The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Tunneling

martin27
martin27 Member Posts: 696

I know tunneling can be both a legitimate strategy and a tool of toxicity, but is it really necessary to tunnel just 1 person right out the gate and make their playtime shorter then the time spent waiting to find a match. Would it not make sense to go after another survivor when you clearly have the option to.

Comments

• martin27

It can be a strategic choice which is the why the devs don't ban it. But like a lot of things now it feels like a lot of people will use it for toxicity.

• Well, I thought this was obvious, but the wounded survivor/ recently unhooked is logically the weakest target.

• martin27

True but when you have the option of all 4 being in one place why not mix it up. If you think a certain survivor is an easy target why not take the opportunity to go after one of the more difficult ones.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

4 Survivor: 1 hooked; 1 secure; 2 on gen. With good killer can requires 2 secure; 1 on gen.

3 Survivor: 1 hooked; good killers can make no survivor on gen.

There are alot of time when things going good with 2 gen left, then 1 survival dies. Then things keep falling because constantly secure/healing/hooked/secure/healing. In the end, all dies and still 1 gen left.

I main survivor, but sometime I player Killer for daily rituals, I see how fast gen done without Ruin or good perks (because all Killers are level 1, I dont give them blood points). But still I dont tunneling because I know how that feel, I only tunneling or even facecamp when a survivor appears to be toxic.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

The option is not always clear.

Since release, the game has been changed to substantially lengthen chases, at the request of survivors. They have many more means now of keeping chases going, whilst the options for killers to shorten chases has barely changed at all. The base time to repair a generator has increased from 70 to 80 seconds, with Ruin adding what I would estimate to be 20 extra seconds to each generator. This was more than cancelled-out by time in each hook phase being increased from 45 to 60 seconds.

What these all add up to is more time-pressure on the killers, whilst survivors have more chances to fail and still win. The currency for killers is time and for survivors it's their known resources: items, remaining chances to be rescued from a hook, map features etc, divided by their remaining objectives. Time is not much of a factor for survivors, but it is for killers.

Killers face catch-22 decisions all the time and there's little reason to end a chase unless there is a very clear chance that a new one against someone else will start immediately and end quickly. Survivors have always loved to say 'just chase someone else' but they never want to talk about the specifics of making that decision.

• martin27

I can do pretty good as a killer to get 3k or 4k's most games without tunneling or camping but will do those things when i need a bit of leverage. At the end of the day i remind myself there is a actual real person on the other team to avoid becoming a toxic player. I just see so much of a killer tunneling myself or someone else to death when they aren't under any pressure.

• Nickeleye
    Nickeleye Member Posts: 278

Killers will tunnel as long as survivors gen rush. Both sides see the other side as toxic.

• martin27

Just as gen rushing ruins a game for a killer tunnel a single person giving then no chance to do anything else ruins the game for someone else.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

I like when every side have fun game but if there is only one gen left or I am in a bad situation tunneling has to be done. Tunneled survivor can still pip or avpid depiping at least.

• martin27

I wouldn't expect the killer to give up and give me an easy win. But even if i think the killer deserves at least 1 kill i am still going to attempt an escape or a rescue. Sometimes i pull it off sometimes the killer gets a second kill. Right at the beginning when there is no pressure on them is forcing another player out of the game the right thing to do?

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599

@Shaped Tunnelling can still let survivors safety or pip. However, it's very unlikely to, and it's just dishonest to imply that's normal.

• martin27

@ElusivePukka he is talking about a legit reason to tunnel and i'm referring to the none legit times.

• Drazen
    Drazen Member Posts: 400

tunneling smartly knowledge comes when u have enough experience in the game but tunneling like braindead idiot is something what rank 20 killers do

• Rouge
    Rouge Member Posts: 102

I think that everybody agrees that tunneling sucks for the survivor but just in the way that the game functions I think it isn't avoidable. I cannot see a state in the game where tunneling doesn't happen.

From what I have seen tunneling happens by accident (not purposefully going out of your way to specifically kill one survivor regardless of gamestate) and inevitably ends up not being an act of malice. I would hope that it happens out of convince, and not pure spite towards a survivor. Usually when I seeing tunneling happening it just is out of target selection, example:

Killer returns to a hook that they just noticed an unhook occures at while looking for a target. They notice that there are two survivors there and one of them in injured from just being unhooked. Seeing that one of the targets is easier to get as they are injured and if the chase ends in a hook will apply even more pressure to the spacific survivor since they cannot be hooked again. (or they just outright die on the hook and a 1v3 is more advantages then 4v1)

Here me out here, I really don't want tunneling to happen, it just ruined the game for some people but I don't think that the community is going to be able to find a way to fix it. In the game we already have the addition of anti-tunneling perks like DS and stuff along those lines.

But if you are going out of your way to specifically kill one surv out the game you are a [BAD WORD]

• Kiskashi
    Kiskashi Member Posts: 1,043

This is very true, as a killer it’s tough situation but if there’s only the unhooked there what else are they meant to do? It’s the reason why if I hear the killer returning to the hook and I haven’t finished healing the unhooked I will wait by the hook to draw attention away (otherwise they will just follow the blood/scratch marks etc). I can’t stand those teammates who haven’t been hooked at all and just disappear and cause the same person to get repeatedly attacked/hooked... it damages the whole team and makes that person feel like they’re being tunneled even if the killer isn’t actively trying to do so.

9 times out of 10 if I draw the killer away from the unhooked, even if they return to the hook instantly, they will go for me easily unless their goal was to tunnel, it makes real tunneling obvious.

• Virayn
    Virayn Member Posts: 9

As a survivor, it does get annoying when you feel that you are being tunneled by a killer, but the thing is, the killer isn't a survivor's friend. They're trying to kill the survivors. If there's someone who's just been unhooked, and they are injured whilst the one who got the save is either not injured or has just ran away and hid, the killer isn't going to NOT go after them. And as many people have stated, most of the time it is not something that killers do purposefully. Personally, I won't tunnel or camp unless the survivors force me to. I'm not going to leave the hook if I know a survivor is near and just waiting to get the save. So yes, I can understand the frustration because it hinders a survivor's ability to play, but if anything, it's usually the other survivor(s)'s fault for not trying to protect you.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

@martin27 Seems like it has happen to you. Well, probably a killer like me did it: Determined who was the weakes survivor (The one that was only good at doing gens) and got rid of it quickly.

The secret to not being tunneled is being not as easy to find and or catch. Be better than at least one of your teammates

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

Sorry martin27, but actually tunneling is the best when it's done early. Not always the best choice, but if there are still 4-5 generators left to repair, and one's already dead, that's when you know you're in a good spot as killer.

The only sad part about it is that it's usually the least experienced survivor who gets tunneled out quickly. That's bad for new players, so some of us show a bit of mercy there... or rather, it feels so much better to tunnel the cocky master looper to death, then take care of the rest. But unfortunately, that's not always possible.

There's only one thing to do about tunneling: get used to it. Sometimes it happens to you. Not the end of the world. Killer plays AGAINST you, it's no surprise if he destroys you, such is the nature of the game. It definitely doesn't happen every game (if it does, you're doing something wrong).

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Thats exactly the point ^

Gen is fast to done without Ruin + Great survivor can keep the chase last like 3mins + 1 survivors dead make gen progress 50% slower = tunneling is the key to win for many Killer players.

How to make Objective done slower? How to make tunneling is no more possible? How to make chase time less?

We all know the game should have 2nd objective to extend the gameplay time, 30-45sec chase to make Survivors constantly unhook/healing to make them super busy. With that I honestly believe giving double DS for 2 hook stages for every survivors as a stock to get rid tunneling is a must, or even adding the 5th survivor (depend on Objective length). 1 on hook, 1 in chase, 1 secure, 1 healing the one just being unhooked, 1 on gen.

• Vombate
    Vombate Member Posts: 37

Personally, I dislike camping, since for me it prejudices more than helps (gen rushing), but when I see that a survivor unhooked, the first thing I do is go to the hook and follow the scratches. If he doesn't hide well, I will find and hook him.

I was reported once for "cheating" when I was just following blood splats right into lockers. :)

If you still think tunneling is absolutely toxic and shoudn't be done by killers, let me show you a Plague add-on:

Black Incense: Survivors' Auras are revealed to you for 5 seconds when they vomit.

Since a survivor vomits right after being unhooked and vomit periodically if infected, it works like a Bitter Murmur for unhooking and makes tunneling almost ridiculously easy.

Remember something: Survivors will do everything they can to stay away and win the match, and you, as killer, should do the same.

• Toecutter
    Toecutter Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2019

I was playing as killer for the first time in months the other day and at the end of the game the gates where open and i had one person hooked. I was hanging around near the hook as the other 3 players where all in my view waiting for the rescue.

So the guy who had been teabagging me the whole game at every pallet comes in for the rescue. He pulls them off the hook and i let the almost dead survivor go and went straight after the teabagger toxic surv and knock him down with the chainsaw.

Carried him off to the hook and whilst they all sat in my view i just watched on as none of them could get to him.

After the game and killing the toxic survivor i get told i`m a failure at life by the cocky survivor who thought he was invincible, for my camping apparently when when the gates where already open and all his teammates where just swarming and body blocking etc the whole game.

I did not tunnel anyone in that game but sometimes survivors are so cocky they ruin the game for themselves by being cocky lil sh**s :)

• martin27

@Toecutter i hear that, it seems like survivors will be way more toxic. I'm just asking trying to ask people to remember it's another person on the other side. Maybe change a few opinions and cut down on toxicity bit by bit.

@vomitlocker not saying that every instance is done for toxicity's sake but i do feel like it's on the rise from people being toxic or just not really caring.

• Toecutter

I understand that i never take this game very seriously i play for fun but as a survivor and killer in equal amounts i even dislike the toxic members of my own team as survivor sometimes. But as a killer the hate mail i get even on the PS4 is crazy:).

Although the other day i played one game where every surv DC`d as i downed them, One poor guy left on his own so i chased him for a bit before he realised i was leading him to the hatch to escape sfter his team abandoned him lol. Now got another friend to play with .

• Toecutter

I did make a reply to you and i agree but as i edited it for spelling it needs a mod to approve it now.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Just tell the person endgame that you were only countering Adrenaline by killing them before it procs, just like everyone on the forums tells killers to :D

• Vombate
    Vombate Member Posts: 37

When the dedicated servers go live, the players (both killer and surivivors) who stayed after a DC will be rewarded for staying in the match (aside from penalties to the player who DC).