The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Survivors do need more lifetime

Horus
Horus Member Posts: 850

So a doc tunneled and hard camp me cause i destroyed his ruin and he salty af so i figure yeah im gonna die but i want my teammates to go free im solo but hook time isnt long enough to get all gens done i died with one gen left time needs to be longer in order to truly punish campers i believe an extra 40 seconds split into both phases would help greatly

Comments

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611

I'd agree on increasing hook timers if and only if generator timers got increased. Longer games are more fun anyway, but if that means getting even more gen rushed I'm out

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850
    edited August 2019

Yeah automatic mori and exposed status on you every game

• BBQnDemogorgon
    BBQnDemogorgon Member Posts: 3,615

Only if gen times get increased significantly as well.

• Mister_xD
    Mister_xD Member Posts: 7,669

you do realize that would not only punish campers, but greatly affect the overall game experience for all killers, right?

by having every hook state being 80 seconds, survivors would have tons of time to just finish the stuff they were currently doing before even trying to go for the safe, which means a LOT less map pressure for killers and an even greater genrush overall.

im sorry, this is really just not a good idea.

• MrsMaliciousX
    MrsMaliciousX Member Posts: 736

There is NO such thing as being gen rushed...The survivors have ONE objective..do gens and escape..they dont have to cleanse totems but if they dont they could get hit with noed..Just like killers..even tho to be able to pip you need to do more than just hook people/kill them..you can't say they are gen rushing lol. Its not a thing.

• immortalls96
    immortalls96 Member Posts: 4,652

Technically is a thing when a killer had 12 hooks to get in potentially five minutes..it exists..its a term for a balance issue that's all

• TWiXT
    TWiXT Member Posts: 2,063
    edited August 2019

First a little history:

Before the Hag came out Killers couldn't damage generators, and survivors had 1 minute of hook time with each hook phase triggering every 30 seconds. After the Nurse and Shape came out with the Hag on the horizon, it became clear to everyone that 60 seconds was not enough time for the remaining 3 survivors to punish a killer for camping. Camping literally became the "go to" winning strategy for the majority of killers (if you think its bad now, you should've seen how much worse it was back then). In order to discourage killers from camping, the devs increased the time survivors have on hooks by 100% or another 60 seconds, bringing the total to 120 seconds of hook time with each phase triggering every 60 seconds instead. This has been the norm for a long time because it did exactly what it was supposed to do, it discouraged killers from using "camping" as a winning strategy by giving survivors more than enough time to complete gens while sacrificing one of their teammates.

Now to point out what went wrong in your match:

You cleansed Ruin, got chased and downed, and I assume one gen was either completed or nearly completed within that time because you say there was 1 gen left by the time you died. That means that while you were being hooked and hanging on it for 120 seconds, all but 1 gen was completed by 3 survivors. Each gen takes 80 seconds for a single survivor to do, so by the time you were about 40 seconds from death, 3 gens could have popped leaving 1 left. It takes 3 survivors working together on a gen 33.33 seconds to complete it, even if we factor in 10 seconds of travel time for your fellow teammates to reach the final gen, they would have completed it right around the time you were sacrificed, and the Doctor wouldn't have been able to move fast enough to stop them. So why didn't they just complete the last gen? Obviously 1 or more of them either weren't doing the objective trying to figure out if they could save you, or all 3 of them split up to do each of the remaining 3 gens solo. No matter the circumstances, the only way your team was going to lose that match is if they were potatoes.

Observation of you post taking these facts into account:

You bought your team 2 minutes, removed the obstacle of Ruin for them, and in that time they reduced the gens down to 1 because 2 minutes is more than enough time for 3 survivors to take out 4 gens. If they didn't do that, its because they were potatoes, not because the games (already ridiculously lenient) amount of "lifetime" on the hook is too short.

Conclusion:

Your team's at fault, not the game's "Lifetime" mechanic, and whining about it while asking for the hook time to be raised is not only putting the blame in the wrong place, but also laughably juvenile of you.

Accept that despite the crappy situation, you did the right thing buying your team time while distracting the killer, the killer was a spiteful moron for camping, and your team just didn't take advantage of it. Don't come here like a salty, over-entitled brat and start mewling for disgustingly obvious "Survivors should always win" changes to the game.

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777

interesting. i can't dread more than 12m of this game anymore.

• gantes
    gantes Member Posts: 1,611

I'm not using it as an insult or anything. Just by the literal meaning of the word: gens popping fast. No need to get offended.

• DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    edited August 2019

Many Killers camp because of time pressure, there is simply not enough time to afford all 3 Hook stages for all Survivors. The longer you make the hook timer, the worse the problem will get as it gives them an incentive to camp even more to ensure the Survivor will be down a Hook stage or killed and not rescued last second.

Camping ramped up for that very reason when the hook timer was increased. Twixt may gave a bit of history, but he left out some crucial bits.

You can find my idea funny all you like, I couldn't care less about that. Experience has shown that camping gets more severe the less time a Killer has. The game's average trial length decreased from ~12-15 minutes in 2016 to about half of that nowadays. The further you decrease this, the more prevalent camping will become (a phenomenon that can also be observed with ranking up, as games tend to go faster and faster), especially since many Survivors can't be bothered to leave one man behind and just gtfo.

Don't get me wrong, I know that initially, camping would ramp up if you'd revert to 30 second hook timers, but that trend would level out and eventually reverse itself as soon as Killers notice that they have more time on their hand and less to worry about optimal time management.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

The current timer is long enough already to punish campers and make them lose the game, provided the other survivors focus on gens.

• doitagain_
    doitagain_ Member Posts: 723
    edited August 2019

These types of forum threads are pointless. You talk about the killer being salty but obviously you’re the one still holding a grudge coming here to complain on the forums. Hook stages are long enough as is.

• MrsMaliciousX
    MrsMaliciousX Member Posts: 736
  • HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814
    edited August 2019

Another unreasonable request of only one side player. First chase and 2 minutes on the hook are more than enough to finish the game. If they didn't its on them for beeing... not smart and on you for not using kindred.

Just no.

• Locker_Monster
    Locker_Monster Member Posts: 496

Boo-hoo. You got camped. Suck it up.

I'm bloody tired of seeing a new 'Punish campers because I hate the playstyle!' thread every 12 hours.

It's boring to see the same complaint in different flavors because people don't want to admit that potato players make camping effective.

Instead we get 'It's not OUR fault we swarmed a camping Killer! Punish camping! Learning when NOT to unhook is for scrubs! Let us throw ourselves at the Killer and they get punished for it!' yelled again..and again...and again...and again....and again..

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

This doesn't sound healthy.

• Wuhelm
    Wuhelm Member Posts: 260

I am fine with longer hook time....but now all hits are insta-downs and survivors get no way to unhook...see I can sound stupid like the OP. Come man grow up people like you should not be playing the game as there are easier games for you like My Little Pony Adventures(Good luck with that one though I heard it is neigh impossible to beat).

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

Wat

• Jacoby2041
    Jacoby2041 Member Posts: 843

Killers need more hex time. Hexes should last long enough to kill all the survivors, it's not fair that they can just tunnel the totem and guarantee that it's gone without getting punished, so it should take 480 seconds to destroy a totem so the killer has enough time to complete their objective before it's gone (120 seconds for a full sacrifice, for 4 survivors gives the killer just enough time to do their objective if they are very efficient)

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375

40 seconds more for both phases, are you out of your mind? Such a suggestion can only come from a biased Survivor main.

• JnnsMu
    JnnsMu Member Posts: 249

So he has one survivor dead and there is only one generator left with Ruin gone? That doesn't sound like a good situation for the doc. Seems to me like he got punished enough for tunneling you.

• Angelicus23
    Angelicus23 Member Posts: 2,547

I just like when a killer facecamps me because most of the times I do many things to keep my pips but if the killer facecamps and doesn't let the survivor get hooked more times, he lose a pip. This is the good part of the emblem system

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Camping is ######### for FPS games too, but guess what? It's an effective tactic in some situations.

• Roobnus
    Roobnus Member Posts: 375

Well, yea... but.... you reap what you sow... because guess what? Playing against friends is also annoying.