We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Why Have The Graphics Been Downgraded Over Time?

BlueFang
BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

So I was looking at older footage of the game just because I was curious to see what the game was like before I started playing a year ago and good gravy

Why does it look so much better? The lighting the game used to have looks so much better then what it has now, it looks atmospheric and you can actually see the ground and surroundings have detail

To say nothing about how much better the default FOV is for Killers

Why did it get downgraded so hard?

Comments

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,798

On console to increase performance. Idk about PC.

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Because consoles have objectively worse hardware than PCs, so this was an easy way to improve performance.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600

Not to mention they seem loath to have two separate branches of code for PC and console. Not that I can blame them for that.

• DBDbuildsYT
    DBDbuildsYT Member Posts: 1,042

The reduced FOV was the greatest back stab on killers I have ever seen

• Horus
    Horus Member Posts: 850

FPS

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

The FoV is the same actually, what changed was the killer-cam PoV: the camera is literally further forwards than it's supposed to be, meaning survivors can stand underneath it and it will clip into their heads if the killer looks down.

That has been the case since Patch 1.4, when the game was updated with a newer version of Unreal Engine 4. The change to killer PoV was apparently unintentional and when the devs acknowledged it, they said so but that they had no intention of ever fixing it. It's also that update which led to flashlight blindness causing problems with high-end monitors that can display brighter luminance, effectively damaging the eyes of the player looking at the screen. The issue was reported immediately but as it only affected killers, it would be 17 months before the devs did anything about it, which was a simple swapping of the texture. This was a potential health-hazard, but they were in no hurry. Most games warn about Epilepsy risks, but no such warning was made about damage to eyesight.

Yet people think I have it in for the devs just for the hell of it.

Regarding that patch, not all the detail made the transition: a lot of HDR pixel-shader effects for example. Legacy cosmetics used to glow very bright and now just don't at all. It's been two and a half years, so I don't think that's coming back.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

I recently played on one of the Coldwind Farms maps and the shadows didn't load, so it was stupidly easy to spot survivors in the corn husks.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,555

The game was darker so the lighting looked better. Since everyone was complaining about Claudette being able to blend into literally everywhere, they slowly and consistently brightened up all the maps until it literally looks like its daytime now.

We'll have to wait for all the texture updates in the older maps to see some improvement

• YaiPa
    YaiPa Member Posts: 1,929

The game had more souls and generally looked better in terms of graphic and animations back in the days. But they had to cut on many things due to claudette being invisible, and the fact that, despite how good that trap set, killers can't really waste time nowdays.

• ArecBalrin
    ArecBalrin Member Posts: 636

The video though features the fabled 'machine gun build' on the Trapper, which adequately enabled killers to save time and was the only defense against the hook-swarm plays that survivors engaged in immediately following Myers getting nerfed days after he was released(he could stalk multiple survivors originally, then they took that away for two years).

Survivors of course demanded that perk combination be nerfed, namely that STBFL and Unrelenting no longer be stackable, which is ironic seeing as survivors continued to see 2nd-chance perks getting stacked. The devs were so scared though they nerfed the perks beyond what survivors even asked for: Unrelenting was made useless and STBFL became dependent on the horribly-unreliable system for detecting when you're 'in a chase'. Rather than fix that system, they just gave STBFL a 5-second grace period when a chase dropped.

• DBDbuildsYT
    DBDbuildsYT Member Posts: 1,042

Fov or pov, in any case it was much better.

It was easier to see survivors when juking. After that it never recovered

• SpacingLlamas
    SpacingLlamas Member Posts: 602

I hate how people (not you) believe that in order for a game to run better it must have terrible or lowered down graphics which isn't true. You can have both great graphics and performance.

DBD just don't know how to properly optimized their game

• SpikedOne
    SpikedOne Member Posts: 7

Yeah I have the same issue, I used to find this game beautyful now I dont even wanna play it no more the graphics looks like 800-600 resolution it makes me sick to my stomic È(

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379
    edited August 2019

@ArecBalrin

That actually explains a lot. No wonder why the killer FOV feels so pushed in

They still haven't bloody fixed it, After all this time? REALLY?

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

This game has never really looked that great, even when it first came out, and it barely runs on consoles as it is. As much as I would love a graphics overhaul I would be worried about console performance.