Localized in-game chat and new item

On F13, you can only chat with other players if you're close enough, which the killer can hear if they're within range. You can get a Walkie Talkie and then you can chat with anyone from anywhere. I absolutely loved this feature. Dead and struggling survivors can't chat and we don't need after game chat.

I know there are concerned about toxic players saying nasty things to each other, but I think the benefits of adding this element would be huge for DBD and a lot of fun. Would also be great for meeting likeminded players you'd like to play with again, helping with networking and building the community.

Survivors would be careful not to say anything when in a terror radius or when being sneaky as to not tip off the killer. It adds additional realism and strategy. The deafness feature, like added on the hags perk, could be used more to remove communication as well. Madness could have a delay in communication or other voices masking the sound, making it confusing. (Might be a stretch on this one, but one of you may have an idea on how this could work).

Having to be really quiet when the killer is near makes it feel like you're really in danger. With a mic, you get benefits and risks. This addition would make the game feel so fresh. Adding a few location restrictions, like walkies disabled when inside the exit gates and basement, would be neat as well.

This may not work perfectly in DBD, but I personally think it would be an amazing addition that's worth discussing and testing.

Comments

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

god, no.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

Honestly, Voice Chats in International Onlinegames are not a good idea. Except when the community is mature, but we all know that DBDs Community is not mature at all.

Besides that, Language Barrier. Not everyone speaks English, depending where they are from.

• MinusTheBillie
    MinusTheBillie Member Posts: 349

Sounds like this might be a real possibility now, but also sounds like I’m part of the minority that would really enjoy it. Really interested to see if this comes to dbd.

• fenshing
    fenshing Member Posts: 66

When I quit F13 it was full of kids calling me the n word and blaring music constantly. Do you REALLY think that DbD would be better? Every single game I have ever played that is how people acted. It will hurt the game more than help and will spread toxicity like nothing else.

• Maelstrom10
    Maelstrom10 Member Posts: 1,922

Adding any form of communication would just buff swf/teams in general, and while I'm not against that we have to take that into account when talking about it.

F13 is not dbd, some of its features are not applicable to it.

Plus I don't really want to be screamed at by strangers for not taking orders, it's why I left playing overwatch. You could say just turn team chat off. But then you'd have people dodging lobbies of people who don't want to talk.

Also as discords/steam voice chat is a thing, why should the devs spend effort and manpower to put this in the game? For console users? For mobile users? Purely to buff swf?

While yes it could be a fun feature it presents to many problems to even be considered at this point. We need to implement changes to buff survivors communicatively, I still think a limited version of kindred (perhaps a flash of Aura reading) should be added to the game, along with buckle up being basekit. But with any form of information you give survivors, killers need to have ways to counter and fight back against these new buffs. If everyone starts acting like a coordinated survive with friends, then killers need ways to combat that. Else all you'll see is top tier killers. Survivor and killer should never be able to hear each other as that would just lead to major toxicity, ie survivors selling each other out, and killers or survivors mocking each other and being even more toxic then now.

Buff killers before you give everyone this kind of buff.

I'm not trying to shoot down your idea I'm really not. I'm just saying it needs a lot of consideration first.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,238

External voicechat for strategy and "just chatting with friends"

The other for racial slurs and trashtalking the killer.

• MassiveToggaf
    MassiveToggaf Member Posts: 37

Im just gonna copy paste my comment from one of the other three [BAD WORD] threads about this.

I see two things going on in this thread.

Thing the first: People against the idea of In-game comms based off both the game not being designed for it AND experiencing the strength of swf groups using 3rd party comms.

The second one: People in favor of in-game comms citing that it will open up balance changes yet not providing examples of how it can be balanced.

In-game comms don't prevent people from using the 3rd party comms. Yet In-game comms can possibly provide an advantage for killers.

With this in mind what will almost certainly happen is either survivors will completely ignore the in-game comms opting to use 3rd party comms to deny the possible killer advantage, OR they just use it to grief the killer. Only a small percentage will use it the way it's intended.

This is also not considering the amount of people that hate the idea so much they quit the game resulting in a loss of player count leading to longer queues leading to griefing having an even larger impact leading to even more people leaving. It's like some sort of snowball. Granted this is only a possibility, not a certainty.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

We all know how much people are getting insulted already in the after-game chat. Sorry, but in-game voice chat won't work with this community. It would probaby hurt the game and make a part of the playerbase leave.

Language barrier is another issue.

Those who want to talk to each other can easily use Discord or another program.

• Condorloco_26
    Condorloco_26 Member Posts: 1,714

Dude, for every nice person I've come across in DbD, there are 100 jerks that I'd prefer never knowing again from.

Please no. U want comms? There's already discord, psn party chat, and whatever the name in xbox is.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

Hell no for two reasons:

1. It'd give every Survivor team the power of an SWF and the devs would probably end up taking a while to start giving Killers the buffs they need to deal with every Survivor having access to comms.
    2. It would tremendously increase toxicity.