Solving the Hatch Standoff while improving gameplay

Options
  1. Survivors who can get to an open hatch auto-escape. No more standoffs!
  2. However, killers can close the hatch if they get there first. This permanently removes that hatch from play.
  3. Closing the hatch reveals the aura of the survivor for a few seconds. Killer is now on the way!
  4. Entity spawns a new open hatch somewhere on the map 20 seconds later. Survivor has a new chance at escape again.
  5. Rinse and repeat until Survivor escapes or Killer downs and hooks suvivor per usual.

Problem solved and end game play much improved.

You're welcome.

Comments

• Russ76
    Russ76 Member Posts: 306
    Options
    Troylus said:
    1. Closing the hatch reveals the aura of the survivor for a few seconds. Killer is now on the way!
    I think you should state what a few seconds is.  My thought is give them 6 seconds as I have heard Killers say they can hardly spin around in less time.  

I would say give the survivors a sound so they know it got closed.

Give the hatch a time limit on how long it is there.. let's say 5 mins and if neither side found it close it and start a new hatch.  (saw a picture of a bugged hatch on the game map... ie it was barely showing under a wall.. Survivor couldn't use it and killer wouldn't be able to close it)
  • Troylus
    Troylus Member Posts: 40
    Options

@Russ76 said:
    Troylus said:
    * Closing the hatch reveals the aura of the survivor for a few seconds. Killer is now on the way!

I think you should state what a few seconds is.  My thought is give them 6 seconds as I have heard Killers say they can hardly spin around in less time.  

Give the hatch a time limit on how long it is there.. let's say 5 mins and if neither side found it close it and start a new hatch.  (saw a picture of a bugged hatch on the game map... ie it was barely showing under a wall.. Survivor couldn't use it and killer wouldn't be able to close it)

I think these are good observations. Resetting an unfound hatch after a set amount of time would prevent bugs like the example you gave.

Also, I think the amount of time that a survivor's aura is revealed upon closing a hatch is a good variable to test. Heck, you could even make a perk out of it!

Default time = 3 seconds. Perk: Door of Doom - Closing the hatch now reveals the remaining survivor's aura for and additional 3 / 6 / 9 seconds.

• Thatbrownmonster
    Thatbrownmonster Member Posts: 1,640
    Options

I like this but still feel hatch stand offs would still be a thing

Basically survivors would loop on and on until they found the next hatch

• Troylus
    Options

Conversely, you could have survivor perks that increase the rate at which the new hatch spawns once the old one is closed by the killer.

Perk: Final Favor - When the hatch door is closed, the Entity will spawn a new one for you 5 / 10 / 15 seconds sooner than normal.

• Troylus
    Options

@Thatbrownmonster said:

I think the standoff would end because under my proposal the killer could no longer grab the survivor upon his or her jumping in. Hence, the survivor is motivated to make a dash for it and the killer is motivated to close it to prevent the escape. No more standoff.

Looping and chasing round and round would still be possible with the last survivor, true. But that is the case now anyway. Perhaps the duration of the revealed aura increases each time the killer closes the hatch making this more difficult the longer the end game goes.

• Russ76
    Options
    Troylus said:

@Russ76 said:
    Troylus said:
    * Closing the hatch reveals the aura of the survivor for a few seconds. Killer is now on the way!

I think these are good observations. Resetting an unfound hatch after a set amount of time would prevent bugs like the example you gave.

Also, I think the amount of time that a survivor's aura is revealed upon closing a hatch is a good variable to test. Heck, you could even make a perk out of it!

Default time = 3 seconds. Perk: Door of Doom - Closing the hatch now reveals the remaining survivor's aura for and additional 3 / 6 / 9 seconds.

Killers will hate giving up a perk slot to get that, but not a bad idea.  You could also set it to the more gens that need to be finished the more time their auras are to be seen.  (3 gens to go 9 seconds, 2 gens then 6 seconds, 1 gen to go then 3 seconds)

To be honest, I have no idea what should be done about the hatch.  I think it is needed for those times killers just decimate the survivor team, otherwise you have 1 survivor with 3 gens left to do, who loses hope and just DCs.  In my opinion, the hatch gives survivors and killers both something to work for.

I do like the idea of you brainstorming, now if only the devs would come by the forums more often.  (if the devs do take your idea I would love to see them give you credit.  maybe your name graffiti art style on a wall.)
  • Russ76
    Options

and very possibly.  but at least this gives the killer/survivor a chance rather than just stand around twiddling thumbs.
  • Delfador
    Delfador Member Posts: 2,552
    Options

This was one of the best solutions that I have ever heard about hatch standoff. I hope devs see this thread and at least tell us whether they will consider this solution. The times when the next hatch will be open or how much time the killer can see the survivor can be discussed and adjusted.

• Troylus
    Options

Killers will hate giving up a perk slot to get that, but not a bad idea.  You could also set it to the more gens that need to be finished the more time their auras are to be seen.  (3 gens to go 9 seconds, 2 gens then 6 seconds, 1 gen to go then 3 seconds)

To be honest, I have no idea what should be done about the hatch.  I think it is needed for those times killers just decimate the survivor team, otherwise you have 1 survivor with 3 gens left to do, who loses hope and just DCs.  In my opinion, the hatch gives survivors and killers both something to work for.

I do like the idea of you brainstorming, now if only the devs would come by the forums more often.  (if the devs do take your idea I would love to see them give you credit.  maybe your name graffiti art style on a wall.)

I think you're right regarding the relative weakness of the Perk - but it was just an idea. I suppose it could be paired with some other Remember Me-like effect to make it more appealing. That is: Powering the Exit gates now requires an additional 10/15/20 seconds AND closing the hatch gives the increased aura times. Still kind of fits with the "Door of Doom" theme.

I think you're spot on regarding why the hatch exists in the first place. The devs want to give the final survivor something to do when otherwise they'd have no hope of escape. Problem with the current design is that the killer has no motivation to do anything upon finding the hatch before the survivor does. So he or she just stands there and waits. The game comes to a halt. Worse, when the survivor finally does come along, there's no motivation for either of them to make the first move - so you get the standoff.

It's bad design.

Ideally, you want to incentivize both the survivor AND the killer into finding the hatch and DOING something when they do. For the survivor, this is easy and works fine - jump in and escape! My proposed solution incentivizes the killer now too and keeps the game moving.

• ShrimpTwiggs
    ShrimpTwiggs Member Posts: 1,181
    Options

This is actually a pretty good idea! Up! Up with you until the devs see this!

• Russ76
    Options
    As I said before, it may not be a perfect solution but I like you thinking about it and the civil descussion being had.
  • Russ76
    Options
    @MandyTalk any chance we can get this topic moved to wishlist section?  

• Vortexas
    Vortexas Member Posts: 757
    Options

Why can't we just have the PTB version. Where when you close the hatch the exit gates get powered.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,539
    Options

@Russ76 said:

Your wish is my command :)
    Sorry, bad puns - it's a hot day and I'm tired! LOL

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    Options

The idea has merit. I'd be curious to see how the devs feel about it.

It's better than the devs idea that the hatch closure powers the gates - I wasn't really sold on that idea for various reasons.

• Russ76
    Options
    MandyTalk said:

@Russ76 said:

Your wish is my command :)

In that case. 😍

Thank you though.

The idea has merit. I'd be curious to see how the devs feel about it.

It's better than the devs idea that the hatch closure powers the gates - I wasn't really sold on that idea for various reasons.

Nod.  I didn't even know this section of the forums until Mandy moved another thread to it.  
  • Doom_Punk
    Doom_Punk Member Posts: 371
    Options

Or you know, just close it and show where the Survivor is, and not that respawning crap. You could hit them once and they'd be halfway across the map by the time your cooldown is done and into the hatch.

• p1ague
    p1ague Member Posts: 101
    Options

I've seen a lot of the more recent suggestions on this, and none of them was as good as this old chestnut.

• Luckystrike2778
    Luckystrike2778 Member Posts: 63
    Options

Best idea on the subject still imo._. Bump

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807
    Options

20 seconds is far too short. You can't start a chase in that time. Let alone end one

• p1ague
    p1ague Member Posts: 101
    Options

You don't need to be able to end the chase before another hatch appears, just before they FIND the new hatch.

• SamuraiPipotchi
    SamuraiPipotchi Member Posts: 100
    Options

When you said hatch closing I nearly dismissed this, but it could turn out pretty damn cool. You would end up with more of a hatch race than a standoff.

A few things I'd tweak...

Somewhere between 40 - 60 second before the hatch respawns seems more reasonable. Plus survivors should see an event notification where the hatch was closed (like when a hex totem is broken). Finally, I agree with whoever it was that said the survivors' aura should be visible for 6 - 8 seconds.

Might also be cool to see the killer's terror radius vanish for 10 seconds, but that may be overkill unless it was an extension to tinkerer.