How about this type of totem counter?

So i know that the devs have stated they don't really want a totem counter on the HUD for several reasons. And that they maybe would consider it on small game, but i have an excellent idea that would give solo players the swf information they need without being as OP has just having a totem counter on the HUD!

So what if each totem had as many scratches as there are uncleansed totems left in the game. And this also fits perfect with DBD's logo. Since there are 5 totems you can use the dbd logo minimized on each individual totem. So 5 totems will have 5 scratches on each totem, 4 will have 4 scratches and so on.

What this will do is give solo players that are cleansing totems the information of how many totems are left. And its not OP since a broken totem won't tell you how many there are left only the uncleansed. I feel this is actually such a great idea that i see absolutely no reason for not having it. This is one of the major disadvantages solo survivors have over swf. And if the goal is bridging the gap, then this is a big step! ;)

So is this something the team would consider implementing?

@Peanits @not_Queen

Comments

• Karltastisk
    Karltastisk Member Posts: 529

Bonus point!

I also believe if this was implemented NOED wouldn't be considered such a crutch perk since then there are literally no excuse to not being able to cleanse all totems as solo survivor if you dedicate yourself to it.

• Kateisthejam
    Kateisthejam Member Posts: 21

Good Idea man! I can never remember how many totems i have clensed and with this I would actually clense them all.

• venom12784
    venom12784 Member Posts: 666
    edited August 2019

So when a totem is cleansed it would show how many are left?

• Karltastisk

It would show on the other Totens How many are left. So if you cleanse a totem with 5 scratches on it. You now know there are 4 left on the map.

• Karltastisk

You will not always know, But it will hjelp greatly. Just having it on the HUD is way to strong. This way you will get the information you need if you work for it. Not just for free.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

I actually think this is a pretty unique and subtle idea. People who actually care about totem cleansing get useful information, and the people who die by NOED all the time still die. perfect!

• Karltastisk

That is exactly what i intended with this idea, a totem counter will completely just kill NOED since everyone will know there are X amount of totems left at 1 gen and just cleanse them before the last gen or camp it until it's lit.

That is why i like my idea so much because it does exactly what we want. And that is bridging the gap betwen solo and swf without breaking the game.

Heres 2 scenarios to explain why this is a good change.

Scenario 1:

You are playing swf and find a totem with one gen left. You ask your teammates how many totems they have done. You now know how many totems are left.

Scenario 2:

You are playing solo and find a totem with one gen left. You look at the skull and see X amount of scratches on it. You now know how many totems are left.

BAM! Bridge has been gaped ;P

• DaS_only
    DaS_only Member Posts: 656

Noooo, it's not to strong. Why the F are people saying it's to strong? Noone had a reasonable explanation, I always just see "it's to strong" but no valid points are shown.

Also swf has this information for free, what now? Want to take this information away from them? Good luck figuring something out lol

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

It's a really nice idea, bonus point for displaying informations in-game instead of using a HUD.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Scenario 3:

You don't see any totems and you have no idea if you should be looking for any. SWF can just ask their team if all 5 totems are cleansed, but Solo's cannot and thus don't know whether or not there is a totem.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Just have a unique sound effect play when a dull totem is cleansed that Survivors can hear. This is along with a location indicator.

The Killer can only hear this if they are running thrill of the hunt.

• Karl_Childers
    Karl_Childers Member Posts: 669

This is a great idea, for real. It lets you know if the rest of the survivors are bothering with them or not. For instance, 5 minutes into the game and you come up to a dull with 4 or 5 scratches, it’s pretty safe to say doing a totem is going to be a waste of time unless you do them all yourself. At that point you evaluate how the game is going and whether you have the time or not. Of course the opposite is also true, you see 2 scratches left and it makes you want to do it!

I would still say even with this implemented that Small Game have an actual counter. Anyone bringing the perk deserves to know if they are all done.

• Karltastisk

Okay since you can't imagine why it is to strong on your own here are 2 strong valid points.

1. Having a totem counter in the HUD will garante 100% cleansing rate against NOED if the team knows how to cleanse totems. They will make sure all totems are cleansed on the last gen or camp the last totem and break it right after it activates. It is basically the equivelent of you as the killer seeing the timer on someone having DS or the progress bar of the last gen that activates adrenaline it is simply to strong. Since you hard counter perks with no effort.
    2. It will also make the survivors more efficient with their cleansing and searching for totems and not wasting time searching for totems that may or may not be there. making games even shorter than they already are (And last i checked the community wants something to stall the game not make it faster.)
  • Awakey
    Awakey Member Posts: 3,145

This is a genuinely good idea. +1, OP.

• Karltastisk

Now this is feedback i like! And think this is also a great idea! (the sound notification)

• Avarice
    Avarice Member Posts: 65

I think this is a great idea. My only thought is that solos still won’t know when another player cleanses the last totem. I would maybe add an audio que or something that plays when the last totem is cleansed, so all the players know they’ve all been cleansed.

• Karltastisk

That is part of why i like my idea. You should never be 100% sure unless you are the one cleansing it. And will keep survivors from being too efficient with their totem cleansing. And if all totems are done NOED won't spawn so if you don't know if the last was cleansed it will ad to the suspense wich is something this game needs to hold onto for dear life ;P

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Totem counter should be baseline and in the HUD. Also I haven’t heard the devs say much about a totem counter other than they are considering it, but unsure wether to make it baseline or put it on small game. It was one of the questions they answered in the reddit AMA. I don’t think they specifically have said they don’t want to add it to the HUD.

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839

How can a totem counter in the hud be OP when the devs are a-okay with SWF voice chat which provides survivors with a totem counter and so much, much more? 🤔🤔🤔

• Karl_Childers
    edited August 2019

I do definitely disagree with OP here that a totem counter being base is OP, but I still would be good with their idea plus the counter being in Small Game as a sort of compromise.

What really gets me the most though is when you have killers who claim to never run NOED be against a totem counter. That just makes no sense at all. Either they are lying and run NOED, or just aren’t thinking it through and automatically saying no to any survivor buff. Any killer who doesn’t need NOED benefits big time from a totem counter. More survivors will waste time to prevent something they don’t have and give them additional time. Why would they be against it?! It’s so dumb.

• Okapi
    Okapi Member Posts: 839

No. No more compromises. It's time to close the SWF-solo gap for good. That's the only way you can balance the killers properly. If SWF get a free totem counter so should solos. It's not fair for solos if they need to use a perk to get a limited version of what SWF already have.

• Karl_Childers

Considering I’m just a solo player, I definitely can’t argue with that.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

add it to small game.

we dont need this information to be free. at least sacrifice a perk slot for it.

• Ashruu
    Ashruu Member Posts: 47

If you honestly think a base totem counter is OP, then SWF shouldn't be allowed. Ever. Buffs like these are what solo survivors need to coordinate better, which will improve the health of the game by finally allowing the low tier killers to just get flat buffs that won't break the game for solos.

Just add the counter.

• SenatorAcadia
    SenatorAcadia Member Posts: 72

I think some variation of this would be great, but it does sort of screw the killer.

What if the cleansing sound was unique (has to be as cool as the Hex break) and the killer can always see it.

Or (not and) they see the dull totems in yellow?

But no joke, OP this is a good idea.

• Karltastisk

Im not here to argue what swf has for free. If that was the case the devs need to bring VOIP ingame. Which is not gonna happen because it would turn the game into a verbal harrasement fest and break all immersion.

i simply want solo survivors to be ABLE to get the same information as a swf team would have, without breaking the game.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,312

Honestly just add a little sound when a dull is broken. Could use the "stack" sound you hear when you get a stack on a perk that has them, or make a new sound.

So you actually have to pay attention and remember how many "dings" you've heard.

• DaS_only

You have no clue how to balance this game. U shouldn't talk about balance if you don't want to balance the game overall and not only around solos or only swfs.

• mistar_z
    mistar_z Member Posts: 857

If everybody can have voice coms (OPTIONAL) we wouldnt need a totem counter. Its too easy for swf to wipe totems atm and make games with randoms really wonky because they cant keep track of all the totems to clear noed.

• JESUS_CHRIST
    JESUS_CHRIST Member Posts: 313

I'm for it being base just because I'm interested to see how many people still refuse to do totems. More people do them now with the emblem scoring but I still end up getting probably three on average on games that go the duration. The game needs more decent dull totem perks so there's more incentive for people to actually do them. As it is I can usually keep track of where I've cleansed and the spots where I've found broken bones other people have gotten, so it isnt that tough to guess the area where the last one is going to be. I'm for it being base but I really don't think it supplies the incentive needed still.

• gamerscrybecauseofme
    gamerscrybecauseofme Member Posts: 366

Wow. Let me get this straight. Survivor wants totem finding to be easier as they can't count, won't use small game, cry about noed or other hex perk, while in the process saying a big 4 q to survivors that run small game and killers that run hex perks including noed. If there is to be any change to totems, it must be done through small game, no lazy HUD for trash survivors that can only play crutch perks. You guys literally want the game on easy!

• DaS_only

Then the gap between solo and swf isn't closed. U are bad at balancing, please stop.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Id settle for a single audio cue after all five are gone. There's not really a heavy need for a counter, we just need confirmation that all 5 are broken.

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306

Then just don’t bring NOED and watch survivors waste time by not doing generators

• Karltastisk

This is as invalid as an arguments can get. Just completely ignoring what im trying to point out. NOED is a perk in the game that i would like to use from time to time, saying that i should just not run it. Is just as ######### of an answer as saying just dont get found when the gens are done or just cleanse all totems as a solo player. A totem counter on the HUD is to OP and anyone that can't see that are clearly biased or simply to inexperienced.

to sum up.

Bad answer.

Totem counter in HUD to OP

Solo players still need a way to get swf info. (see above my and others recomendations)

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291

Its a cool idea and still means you have to find them. Instead in instantly knowing like a hit counter make it so at least you have to do something first and it appears when you start cleansing.

• ArrowTheGreat11
    ArrowTheGreat11 Member Posts: 306

Totems are just as important as generators and the gens notify you once completed. Totems can be done the same way. There’s nothing too OP about being notified when a totem is broken. Maybe not a counter, but a noise notification would work too

• Karltastisk

That i agree with, because you still have to work for it. In the form of paying attention.

• gamerscrybecauseofme

There is supposed to be a gap between solo and swf 😂 A gap that can never be buffed around to suit solo.

There is a whole bunch of swf advantages, location of killer, injured survivors,nearly completed gens, nearly sabotaged hooks....the list is endless. How about, instead of increasing things to make solo more like swf, rebalance by nurfing swf.

• Madjura
    Madjura Member Posts: 2,450

You can't nerf SWF because then they just dodge lobbies, which also causes issues with the matchmaking, until they are all in the same lobby

Add voice chat to the game, balance around it, done. It's the only sensible solution

• DaS_only

Oh please I can't hear the "it's supposed to be like this or that" from people as if they think they are working at bhvr and developed the game.

Just don't talk about balance when u have no clue about that topic please.

• gamerscrybecauseofme

This is fun.

The OP is talking about making totems easier to clear, not balancing a game around swf v solo.

The Devs have said many times, the game was always intended to be played as swf v killer.

I am responding to the OP, I don't care one hoot about other people thoughts on some other entitled survivor nonsense.

• gamerscrybecauseofme

I am not sure what you had in mind for nerfing swf, but it seems a little extreme

• DaS_only

I have no clue what you are talking about, I think at this point you are not only confusing me but also confusing yourself. Take a break.