The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Lore-wise where do the survivors get their cosmetics from?

grayon444
grayon444 Member Posts: 757

Since we can't fully see the place at the store (where you decide what to buy for a character) is there some kind of abandoned clothes store near the campfire which can be looted from?

Comments

• Ember_Hunter
    Ember_Hunter Member Posts: 1,693

No, the cosmetics shows the Entity's power to drag in cosmetics of survivors did and will wear in their life, able to control time. :)

• BSNightflow
    BSNightflow Member Posts: 81
    edited July 2019

The cosmetics are fabricated with Auric Cells and given to the Survivors and Killers to reward their compliance. So, technically the clothes you wear are part of the Entity.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

So the trapper looked like Davy Jones and the Wraith looked like a lovecraft scarecrow at one point before coming to the realm? That's hilarious. XD

(At least Legion's make sense when you view it that way.)

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862

i think the just kind of find em in like trials , chests or on the floor lol

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599

Pretty sure they're blueprinted from memories and dreams, and bastardized reflections at that rather than perfect simulations.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

LOL, I know it's kinda silly in some contexts. I imagine maybe since the entity pulls from multiple dimensions and realities, figuring the entity transcends time in a sense from what we can tell, and maybe these are alternate history versions of these characters. That or we should look at them as completely different killers with similar abilities. That would be more specific to the killer with that last note. The survivors would make sense with alternate paths or timelines involving the same survivor before being brought back.

I mean we could assume the entity I designing outfits for them, but they could be sources from the survivors imagination instead of their direct history. Maybe the entity provides clothing the survivors think up. I don't think it would design clothing consciously, but produce it with it's world altering abilities in response to psychological stimuli that evokes the characters to feel their strong emotions to feed the entity.

• Raven014

That makes sense.

Killer costumes can be influenced by survivor fears/killer's warped imagination

It also makes sense why Meg's white hoodie has the Hope symbol on it. Survivors want a symbol of hope.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

Lockers.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    edited July 2019

It's interesting to see the imaginative explanations some of you came up with, but I have to be the party pooper in this one.

@BSNightflow is right. The cosmetics are fabricated from Auric Cells, which we know are the "building blocks" of the Entity's realm, everything we see, at its core, is made from them, so are the cosmetics.

That's the official Lore explanation.

• Volfawott
    Volfawott Member Posts: 3,893
    edited July 2019

As these guys have said it's pretty much or excels if you want to know where the basis of the designs came from then you can probably make the argument that it's from the memories of the survivors and The Killers. Also in The Killers case things that the survivors would proceed as threatening.

For example Feng's cosmetics are things she probably wore an occasion.

Amanda's new cosmetics are based off of things she's worn in the movies. Test subject being based on her main outfit in Saw 3 with sleeves resembling her saw 1outfit to cover up the blade. And leather piggy being what she wore when she was fighting with Eric Matthews.

However in comparison Scarecrow Wraith, Asylum doctor and the new underwater Trapper that's going to come are things that the survivors would typically just found threatening

Post edited by Volfawott on
  • TheShape78
    TheShape78 Member Posts: 712

The way I always thought of it was they are wearing the clothes they had on when they were taken into the entity's world.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

Lmao but meg is a runner, nea is the looper so shouldnt nea get it XD

• Raven014
    edited July 2019

In the original sense of the game, Meg was the original looper (Nea came with Nurse after all). She could get an initial burst of speed, and then make it to the loop...

Besides, she was always a runner in the lore anyway! : D

• Detective_Jonathan
    Detective_Jonathan Member Posts: 1,165
    edited July 2019

I used to go by saying that there would be SuitCases and Sacks in the realm where they would get their clothing. One thing to support this statement would be the 80's Suitcase and the BloodStained Sack DLC, which for those who were active in the games early days would know what i am talking about.

During this time any clothes found the survivors were probably found during the trial, much like how items are found. But as the power of The Entity grew, she then created another sub-realm for them to go into and find what they were looking for. Of course giving her some kind of payment. What we look at in the store is not what the survivors and killers see, what they see is most likely Suitcases and Sacks stacked high on end for them to look through and wear.

At least, that is how i think it all comes together.

• Astinate
    Astinate Member Posts: 10

The hallowed blight cosmetics are based on mutations the killers go through due to being injected with putrid serum.

• Raven014

I was referring to the more recent cosmetics (Nautical trapper and scarecrow wraith). I'm fully aware of the lore of the hollowed blight cosmetics.

• fluffymareep
    fluffymareep Member Posts: 634

The entity's a fashionista.

• ASAPTurtle
    ASAPTurtle Member Posts: 968

I think the clothes that are in the shop are from memories that they had, before being put into The Entity's realm, that aren't included in their lore.

So maybe, that Dwight with the pizza box on his back that TBagged you across the pallet is wearing a outfit that he wore before he got sucked in the entity.

• Science_Guy
    Science_Guy Member Posts: 1,998

There was a time when memory and cases made sense for most of the cosmetics, but some of them seem very unfitting (why does Claudette have so many party outfits?).

• LancerCain
    LancerCain Member Posts: 72

They are done by the entity, like everything there from it's own understanding of the world.

Now I don't see them fitting the lore, I think those are just in game mechanics. At most I see survivors getting cosmetics to kinda raise their morale. You know, playing dress up just to cope with the fact they are there.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

Mann Co Crates

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

Meanwhile when the Doctor goes there he can only get and only sees ugly sticks piled on for miles in every direction

This poor man

• grayon444
    grayon444 Member Posts: 757

The entity can create multiple copies of survivors.Every outfit is for a different Claudette from another universe.The original version of her is nerdy and shy and the other ones (based on her bright and colourfull outfits) seems to me that she maybe likes attention and is probably pretty outgoing and an open person.That is how i see it.

• Kateisthejam
    Kateisthejam Member Posts: 21

Im probably way off but I just always thought that those were the clothes they got taken from the entity in, even if it contradicts their lore like maybe Alpine Frost Kate she was mountain climbing and she got taken.