Horror in dead by daylight?

So I’m just wondering what the community thinks about the horror aspect of the game. Should they add more or less horror or is it good the way it is? And how would they go about doing that?

Comments

• The game is not horror and i can safely predict that they are not going to change the way it is. Just look at the skins. We just need emotes and voice lines now.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

Horror-themed, but not horror. Kind of like Beetlejuice or The Addams Family.

Though I do admit then when I see a Nea coming to unhook me, a little wee comes out.

• TheRockstarKnight
    TheRockstarKnight Member Posts: 2,171

There are horror themes and influences, but this game isn't exactly scary after your first two or three games as Survivor.

The reason this happens, at least IMO, is because most Killers are very predictable and avoidable.

The Terror Radius, the Red Stain, looping, aura-reading perks, and being able to see the status of your fellow Survivors all make the game much less tense because they give you information.

It is easy to tell when a Killer is near, where they are going, and what they are doing. As a Survivor you have a lot of information available to you if you know how to look for it.

The scariest Killers are those that deny this information: Michael Myers and The Spirit with other Stealth Killers to a lesser existent.

In general, denying information can make people uncertain and nervous because they aren't sure what the right course of action is.

The reason Scratched Mirror Michael is scary on Léry's is because you are denied information and uncertain how to react: he could be watching you or he could be on the other side of the map and you wouldn't know.

If we were going to turn DBD into a more tense and horrific you'd want to make it so Survivors have much more limited information available to them.

Things like making the map darker for Survivors so they can't see very well, removing their ability to see other Survivor's health states and force them to listen for screams to know if someone has been hooked, removing the Killer's Terror Radius and Red Stain so they can approach unseen unless the Survivor is aware of their surroundings, and getting rid of a Survivor's Survivor and Killer aura reading perks.

Now that won't happen, and I don't think it should outside of a new game mode, because Survivors are used to their information and the game is balanced around it. Survivors would riot if so many of their survival tools vanished and unless Killers were significantly nerfed they'd become frustratingly overpowered for solo Survivors.

**TL;DR - By and large, DBD isn't scary and to be scary it would need a major rework of it's central game mechanics.**

• Remi1993
    Remi1993 Member Posts: 88

With these new cosmetics they will make ti anime...

• Gothic is not creepy at all. Why would you think it's scary?

• miaasma
    miaasma Member Posts: 911

i don't think this game will ever actually be scary to anyone with more than 100 hours in it. at most, you have jumpscares, which isn't really horror and more just moments of being startled

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520

I don't know why, but in the few games I had play as survivor, I was always afraid to face the pig. For a unknown reason, I fear most that crouching girl.

But no... I had never meet a pig. Instead a ton of meyers, huntresses, billys and a few nurses far I remember.

So, with luck I have avoid everything in the game that could possible give me the willies^^.

• Emily wants to play is scarier than this game if you think about it. I know it's awkward. Toys vs Killers? hah, lol no. Turns out it is.

• IDK about goth, but it seems edgy to me. I guess you could do something with it, but with what happened to Legion...

• sweaty_gamer
    sweaty_gamer Member Posts: 25

As long as survivors are teabagging and pointing at 8 feet serial killers wielding chainsaw after every pallet drop, I don't think it will be an horror experience

• ArecBalrin

A population gets scared of something they don't understand. Said population creates iconography to ward-off the scary things. The iconography gets transmitted through culture. Through a process of iteration, the iconography is now associated with the very scary things it was designed to keep away.

Scarecrows come to represent hunger, dreamcatchers start to represent nightmares as do spiders and their webs. Grotesques, gargoyles, spires, arched windows and steep rooftops- gothic iconography, make places look haunted.

• ArecBalrin

Also, conventions having 'codes of conduct' for attendees, make it look like said conventions have a massive problem with inappropriate behaviour, even if they never have. Different thing, but the principle is the same.

• I see.

• I could see that happening. Imagine it with VR. Would be really cool.

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

Horror was the original theme when the game first launched. Now the game is more about License characters and neon cosmetics. Horror has been pushed out in terms of actual "fear" or "scare" and is used as decoration.

I'd rather go back to a scary DBD game, however as you play something and get familiar with it that fear will always be pulled away.

Alien Isolation - I know the AI programming by heart now thus the alien has no effect.

Resident Evil (any really) - I have played them so much I can pretty much dance around the zombies and infected.

Anthem - I have played too many EA games to know my money was wasted.

You eventually lose any sort of horror theme over time regardless of developer changes.

• Sean
    Sean Member Posts: 107

The game is more competitive, RNG hitboxes than horror. The game used to be scary af when I first started. But now it’s not really that scary anymore

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611

Absolutely nothing is scary after you spend 100+ hours playing, and if it is, it'll sorely lack in other aspects to keep people coming back.

The action aspects are what keeps the playerbase alive in this game. People come for the horror and stay for the action.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,068

You cannot expect a game to be scary after a while playing it. There are really good Horror games out there, but if you play those like 5 times, you will not have any Horror Feeling at all.

For example, Amnesia - the Dark Descent was really scary. After playing it for a while, you are more trying to glith the monsters instead of actually being scared of them.

If you play Outlast 10 times, you will also not feel any fear at all. Same goes for DBD.

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669
    edited July 2019

At least for me, it is impossible to feel scared in a game knowing you are against another players who’s controlling the killer. It’s just a totally different mindset, as opposed to playing like Resident Evil or Outlast. I can get pretty scared in those types of horror games. The mindset in DBD though is more competitive since you’re against an actual person, it’s just not the same at all. There’s nothing they could do in this game to make me feel actual horror.

• Lmronby
    Lmronby Member Posts: 339

I'd love to see this game get a major overhaul to make it Much scarier. Darker for survivors, brighter for killers. Riskier for survivors, a field day for Killers, overhauled and improved graphics and sounds, maybe even Ray Tracing for that extra immersion..

I think all the ingredients are there; this game is just Fun the way it is. Maybe a spinoff game by the same people would work; like.. Death by Dawn or something :p

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634

It's fine the way it is. I wouldn't really say it's horror so much as hide and go seek spook tag. It takes place in spooky locations with spooky killers, but you really can't make this sort of game a true horror I don't think.