Who do you consider to be The Main Character

2»

Comments

• Gardenia
    Gardenia Member Posts: 1,143

The Main Character is Jane Romero. It's all just a nightmare after going unconscious in her car crash in my mind....

The Main Antagonist is actually Benedict to me. While the Entity is just a presence or force that happens to be there.

Both Jane and Benedict work on opposite sides of the same coin.

Just my imagination...

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

Kate was supposed to go with Bubba, but Behavior could not get their original character released with Bubba, so she was put off longer.

• End_of_Slayer
    End_of_Slayer Member Posts: 146

If we want to discuss the main characters of the game. That is a simple task on paper. First, when are the main characters in our story? The Entity, Benedict, Vigo, and probably the Prisoner once they release the Archives.

Next, what purpose do they serve in said story? Entity is trying to consume emotions to grow in power, and consume the world. Vigo is working on what the Entity is. “His” (Blight) notebook was about the Blight that the Entity goes through. And the Auric cells that make up what the Entity is. Benedict is reporting his findings and appears to be taken by the Entity (Blight again.) The Prisoner is going to allow the survivors and killers remember who they once were. Which will probably let the Entity get more emotions to feed off of, and they may even burn brighter than they ever did before.

And once the Archives come out, we may finally be able to understand what truly happened to Benedict. Not only will we get cutscenes for the characters... we get journal entries. Benedict or Vigo left something behind and it’s our job to figure out what is going on in this world. It’s our job to solve all of the mysteries. The devs will never blatantly tell us what is happening. From the words of Côté himself; “One question answered is another four questions asked”

• BlackMercury
    BlackMercury Member Posts: 172

I like to think each trial is like its own slasher flick. The main character is the Killer, because that's how slashers are, but the protagonist is whichever survivor either escaped when their friends were killed, or managed to save their friends.

If we're talking about the Lore as a whole with the Entity as the antagonist, then the main character has to be someone that can actually stand up to the entity in some way. Benedict is the first option, being someone who learns about the entity and may have learned how to escape. Vigo is another, one who learned how to manipulate the entity. Vigo's apprentice, the character from the hallowed blight, also stands a chance. And the new guy, the Archivist, who can steal memories from the entity, and actually damage it in the process, though I think he'd be more like the overpowered supporting character, like 11 from stranger things.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 2,004

Months later and I still don't understand how anyone can answer Dwight.

• End_of_Slayer
    edited July 2019

I do agree that the Archivist is like an overpowered character, being able to pull memories out of the fog and give it to the characters. But why would such a character be involved and the Entity not know about it? Why would Dave tell us that they are also called the Prisoner? Unless the Entity is using the Archivist for something more.

My theory is that the Archivist is a character brought in by the Entity, to help itself. What happens when you remember something? A slew of emotions will follow through, more emotions, more ways to feed and grow. The Entity is using this character to give the survivors and killers more emotions. Did you forget that your father killed you? Here you go, now you remember exactly why you were enraged in the first place. Survivors will gain new found hope if they remember what is waiting for them on the other side if they do find a way to escape their hell. Dave also said that we have to figure out their backstory once he is finally released, and it shouldn’t be quite interesting to see what’s going on

Post edited by End_of_Slayer on
  • End_of_Slayer

My theory is that the Archivist is being used by the Entity to help itself. It’s giving the survivors and killers memories as to why they are killing, or why they are trying to escape so desperately. And by doing that, the Entity gets more emotions to feed off of and continue to grow without having to throw anyone away into the Void.

• ATerribleBilly
    ATerribleBilly Member Posts: 69

@Science_Guy Because Dwight is Dwight. Why wouldn't you pick Dwight?

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469

Its a story between the Entity and Benedict Baker. Everyone else are pawns in their game. There is a cool Anime out there called DRIFTERS that makes me think of this game often. The battle between Easy and Murasaki make me think of how The Entity and Benedict Baker might be.

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165

@BlackMercury I would go on to say Kate could probably take her on (The Entity) because she has so much hope and is literally a beacon of light, that even she could rival that of The Entity.

• End_of_Slayer

I do agree that Kate could possibly defeat the Entity, but the devs confirmed that it is extremely patient. Which would mean eventually, Kate would run out of hope. The Entity is a malevolent being which our minds cannot comprehend, but if we can grasp onto anything from it, then it loses a bit of its power. It’s like knowing someone’s name, if you know their name, you have some power because our names are only something specific people should know.

If you were to... let’s say find the name of the Entity, we could be a step closer to figuring out this whole mystery. In this world, knowing the name of the Entity might actually cause it to break a little, maybe even cause a little rift in the realm. Because knowing something 100% true about the Entity would actually surprise the creature, allowing the survivors to use the chance to possibly escape. But hey, it’s just a theory, that’s the fun part about this.

• BlackMercury
    BlackMercury Member Posts: 172

I'd say Kate has the best chance of irritating the Entity. But when it's between a country singer who's great at lifting spirits, and a literal malevolent dimension of intelligent cruelty, I think positivity's just gonna be one small ingredient to beating it.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

That's like saying a large enough piece of bacon could beat you up.

• Detective_Jonathan

@Orion Well I sure don’t see that brain of yours putting anything useful in.

@BlackMercury @End_of_Slayer

This was taken from the DBD Tv tropes site, which tells a whole lot about the characters and what tv trope they fit. This goes along with the fact that she could be the key to defeating her (The Entity) But would require some kind of comprehension of the elderitch being.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

TV Tropes is a wiki that compiles opinions. It's irrelevant in determining actual lore.

As for what I said previously, let me make it perfectly simple:

• Hope is food for the Entity. Saying that Kate is so hopeful that she's a threat is like saying that food that is too nutritious for you could kill you.
  • DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    edited July 2019

I agree with Orion on both accounts. The analogy is silly since strong emotions are nothing else but tasty sustenance for The Entity and Wikis that only rely on opinions rather than facts should be disregarded in discussions.

• End_of_Slayer

With the current state of the lore right now, it’s impossible to tell if the Entity can actually be defeated. But seeing as how Vigo found out the building blocks of the Entity being the form of Auric cells, there is a way to figure out some things. We still need to figure out what the Entity said to the killers for their anniversary weapons. The devs said it’s possible to figure it out, but I don’t think we have done it yet.

Then you have the Entity talking to the killer when they have Whispers equipped. Survivors can hear the Entity when they are in tier 3 madness. So it’s interesting. The lore has to be one of the best parts of this game, shame that not a lot of people discuss about it.

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

I only recently noticed the Entity's voice in tier 3 of madness. Since the Entity drives killers insane to kill for him/her, then madness seems to be the one factor to be able to connect to the Entity.

• Detective_Jonathan
    edited July 2019

Not a wiki. And that’s a lot coming from someone who made the claim that The entity was of possible female gender. On a wiki that he created @DocOctober

on top of that @End_of_Slayer people haven’t they’re too lazy, or just dont read.

• Detective_Jonathan

@Orion until I see you providing something useful. Then I’ll take what you say into consideration. It’s better to sit and think that it’s possible then to not sit and think at all and rely on “oh she’s just food”

• End_of_Slayer

If you think about it, everyone in the Entity’s realm is basically food for it to feed off of. The Entity feeds off of strong emotions, which means that both the killers and survivors are pawns in this game. The killers don’t realize that they are being used for something much worse than what they are. Even if they do realize it, they cannot comprehend what it’s trying to do. Thus the hooks in Trapper, pillowcase on Nurse, deadly plague for Plague, Hag being rotten flesh, Doctor in a forever open smile. They were tortured to being killers. They all succumbed to the bloodlust whether they wanted to or not.

• BadgerT40
    BadgerT40 Member Posts: 48

I say meg cause she’ll is the blue is girl in the first trailer they made before she and Claudette’s switched race

• DocOctober

1) I did not create the DbD Wiki, I'm just the top contributor and Head Admin of it.

2) The devs themselves talked of her as a she, rather than an it and it is also explained why the Entity is most likely female. The Entity being female is not just a hypothesis, it's a theory based on evidence.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893

@Detective_Jonathan

Considering The Entity feeds of hope it's quite possible that Kate is benefiting The Entity than harming her.

Not only is Kate herself a massive banquet that The Entity could feed on for a long time but her constantly giving hope to the other survivors and bolstering their confidence and happiness basically makes more consistent meals for The Entity.

Less survivors get dried up when it comes to Hope and tossed into the void because Kate keeps giving them a hope boost.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

Jake, Bill or Ash

They are the ones I like the most

• Jdsgames
    Jdsgames Member Posts: 1,109
    edited July 2019

Simply put: Dwight, Trapper, and the Entity. The characters that are the first on the roster and the Entity(nea) itself.

However, lore wise it appears that there are more survivors than just the roster we have to play. So it would seem that each one is a main character in their own right. Some having a more generalized role like Kate and others that make more frequent appearances. Dwight, Claudette, Jake, and Meg vs the Trapper in the opening cut-scene. However, with the more recent events such as the Hallowed Blight event and EGC. It appears the entity's power is growing as more trials are being played.

Post edited by Jdsgames on
  • GodDamn_Angela
    GodDamn_Angela Member Posts: 2,213

Right.

I love Kate, she's bae, but while she thinks she is helping the Survivors get through it and that they will get out one day she is in turn actually helping to strengthen the Entity. She keeps the other Survivors going but this also keeps the Entity going. Its a loop that will never end because Kate will never give up hope and will never give up on the other Survivors.

This is assuming, of course, that Kate is doing these things. And from her backstory I think we can assume that she is.

As for who I think the main character is? I don't know. Some of the Survivors and Killers seem more Lore important than others but none really stick out as main characters. So I guess I'll go with the Entity.

• Detective_Jonathan

Oh I’m sorry let me rephrase that “top contributor” so that basically means you came up with all the calculations. Hence, you created it in some way.

And the devs at first stated her as an it. But that’s none of my business, I didn’t waste my Time being a top contributor. @DocOctober

@GodDamn_Angela So you think The Entity is a protagonist villain. Interesting.

• End_of_Slayer

The Entity is basically the antagonist, yet also a protagonist in the story. The Entity is the main character to a point. Benedict and Vigo are the main survivors that we have so far, and the Entity is the main villain. It’s the protagonist of its story, so in theory, then Benedict and Vigo are antagonists.

• Detective_Jonathan

I say protagonist villain because I remember hearing from the Leatherface movie, the more recent one. Texas ranger Hartman is the good guy but he does terrible things to people. Hence the name “protagonist villain” where as Jedidiah or “Leatherface” is the “antagonist hero”

in the case of DBD where someone thinks the Entity is the main character, they would be considered the protagonist villain.

@End_of_Slayer

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

@Orion

I like how you assume that a lovecraftian nightmare that literally drains hope from people is a female. It's just funny. XD

I also find funny how this thread devolved into arguing the Entity's gender...

• End_of_Slayer

Got it, then yes, the Entity would be a protagonist villain, they are a protagonist yet also the villain of this story. If we truly want the main characters, we have 4, Entity, Benedict, Vigo, and Prisoner. Once the Archives come out, we will have a lot more info on all of these people.

• Im2Shrewd
    Im2Shrewd Member Posts: 77

It’s clearly Ash Williams and anyone who says otherwise is just wrong.

• End_of_Slayer

I mean, Ash isn’t the main character, seeing as how he was just added to the realm. Plus, Benedict, Vigo, and the Prisoner are the main characters along with the Entity. Was established a little while ago because these are the characters that are the most beneficial lore wise

• Chaddad2169
    Chaddad2169 Member Posts: 748

Don't mention that woman to me. I HATE Kate.

But I LOOOOOVE Quentin, Tapp and Bill

• Chaddad2169

You're also going to need power and teamwork, these two other ingredients are mostly used by Quentin, Tapp, Bill and Ash as they're all fighters, you learn in the lore that Quentin fought Freddy in his own dream world and summoned the entity, Tapp has a knack of never giving up, Bill puts the lives of others in front of his and Ash.... well... LoOk Who'S ShITTing IN the TaLl GRAsS

• yes
    yes Member Posts: 361
  • Detective_Jonathan

Bonus points for adding in Tapp, however, it's like the old saying goes "This is bigger than you could even imagine"

• DocOctober

Your reply is utterly despicable and disrespectful. I will not engage in any further discussion with you. Bye.

• Chaddad2169

I imagine Tapp would be confident in his ability to try and thwart the entity's plans but similar to the Jigsaw case he'll probably get too obsessed and his mental state will just break (similar to the endings of the SAW video game).

Bill would probably aid the team like he did his friends in Left 4 Dead and probably end up sacrificing himself for the survivors

Quentin will probably try and find flaws in the entity's world (similar to how he did in Freddy's dream world) and use those flaws to his advantage.

Ash would probably just groovy in style and kick ass like he does in the Ash vs Evil Dead TV show.

Dwight would lead the team and help them through the process of trying to escape

I assume both Meg and David would work on distraction seeing as their lore states them as the two athletic ones (Jake too probably?)

Claudette (like Bill) will assist the team and put her feet in their shoes

Nea would obviously be the sneaky one, same with Jane (poised and head on are pretty stealth oriented perks) and Jeff would help these two as well (distortion and aftercare) and Feng (technician) as well as her understanding of survival (video games do that to ya)

Ace and Kate will keep the team's spirits high.

That just leaves Adam and Laurie who I think will work together well, Laurie knows her schoolwork and Adam's a teacher.

I started this off only actually writing about Ash, Bill, Quentin and Tapp but drifted off into doing every survivor 😂

• Detective_Jonathan

I wholeheartedly agree with every single one that you stated. I guess the devs want us to create our own main character, but it would be nice if they gave us some kind of hint as to who could be able to stop this elderitch abomination

also @DocOctober You gave your two cents. And I gave mine, if you wanna see despicable and disrespectful, I would have been banned. What I said to you, was literally a slap on the wrist.

@brokedownpalace Very ironic indeed

• Chaddad2169

Thanks for agreeing with my statements.

I also forgot to add that Laurie is a survivor and Adam shows grit and "Was raised by a strict man who taught him how to make the best out of a bad situation" (the quote from Deliverance). Also Adam's quotes are all about confidence and willpower, this quote is from Diversion "There's what is easy and then there's what is right. If you confuse the two, there's no telling what you become." 

And from Autodidact "There's no limit to what you can achieve, as long as you back it up with hard work." 

• ficks
    ficks Member Posts: 4

Well, Dwight is the "leader" and also give off clueless vibes (which most novel MCs radiate.) In order to explain things to the reader without making it extremely obvious. So Dwight? Imo of course, and also because I feel like the dude is a very nervous guy. yet he's also suppose to be "the leader", wouldn't that take a transformation? So to see a character transformation, if dbd had a novelization, from nervous dude to leader would be awesome.

• QuickStiQz
    QuickStiQz Member Posts: 194

Dweet main survivor and trapper main killer.

• Impala
    Impala Member Posts: 145

Benedict Baker as we follow the story from his perspective.

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428

You could look at this from multiple perspectives and angles.

Lore wise, as @Impala says, we follow from Benedict Baker's view.

Survivors side, gotta agree with a lot of what's already been said and say Dwight, he's the coward who would ultimately steep up to the plate and be a "leader".

Killers side, its gonna have to be Trapper, though he may not have very deep lore to him, he's poster boy for a reason.