester Member Posts: 2,771
    Options

I love this idea, it reduces the grind while giving me some goals to work towards. I would like to see a few challenges that have to be completed to rank up a perk.