Thoughts and opinions on dead by daylight being free?

Options

So let's just point out the obvious stuff, dead by daylight base game costs roughly $20, $30 for the deluxe edition and there's only one edition on console which is roughly $30 as well and over the years, they have been getting a lot of money alone on that.

With the amount of DLCs they have, people don't have the time in their life to grind for iridescent shards since they're not easily obtained, as saying that they're easy to get just by playing the game and leveling up, it's the grinding aspect of it that's just not easy, and with nothing to boost how much shards you get per level, it's just very tedious and with other DLCs, you either buy them with auric cells or buy the DLC itself (which buying the auric cells to then get the character is a bit more cheaper than just actually buying the DLC itself in some cases)

And of course the cosmetics, with most of them being repetitive Style, just with different colors, which are usually the ones that cost iridescent shards and the more unique ones costing auric cells, which more people go for and that gives Behavior the money, you've seen it, we've all has seen it, every lobby we join into, someone has a cosmetic that cost auric cells.

And now with their new system coming up, The Archives and the Battle Pass (which to me and I think to most people, they both kind of look and sound the same from the concept we've got so far) they're going to earn even more money with that if they have a premium set for it

So with all that in mind, they're getting money from the DLCs, the license DLCs, the cosmetics, upcoming archives and battle pass, should dead by daylight definitely go free? And since there's only one edition on Console, should the price be reduce below $10? make it go free? Or put up another Edition which will be the base game which is free one?

Comments

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850
    Options

No its doing well enough to not go free to play Deathgarden on the other hand would have to go free to play and come to consoles in order to stay alive

• prettyf
    prettyf Member Posts: 442
    Options

no, this game is already cheap and open for everyone

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,084
    edited July 2019
    Options

I think that honestly this has the makings of a free game. It has plenty of things that you would WANT to pay for. It's riddled with bugs, and the base game itself isn't that much. There are many other games in which the base game is free with optional purchases that aren't as buggy, or badly done. On top of that with all the paid content coming out for the game itself, it feels like it's only a matter of time before it does go F2P. It'd also bring more players in that way, which would never be a bad thing. More F2P players would be coming in, and the ones who found they enjoyed the game would eventually pay much more than the original price of the game due to all the DLCs. It'd be the intelligent move imo. People may be upset if they paid for it and then it became free to play, but it'd be the smart thing to do.

I personally wouldn't mind. More players is always a good thing.

• TurboTestosterone
    TurboTestosterone Member Posts: 56
    Options

Id say lower the price to like $10. You have to buy everything anyway and there's only 1 mode and 2 roles. There really isnt a lot to this game face value. I got this game when it was free on psn and ive spent maybe $10-$15 for some killers i wanted when they went on sale on the psn store.

• StarOFF
    StarOFF Member Posts: 21
    Options

#1 - It’s coming out for free on mobile, which will definitely increase people playing.

#2 - People won’t pay for exclusive stuff if they’re forced to buy a character they like.

#3 - Even if it does go free, it’s won’t really make an impact on people playing on console/pc because it’s not as popular as you would think.

That’s what my diehard sister fan of DBD says...

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919
    Options

I'd say no to free-2-play Dead by Daylight. Why? Because its a small safe-guard against hackers and cheaters in general. Its like how every Free Weekend, there's a massive increase in people who use cheats to make the game miserable for everyone.

• Vampy
    Vampy Member Posts: 67
    Options

the grind is so insane it should be a F2P game honestly with the DLC content costing money, but the base game should be free

• BigBubs
    BigBubs Member Posts: 1,131
    edited July 2019
    Options

It goes on 50% sale on steam pretty often.

There's also other websites where you can get it way cheaper. For example on cdkeys it costs around 6$ now.

So no , I don't think it should go free to play and no it doesn't really cost 20$.

• Onionthing
    Onionthing Member Posts: 469
    Options

Its niether popular enough,

nor is it doing so badly money wise to warrant going F2P.

Its right in the middle to warrant a rather cheap buying price. Its not even a full price game ($60) ... I think its good.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

We would see a sharp increase of disconnects, and bad players.

The occasional free weekend sounds fine, to get those people who like the game enough to play seriously (and pay for it; hey, it's cheap!).

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky Member Posts: 571
    Options

How does it not cost $20? And im talking about DBD going free because of the amount of in-game purchases are in it, especially with battlepass coming to it. 19.99 is not 19.99, especially with tax.

There are other games that have lots of players come in and they gonna be pretty bad players and they have to learn over time and some will disconnects, that is no difference with DBD, now of course with how bs this game is, yes and increase of DCs, but bad players with new players coming in is just gonna be normal

Also not everyone has a budget to buy a lot of things and then buy video games that cost $20 and over, don't forget tax, it makes it worse. And of course to people with low family budget.

• George_Soros
    Options

Come on, we don't want poor people playing this game. They're nasty! If someone can't afford $20 (plus taxes, yeah I know) for a huge amount of fun, maybe they should get a job instead of playing video games.

The playerbase needs quality, not quantity.

• MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky
    MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky Member Posts: 571
    Options

So I already know your that type of person. k

If poor people aren't allowed to have fun or have a video game because of money issues, then I guess homeless people should just not be feed or have a home because they are nasty/poor? Because that is what you are saying.

Also there is no saying of "PlayerBase needs quality" What the hell? How does a PlayerBase need quality? What is this? North Korea?

Game needs Quality

PlayerBase only needs quantity in general, so I don't know where that logic came from.

• George_Soros
    Options

@MrsPiggyIsSoSneaky yes, it would be a lot of fun to have 4 out of 5 games with someone disconnecting. Because that would happen if it were made free. Besides, BHVR put work in the game, a lot actually, so... they should get paid.

Btw don't fall so easily for trolling. Obviously what I said about poor people was a joke.

Haha. No it wasn't.

Oh, and you're not seriously comparing playing video games to eating, do you? Come on. Of course homeless people should be fed. If they work for it. Video games on the other hand are hardly something you can't live without.

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615
    Options

DbD is fine as it is right now.

Maybe if we ever have playerbase issues.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

No.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    Options

Considering how slow devs are to fix bugs and exploits cheaters would have field day if game went free.

• George_Soros
    Options

It seems the sentiment is unanimous.

Hey devs, mods, Mathieu, listen to the voice of the people!

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

Free to play as long as newbies are faced with fun and exciting paywalls to enhance their gaming experience.

I kinda want the Devs to put the money they make into the right areas for the game and sometimes I think they just wanna pump out cosmetic after cosmetic because people buy them when certain things have been wanted and needed for years.

• deadbyhitbox
    deadbyhitbox Member Posts: 1,117
    Options

For the love of god don't make this game free

• AshleyWB
    AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
    Options

Free on consoles where it's way less accessible for cheating software to run.

1 thing about dbd which would appeal to everyone on console is that it would be free unlike the vast majority of other games.

Make it free for a limited period perhaps near Halloween on consoles and I guarantee a lot will try it for spooks and as a new player they will get plenty and this will be their radar.

Console hardly ever gets decent sales especially so with games like dbd so I know there's tons of people literally waiting for the price to drop before wanting to give dbd a go.

With dedicated servers coming out soon cheating will be easier to track and for 99.9% of people who don't cheat restricting the game to those because of a few would be a missed opportunity for dbd.

Release it for free alongside a dlc chapter and it'll be even more exciting for new players who could actually spend money to buy the dlc the cosmetics and tell their friends to play too.

I don't see any real downside of going free to play either temporarily or permanently.

Cheating will be clear and bannable. New players, game sales will be down but the best thing about it is that any negative effect it'll have can be reversed by reverting a change.

Free to play edition with just the 4 main survivors and the trapper, wraith and hillbilly the rest all unlockable through purchase or shards.

I get people don't want something they've paid for suddenly be free. I say sweeten the deal and give a loyalty reward to players who have been around a while.

Also put new players in matches which have fair or even easy people as killer or survivors and don't scare them away.

• venom12784
    venom12784 Member Posts: 666
    Options

I got this game for free on PS4 about a year as part of ps plus. I have purchased all thedkc except 1 or 2. Once it came on sale on steam I bought it there with all the dlc

• BOSS242
    BOSS242 Member Posts: 171
    Options

Yes it should be free. It would be sooo much easier to get people started and turned on to this game. Imo once it went free this game would grow like crazy!! And thats always a good thing!

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,613
    Options

I wouldn't mind.

• CronaWins
    CronaWins Member Posts: 650
    Options

When the Battlepass arrives, the base game should be free.

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,347
    Options

I'd expect some sort of compensation, although I don't like exclusives I would think they'd be needed for something like this.

• thisrandomguy
    thisrandomguy Member Posts: 142
    edited July 2019
    Options

Yeah I see no problem at all with DBD being free to play. With players that already bought the game we can just give them 20 or 30 dollars worth of auric cells to get that out of the way. Dead by daylight being free would expand the playerbase by huge amounts and I think dead by daylight would have a big enough playerbase with the game being free to support it and not miserably fail. With dead by daylight getting more and more content as time goes by it makes grinding more time consuming and tedious and not to mention very expensive if someone is willing to buy all the licensed dlc which is over 30$ which is already over the base game's price.

Overall dbd going f2p wouldn't be a problem in my mind and i think it would survive.

The only problems I would have would be the increasingly amount of cheats and cheaters coming into the game. Also not to mention servers probably having problems with huge amounts of players coming into the game. This exact incident happened to ps4 when it came out for free on psplus a few months back. It was so bad that ps4 dead by daylight was unplayable for a few days

• WickedMilk03
    WickedMilk03 Member Posts: 624
    Options

I think this would be good. Alot more people would play it or try it out if it were free but before that they need better tutorials and better graphics would help.

• George_Soros
    Options

A lot more BAD people would try it out, BAD people you see?

• Kerbert
    Kerbert Member Posts: 415
    Options

I 100% agree. The amount of money I've put into this game is insane. With a new chapter release every 3 months which costs $8? Might not seem that bad to people that have been with the game since the beginning, but for a newcomer to see like 14 $8 DLC's? It's insanity. Plus with how overpriced cosmetics are and how difficult the grind is for shards makes it worse. BHVR has made a lot of money from this game, I think they can afford it. It would bring in more people, and sure maybe they lose the $20 per person, but with the amount of people it would bring in who would by DLC and cosmetics I think would more than make up for a loss of $20 per person. And just give $20 worth of auric cells to existing players.

• WickedMilk03
    WickedMilk03 Member Posts: 624
    Options

as long as they decide to actually balance the game as if it were an asymmetrical 1v5 game then we should be fine. But i guess people could easily make new accounts so yeah maybe this is a no

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Pc players would find more cheaters and every platform would get more people dcing because they got the game for free and don’t care if they get banned since it was free.

• Visionmaker
    Visionmaker Member Posts: 2,051
    Options

Yes if it helps the game expand.

No if it makes everything else more expensive with a higher focus on microtransactions.

• OpenYoureyes
    OpenYoureyes Member Posts: 111
    Options

It would be the only way to get players back (at least for a while) but is never gonna happen, like many other common-sense stuff.

Entity rules in this realm mate, leave hope outside.

• BembridgeScholars
    BembridgeScholars Member Posts: 68
    Options

It's not really deserving of the 30 dollar price tag more like 20 at best. Too many problems with this game. And they don't even have dedicated servers. Friday the 13 even has it

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,255
    Options

The game needs more marketing outside of Twitch tbh.

I agree there is a risk of more frequent DC'ers and people just 'trying' out the game with little investment in it influencing them if the game goes free.

I'd be fine if DBD had a permanent price drop to $14.99 USD instead of $19.99. It would be a modest amount taken off the base game but it could still go on sale down to $9.99 like it usually does. It would also be just below 20 for those who buy steam pre-paid cards and it might encourage them to pick up DLC along with the base game.

Sounds like a silly reason to be all for a price drop but what ever gets people to get into DBD works for me as long as they enjoy the game.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    Options

I don't think it's needed right now.