Voice coms, please no.

Options

My fellow data miner friend just discovered some PushToTalk option in DbD code...

Please no. Dont do it. At least dont make it inmatch... That was exact the same reason, why i left CSGO... And it would kill all the atmosphere...

Please tell me this is not happening. It may be a garbage code, ps4 party systrm implement, BUT PLEASE, NOT THE VOICE COMM

Comments

• invira_zero
    invira_zero Member Posts: 229
    Options

@Rydog there is a plenty of ways to close the gap. Simple interface change, so people could see what everyone is doing atm. Aura reading, fast notify, whistle. A LOT OF STUFF MAY BE DONE (dont take as yelling, mate). The VOICE COMM is the simplest, an the worst decision imo.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

@invira_zero I really think the game would benefit from certain perks being baked into base kits (like, say, Bond for all survivors and Whispers for all killers). And, it would be great if the HUD icons showed fellow survivors what teammates are up to (working on a gen, getting chased, hiding in a locker, and so on). There ARE a lot of options to smooth out the overall experience.

What I'm saying about voice comms is this: Organized groups already use it, and this is a detriment to both killers (since the game wasn't designed or balanced around it) and solo survivors (since they aren't getting any teamwork benefit out of a SWF group's communication). When I say it would close the gap, I mean that it would benefit all survivors equally (SWF or not), and it would force the developers to balance the game's killer side more honestly, since they would have to move forward KNOWING that voice comms roundly impact the whole experience.

The way I see it, no one loses out. Anyone who would prefer not to use voice chat could just disable it and never have to think about it, but it would, I suspect, inevitably drive balance in a better direction for everyone. As it stands, whether you or I or anyone else personally prefers to use voice comms or not, it IS impacting our play in largely invisible ways. Making voice chat a base feature of the game would add a lot of much-needed visibility to that impact.

• Rydog
    edited July 2019
    Options

I feel like people in this thread have their heads in the sand, and are just insistently ignoring the strong likelihood that you'd just be able to disable and ignore this feature if it were implemented, if you don't want to use it.

• invira_zero
    Options

@Rydog yeah, but situo will be the same as in CSGO. People will rely on voice comm, cause its easier to use, rather than text typing. People will yell at you in post game, cause they told you something, and you didnt hear it. In outsource voice comm, you just share info with your fellow teammates. Same could be done with UI implement. Dota and LoL have pinging abbility, DbD may have a whistle for that.

I know that it would make things better, but it would ruin all curent atmosphere and meta. As for me, there should be the way for comms, but not the voice one.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

No one asked you yet, so I guess I will...

Where was this found?

• invira_zero
    Options

@Boss https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/793115036354673011/47A1E9E6EB6BCA3439F4682B40E923C56C97B2B5/

As i get, that is controls mapping file. Was sent to me, like an a 2 hours ago.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,023
    Options

@Rydog Couldnt have said it better myself

@invira_zero What atmosphere would voice coms existence ruin that isnt already ruined by ppl already using opt in voice coms in this game. And why must we do ANYTHING with the goal of preserving the meta in mind? If the meta shifts to something else, why is that a bad thing we should strive to avoid?

• Rydog
    Options

@invira_zero I get what you're saying, and I agree that there would inevitably be teammates who get salty because someone wasn't using voice comms.

The problem at hand is that voice communication is a factor that impacts the game experience whether it's in the actual game or not, and nothing else they add would ever address or really correct the issue in quite the same way; it would just be a bunch of Band-aid fixes. When it comes down to it, this is a case of reality intruding on the intended play experience, but what can really be done balance-wise?

I'd love to see both of our suggestions implemented, frankly. More in-game communication tools, and voice comms for people who want it. If post-game chat goes south because someone didn't use comms, you can always just say gg and leave (and I feel like this is a practice a lot of us have had to develop for this game anyway!).

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714
    Options

Yeah. With your logic, there's also a strong likelihood for having a chase music volume slider, colorblind options, ranked and casual modes, the ability to stay playing as an SWF group, etc, etc.

I don't take anything for granted in DbD.

Except, that it's full of 12 year olds.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614
    Options

Many thanks.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Condorloco_26 The stay in a SWF group thing has actually already been confirmed. Thats rolling out when dedicated servers come.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

I'd rather have voice comms tbh I would use it in SWF more than I would use actual private voice. Actually that's the main reason I won't play KYF no proxy chat we can only use our private voice chat. At least the killer would be able to listen to people talk if this was a thing. I'd imagine it would have an opt out option as well.

• Rydog
    Options

None of those things have anything to do with what we're talking about. I understand things like the curated audio and visual experience (music volume and sound effects being set to a specific level for a reason; brightness setting being controlled by a consumable item). None of those are the same as external voice comms, which is an outside agent intruding on the game experience.

Any built-in voice comms would would have to come with the option to disable the feature, but I don't think that's a reason to NOT consider it.

• LordGlint
    Options

@KillermainBTWm8 Any downsides to using the ingame voicechat over discord would just have the same ppl using discord...use discord. If the killer can hear you using the ingame chat, or perks/addons can dampen the chat, ppl will just use discord to bypass that.

• Condorloco_26
    Options

They are related, in the sense that the OBVIOUS features that should be in the game, are being OBVIATED, left out, for some reason.

But, if you don't want to connect the dots, it's as simple as this:

Don't count on them adding an obvious feature.

I'm tired of having to mute 7 different profiles each time I go into a match in Friday the 13th, for example. Is there a button to mute EVERYONE? = No.

Do I expect DbD to add the button right away, in case they even add the thing? = No.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212
    Options

@LordGlint The legendary depip squads maybe but I know many people at high ranks too that would much rather have proxy with the killer having the ability to hear them because it would simply be more fun. You could be right but some people will still use it especially during Solo play.

• invira_zero
    Options

@Rydog sorry for pinging, again. But i got on mind other voice stuff. Did you played Escape From Tarkov? I dont mind about game quality, but there was some interesting interactions. Game itself dont use any voice comms, but pre write phrases on hot wheel. I may deliver some screenshots, if i get them. There were enough of phrases, that could describe everything, even neing FUBAR (famous Russian blyat is intended)

Damn, didnt found those, but you got me. Not really related to theme, but find some of them on YT.

• Rydog
    Options

I hear you, but I have to assume some sort of good faith as a baseline when discussing ideas like this -- i.e., I naturally assume you could disable this feature if it were integrated into the game. Just going NO DON'T, and squashing good ideas because you're counting on the developer to completely botch it is not productive.

• LordGlint
    Options

@KillermainBTWm8 If they tried to balance around a system where theres disadvantages (an example being if Knockout lowered your talking range as well as aura range) we really would be in the same boat were in now. The only incentive to use the inferior ingame chat over the no downside discord chat would be convenience.

• MonsterInMyMind
    MonsterInMyMind Member Posts: 2,744
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Peanits @not_Queen Imma be honest if this is true you guys have no idea how bad this is gonna be imagine giving solos voice comms and making them swfs levels its gonna be rough for killers by doing this every game is gonna be teams playing sweaty not a fan of this at all.

Also not a fan that this is even an option honestly as if the community was not toxic enough lets give the trolls voice comms.

• Condorloco_26
    Options

You're right. It seems I'm overly pessimistic about this idea in particular.

I may not type everything that goes through my mind in that exact moment, but it kinda goes like this:

I don't see it happening, in the first place. I see a lot of cons aside from the possible hassle that it would be to mute 4 people every match.

Why do I think like this? DbD was not designed around comms. Are you really asking them to rebalance 16 killers and all their perks, mechanics and maps, just to fit the idea? Just look at how long it took to rework Freddy. Springwood. 2 maps A YEAR.

The devs know people already use 3rd party apps or PSN party chat, and the Xbox equivalent to communicate. Why would they load their backs with this unnecessary burden?

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850
    Options

Yeah i dont need to hear whiners and cryins over voice coms

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839
    Options

They should add in-game voice chat, but for survivors only. It would kill the SWF-solo gap for good and allow the devs to balance the game accordingly.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Hexyl Im actually gonna disagree with you, but here me out. If because of voice coms, survivor teams are able to completely stomp you... Wouldnt those teams simply go to a higher rank than you and not face you? Currently, we have instances of 4 solos who are individually REALLY good, therefore getting the rank theyre at...As well as SWF squads who are "boosted" by SWFs to get to the current rank theyre at. The SWF squad on an individual lvl might not be much, but are at that rank due to better teamwork rather than better loopers. If they implimented a built in system, youd just get more of the "boosted" squads facing you (notice the quotes on the word "boosted").

• MonsterInMyMind
    Options

You're missing the actual problem EVERY team is going to have free information its basically going to make every game more boring because you are going to have solos have free information the point is not them being good or boosted its basically taking the fun of playing against solos away and instead just making swfs every game i dislike the idea and i probably wont be playing if this releases its gonna take all the fun away.

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839
    Options

If the devs add survivor voice chat then they could actually balance the game around it. Right now they like to pretend SWF doesn't exist and balance around solos without voice chat. Which is why SWF squads can bully most killers.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Hexyl So, just to be clear...Your saying the problem isnt due to a difference in difficulty?

• MonsterInMyMind
    edited July 2019
    Options

I understand that but you do understand that this right here is going to be basically the most boring thing they've ever done correct? Imagine playing killer vs swfs every game im sorry but that is just not for me i play the game for fun not to basically get sweated on every game because the devs dont care about bully simulator.

• MonsterInMyMind
    edited July 2019
    Options

No what im saying is imagine every survivor knowing your movement where you are who you are chasing like this basically makes dbd a bully simulator on crack by adding this you guys want nurse every game add this and watch and see because other killers will never be played because it will be bully simulator other wise.

Swfs is the lowest its ever been im sorry but i see this as 100 steps backwards this just is an awful idea.

• Rydog
    Options

The game needs to be balanced around the expectation that survivors are communicating, yes. Because they are, whether you and I are personally doing it or not, and it impacts play in ways we don't necessarily see. If that's not taken into consideration by the developers, then I think everyone is just continuing to pretend it's not there.

• LordGlint
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Hexyl So...your saying your gameplay as a killer WONT be harder?

• Rydog
    Options

Again, discussing in good faith: The idea is that they would work to balance the killer experience around this, too.

• MonsterInMyMind
    Options

What in the actual world are you even talking about what does killer being harder have to do with the conversation seriously are you like high?

• LordGlint
    Options

@Hexyl Im trying to have a conversation with you, try not to attack me. You keep trying to rant about something Im not even asking about.

• MonsterInMyMind
    Options

Bro either way its dumb and unneeded swfs is at its lowest why are we basically making every game a swfs i dont understand literally back tracking i guess theres always Gold Express.

• MonsterInMyMind
    Options

Attack? LMFAO remember everyone asking if someone has smoked a doube is an attack what im ranting is on topic what you are asking is completely off topic and has no actual impact on the matter at hand stay on conversation then.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Rydog I dont think there really would need to be that many changes to killers besides to stop pretending like the blindness effect or perks similar actually do anything. If survivors end up becoming strong enough to effectively "bully" a killer player, those teams would just end up becoming a different rank and not play against that player.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Hexyl Just trying to break it down REAL simple. Do you think the ppl you play against being on coms makes the game more difficult for you?

• Condorloco_26
    Options

@Rydog

That's exactly my point. I'm sorry if I'm unable to get it across.

I get the impression that they're comfortable ignoring the issue to certain extent. They keep releasing content and killers without even mentioning the stuff.

Whatever unbalance comms bring to the game, they're hoping to even out with some killer powers / addons / offerings and small tweaks here and there. I've seen for example, they're indirectly trying to nerf the gen rush/comm meta teams via spawning them together. That way they won't start the match on 4 separate gens.

I've really noticed they recently adjusted some numbers there because a lot of times I play versus a team, I find them all bunched up real quick in the match. Playing as a survivor I almost always spawn next to 1 or even 2 teammates, even though I always play solo and there's no offering thrown.

And being perfectly honest, with this little change I'm no longer steamrolled as frequently as before when playing against SWF teams.

So based on all this (and maybe I'm just delusional), they don't even care about adding in-game comms. And if they do, I highly doubt they would rebalance the whole thing.

• Rydog
    Options

Eh, I'm of the mind that killers should have a supremely easier time actually locating survivors, just in general because the clock is always against the killer. Baked-in comms would make that a lot easier for people to accept as a balance necessity.

• MonsterInMyMind
    edited July 2019
    Options

See this is a trick question i say yes you go but discords a thing or git gud

I say no you argue why would it bother you

The simple answer is it comes down to the survivors not me the game revolves around how they play a good team can dominate a good killer it's been shown before a bad team will lose yes the fact of the matter is this change is taking 100 steps backwards and instead providing a free outlet for everyone to communicate basically ridding the game of the fun of vs solo players because you can chill and not play super sweaty feel free to have your own opinion but i have mine i disagree with this idea and i see how its going to impact the game say goodbye to the chill games enjoy playing nurse or just being bullied into infinity and beyond.

• LordGlint
    edited July 2019
    Options

@Hexyl Im not asking "trick questions". Theres no ulterior motive here. I cannot possibly have any conversation with you if you insist that everything I ask you is some kind of trick. If they implimented this tomorrow, do you think your games 1 month from now would be more difficult than your games today?

• MonsterInMyMind
    Options

Absolutely you would notice a drastic change in how survivors would play.

• LordGlint
    Options

@Hexyl I have abit of a theory... I play way more killer than survivor, so my survivor rank atm is rank 9. I only play solo, so my rank 9 is off MY merits alone, how well I avoid the killer, and get ######### done rather than teamplay. The game sees fit to place me with other rank 9s against a rank 9 killer. If my skill were to remain the same but all of my survivor team were to join a chat and properly apply teamwork... we would no longer be playing at a "rank 9" lvl. The rank 9 killer would then feel bullied.

My idea is that assuming my skill as a player were to stay the same, and voicecoms were to be implimented, in 1 month...by the time rank reset has come and gone and everyone has been able to reach their appropriate rank...I would NOT be rank 9. I would NOT be facing rank 9 killers and bullying them but rather would maybe be rank 5 going against players who are better able to handle it.

• MonsterInMyMind
    edited July 2019
    Options

You're idea is banking on people not deranking which wont ever stop your idea is also banking on killers wanting to rank up once this is added i can honestly say im not ranking up ill do everything in my power not to im good i dont want to face bully simulator id rather have fun and not be forced to play sweaty ive been to red ranks ive done all there is to do in the game but the one thing i refuse to stick around for is voice comms its gonna actually gonna make a lot of people quit including myself honestly.