What exactly is gen rush?

Options
2»

Comments

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144
    Options

Gen rushing refers to the survivors' ability to complete all the generators in a very quick time period.

If survivors choose to do this (and assuming they are good in chases) the killer is basically screwed. Only a few killer setups can stop skilled survivors from gen rushing imo.

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529
    Options

Genrushing is when the killer gets iridescent in chaser, and malicious emblem, but bronze or nothing at all in gatekeeper.

Basically, you apply pressure on the survivors, but it doesnt matter, because you cant apply it on all of them at the same time.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

It's when Survivors are optimizing for generator speed rather than anything else such as BP, Emblems or Safety/Stealth

• Accorn
    Accorn Member Posts: 89
    Options

When you play as someone like the clown and the game is 60% over before you even cross the map. M1 killers are worthless unless a secondary, mandatory objective is added or gen completion times are increased. So until then I hope survivors like hillbilly, nurse, spirit, and occasionally huntress.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570
    Options

@Peanits May I ask, is what you wrote in this thread your personal opinion or is this BHVR's official stand on the genrush topic? Or both?

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

There is no "Genrushing" in this game.

It is just an excuse for a Killer who failed to apply pressure on the survivor team. It is like saying as a survivor that the Killer is "killing" People... Thats his job. So it is the job for survivor to do the gens.

• dragobv
    dragobv Member Posts: 304
    Options

its when 4 survivors use old bnp and that was click a gen midchase and it pops good that doesnt exist anymore

• Jplanas98
    Jplanas98 Member Posts: 532
    Options

It's what happens when the devs implement poor game mechanics making it extremely easy to do multiple gens within the first 2-3 minutes of the game. It requires killers to put high pressure on all the survivors although only about 3-4 killers are great at applying pressure well, mainly because the devs are too scared to make a decently strong killer, or survivor mains will cry for a nerf to the killer.

• C0MAxCHRISS
    C0MAxCHRISS Member Posts: 8
    Options

Gen rush is when gens get done fast. Simple. Most killer mains like to blame the survivors. I play killer and it's not their fault, for doing the only thing they're supposed to. It's just when by the time you've gotten like 1 hook.. multiple gens are already done. I play legion and hag, and it sucks by the time I get across the map and find someone 1-2 gens are already done. I play in the green ranks, so sometimes I find myself herding the survivors to do specific gens if I get rushed, so they 3-gen themselves. It's just a bit frusterating if you play a killer like trapper.

• Joao_Bandicoot
    Joao_Bandicoot Member Posts: 286
    Options

Can you please tell what pressure a killer can apply? Because I had a match playing Trapper, 1 person on hook another one in a trap and as I was going for him 2 gens popped.

• ahandfulofrain
    ahandfulofrain Member Posts: 528
    Options

The only part I directly disagree with is the end. You do know you can kick a gen with Pop and still have time to track the scratch marks right?

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143
    Options

Eh sometimes a slug can be more damaging to the survivors than a hook

• HP150
    HP150 Member Posts: 455
    Options

There is no "Tunneling" or "Camping" in this game.

It is just an excuse for a Survivor who failed to complete generators before being hooked. It is like saying as a killer that the Survivor is "surviving" People... Thats his job. So it is the job for killer to do the kills.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    Options

I play wraith never had a problem slugging a survivor here and there actually perform better on slug matches than matches I rush people to a hook

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    Options

I agree and that's why i believe every person should have their own idea o what's meta and what they want in their build (gets boring after 20 games of nothing but DS, BT, BL, DH, adrenaline, etc)

• PickCollins
    PickCollins Member Posts: 495
    Options
  • UltraBanana
    UltraBanana Member Posts: 100
    edited August 2019
    Options

You must have not played the new preschool maps ever. And the maps that don't spawn a lot of pallets, the pallets are super safe. Or you get maps like the game, where you can literally get like 5+ safe pallets all in a row (near the washroom); with a pallet in almost every single room on top of that.

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899
    Options

Only a survivor that never ever plays killer would say that gen rushing isn't an issue. When 60% of the game is over by the time you get your first hook, that's a major issue. Happens way too often, even with unbroken hex ruin in play, killers vs decent survivors are at a ridiculous disadvantage. Additional objectives need to be added.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Sure, i get your point, and you can see it that way.. i pretty much do aswell.. still..

There is Tunneling and Camping in this game - by term. When you tunnel, you tunnel, when you camp, you camp. The difference is, that a survivor has nothing else to do than going to a gen and repairing it. Survivor have no other choice then that. A Killer does.

• Tenebro
    Tenebro Member Posts: 89
    Options

I think they will never balance this game against high levels. Devs said so clearly in a dev stream: the game is balanced around mainstream players. I agree that balancing the game around high levels should be obvious, but their direction is another one, sadly :(

• Aikanaro
    Aikanaro Member Posts: 310
    Options

It seems you never played survivor, what you say is a total fallacy.

• Aikanaro
    Options

If you want to give more power to killers (with all the nerfs survs had), the casuals wont have any chance at all, its total unnecessary since this is not a competitive game.

Nobody will play the game, ever.

• JnnsMu
    JnnsMu Member Posts: 249
    Options

Yes, 3 people working on generators is gen-rushing. No, they should not be doing anything else. It's similar to how some survivors yell at killers for patrolling hooks, slugging or tunneling: It's how the game works and what you should do as your role if the situation calls for it but some people will still get mad because they can't deal with how stressful playing Killer can be. Just ignore people like this. They have no game knowledge and while they have a point - In my opinion, Generator progression should be slower in general and Ruin should be nerfed to make progression more consistent, similar to how Brutal Strength was changed - , it's just idiotic for them to blame survivors for playing the game instead of either dealing with it or trying to get things improved through forum posts.

• UltraBanana
    UltraBanana Member Posts: 100
    edited August 2019
    Options

You clearly don't play at red ranks. A chase that lasts a minute or two can be game-ending; and is honestly not that hard to pull off on the m1 killers if you get a lousy map with an infinite and a ton of safe pallets.

The nerfs were pretty needed. Survivors still have a ton of crutches to rely on while killers have 2 (spirit fury and noed). 1 DS is still enough to win the game, 1 unbreakable still enough to win the game, 1 dead hard for distance to another loop enough to end the game, an instaheal can win the game, etc etc. Half the time if you want to use the OP killer items like mori's someone will just dodge the lobby. In the old days survivor was literally god mode with sprint burst on a 32 second cooldown and able to be used in a chase with vacuum pallets.

• Tenebro
    Options

I was talking about balance around high levels, like every other online game on the market. This means a balance rework from new to experienced players in various game aspects, not simply giving more power to killers with the current game state ... but don't worry, they will never do so because there is a lot of work: if they took years to rework Freddy, and months to adjust Legion (with horrible results), I couldn't imagine the time necessary to rework the whole game balance.

• wisdom
    wisdom Member Posts: 216
    Options

Well, you were playing trapper. That’s one issue there.

As trapper you automatically have to give up map pressure just to use your power. It’s how he works. It’s why so many people on the forums would argue he isn’t one of the worst killers in the game.

you having A person on the hook and a person trapped is 2 people off generators. It’s not possible for you to expect that generators don’t get popped, your job is to simply stop all of them from being popped. in The situation you described those 2 gens were popped but the next gens would have been significantly slower, since they are forced to rescue presumably while you are in another chase.

Also, assuming those were the first 2 gens, that’s average gameplay. You should expect 1-2 generators being popped by your first hook. It’s not possible to pressure 4 survivors without hooks.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

I mainly play killer and I don’t “blame you,” for gen rushing... when i play as survivor I do the same. We are just looking for a new dynamic to make the game a little longer.

• Aikanaro
    edited August 2019
    Options

I play red ranks and its terrible, Spirtis Nurses and Billys everywhere using Ruin, BBQ, Endurance, NOED.

And a few times had very skilled Huntresses, Doctors.

Those guys were top notch, as devs said, if you spend all your time chasing one survivor you are doing something wrong.

Also lots of red ranks survs have like 4000 hours into the game, is not like they played a couple of games and didnt earn the right.

There are very few pallets, and if you wasted them, they wont be there when others could need them.

For example Gas Heaven, behind that huge mile of cars you have 2 gens and only 3 pallets, and once you are there escaping from the bus you need to go almost a mile to turn around those wrecked cars, and then there you dont have any pallets either until the gas station whereabouts.

Sure nerfs were needed, and its good the way it is, killers wont die, wont run out of addons, have bloodlust, a kind of balanced landing, its good.

• Aikanaro
    Options

What for?

Sometimes the way it is now, the game takes an eternity to end.

As soon you make the game longer, you are ruining a trillion chances of escaping, you are only adding more time so killers can hook for no reason at all.

Also they dont even fixed the exit gates, 90% of the times the gates are very close from each other, whats the fun? play a game that you are going to lose?

• joker7997
    joker7997 Member Posts: 899
    Options

I play survivor all the time. I'm a much better killer than survivor, because I'm not a complete a hole like the survivors I face as a killer. This game really brings out the worst in humanity for whatever reason.

• Tenebro
    Options

Some games yes, last long ... and as a survivor or killer these are the games I like the most. I really wish every game was like that. But they don't happen very often, most of games are too short: you spend more time staying in lobby rather than actually playing the game.

And no, the chances to escape are almost the same, regardless of the duration of the match: sometimes I die (or escape) in a very short game (1 sacrificed, all other escapes, usually lasts 4-5 mins), sometimes all escape (or die, or a mixture) in a longer the game (usually around 15 mins). The first sadly happens too often, and I really hate when it happens 😞 ... no challenge for both factions, they are just boring.

• johnmwarner
    johnmwarner Member Posts: 3,793
    Options

This, it reminds of old Magic the gathering. Long drawn out games full of strategy and play, then eventually it turned into 4 turn kill decks to see who drew luckier.

• NoobLGpro
    NoobLGpro Member Posts: 2
    Options

Map pressure and gen pressure is a thing though. ALL the pros talk about it and use it. It's called slugging,

• PanicSquid
    PanicSquid Member Posts: 655
    Options

Its not only slugging, but slugging is a part of the toolkit. The entire theory is keeping survivors off gens, and doing something else. Hooking survivors, chasing multiple survivors at once, keeping survivors injured, making survivors mend/remove reverse bear traps/ wake up, forcing survivors off gens when you have ruin, making survivors hunt totems, etc.

Also you brought this thread back, like they did to dinosaurs in Jurassic Park.

• druggedpug69
    druggedpug69 Member Posts: 155
    Options

Oh my god every banned person on the planet is here

• LiunUK
    LiunUK Member Posts: 943
    Options

4 survivors with prove thyself. 4 comodius tool boxes with brand new parts and wire spool.

• undoredo
    undoredo Member Posts: 92
    Options

When you're near a gen you can hold a button to do it. Doing this gen is considered toxic by the community. Hope this helps