What exactly is gen rush?

Options
somewherenear
somewherenear Member Posts: 35
edited August 2019 in General Discussions

4 survivors start the game and hop on 4 generators. The killer finds one and starts chasing that one. The other 3 do gens. Is this gen rushing? If so, why is it rushing? What should the other survivors be doing? Looking for chests? Sabotaging?

I am confused what Gen Rush means - what else should survivors do if not gens?

I'd like to hear from the perspective of killers - what do you expect other survivors to be doing? idling?

Comments

• Cornpopers_Evan
    Cornpopers_Evan Member Posts: 2,428
    Options

It really has no meaning, at least to me. The only thing that actually comes close to a real "gen rush" is when survivors literally don't care about doing anything other then gens.

• citron
    citron Member Posts: 78
    edited August 2019
    Options

With a toolbox a single person can do a gen in 53sec-1:10 seconds.

once you get up in rank where people don't run away like idiots when they hear the heartbeat 1-2 people on a gen and they can finish 1-2 before you can even loop the map.

things change with Nurse/Billy/spirit where they have ######### map pressure compared to other killers.

With competent survivors gen rush is an issue, but it's the developers fault not the survivors, they are doing the objective.

oh and it's technically possible to do a gen with 4 people in 10 seconds (1 gen)

it's also technically possible to do a gen in ~16 seconds with 4 people (all gens)

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582
    Options

It's a term killers use to pin the blame on survivors for getting gens done fast instead of blaming the devs for letting it become that much of q problem

• TR_stonez
    TR_stonez Member Posts: 54
    Options

Toxic gen rushers are people that bring things to speed up gens BNP, prove rhyself stuff like they i never considered it toxic because they are just doing their job and surviving

• Steve0333
    Steve0333 Member Posts: 529
    Options

"Genrushing" is usually the result of a killer tunneling one survivor which is the main reason why tunneling isn't a good strategy. You want to put pressure on all survivors, not just one. So if you are just following one survivor around the map you're going to have three survivors doing gens and getting them done fast.

But this is also why m1 killers are terrible because not only are you easy to loop but it's hard to put pressure on all the survivors. You pretty much have to give up chases quickly or hope you can down survivors really fast in order to be effective. This is why some people say that only nurse and spirit are viable killers since they can end chases quickly and travel quickly around the map putting pressure on all the survivors.

• wisdom
    wisdom Member Posts: 216
    Options

Gen rush is when the killer fails to apply pressure.

• xllxENIGMAxllx
    xllxENIGMAxllx Member Posts: 923
    Options

Lol gen rush exist because weapply no pressure on gens in a sense sometime it's true but, for experimented players you know you're all wrong play clown against gen rusher. YOU.WILL.LOSE

cutting a chase is also a lost because ok you will prevent the survivors to finish a gen but, the survivor you've stopped chasing we go on a generator. So it's like if you were on a solo game you were at the end then decide to restart the game again.

On stupid survivors cutting chase can work but optimal-experimented survivors will simply smash you. Secondary objective is needed for sure for all killers except nurse because she's perfect and that's probably why her add-ons needs to be reworked for sure.

• darkmarc0324
    darkmarc0324 Member Posts: 6
    Options

What Gen Rush means to me, as a killer, is that I've already lost :(

• yakul1nausicaa
    yakul1nausicaa Member Posts: 128
    Options

Also, like most other killers i don't get mad at survivors being efficient, it's just a consequence of game mechanics.

• MrPeterPFL
    MrPeterPFL Member Posts: 636
    Options

There's nothing wrong with "Gen Rushing" If a killer is chasing A, it's expected for B, C and D to do gens.

• Warlock_2020
    Warlock_2020 Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Look, up until the yellow, purple and red ranks there really is no reason to complain about gen rush. Map pressure is easy at those ranks, just don't get too focused on one survivor.

At those higher ranks is where it gets harder. Survivors loop better, they avoid better, and they focus on the gens more. This is why a cover all fix will not work. The majority of players are in the green ranks. Many are casual and nowhere near as skilled as higher rank players. Adding another objective to all ranks would make lower rank matches pure squash matches.

The key is to add rank rewards and increase difficulty by rank.

• switch
    switch Member Posts: 489
    edited August 2019
    Options

Adding rank rewards is a good thing, dificully by rank ? ######### NO

I know personal individuals that would give up their entire progress in 2k hrs just to bully killer, when you have those kind of individuals in the game, do you think they're gonna rank up for what ? bloodpoints, or shards ######### NO. they care to bully not to get rewards.

The key is to implement another objective, good players will adapt, bad players will still do gens.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited August 2019
    Options

I think the real gen-rush is when survivors don't give a damn about anything beside gens: when you see all chests still closed, no totem cleansed and people don't heal you know you're facing real gen rushers. It's very rare to find teams playing this way though.

In other cases it's just an excuse used when killers play bad, or a strategy used when they are playing dirty (hard camping or tunneling someone).

• MegsAreEvil
    MegsAreEvil Member Posts: 819
    Options

Gen rushing doesnt exist. Its a killer legend to encourage themselfs, that theyre not just really bad at playing this game.

• Weederick
    Weederick Member Posts: 1,080
    Options

Genrush can be the result of one bad chase. But i usually call it a mindset. There is only one objective and if you ignore all the immersion and just "play the game", then survivors are most likely to win. The first chase has all the pallets, no spirit fury, no killer momentum. You an usually pump out 2-3 gens without a chance of counterplay. Then its a matter of mindset. If they want to win, they can win right there. They dont have to do totems, play stealthy or rush the hook. They are 3 people having to do 2 gens. Just do the gens and wins.

Its just playing optimally. But if you do, you win. Its just about the RNG of getting 4 genrushers at high ranks.

• ahandfulofrain
    ahandfulofrain Member Posts: 528
    Options

That statement is completely false.

Haunted Grounds and Make Your Choice will scare people off of gens due to the exposed effect.

Ruin, Pop, Corrupt, Thrilling, Discordance, Lullaby, Overcharge, Unnerving, and a Sloppy/Nurse's and Thanataphobia combo all provide gen slowing ability. Obviously they're not all the same (and some are better than others) but to say that there's nothing you can do is silly.

I do, however, agree that chases last too long due to some still-present infinites, weird pallet spawns and etc.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

I think you missed, that the killer actually has to kick the gen for two seconds and a hiding survivor can revert this in a blink of an eye. Im not even kicking gens anymore, if i dont got "Pop goes the Weasel" or "Overcharge".

I feel like "gen rush" is, when you got "Prove Yourself" and "Streetwise" plus a good Toolbox. In an SWF you can do two gens easily before the killer even travelled to you.

• Dr_Trauts
    Dr_Trauts Member Posts: 704
    Options

the only problem is you can't do that with quite a few killers. and only the top end killers have the capability to do it really. At the higher ranks at least

• Dr_Trauts
    Dr_Trauts Member Posts: 704
    edited August 2019
    Options

Of course they can, every killer has the POTENTIAL to perform at red ranks in certain conditions. im just saying some killers find map pressure more difficult than others, weather it be map dependant, the killers mobility or chase potential. It often isnt as black and white as down a survivor and hook them when many other factors play a role in the match that effect the killers pressure, some (or quite of few) of which are entirely out of the killers control.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,761
    Options

I just gotta say I love how matter-of-fact your comments often are.

• Groxiverde
    Groxiverde Member Posts: 767
    Options

Gen rush is when all gens are done in 4-5 minutes.

• FriendlyGuy
    FriendlyGuy Member Posts: 2,768
    Options

That's another type of pressure in my eyes. Gen pressure is the ability to keep survivors off gens and/or decrease the gen progression as a killer. For sure, enough hook pressure can cause gen pressure too, but only chasing generates no gen pressure. Even hooking a survivor only gets one survivor off a gen.

• Weederick
    Options

In my experience, hook pressure is the only real pressure. Keeping each chase under 30-60s is a must to keep gen progression in check. The whole kicking gens and protecting them only leads to failure as you can only waste time until your next hook. Free hits, injuring, downing people counters genrush.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110
    Options

Whenever survivors play better than the killer and complete the gens really really fast.

• woundcowboy
    woundcowboy Member Posts: 1,994
    Options

Yea but there is no comparison between the time taken to down with a killer like wraith or pig vs spirit or nurse. M1 killers down people too slow to generate strong pressure.

• Weederick
    Options

3-genning doesnt work against good survivors. If you chase, one of them gets done. If you dont, the rest are done for free. And then you have nothing to compete against full hookstate survivors who will gladly tap it one at a time but stay out of your reach, since you have to chase at some point for a hook, and they only need 30s to repair one gen. It may work with some Doctorbuilds against casuals.

Not focusing on loopers is also a low-midrank strategy. What do you if you face 4 decent survivors who can loop, abandon every chase until the game is over? At r1 you often face teams, where everyone can loop decently. Those are the games that matter and need to be won and 3 genning is shooting yourself.

• somewherenear
    somewherenear Member Posts: 35
    Options

Thanks for all the replies - heres a summary for those that are interested what I think is the best answer based on the responses

Gen Rush is common a killer mindset that survivors are "rushing" to finish generators because they are busy chasing a survivor. I think this is a wrong mindset, since doing generators is the survivors job. They aren't rushing it since they really have nothing else to do.

True "Gen Rush" is when a team runs 4 purpe toolboxes and does nothing but generators, even when they are injured (skip healing). This answer makes the most sense to me. I just started to play killer (and Ive played hundreds of hours as survivor), and I have never seen this. I'd imagine it would have to be 4 SWF who are all much better than a killer and feels confident they can avoid detection and loop successfully even when injured. This is probably only seen at high ranks since at Rank 8 killer (where I am at) and lower, I haven't seen anyone close to being able to pull this off.

My conclusion is that for a majority of us players, gen rushing is not really a problem.

Really appreciate everyone's answers!

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,289
    Options

On the reasonable side it's pointing out that gens can fly by incredibly fast and that some sort of secondary objective would be great if implemented correctly. So criticizing the game or specific systems surrounding generators like completion time, strength of gen regression and effectiveness of stalling tools.

On the unreasonable side it's blaming SURVIVORS for doing their objective effectively. Argue about the balance of time management surrounding generators, it is something that could need work for sure, but blaming players for doing their primary objective as quickly as possible is just plain silly.

• UltraBanana
    UltraBanana Member Posts: 100
    Options

It's a game where if there are no weak links on the survivor team it can be over in 5 minutes or less; and there are easily 15-20 pallets on each map that can be looped by an experienced survivor with very little room for counterplay; then add in some infinite window action on top of that and it's pretty rough out there for the m1 killers. Survivors are also given a ton of second chance perks to use if they choose to which can stall out chases for an incredibly long time. Killers have the OP spirit fury / enduring combo to deal with it; or noed which is there after the game has been lost basically.

• Thasard
    Thasard Member Posts: 268
    Options

It's what happens when one generator is completed before the first hook happens, which is sometimes preceded with a killer DCing. So make sure to 99 that gen and wait for the hook! 🤣

• Zixology
    Zixology Member Posts: 1,062
    Options

Gen-Rushing is when survivors work on generators instead of going afk.