Self-Care is not a good perk.

13»

Comments

• bomb1720
    bomb1720 Member Posts: 428

also i got used to not taking self care and then my r2 button stopped working so i couldn't use medi kit. my perks at the time were borrowed time, the one where you can unhook faster with bp, for my team mates. for myself addrenilin and the one for the aura of hatch. completey hated having to take selfcare again. i do think though selfcare is a good perk for majarority until you can get to rank 4-6 and if you dare!

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886

The most I've managed is 4 heals with Inner Strength.

Then we died to NoEd. =_=

• bomb1720

me too but i didn't get noed, hahahha, abit of gloating, sorry

• premiumRICE
    premiumRICE Member Posts: 798

Now that iron will is even stronger in the meta, self care has literally 0 use.

it has been a bad perk since the nerf but now there are literally 0 reason to pick it

• StarMoral
    StarMoral Member Posts: 938

People often forget Self Care boosts Medkit efficiency by a lot. 20% may not sound like much, but when you're able to get three heals with one box and no charge addons and STILL have the ability to heal yourself, it can really help.

• ekto
    ekto Member Posts: 103

i don't really care how good it is, it's just a boring perk tbh

• Mochan

This is actually the main thing I use Selfcare for. I stack it with Botany and a Medkit so I can heal myself fast.

But I don't do it much anymore because Inner strength is better and frees up a perk slot and item slot.

• ZahmZaddy
    ZahmZaddy Member Posts: 54

Iron will and bond are a survivors best friends!

…. I seriously can't stress enough how much iron will is awesome!

• PGJSF
    PGJSF Member Posts: 369

If you play solo you just can’t afford to be injured while doing gens without any information at all. Medkits aren’t endless.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913
    edited October 2019

Doesn’t matter if your R2 button broke, you can still change your controls and choose different buttons for every action. My X button became wonky so I had to change my hook struggle to R1 until I got a new controller.

• TheALIEN
    TheALIEN Member Posts: 327

I see it as situational- if I’m against a killer that butchers healing- I’ll stick to a medkit Xx

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,913

I dropped Self Care and I don’t regret it. It has no use when you have med-kits, your teammates, Adrenaline, Second Wind, and Inner Strength.

“But med-kits aren’t endless.” Yeah but how often are you going to have to heal yourself? If you have to heal 7 or 8 times over and over again you aren’t playing optimally. Good survivors stay injured because they don’t care. They can loop and have perks to prolong a chase and waste time. Healing with Self Care and the killer has Sloppy Butcher is doing your team NO favors.

You’re being a useless teammate by healing in the corner of the map not doing anything.

Perks like Adrenaline and Inner Strength reward you a free heal that takes FAR less time than Self Care and you actually do something productive in the game, while Self Care you are doing nothing productive.

Plus if the killer has Nurses Calling and you’re healing in a bush you are going to die regardless. Can’t tell you how many times I’ve phased walked on a Claudette healing herself in the far corner of the map. Guess what happened? She died. Or disconnected. Did nothing for her team and they all lost.

Self Care is simply not as good as people say it is. You are wasting time not doing a damn thing which is what the killer wants.

• Mochan

Medkits will heal you once, twice or thrice with the better ones and addons. That's more than enough for a game.

If you are getting injured and need to heal more than twice you are probably not going to win, unless you've been taking protection hits (which generally speaking aren't a good idea anyway).

And if you are getting injured and healing thrice, four times or more in a game with Self Care then you are just SCREWING YOUR TEAM OVER. That's not even counting Sloppy Butcher.

Imagine healing four or more times in a game with Self Care and Sloppy Butcher? That is like 3 minutes of you doing nothing but hiding in a corner. That's half the game of you being worthless. You're just handing the keys to the kingdom to the killer.

• Mister_Holdout
    Mister_Holdout Member Posts: 3,144

It's good if you know the proper time to use it. Problem is there are so many baby survivors that constantly use it to heal instead of working on gens.

• PGJSF

I agree with everything you said. It’s still reckless to go without it. There’s going to be that situation where you absolutely need to heal in order to save the day.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

Then don't use it.

I prefer to always have a method of healing that doesn't depend on limited charges & my fellows.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,026

you shouldn't need to heal yourself more than twice per match. Once at best. With that being said, Self-care as a perk went from a must-have best survivor perk in the game to an off-meta perk that requires Botany knowledge+Resilience to really be worth it if you want to spam it. In some sense, Healing in dbd for survivor is somewhat crutch because healing is same as gaining an exhaustion perk and all exhaustion perks in my opinion are crutches for getting out of bad positioning. They also function as chase extenders which are really bad right now for killers because of how badly they're pressed for time against better survivor players. For that reason, healing is kinda tough to balance because better players take fewer hits so undoing a killer's work is really bad where as lesser skilled survivors need safety nets. That's large reason why in soloqueue, I tend to run We'll make it so I can fix my teammates errors, but I'd recommend using Bond to find teammates to heal you if you feel insecure when playing injured.

• PGJSF

Bond can help you find teammates but it doesn’t guarantee that they will heal you. You could use those 15 seconds you use to reach you teammate to just heal yourself. I barely play survivor btw and them not healing are way too often the reason I get kills.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,234

Like I mentioned earlier, Adrenaline and now Second Wind or Inner Strenght only are "better" at healing because they ignore (or "dont scale") with healing speed. If they were to in any way be affected, even with a better scaling, their popularity would plummet down.

• bomb1720

we were all babies at some stage and didn't we all take self care? you saying you didn't? if that was taken away i don't think that would be fair. it's good for people getting used to game, others they get used to having a free space for another perk+medikit!

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

Healing yourself means its a long time spent not being helpful to your team, its good to get into the habit of healing only when you need to, (Ie to make a save/get into a chase, do a risky gen.) Its useful if you are getting hit constantly, and arnt good enough in chases that being found injured is normally an ez down. But honestly it just promotes bad plays, and going without it will activley make you a better player.

• TooKoolFoU
    TooKoolFoU Member Posts: 378

I don’t run self care, because I’d agree that it sucks. However, bond is good for more than heals. Better together makes it 10x easier to do gens, get heals, and stick together cause teammates come to you instead vise versa to them.

• picigu9
    picigu9 Member Posts: 50

It slumps you over in a position that may keep you more hidden that crouching, depending on the thing you attempt to hide behind. It disables campers and tunnelers, because they will usually hit you to scare you off. With the option to help yourself, you can take a hit for them to get a head start.

• 8obot1c
    8obot1c Member Posts: 1,129

I run self care Botany Knowledge and Resilience so it increases speed by a lot, but also I can heal others faster and vault windows faster when I'm injured :D

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Lost_in_the_Fog Member Posts: 452

Yet another post telling others how they should play the game. . .

• Lost_in_the_Fog
    Lost_in_the_Fog Member Posts: 452

Self Care is useful for new people who are learning the game. I used it and then grew out of it when I learned to last longer in a match because I wanted the perk slot for other things. Let people run what perks they want to without having to put up with someone looking down on them for it. You think it's useless so you don't use it. Why do you feel the need to dictate what others do?

• martin27
    martin27 Member Posts: 696

I carry self care because i can't trust me team mates to do something useful like healing an injured person.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

This is what I like to do. Even the selfish teammates usually know that healing other survivors gets you a lot of points.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

I take 2 health stages as a luxury. 1 is enough in most cases.

• Artyomich
    Artyomich Member Posts: 281

Why are we pretending as if you'll immediately find someone to heal you?