The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How to counter Nurse & Spirit

Fictionalname
Fictionalname Member Posts: 121
edited July 2019 in General Discussions

How to counter Nurse & Spirit - for dummies

Nurse

There's a variety of ways to break even the sweatiest of nurses (like I am), one very obvious one is:

-Break line of sight, now depending on maps as with all killers, you'll either have a easy way with this or you have to get creative. Doubling back helps against the unexperienced nurses, faking a direction behind a corner usually tricks experienced nurses, double faking direction and sneak away tricks the sweaty nurses which usually can be done IF you're not injured or if you run Iron Will.

-Maps, some maps are better or worse, her blinks is not only a strength but also a great weakness to exploit. For example, if you face a Nurse on The Game and you think "Rip its gonna be 4k" you're not that good of a survivor. The Game has TONS of corners for one, secondly if you're getting chased upstairs do the old walk towards her blink trick, difference why this works better on The Game than other maps is that usually nurses would simply look down to not blink far away, but when the nurse does it on The Game she will go downstairs and will have to try and guess where you went. The Temple map is another example of this, which is super frustrating atleast for me, to play on as a nurse. The Temple itself has lots of corners and annoying elevations. So in short, a map with elevations & corners and the nurse will be at a disadvantage if you know how to juke. NEVER run in a straight line against the nurse, this should be very obvious but despite that I keep meeting rank 1 survivors who do this.

-Stealth, being stealthy doesn't work by itself, you have to combine it with your jukes and faking directions. Being unpredictable is key here which mostly comes with game experience as you will get used to general directions of where survivors run when you've played Killer for a long time. So simply put, git gud already.

-Mindgame, as with all killers, being good at doing mindgames will further the chase time. With nurse you cant mindgame pallets but however windows is still doable. I don't got much to add here that's already been said above regarding jukes and LOS. Just avoid regular run around the pallet type of mindgames and youll be fine.

-Obstacles, there's a lot of obstacles that nurses even experienced ones will have a hard time to blink through, some tires that are stockpiled, concrete blocks etc. You can even use some of these as a infinite loop if the nurse is stubborn & frustrated.

Once you get a hang of all these, you'll realise the many shortcomings that a nurse and and you'll finally git gud as a survivor.

Post edited by Fictionalname on

Comments

• Fictionalname
    edited July 2019

The Spirit

-Doubling back It shouldn't come as a surprise nowadays when spirit has been out for this long but yet I dont see enough people doing it at red ranks when I play her. When The Spirit phase walks, double back without sprinting, and remember to stay clear of obvious walking direction where she will bump into you and realise that's where you are. Whenever a survivor attempts to loop me, 8/10 times they do the old "run around this stone/pallet etc" instead, walk away from it to the next area.

-Prayer Beads So, how does one counter prayer beads? "YOU CANT ITS OP!!". Well you can, but it's mostly with game experience as with a lot of things with similar types of games.

For example, the spirit you face uses prayer beads and bbq, and you're on a gen. How about letting go of that gen for 5 seconds to see if shes trying to grab you? Is the spirit somewhere else? Good continue to do the gen, did she come to you? Well you just saved yourself from getting grabbed.

Is the spirit chasing you and stops moving to phase? Well, walk to the next loop area, either she will miss you or she tried to mindgame and now you've already earned distance on her. It's quite easy unless you panic and try to loop her in an obvious direction as she phase.

There's really not that much tactics to a Spirit other than that, if you can't loop a spirit for more than 10 seconds I got some bad news for you..

Post edited by Fictionalname on
  • paint1210
    paint1210 Member Posts: 95

Just play p3 Claudette

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

In general I adivse that you simply play those 2 characters yourself. You will soon realise the counters by yourself. You will see other survivors who have already adopted to those killers, unlike you, and use it against you.

• SweetPumpkin
    SweetPumpkin Member Posts: 2

Pallet loop the nurse? 🧐🤔

• CoffengMin
    CoffengMin Member Posts: 862

i use quick and quiet it really is that simple a lot of the time

• Nea_Death_Experience
    Nea_Death_Experience Member Posts: 316

@Fictionalname while your tricks work on some I doubt they work on all nurses and while I am sure the long awaited spirit talk is going to be amazing, not all spirits will fall for these tricks. Make a youtube video and show these tips if they are worth it

• PickCollins
    PickCollins Member Posts: 495

This. In all honesty without gutting her or reworking her there will always be complaints that she's OP. She's just that killer that everyone fills in with "man I hate..." When there isn't anything to ######### about

• vh_
    vh_ Member Posts: 34
  • Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081

Always run Iron Will (best perk against both nurse and Spirit) and move in unpredictable ways when the spirit is using her power. If you take predictable paths, the chances of running into the spirit while she is using her power is much higher. A spirit who feels that collision can quickly react for a hit.

A good spirit can't be mindgamed at loops where both the killer and survivor see each other, so hope you don't get a map like blood lodge.

• Omans

Sorry, but all the points you said are things good survivors already know.

If a nurse chooses to continue a chase in the VERY few parts of maps that aren't easy for her to traverse, that's her own problem. It's like if a killer spends minutes chasing someone with balanced landing in the lampkin lane houses and wondering why they lost the match. Taking a chase like that is foolish. Most parts of all maps are super advantageous to nurse, yet every nurse I meet will never break off a chase. Nurse's greatest strength is her map control.

If a nurse is having troubles in an area of the map, that nurse should be going to literally any other area of the map where the chase is undeniably in the nurse's favor.

But good nurse tips I guess - hope for one of like 2 or 3 maps in the whole map pool that aren't extraordinarily in favor of Nurse, and hope the Nurse is stubborn and doesn't use her greatest strength (map presence).

As for the tips on chases - again, nothing new for experienced survivors who already do these things but die anyways because a good "sweaty" nurse has too many options available to her.

Once you get the hang of nurse you'll realize the shortcomings many nurse mains have, and you'll realize that just because you are a red rank nurse main doesn't mean you deserve to be a red rank killer.

Not to say these tips are "wrong," that is how you should be playing against nurse, but when the nurse is smart and good, what you do as a Survivor has little meaning.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

Thank you for taking the time and sharing this.

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited July 2019

Countering Nurse and Spirit is all about juking. Spirit is actually harder to counter than Nurse, because you need to mix it up a bit more and mind game better. Nurse has some lethal problems against juking because of her stun after blink.

Point is, you can't fight these two using looping tactics, they specifically counter looping and are strong in chase.

So the way to beat them is to juke them then disengage.

As someone mentioned Quick and Quiet is great against them. Iron Will is also amazing.

And as always your mileage will vary depending on your skill, the opponent's, how well you outplay each other, and luck.

In the end unless you're vastly superior to the killer in skill they will catch you sooner rather than later. That is how the game works.

• Knayter
    Knayter Member Posts: 117
    edited July 2019

but for god nurse and spirit ...there is no counter

• ABannedCat

Thats because their skill vastly surpasses your skill. A skillful person should be rewarded for their skill.

• Knayter
    Knayter Member Posts: 117

that's true, but I've seen people who is extremely good like pupper, no0b3, monto,... they all think that a god nurse is like no counterplay

• ABannedCat

You are not supposed to 1v1 the killer. Its a 4v1. One good person should not garuntee the win for the other 3. You need a good team to beat good killers

• DBDbuildsYT
    DBDbuildsYT Member Posts: 1,042

Or you can start complaining about spirit until she will be nerfed like nurse will.

Then you can loop every member of the cast.

It is a valid counter, it worked for legion and nurse, I'm sure it will work for spirit too.

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141

Just hide! Just break line of sight! Walking meme.

• Omans

....What? Do you truly believe that a nurse getting 4k's left and right is simply better than every survivor in every game she plays? A nurse is truly over-rewarded for skillful play.

Your second sentence is absolutely correct. The more skillful player, or the player who played better in the match should win. But your first sentence is hogwash. A nurse who 4k's does so for many reasons - one may be that the nurse is much better than survivors, but the much more common reason at top ranks is that the nurse simply has too many tools to negate whatever skill the survivors have. A game against a nurse is not a game of which side is more skillful. Sorry.

• Vampy
    Vampy Member Posts: 67

Best way to counter nurse is to complain on the forums until the survivor main potato BHVR employees in charge of the game nerf her.

• DBDbuildsYT

hahah I said the same, now they have the sacred formula for nerfs!

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Your point being? The game is still an asymmetrical 4v1.

• DBDbuildsYT

And that's why a killer should be able to end a chase fast because its 1/4 vs 1 really.

Versing a killer, around your same level of skill, in 1v1 in a team game simply shows you how unbalanced dbd actually is.

You are not a hero in this game, you are a cog and your only way out should be via team work.

But don't worry bhvr will hold your hand because survivors are the main market target

• vh_
    vh_ Member Posts: 34
    edited July 2019

Actually I think this is pretty sad to be happening :/

• MegsAreEvil
    MegsAreEvil Member Posts: 819

And nothing will work against a if the nurse has the same skills as yourself. Why do people still try to defend something like nurse being imbalanced in all ways? Do you even play the game?

• Fictionalname

Do you even play the game or do you sit and type in the forum all days?

If you're at equal skills it's a 50/50 chance of juking or not juking the nurse.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

I feel like Nurse is heavily a skill to skill game. Technically, the Nurse is stronger, but it ain't easy. To be honest, I prefer facing Nurse over noskillBilly.

For Spirit, I feel like the only full counter you can use is an entire perk load out, otherwise you're really at a disadvantage if there isn't a lot of visual obstructions to juke off of.

• Omans

That second sentence..yikes..there goes all your credibility as a "red rank" player. If it was truly a 50/50 split, she would be MUCH weaker than she is now.

At equal skill (both true red rank players) there are WAY too many situations where getting hit is all but guaranteed if the nurse doesn't make a mistake.

I'm starting to believe that maybe there aren't any good nurses in the North American region, the way some of you "red rank" players talk about her.

• prettyf
    prettyf Member Posts: 442

this works only against potato nurse and spirit

• prettyf
    prettyf Member Posts: 442

na players all like this?

how bad common they are even make people thinking nurse countrable

even in red ranked playing those characters countrable??

hm.. now i can sure i can counterable na nurspirits

but i never thought about sushi kimchi nurses countrable

somehow i wonder if all na players like this

how posts nurse is mega op or something came out..

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,447
    edited July 2019

Urban Evasion & Premonition on Claudette.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188

This is a good post. Hopefully it'll dissuade the survivor mains from trying to nerf these two like they've been trying to recently...

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    ColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616

I just rush as many points as I can and move on to the next match

• SoylentPixie
    SoylentPixie Member Posts: 1,192

I will honestly be sad if they cave into the ridiculous demands for a nerf on nurse.

I love facing her, I love the "Oh sh*t" split second thought when you hear her traversing the map and wonder if she's coming to you.

I love those breathless moments when you only 'just' get out of her line of sight as she teleports in and the subsequent sneaking as she searches the area.

I get that people find her frustrating, but at the same time I know full well she 'IS' counter-able from bottom to top ranks, and I'm really getting tired of both sides falling into "Too hard...nerf it!" culture.

And even more disappointed in the devs for indulging it far too often.

Some things are broken and need to be fixed. Nurse is not one of them.

• ColgateAdvancedWhite
    ColgateAdvancedWhite Member Posts: 616

Nurse is how killers should be balanced. This game is called dead by daylight, not escape by daylight.. survivors should only be alive because the killers chose to let them live.

• noneofyourbusiness
    noneofyourbusiness Member Posts: 532

You can't counter Spirit/Nurse, they always can counter your counter, that's the point of top tier killers, they don't need your mistakes to kill you, so if you don't like it, play something else.

• TKTK
    TKTK Member Posts: 943
    edited July 2019

i think they need to work on balancing maps at a better pace, changing maps every mid chapter is too slow a pace imo i'd like it so killers at red ranks don't have to use the best killers to counter how badly designed some maps are and relying on exploiting survivor mistakes.

When they are at dumb tiles that connect to each other for example cow loop into jungle gyms is so unnecessary.

Maps like bloodlodge, storehouse, ironworks of misery, Mt Ormond, Thompson house Haddonfield ect., some maps need tile rng changes or just shrinking so that every killer can pressure gens effectively and dont run into jungle gyms right next to each other.

• Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

Take a page out of this guy's book, people. Be somewhat nice about this.