I Feel Like Exhaustion Perks Are Far Too Strong.

Before I begin my rant/explanation, allow me to preempt the flow of hate that merely suggesting a nerf to anything in this game will inevitably receive.

"You're just a salty killer main!" 

Yes I am a killer main, however I believe that my opinion is unbiased in regards to this topic, since I have been playing both sides since the release of this game. I understand the dynamics of both sides, and the frustrations. I also believe that certain killer perks such as Noed, Rancor, and certain killers such as Nurse and Spirit are also unbalanced, however that is not the topic of this thread.

"I think X perk is fine because Y Perk/Killer counters it."

Just because something has a counter does not make it balanced. Unless the counter to that something is part of the base abilities available to any killer/survivor than that aspect of the game needs to be altered.

"I've had little to no trouble with X perk, so you should just GIT GUD."

That's probably true. I could stand to practice at this game. I think we all could at the end of the day. However, do not just assume that I am speaking only through my own opinion on these perks. This thread has been an idea long in the making, and I have used ideas/material from many friends and community members over the years, and I'd like to think that I speak for all of them.

I can't think of any other common objections to this thread, so lets just get right into it shall we?

Note: At the end of the day this is a Discussion. By no means should you accept my words as law, nor should you outright disagree without providing any reasoning as to why. Please, feel free to suggest your own changes, or explain why you feel no changes need to be made.

Lets just get right into it.

Sprint Burst

When starting to run, break into a sprint at 150 % your normal running speed for a maximum of 3 seconds.

Causes the exhausted status effect for 60/50/40 seconds.

The main problem with this perk isn't the speed it provides, but in how it is activated. When the perk is active unless the killer is very lucky it's practically insured that you will reach safety before the killer can harm you, regardless of how bad your position may be. It also forces the survivor to walk to objectives, which can end up crippling their ability to reach objectives if they wish to preserve it.

My proposed change is simply adding a 3 second timer before the perk will activate, similar to Head On Apply Directly To The Forehead. This will not only punish survivors that don't pay attention to their surroundings/positioning, it will also allow survivors to preserve their perk without forcing themselves to be immersed.

Adrenaline

You are fueled by unexpected energy when on the verge of escape.

Instantly heal one Health State and sprint at 150 % of your normal running speed for 5 seconds when the Exit Gates are powered.

Adrenaline is on hold if you are disabled at the moment it should take effect and will activate when freed.

Adrenaline will wake you up if you are asleep when it triggers.

Adrenaline ignores Exhaustion.

Causes the Exhausted Status Effect for 60/50/40 seconds.

This perk is by far the least balanced of all the Exhaustion perks. The main problem is how much distance this perk can afford you over the average killer. It's practically a guaranteed escape against more than half the killer cast if you have competent teammates, who could also be running Adrenaline.

My proposed change is to either reduce the speed boost you are granted, make it so adrenaline will simply remove exhaustion instead of outright ignoring in when triggered, or make it so that it will only heal you if you are downed. 

Balanced Landing

Your agility is incomparable.

Cat-like reflexes reduce your stagger duration from falls by 75 %.

Upon landing, start sprinting at 150 % of your normal running speed for a maximum of 3 seconds if not exhausted.

This perk is very useful, even while exhausted. That is a problem. Due to current map design, this perk can be downright game-breaking at certain locations. HaddonfunField being the worst offender.

My proposed change is to either add a cooldown to the stagger reduction, something short like Quick And Quiet, or simply reduce the duration of the speed boost you are granted if it is going to provide so much utility. Or just fix the damn maps. Seriously this has been a problem since day 1 BHVR come on get your ♥♥♥♥ together

Lithe

After performing a rushed vault, break into a sprint at 150 % of your normal running speed for a maximum of 3 seconds.

In Lithe's previous state, you needed to be in a chase to be able to use it. In that state I had no problem with this perk, since even though you can gain an insane amount of distance when you combine a window with a speed boost, the killer still had a chance to gain bloodlust to counteract the gap.

However many survivors complained about how finicky this system was, which was a legitimate complaint. So BHVR fixed it for them.

This made the perk far too powerful in my opinion, but I also feel that this change was needed, so my suggestion would be to simply reduce the duration of the speed boost you are granted since with the new system you can guarantee your safety while triggering it.

You may notice that I am not including Head On Apply Directly To The Forehead on this list. That is because I see no problems with it. It's a very situational perk, and it makes for some fun moments. I hope they keep it exactly as it is, minus the various bugs of course.

Now it's your turn to type something! Agree? Disagree? Have your own suggestions? Feel free to post them below! That's what the discussions are for, to discuss. Hopefully I'll see you in the fog.😀

Comments

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

Really, I'd rather a talisman system or something, where downing a survivor makes them drop their "Talisman" and they have to go back and find it, which is like a 10 second channel. A survivor version of Hexes i guess.

• darkknight287
    darkknight287 Member Posts: 42

I just think killers should get balanced because certain ones need buffed while others need nerfed I believe sprint burst is one of the weakest exhaustion perks to be quite honest because you have to walk around to not waste it which can waste a lot of time

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634

SB - I wouldn't care if there was a 3 second timer on it. I honestly don't care for the perk as is. Think it's the weakest. It can be annoying when people use it as a last minute dodge, though.

Adrenaline - Most people use it for the insta-heal. I think people would be more up to giving up the speed boost than the heal (I think so, at least).

BL - I believe they had it that way before and it didn't work all of the time, though it having two affects does make it quite strong. I don't think it's strong enough for a nerf, though. You have to be by something to jump off of and a lot of maps have large flat areas. I'd be up for fixing the maps that have a lot of them, though, and fixing some of the loops, though.

All of the sprint perks have the same times. I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) their length can be matched to the sprint you get when hit.

@AetherBytes A talisman system would be cool for survivors.

• Andreyu44
    Andreyu44 Member Posts: 1,527

Adrenaline is the best survivor perk in the game ,but that doesnt make it OP.

I do not think exhaustion perks are a must-have ,but they do provide a super big advantage.

I think Lithe and Adrenaline are fine.

DH and BL have an insane ability to extend loops.

SB is good to forgive your positioning,but its not good in chases (Unless you 99%).

I think the only OP exhaustion perks are DH and BL,the others are fine,Imo.

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923

Fine i guess you are low rank, do you know what BL does in haddonfield. DH in crotus prenn asylum, Adrenaline activating for 5s while doors only take 20s to open. I guess they're fine.

Lithe and SB are fair game i got nothing to say about them.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

You forgot Dead Hard, but in all realism a good survivor can loop without these perks so what your doing is hurting people new to the game with a slight annoyance for a killer because it extends a chase usually at the start of the chase too. Reducing the time these take effect is cool and all, but to balance that the boost of speed will be added making it more likely they gain more ground then before.

All in all the ability to close a chase comes down to you yes there are variables to it as well.

• MySpaceBarsBroken
    MySpaceBarsBroken Member Posts: 167

If you want an actual discussion on overpowered survivor perks, make a thread about object of obsession.

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922

Considering I main both... I feel it's really funny you want Sb nerfed considering it's the worst survivor exhaustion perk. You also mention using bloodlust to "catch up". The general consensus from high rank killers and survivors is that we all want blood lust to not exist.

Survivors and killers are allowed to have powerful game changing perks. Exhaustion perks already got a solid nerf that made them far more fair.

If your struggling to counter exhaustion perks here's a quick few tips to help with each of them.

SB - If someone's walking away from you despite having clearly seen you, wait for the sprint burst, wait for them to use it and chase them to the loop. Don't lunge as they'll gain even more distance and you won't hit them.

Dead hard - if you suspect a survivor has dead hard, ie there charecters head is looking behind them, wait it out and hit them don't lunge you will miss. It is incredibly hard to dead hard a m1 tap however.

Balanced landing - try to lunge and hit them if your close enough before they hit the ground a la assassin's Creed style. If they hit the ground or have left the ledge before you they will gain the distance. Just chase them and know they won't have a dead hard.

Adrenaline - if you down them, and then they stand back up or you suspect they will have adrenaline (ie there a Meg or otherwise) wait. Don't let them get the adrenaline off, wait for the gen to pop and hit them if they pop back up. If they get adrenaline on your shoulder/hook you can't counter that but their team earned it by doing the objective. Noes also counters it somewhat lel, and forcing them to loop in an area that adrenaline won't help them in if you suspect gens will pop soon are both useful. Otherwise just don't chase them and go pressure gens.

Head on - do a hit at the locker if you suspect it. Or just bait it and walk out of the radius, either way they will waste it. If you predict right you can actually get a hit off when the use it just before the stun hits. Made someone DC doing this.

Lithe - just chase them tbh simple as that, just watch out for the dance with me/quick and quiet combo

• Creepytaco
    Creepytaco Member Posts: 36

I play as the killer and survivor. I actually think survivors can stand to be a bit stronger perk wise, or even have actual abilities like killers do depending on what they are. But if they went that route they would likely need to add more objectives or just more gens. With the perks listed I would let sleeping dogs lie as they say, I never have any problems. The fact they get exhausted after using them is balanced enough.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

I don't think exhaustion perks or any of the second chance perks are overpowered singularly. Combined on every single survivor though? That's an issue. Chase extenders with how the maps currently stand are pretty powerful.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

All of these perks are fine. With the exception of BL on certain maps. otherwise they don't need nerfed lol.

• DaS_only
    DaS_only Member Posts: 656

Yeah, Clown and doctor is kinda garbage. Getting a survivor exhausted with them addons takes no skill and is also hurting dead hard users more than other exhaustion perks. Huntress is kinda fair, but strong tho

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862

hell.no.

• BloodyTapp
    BloodyTapp Member Posts: 108

The only thing I'd do with exhaustion perks is not allowing BL to reduce stagger duration while exhausted. It should be one-time per chase as all the others do

• TheIdeaMind2000
    TheIdeaMind2000 Member Posts: 39

Okay here's what I think, my personal opinion okay. I think that Sprint burst should have a more efficent way like this,

Sprint burst

Increased running speed by 115%/120%/125% of moment speed.

Running in a long distance for more then 15/10/5.2 seconds causes the survivor to be in exhaustion for 35 seconds.

Balance landing

Landing reflexes are 100% when landing from a 1.5 second drop. Gives a small boost of speed 135% for 2.5 seconds.

Causes the survivor to be Hindered for 35 seconds, go a second time falling will make the survivor injured from the second fall.

Adrenaline (two different parts all separate)

1) When the getting off a hook you'll be healed back and be given a small speed boost of 145% speed for 4 seconds.

2) When a generators is done while in chase you'll be given a 135% speed boost for ONLY 3.5 seconds. When all generators are done, you'll be in the healthy state and given a speed boost of 150%.

Lithe

Increased vaulting Pallets and Windows by 8%/10%/12% faster while in/not in chase.

In chase will give a boost of 125% moment speed for 2 seconds.

All of them them exhaustion for up to 45/40/35 seconds. Recovering your breath is when your not moving or when your walking.

How do you think? Should these be balanced fairly or now?

• PoisonHurts
    PoisonHurts Member Posts: 48

I think all the perks are fine except adrenaline. I suggest keeping the same healing ability but reduce the speed to 50%/60%/70% for 5 seconds, and you stay exhausted forever once activated. I think this would be fair and allow only a small second chance that could only be used by smart players. That way it's more skill based to get use of it.

You could also make it to where it's an obsession perk and it stays honlw it is if your the obsession, and if not then you only get the speed boost and no regen.

• TheIdeaMind2000
    TheIdeaMind2000 Member Posts: 39

Okay I forgot dead hard and Head On so I'm gonna say this.

Head On

When entering a locker 50%/75%/100% of entering of the locker makes no noise when slowly getting in. When the killer is 5 meters of the locker they can be stunned up to 4 seconds.

Doesnt give exhaustion.

Dead Hard

Activating the perk will give you a small boost of avoiding damage. You'll be giving ONLY 3 tokens and be used anytime. Gaining a token is by getting protection hits only.

Exhausted after all tokens are used.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321

50/60/70% ? So you want survivors to be slower than normal running speed (100%) while getting adrenaline? 🤔

• BalmungUchiha
    BalmungUchiha Member Posts: 7

I just read the the whole forum here and got one thing to say to the Survivor players complaining about NOED.

That Hex is hot garbage in high-ranks. It can be so easily countered by simply looking for the totem. If you don't cleanse totems from the get-go, or have a teammate doing it, your team has it coming for a letting a bad killer use it. XD (No offense meant.)

• ATOMIC_ACE_PUGG
    ATOMIC_ACE_PUGG Member Posts: 359

Holy ######### now killers want to nerf exhaustion perks? Holy kek are we reaching meme teir complaints just remove the sprint button

• PickCollins
    PickCollins Member Posts: 495

I'm fine with an Adrenaline nerf.

But Noed needs to be gutted in response.

• MassiveToggaf
    MassiveToggaf Member Posts: 37

Posts like this just make killer mains look so bad. People just need to stop complaining and calling for nerfs every five seconds, it creates a very large "boy who cried wolf" mentality in the minds of the developers, and if they do listen it likely makes the game worse in the long run.

I say this as a killer main myself, the only map I've hated any exhaustion perk on is the aforementioned Haddonfield-BL. Sprint Burst forces them to walk if they wish to conserve it, BL requires them to know where to activate it adding to the list of safe spots they have to remember, Lithe doesn't guarantee safety as you can be hit or grabbed during the process of activation, Dead Hard arguably has the highest skillcap out of any of them, and if Adrenaline activates it probably means you weren't going to get that 4k anyways.

The exhaustion timer alone balances the perks out and that's not considering they require proper use to get the most out of them or that counterplay exists.

Please stop unnecessarily complaining.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,793

@MassiveToggaf unfortunately it will never be enough for some people. They aren't happy until perks are rendered useless. Just look at the latest topic on MoM activating 2 out of 50 games. People are legitimately saying that's a good thing. They don't want balance.

• MassiveToggaf
    MassiveToggaf Member Posts: 37

@brokedownpalace it's not even specifically tied to this game. I've played games before where the devs cave to people calling for nerfs that leads to an overall bad experience.

https://youtu.be/bsC8io4w1sY

I recommend anyone who plays this game and cares about the balance and fun factor to watch this video, even if it doesn't specifically pertain to our game.

• MainSusie_Feng
    MainSusie_Feng Member Posts: 22

I love this idea, this should have been in the game from the start. Great thinking.

Also, I don’t think exhaustion perks should be nerfed, never.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

The only thing that needs to be nerfed is map design.

• Blueeyes913
    Blueeyes913 Member Posts: 5

Adrenaline does NOT need a nerf PERIOD, as you are left with one less perk for most of the game. In fact, that's why it's powerful. In exchange for one less perk for most of the trial, you score a big boost during the Endgame.

• wait4him2leave
    wait4him2leave Member Posts: 118

I like sprint burst because I get to laugh at my friend when he gets hit shortly after claiming he is too fast for the killer. I would only nerf adrenaline. Get rid of healing from a dying state.

• Spirit_Hag
    Spirit_Hag Member Posts: 168

The thing about these suggestions is its only a nerf to one side ( a big one at that), so what are you suggesting we balance on the killers side to compensate for the survivor nerf?

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676

As a fellow killer main myself I think that all exhaustion perks right now are fine. All have times where they shine but still enough disadvantages to keep them at bay. Only one that could be considered a bit too strong is adrenaline.