Selfcare: is it worth it?

Options
dbd_noob
dbd_noob Member Posts: 225

I get that there is some form of no heal/sc meta right now, but I am not sure about that.

What do you think?

Comments

• Kiskashi
    Kiskashi Member Posts: 1,043
    edited July 2019
    Options

I used to use it all the time when I was more new to the game, now however I just get medkits with charge addons and use botany knowledge. If I don’t have a medkit I get teammates to heal me, options also exist for this like bond which is a good option in general for working with the team.

Self care just takes way too long, it’s half the reason I run we’ll make it so I can heal teammates and get them back up and ready to go fast. Saves them from self caring in the corner for the next minute and resumes the same gen pressure but without the risk of being downed instantly from the no heal meta.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    Options

It's too slow on its own and being able to heal yourself quickly enough (self care+botany knowledge) isn't worth 2 perk slots in my opinion.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Try iron will instead.

• Groxiverde
    Groxiverde Member Posts: 767
    Options

I use selfcare because I like to be chased and I want the chases to be longer. If you want a quicker game, short chases and genrush while injured then you should be better without selfcare.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,018
    Options

Id try swapping it out with something else thatll help you get healed, whether that be something like Bond to help you find a teammate to heal you or maybe pharmacy. If you start using Pharmacy, you can start building up a stock of medkits to take into trials with you.

• Kralle
    Kralle Member Posts: 121
    Options

Try Iron Will instead of Self Care. Thats what I did and this is so much better.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270
    Options

Yeah Glint is right. Pharmacy is way superior, especially if you're a hoarding type. I am :)

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835
    Options

I use SC because I'm bad. If I was good I would be using Adrenaline instead.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,500
    Options

@George_Soros @LordGlint Yeah I run Pharmacy when my medkit stock is starting to run low, I like the guaranteed medkit instead of randomly having to go through the chests finding brown toolboxes.

• Kebek
    Kebek Member Posts: 3,676
    edited July 2019
    Options

Yes SC is still very much meta perk but if you don't want to take it you can replace it with yellow med-kit with more charges which is better then taking SC. But when we talk about not taking any items then SC is still one if not the best pek in the game.

People claim that it's bad since it takes longer to heal with it but don't listen to them, they are the kind of players who always take good medkit and then claim how then don't rely on SC but in reality they have no idea how much harder the game gets if you can't heal whenever and you don't have SWF buddies with coms to compensate for it.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742
    Options

Nope

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,457
    Options

Self-care only worth with Botany Knowledge to decrease healing time overall.

Self-care by itself no.

• Guertena
    Guertena Member Posts: 392
    Options

only if you are a evasive player, otherwise you can just take a medkit cuz is more effective and faster

• nerfeverything
    nerfeverything Member Posts: 52
    Options

I run it because I play distraction. I bring a flashlight so I don't really use medkits and I don't want my team wasting time healing me either. That said, I also run adrenaline, balanced landing and spine chill so I guess bad killers would call me toxic. If you don't want to be toxic, don't run sc or any other perk. If you want to play a game where you take tons of hits, SC is fine for that.

• Bludge23
    Bludge23 Member Posts: 234
    Options

The only problem I have with pharmacy is finding chests.

• Killmaster
    Killmaster Member Posts: 429
    edited July 2019
    Options

It's only worth taking if you have Botany Knowledge as-well, but then 2 perks to heal yourself when you can just take a medkit into the trial with you seems moot.

• branchini1979
    branchini1979 Member Posts: 295
    Options

Simple, if you worried about how team mates play and no medkits then probably Yes. But this is my only scenario.

If you have good medkits - No

If you are playing in a swf then - No

I personally use an aura reading perk in place and if I have them take a med kit

• PickCollins
    PickCollins Member Posts: 495
    Options

I play stealth when I play Survivior. If I am afraid I get spotted by the killer I usually just run and instaheal

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    Options

Oh hey I got a medical kit, this perk is already paying off

• darktrix
    darktrix Member Posts: 1,790
    edited July 2019
    Options

Depends - SC is still okay to me (but I use it with botany if I do use it - which is both amazing when you have a medkit as well). The important thing many SC users do not understand is there is a time to SC and a time not to SC. Sometimes you need to act now - and that may involve doing so injured, not later once you have healed yourself to full.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,038
    Options

I noticed I win more without it honestly. Though in beginning ranks I would still highly recommend using it since ppl camp and tunnel a lot.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,222
    Options

Even after the oh so atrocious healing adjustment , Its still better than getting healed by others.

Obviously it's more useful for people who juke a killer instead of stalling until hooked.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,288
    Options

Use it WITH Botany Knowledge and a medkit and it's pretty juicy. Those medkits last a LONG time for self healing (and healing others as well really)

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,095
    edited July 2019
    Options

Pharmacy>Self Care. It's quicker to find a chest, search it with Pharmacy, and heal with that medkit than it is to self care.

• dbd_noob
    Options

I am the kind of player that is running around trying to get the killers attention. Therefore I sometimes take hits as I know I can juke the killer and escape to heal somewhere, so I am afraid that I heavily depend on SC. Also I am maybe decent but not an evader God.

My current build is: Adre,SC,BL,BT

Pharmacy sounds good, but how often can I heal with that medkit? Also only the first chest guarantees it, right?

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,095
    Options

I tend to bring a medkit, then find one with Pharmacy. You can always hide the medkit in a safe spot for later so you don't have to worry about someone else looting the chest.

• drkiwie
    drkiwie Member Posts: 56
    edited July 2019
    Options

Used to run self care but tbh I find it just to be a boring perk, i'd rather run adrenaline and rely on my team :) or just be a little more careful when injured. I run the killer around a lot so adrenaline works as a great replacement for me.

On a side note....plz for the love of God fix dead hard xD it working only 20% of the time suuuuucks...been nearly 2 weeks.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275
    Options

Bond is a way better Self Care.

Also, Pharmacy.

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Options

@dbd_noob bring a medkit and run adrenaline.

If you have access to adrenaline, Iron will and Dead Hard it makes for an efficient build.

Full Disclaimer though Dead Hard is extremely unreliable/inconsistent right now

• fcc2014
    fcc2014 Member Posts: 4,388
    Options

@MandyTalk when you find those Ranger Medkits it is like Christmas!!!

• CaphnYT
    CaphnYT Member Posts: 41
    Options

I'm honestly starting to figure out that you dont really need this perk for your main builds or just in general. I've used self care preety much since launch and I just stopped using it a few weeks ago and I just rely on a med kit or teammates to heal me. Just make sure you know where teammates are at all times so you can get healed as soon as possible. Even put on a aura reading perks to see your teammates instead of self care, like Bond, Empathy, Aftercare and etc.

• Akuma
    Akuma Member Posts: 407
    Options

What MandyTalks said. It wastes too much time and there are other way more impactful perks than selfcare ^^

It was good but after the healing nerf it changed to a 5th killer perk

• DCis4pussies
    DCis4pussies Member Posts: 2
    Options

self care is noob noob. praise be to noob noob.

• Tawnieeee
    Tawnieeee Member Posts: 32
    Options

I play solo and run Self-care consistently.

Here's my reasoning: You can't always rely on randoms. Yes, you're supposed to be working as a team, but many players are out to win. I've encountered some petty teammates, so I choose to be able to heal myself if I need to.

Secondly, some teammates refuse to heal you because they want to get gens popped. I get it, really. If we worked in that gen and popped it and then you decide to heal me, it's too risky. Bitter Murmur exists and killers often go to gen pops to investigate if not in a chase. Me being injured puts me at a disadvantage because the killer will go for the injured one. Some players also just refuse to heal others in general because they focus on gens, chests, totems, etc.

If I find a med kit or survivor who will heal me (and we won't even get into survivors who miss skill checks and regress your healing progress then run away), great! I prefer that as opposed to having myself. I tend to play in a stealthy manner because chases aren't my strongest suit. This means I'm usually one of the last people alive. If the one other remaining teammate is being chased and about to be hooked, me being able to heal myself is imminent. Crying out, groaning, leaving blood trails....it's doing nothing but removing my ability to evade the killer when they have their sole attention on finding me. Not being able to heal up in that last stage is life or death. I'll always run Self-care because it's critical to my game play style.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

If you’re a good looper then yes just learn when to not use it.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,500
    Options

@fcc2014 that's my favourite thing to find 😉

• Fng36
    Fng36 Member Posts: 26
    Options

Yes only first Chest but ur not running all the time just to farm a bunch . Than go play more serious with set up and items u want personally I farm plounders ace add on perk if I need med kits pharmacy or ace luck perk and than bring luck amazing tons items each game u live in and if u solo que and they get massacred hatch out and don't feel bad .

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675
    Options

If you're playing solo, yes. Despite what people may say, it's still a perk that allows for infinite, self-sustaining heals.

• heavendog
    heavendog Member Posts: 35
    Options

I use self-care although I don't like being chased as I'm not the best, I'm much better at doing the objective.

• DRAGOON
    DRAGOON Member Posts: 126
    edited July 2019
    Options

Yea I don't like SC

• CornChip
    CornChip Member Posts: 540
    Options

No, It's a waste of time.

Use bond instead and find a teammate to heal you.

Use pharmacy to find a medkit from a chest.

Bring a medkit.

Bring Adrenaline and do gens.

These are all more viable options than self care.

Don't be that player that urbans to a corner of the map to self care wasting precious valuable time that could be spent on generators.

Don't use self care.

• Atrushan88
    Atrushan88 Member Posts: 2,084
    edited July 2019
    Options

I bring self care because survivors keep unhooking me and running away to a corner to try healing me. I'm not running to the corner with you while the killer is gonna end up finding me. BUT I bring Self Care WITH a Med kit WITH Botany Knowledge. Now I can heal others faster(especially with We'll Make it as well), and I can heal myself faster, and I can keep my medkit throughout most of the game. I think people forget the secondary use of Self-Care honestly. I mean I get that some people would rather get gens done for an Adrenaline pop, but my teams generally don't do gens and farm me off the hook, or leave me to get stage 2 and then wait until the killer is chasing them to unhook me, so I'd rather not be the first one hooked. Self-Care with a med-kit helps with that. My med-kits also generally have considerably increased healing speeds and extra charges added to them. That + the 53% healing efficiency still keeps my med-kit going strong and if I pallet stun a killer, and he leaves that pallet to try to mind game me with it, I can generally get my heal off and waste more of the killer's time.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,605
    edited July 2019
    Options

And suddenly, SC is a bad perk and nobody use it and use pharmacy instead, or you are becoming pros suddenly or you lie, I see a lot of SCs and almost nobody using pharrmacy.

I use SC because I like to heal myself and the medkits are spent quickly except if they are the good ones, and also i usually skip them in the bloodweb, specially the expensive ones, and what about Franklin's demise? Which is a pretty popular perk in killers, and ALSO the medkits prevent you from using other accesories such toolboxes or flashlights. Sorry but the handicap of healing myself more slowly worth it, considering the drawbacks of using a medkit.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Medkits are WAY faster and also effectively allow for an extra perk. So just bring those instead.

• Raven014
    Raven014 Member Posts: 4,188
    Options

Adrenaline's replaced it in every way.

Most survivors just go to teammates if they need a heal or bring a medkit.

It activates automatically regardless if they're exhausted (That shouldn't be allowed).

And self care takes forever. A good thing too, but still. I have it anyway just in case, but still...

• OpenYoureyes
    OpenYoureyes Member Posts: 111
    Options

Solo player -> Self Care

Too many trash teammates out there to rely on them.

• dbd_noob
    Options

Just to conclude this thread: I switched to not use SC and have not regretted it. Of course I am a one hit, but my decent looping skills are enough to not die instantly in a chase.

One thing that I noticed is, that I was often giving the killer a free hit, because I knew I could not be downed. Now I am more concentrated in Chases and I am getting better.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

Bring a medkit ffs. It's way faster.