NoED, fair or unfair?

Options
sluc16
sluc16 Member Posts: 535

What you guys think about NoED? There seem to be a very divided opinion about this perk.

One one side, there are killers where NoED is actually a late game strategy due to the build they have.

On the other hand, there are killers that had a really bad match, and were not able to sacrifice anyone even when using really good perks. Or the survivor did a really good work working as a team to avoid getting sacrified, and still the killer gets 1 or two (some times even 3) kills just because he had NoED, which for some people seems unfair because it was just the perk and not skills.

Comments

• Tzeentchling9
    Tzeentchling9 Member Posts: 1,796
    Options

Gens are currently the ONLY priority outside of NoED. That's the problem.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

@sluc16 it's like an alternative ruin really, the threat of it should be enough to make you do totems and make you slow down a bit to look for and cleanse the totems, or makes the killer extremely powerful.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

With potentially unlimited time to negate its activation, I think its fair. Killer picks it, survivors decide if it gets used.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298
    Options

It's a fair perk, people use it for different reasons. Do the totems and you'll never have to worry about it, it really annoys me when people complain about it but refuse to attempt to counter it. But I do know that being a Solo Survivor sometimes it is hard to find all 5 and that the match can go so fast you have no time to look for it before it procs.

I use NOED as a surprise perk just like Haunted Grounds is, sometimes I let them get the last Gen to let them think their winning ;)

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Noed is fair imo

Any perk (that is working as intended) is fair.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    Options

Ever since I started cleansing well hidden totems that I come across and leaving the easy ones incase of NoED I havnt had many cases where my whole team would have been defeated by NoED.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636
    Options

I applied an objective measure. Survivors are not going postal on Devour Hope, they're targeting NOED.

The only flaw in my reasoning is that they are targeting NOED as a means to an end and might not actually care about it. Maybe they're really bothered by Devour Hope and all it's fairness ruining the game for them. Getting something done about NOED would give them a boost against Devour Hope as killers might then switch to it if NOED gets changed. That's conjecture on my part.

They have consistently lobbied against every fair thing in the game, so it's a reliable measure of what is fair.

• Speshul_Kitten
    Speshul_Kitten Member Posts: 1,861
    Options

If I can do it without NoEd than you’re just holding yourself back as a killer, it is ABSOLUTELY a crutch in my opinion.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527
    Options

Noed becomes useless the higher you go in ranks.

Literally everyone can do it without Noed becomes its not a good perk.

Unless you use it with BW.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

I've never seen a good killer use noed. Imo it's a perk for new players who can't win otherwise.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154
    Options

NOED is fair, it has strong counterplay being an Hex

I personally don't use it, there are better perks

• Redd
    Redd Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2019
    Options

Counterpoint: How many Trappers and Wraiths do you see at Rank 1?

NOED is a "good" perk on M1 killers people really shouldn't be attempting to "main" at a high level. But that's more of a problem with how bad M1 killers are in general and less NOED being a good perk.

• ASpazNamedSteve
    ASpazNamedSteve Member Posts: 1,784
    Options

^ Completely agree with what he said tbh.

The rate of NOED amongst bad killers is HUGE. Whereas genuinely good killers? You will not find many at all that run this perk, it's a handicap for when you couldn't do enough in the match before the gens were done.

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911
    Options

i don't think it's unfair per se, i just don't think it's a healthy perk to run

it's not the kind of thing i think should be promoted in this game, similarly to old DS or MoM

• Saitamfed
    Saitamfed Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

I think it's fair, but I think some players rely too much on NOED because they aren't good with the killer, I think you get used to have NOED so they don't grow much in experience because they are afraids. Of course, is a game perk so no one should tell you if you're right or wrong to choose it. In my opinion is good the short speed boost because there are not perks like "Sprint" for killers.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Not fair or unfair. It's a crutch when not put with an end game build.

Remember Me, Blood Warden, and NOED together makes sense though.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

I somewhat agree with the sentiment that it's used by unskilled killers.

But it really depends on the context.

Did the killer get matched with an obnoxious SWF team that abused everything at their disposal? If so, then I think those survivors deserve to get hammered with NOED.

Did the killer get matched with solo survivors, all of whom just happen to play well that game? Then no, I don't think NOED should come into play there.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

@Speshul_Kitten So you are showing us that you are not using NOED on Billy. But what about when you play Trapper or Freddy on Rank 1?

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

Honestly, I don't mind it.

I think there are some killers who have really bad endgame (Wraith, Trapper) whose powers really become useless.

Also I feel that if you're in a survivor team who brought 4 toolboxes and didn't bother to use some of that time you saved by using boxes to cleanse one totem, then you can't really complain.

• Frozenscum
    Frozenscum Member Posts: 393
    Options

I don't see any reason to raise this question over and over again.

I see only those compain about NOED who entitled to escape by rushing gens and refuse to take some time and cleanse dull totems. By some strange coincidence same ppl say that Adrenaline is perfectly fine perk.

Killer plays with 1 perk less through all trial, but endgame. Perk can be denied by survivors. Perk is fairly strong if it lasts long enough.

Unexperienced Killers use this perk to help them get kill or two in the end if they are lucky.

Experienced Killers use perk when they are anticipating multiple Adrenalines and want to counter it in the end.

No matter if Killer faces SWF or solos, NOED is a perk he can use if he decides to.

• Khar
    Khar Member Posts: 640
    Options

As Hillbilly, whose special ability does what NOED does: instant-downs.

• Rivyn
    Rivyn Member Posts: 3,005
    Options

Survivors that complain about NOED yet defend Adrenaline.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

Difference being that adrenaline is something survivors have to work for whereas noed is something the killer can get while eating a sandwich.

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130
    Options

Fair. No different than survivors using adrenaline.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

@Yamaoka I don't know why your comment made me laugh so hard LOL xD

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    Options

Yes

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,003
    Options

That doesn't make sense. It doesn't reward the killer for nothing (well, it does, but it's justified), it's to punish you not even bothering to take a sec and go "What if he has NOED?" It's there to slow the game down a bit for survivors to cleanse totems and punish them if they don't.

• Naphemil
    Naphemil Member Posts: 66
    Options

I always find it odd that people can complain about a perk that they have the power to deny even existing.... literally do totems and you won't have to worry about it, bad survivors get killed by noed.

• PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899
    Options

@sluc16 It is that way of thinking that makes people complain about NOED. It is subjective for each player what is high priority and what is not. If there is a survivor on a hook and 1 gen to be done, some people think it's more important to finish the gen and risk the person dying on hook and other people think it's more important to save the hooked survivor.

• HorsePower
    HorsePower Member Posts: 126
    Options

Nobody is going to waste time looking for all 5 totems when that time can be spent working on gens. The same exact thing applies to healing. Let's try this again.

Adrenaline rewards survivors for completing the objective.

NOED rewards the killer for being AFK (or losing) the entire match.

• Warlock_2020
    Options

I main Trapper, running him 80% of the time. I don't sweat end game at all. I plan ahead. If there is 1 gen left and 2 or more survivors, I start trapping the exit areas. Nothing more surprising than finding a trap or two on the way to a gate, and one barring the actual lever.

NOED is a crutch when used as a security piece. As mentioned before, I get it being used as a piece in an end game build.

• Warlock_2020
    Options

Oh, and I've seen dozens of Billy killers with NOED running. Why? Crutch

• slipttees
    slipttees Member Posts: 846
    Options

nofair!

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

Fair.

Next question?

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636
    Options

Every single 2nd-chance perk rewards the survivors for failure and punishes the killer for doing their job. Where a mitigation is available for the killer(such as not picking up someone who has DS active), the killer is being forced in their decision and the consequence for the wrong choice is certain.

When NOED activates, the killer has a mere chance to down someone and can only do so if a survivor makes a significant mistake. They otherwise can not simultaneously guard every exit option the survivors have. NOED is always a 50/50 chance of finding someone at a gate, which decreases if the survivors actually bother hiding. The killer then has a catch-22 decision whether to search around or rush to the other gate.

Survivors not only have a simple mititation against NOED, it's not even an unearned victory for the killer if they manage to get someone, unlike a DS or BT is in the last few seconds of a match.

• Frozenscum
    Frozenscum Member Posts: 393
    Options

A lot of ppl say that Adrenaline rewards good play, and NOED rewards bad play. It is not true.

They are both risk-perks to receive advantage in the game capitalizing on opposite's side wrong play.

NOED serves 1 purpose in 2 different ways: get advantage of one-shot if totems are not cleansed, get advantage of slowing down game if survivors do it.

You risk as Killer to not even have NOED if survivors cleanse all dull totems. If they do, you receive 70 seconds of time from cleansing and some time from search in your favor.

If Killer receives NOED in the end - he is capitalizing on choosen play from opposite team who decided not to cleanse totems. He is trading slowdown of repairs for faster chases in the endgame.

Thus, NOED is time management perk for Killer.

Adrenaline serves same purpose, but vica versa. Adrenaline helps you to cut healing time, by risking beeing injured towards the end of game. Some ppl choose to stay injured all trial if they were caught or injured early, saving a lot of time, and sometimes even more if they choose to use Resilience.

Plus Adrenaline can have insta-Unbreakable effect, it has longer Sprint Burst effect, and can be used by 4 members of team for saving huge amount of time.

Thus Adrenaline is time management perk for Survivor.

Please, stop all that nonsense about bad or good play by either side.

• JESUS_CHRIST
    JESUS_CHRIST Member Posts: 313
    Options

They have to protect their totems just like they do with every other hex perk. You can hide in lockers the entire game and still get Adrenaline so it's not like you're being rewarded for much. The only reason killers don't have to work for it usually is because so many people still refuse to cleanse dull totems.

• Lmronby
    Lmronby Member Posts: 339
    Options

Anyone *can* do it, yeah. But every match depends on what survivors you go against, and how good you are As a killer. (And which killer you picked with the right strategy)

• BOSS242
    BOSS242 Member Posts: 171
    Options

"it"s fine just stop talking about it!" Could we not have said the samething about MoM or DS? I never ran or currently run MoM, DS or NoED, why? B/c the are crutch AF!! Or at least all 3 use to be, 1 is now in a good place, 1 is nerfed out of use.(a perk people paid for btw and now all 3 Ash perks are trash) the last is NoED. And if half or more of a group (almost all survivors, most good killers and some 50/50 players) feels something is wrong with this perk then HOW IN THE F, can you say it's in a good place and is perfect the way it is?? I play both and i HATE this perk!! Not cause it's OP i just think it feels bad to use and have used on me. It may very well be balanced (don't think so but maybe) but if it's "not fun" to sooo many why can't we just chance it to something everyone can live with. B/c obviously a lot of people don't like it or they would have stopped talking about it by now if it wasn't a problem!! And PLEASE FOR THE LOVE stop saying breaking totems is a fair counter! It's not! If it was one then yes but all of them? With no way of knowing how many have been found by others? On farm maps maybe but, the game? The hospital? Ruin is one of the best killer perks out there, you don't think it becomes OP if you had to break all 5 or 6 totems to turn it off? Basically the counter to NoED right now.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,663
    Options
  • FredKrueger
    FredKrueger Member Posts: 265
    Options

So if a killer uses NOED, it's a crutch. But survivors running DS, MOM, carrying purple and green toolkits isn't though? Some killers have to rely on this perk, especially if you don't have ruin, unless your maining Billy, nurse, or spirit. Not everyone has every perk unlocked for every character. What about the newbies to the game that get stuck playing with grievers that de-pip on purpose to stay at high levels? They need to balance the game a lil better. As a killer and survivor, playing killer is a big headache, while playing survivor is boring and easy most the time. Don't get me wrong, I get plenty of 4k's, but it's always a giant headache with killer. Where's the fun at?