We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Self-Care is not a good perk.

sluc16
sluc16 Member Posts: 535

Seriously how is it that so many survivors use this perk? Is not useful at all and it affects the game more than it helps.

It takes forever for survivors to fully heal and there they stay healing for ages not doing gens or even when a teammate is hooked close to them.

I really don't think this is a good perk.

Comments

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696

Just use a med kit for like a 2x the speed

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Self care is a good perk.

Medkits are just far better than every healing perk in general, not just SC.

• justarandy
    justarandy Member Posts: 1,711

Just fyi: medkits exists. Medkits can be used. Medkits are better.

• Killmaster
    Killmaster Member Posts: 429

I only use Self-care with Botany Knowledge.

• Rydog
    Rydog Member Posts: 3,275

A better way of contextualizing this perk is that it teaches bad habits.

A lot of new players are told to start with Claudette because of this perk, and they learn to rely on it way more heavily than they should, because it's a useful second chance perk when you're just learning the game.

It's not until later that it really sinks in that Self Care is slow, inefficient, and usually a poor tactical decision. Then they have to unlearn the bad habit.

Medkits, Pharmacy, and especially Bond are way better healing tools when you know what you're doing. And, being injured isn't always a death sentence once you've gained some experience.

So yeah, I blame this perk's popularity on bad advice, which I am guilty of giving too.

• Star99er
    Star99er Member Posts: 1,442
    edited August 2019

I mean were in a no healing meta currently, which is why insta heals are being used more often. They could reduce the amount of time it takes to heal yourself from 32 to 30 seconds and reduce the time to heal others from 16 to 15.

• Corrupted
    Corrupted Member Posts: 157

Depends on the Elo. I recommend brown and green ranks to use it - you have to carry yourself at that rank and you likely won't be good at looping at this point so healing to that health state is worth it. But in low purple ranks and red ranks, Self care sucks and wastes time unless killer is slugging.

• Might_Oakk
    Might_Oakk Member Posts: 1,243
    edited August 2019

If you're a new player without medkits it's reasonable to use but definitely shouldnt be using once you get medkits

Run we'll make it instead and heal potatos 4xs quiker then they would SC

If players learn SC is a bad thing and the meta shifts the game will get much more difficult for killers

Post edited by Might_Oakk on
  • PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

I stopped running self care as soon as the healing nerfs came out, and I haven’t looked back. Now with Inner Strength and Second Wind just around the corner I will likely never run self care again.

• LCGaster
    LCGaster Member Posts: 3,154

There's a reason why I bring Medkits instead of Self Care

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

I always combo it with Botany Knowledge. I'm basically playing like the healing nerf never happened.

• savevatznick
    savevatznick Member Posts: 651

I've learned to play injured. Sometimes healing is very helpful against killers, but I find that against most loopable killers I don't need the second chance being healthy gives me. I just don't see the need for self care when medkits exist and yout teammates usually bump into you anyways. Also, bad memories of the idiots who self care at pallets or run miles away to self care when the killer is chasing someone else. Then again, I run Iron Will almost always, so being injured never bothers me much.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

Depends on the killer though. Staying injured against a Plague or Legion you’re gonna be fine.

If a Spirit hears you injured, you’re gonna die. Wraith gets a easy first hit. Nurse will always easily down you.

• justarandy

Just fyi: u can use addons for more heals. U can pick a medkit up again or jump into a locker to safe it. Spend more bloodpoints then. I never had no medkits anymore and u bring one every match.

• fahad0595
    fahad0595 Member Posts: 57

you should not heal all the time that's why self-care is bad and it takes too long .. so ew run a med-kit instead

• justarandy

Selfcare:

- 90% of the reason why the whole team dies.

But hey, of you are so persistent on using selfcare in a corner with sloppy butcher and tana against a Legion go ahead. Your team mates will like your for sure lol

• TeaLeaf
    TeaLeaf Member Posts: 205

Until the collapse survivors don't have time constraints, its not as much of a detriment to survivors as a time eating perk would be for a kill. As well for survivors who solo and can't rely on the quality or helpful nature of their teammates it ensures the ability to always recover even your essentially alone. It might not be the most meta of meta perks but it has its place.

• karatinac97
    karatinac97 Member Posts: 210

@Might_Oakk I used to use self care all the time but now don't use it at all. I love 'We'll make it' - as long as survivors don't run away while I'm trying to heal them! Lol

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,775

I don't use it, actually. Keep thinking you're better than people over a perk in DBD, though.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

I started with Feng Min. Didnt realize till later on how good she was as a starting character.

• BlueFang
    BlueFang Member Posts: 1,379

All you people using self-care with Botany knowledge

Just bring Pharmacy for pete's frigging sake! You'll get a green med-kit so you can heal yourself and others far faster then self-care and botany without the need to sacrifice two bloody slots and you'll search every chest faster

There's no reason to run Self care when pharmacy exists

• chickenMan
    chickenMan Member Posts: 23

Self care makes games easier for killers. It wastes time for survs and forces one surv to sit still for 30+ seconds. It really is a crutch perk, and once I stopped using it I became a lot better at the game. I’m kinda happy about it right now though, when I play killer it means I don’t have to worry about gens as much since at least one surv is probably just sitting in a corner, doing nothing. Just my opinion

• justarandy

I never said I'm better. Train your reading skills lad

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467
    1. I’m too lazy to level up Quentin lol.
    2. Botany also helps with helping other Survivors. I think it also works with We’ll Make It. It’s like 2.3.0’s healing nerf never happened.
    3. Green Medkits are what, 24 charges? You can only heal yourself once. You also aren’t guaranteed a medkit in the other chests. After that first medkit, you could be back to running around injured and relying on your teammates. Pharmacy isn’t really worth it in this case unless the medkit has add-ons.
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,775

"But hey, of you are so persistent on using selfcare in a corner with sloppy butcher and tana against a Legion go ahead. Your team mates will like your for sure lol"

Right. Troll someone else please.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

She’s a really good starting character. I think think Meg is the best for new players. You can easily gain distance from the killer with Sprint Burst, can be stealthy with Quick and Quiet, and have an insta-heal at the end of the game with Adrenaline. When I first picked Meg when I was new, I had no idea what Adrenaline did but I still equipped it because it was all I had...saved me many times.

Only thing I don’t like about Feng and Meg is that they are two of the loudest survivors. They breathe very loud and have loud injured moans.

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696

I'll bring self care because i have no faith in my team mates. It's an even 50/50 split if i'll be healed by my team mates or forced to self care.

• Liruliniel
    Liruliniel Member Posts: 3,047

There's a guy who listed Survivor's for sound to get the ones who makes noise and compaired to one another. He also does Survivors who to start with based on teachables. I know he said Feng simply because she has a exhaustion, useful info ability, and technician helps with failing skill checks.

• KillermainBTWm8
    KillermainBTWm8 Member Posts: 4,212

Selfcare ain't good your prolly correct but inner strength... we'll have to see.

• GeneralLiviu
    GeneralLiviu Member Posts: 7

There are survivors like me that usually play stealthy (self care, iron will, lithe, andrenaline). And if Im stealthy and get away, not beeing fully healed sounds bad for me. I agree,its a pretty bad perk bcs its slow, thats why there are 2 new perks that heal over time, I dont remember the names.

• Pennosuke
    Pennosuke Member Posts: 100

Because most of solo players always have trust issues.

• MimiDallas
    MimiDallas Member Posts: 45

Its a life saver for most beginning players.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

It never was a good perk just a fix for all the players complaining they can't get teammates to heal them. Relying on infinite healing to make it till endgame causes alot of players to continue bad habits and poor choices.

• justarandy

Even after quoting you can't read? This is really sad, glad I'm not I'm your skin lol

• indieeden7
    indieeden7 Member Posts: 3,366

More like no mither, self care, solidarity and second wind.