We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

How do you guys brush off toxic comments post game?

Recently I had this match were I just needed to mori someone for a daily but the person I did was extremely toxic post game and I've been playing less ever since. I really do love the game and developers but some survivors really just do kill my mood.

Best Answer

Answers

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Why not disable it?

• Chaotic_Riddle
    Chaotic_Riddle Member Posts: 1,953

Just ignore endgame chat altogether.

Once the match comes to an end, just hit the leave button. There’s no need to put ‘gg’ or anything else, just ignore whatever comes and be on your way. I’ve been doing it and I feel fine ever since then.

• RoKrueger
    RoKrueger Member Posts: 1,371

I love the post game chat. I laugh my lungs out at the insults of those entitled babies. Have fun there too. Remind them who is boss! ;-)

• Predator3174PL
    Predator3174PL Member Posts: 302
    edited August 2019

Report and move on. Sometimes you can laugh really hard after seeing how "toxic" you are for using game mechanics

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Exerlin
    Exerlin Member Posts: 1,352

It's hard to get it out of your head. The way I deal with it is by taking a break. Just a couple days staying off the game can really help you disassociate some negativity from it.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,305

When you've played online games for long enough it sort of stops being anything special. I rarely remember anything for long unless it's particularly creative (the arguably funny sort of trash talking) or if someone turns into a red-hot ball of uncontrollable rage and straight up breaks rules with death threats/encouragements and the like. In which case you just report and move on.

It doesn't excuse the behavior in any way, and while I know it's not quite like that for everyone I have MANY years of desensitization behind me and it worked out that way for me 😄

• Khroalthemadbomber
    Khroalthemadbomber Member Posts: 1,073

Depends on what it is.

Racial/homophobic/ etcetera slur? I report and thank them for the free ban.

Complaining about gameplay? Inquire what situation they were referring and see if there was something "I" saw that they could have done differently.

General toxicity? Depends of the quality and the amount of dickishness behind it. Absolute dick, gg and next game. Obviously in comedic taste, attempt to play along. Absolutely PATHETIC attempt, openly critique their feeble attempts to mock me complete with grammar corrections and actual things to mock that are witty. Looking at you person whose most scathing thing they could come up with was "Khroal the Dumbass Bomber." I'm in mortal agony at how potent that blow you struck me with truly was...

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017

I just send them "Enough salt for fries or we done here?"

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

Got called a camper the other day as if camping isn't a legit strategy and I'm supposed to leave the area when I see someone skulking around in the bushes. I replied with "a happy little camper"...

As the advice previous if you can play off their name or whatever they say. If they want to be mad let them.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    edited August 2019

Crocodile tears to bait them into saying enough horrible things to get them banned. :P

• Ihatelife
    Ihatelife Member Posts: 5,069

From curious side. Do you can ban them by yourself Peanits?

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,017
  • TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320

Embrace it and give it right back to them.... one of the best ones is to just say... ez

that seems to piss people off the most.

• MysticalMagic92
    MysticalMagic92 Member Posts: 123

@Hoodedfengm1n

If he said it he'd probably get banned on his own forum.

• Ihatelife

In your place, I would ban every toxic person without blinking an eye lol

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

I've closed the chat and I'll never open it again.

• MysticalMagic92
    MysticalMagic92 Member Posts: 123

@Ihatelife

That's probably why you're not a moderator? 😅 I can't even imagine having that power but not using it, takes a lot of willpower.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I play on ps4... thats an easy salt dodge there.

And if the guy creates a group and adds me to it so he can express how angry I made him.

I block him there and move on

• Khaletsky
    Khaletsky Member Posts: 32

I usually type GG and wait for them to find something to complain about, if they don't I also put WP there and leave, if they do I laugh and leave)

• Watery
    Watery Member Posts: 1,167

Don’t listen to them, drop a GG<3 and leave.

That’s what I do.

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599

Salty/toxic people are worth laughing at, rather than taking to heart. As long as you aren't a dick, like tunneling off the first hook for that mori, you know you're just better than them. Take it as a compliment that people without anything to show for themselves outside the game are investing their time and energy just for you :3

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,553

I just keep responding with "cry".

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142

When I played, I closed the chat box and never opened it again. I also have my Steam profile completely private, but I did that even before I bought DbD.

• morbidjoe
    morbidjoe Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2019

I ussually do either on killer or surviver side though i see more survivers being toxic then killers i just assume there salty because of a previous round they lost to though i am older and dont take a loss badly though i feel if there really stressed that much they should really take a break from it instead of just snapping back

• Charroger
    Charroger Member Posts: 18

I only had an ebony mori as gf and felt bad because I don't like moris but hooked 3 people once and didn't really try to win. I only wanted the mori but wasn't a dick about it and played very badly. I guess just the constant reply from that survivor to keep telling me to "#########" while having my own problems with depression just really isn't sitting well with me atm but I just can't still shake it off.

• Snow_Lep
    Snow_Lep Member Posts: 305

Be more toxic than them, simply leave a "GGEZ" then leave. It will make them about 10X madder than before and you can laugh to your heart's desire as you know they are now saltier than the old fries at the bottom of a McDonalds bag.

• OGOzSnowChimp
    OGOzSnowChimp Member Posts: 247

@TWiXT

#Metoo...

Nice to see an other person here admit to their sadism.

• Charroger
    Charroger Member Posts: 18

Honestly this made me a bit teary eye thank you so much.

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,626
    edited August 2019

Please if it's that bad, take a break from the game and distract yourself.

Don't let people get to you, try to be positive and to enjoy the game for what it is and if it's hard for you, close the postgame chat, close your comment section and ignore what people say.

• morbidjoe
    morbidjoe Member Posts: 33
    edited August 2019

On console someone used the friend request to send a salty message and i had things set at ignore because i didnt save him because i was the only one there and there was noed lol

• Gardenia
    Gardenia Member Posts: 1,143

I close the chat, or if it's open I just leave immediately after the match ends, ain't nobody got time for that....

• Ihatelife

Buddy, it's impossible to be positive even in real life. The amount of toxic people that I've met in my job is insane.

• QuickStiQz
    QuickStiQz Member Posts: 194

I just agree to everything they say. Like this:

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited August 2019

I have play... I bet 70% of my matches as killer (maybe a bit more).

Mostly I have just play for fun, so I had only a small amount of possible toxicity in my endgame chat, but sometimes toxicity had of course also by me come up.

And then I have just remind the survivor/s, that he/they had on me a friendly killer and that I could have play differently (aka. that I could have camp the area around the hook, or tunnel everyone down, or using frenzy and deep wounds more often [I played mostly pre patch Legion, so aka. I have play the Legion to a time where those abilities were stronger as today and a possible threat for surivors]).

That was most times enough, so that they have start thinking. In the small cases where that was not the case, I have either just leave (and with it end) the lobby, or lol at him, or in 1 case aggressively talk him down, but in the last case I was already in a bad mood before I started the match, so that was not my usual behavior.

But not important what had happend in my endgame chat, I was never in a bad mood because of it. On the other hand, I have a pretty thick skin. After more as a decade in the internet, it just grows thicker and thicker :).

• Ihatelife

Maybe that's even good that I'm not a mod XD

3/4 of community would be banned lmao

• Talmeer
    Talmeer Member Posts: 1,520
    edited August 2019

Depending on which community you are, you also would need to write every banned person a email, or write a special thread about the ban in a special forum why he/she got banned.

That I can tell you from my experience... So maybe that could hold you back if you have in mind, that you have to write 100x emails, or 100x threads, if you ban 100x people, so that each person you have banned know why he/she got banned ;) :).

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599

@Charroger

People only get anything out of salt/toxicity if they're targeting people who don't partake. If you're not toxic yourself, then just play to the best of your ability and know that you did so - other people's approval and opinions don't matter if you know you're not personally being a douche.

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,511

I could, but naturally then you get accused of abusing your power. If they're directing it at me, it's gotta' be really bad for me to step in. I'd rather tell them not to do it again and hope they learn, because at least then they can't say I didn't warn them.

• Swiftblade131
    Swiftblade131 Member Posts: 2,050
    edited August 2019

I enjoy the fact that they spend this much time coming up with pointless insults and banter to try to throw me off, for some reason I just find it funny.

I leave my steam profile open on-purpose. To not only hear what they have to stay, but to try to understand.

My personal favorite are people with private profiles, they comment willy nilly, but are to insecure to allow others to ask them why they think that of you.

All in all, it's a pretty one way street for toxic players. They say what they want, take what they want to hear from your words, and try to twist them. It's honestly impressive the amount of dedication.

But what you need to ask yourself is this. Why do you care? Why are you concerning yourself, with the poor mental condition of a complete stranger? Someone who can't fathom the simplest idea of reason or common-sense?

Why does it bother you, to the point of concern. To go as so far to make a post about it?

Why bother? Because by asking, means they have gotten to you. And by that, you've already lost. And so, I leave you with this bit of advice.

TL:DR Just ignore them

Not easy I know. But there really is no way to tell you how to, for I am not you. Everyone thinks differently, which is why there are so various replies, each different, but some with their similarities.

But maybe that's just me.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Ignore it?

• 8obot1c
    8obot1c Member Posts: 1,129

Well when i get camped and tunneled and they message me something rude I say “ Aaaaaaawwwwwww how cute. A baby (Insert Killer’s that camped and tunneled)” and they get mad lol

• Peanits
    Peanits Dev, Community Manager Posts: 7,511

Don't get me wrong, I 100% agree with you, but a lot of these people saying terrible things in post game chat will try to spin it as "dev abusing their powers", and then learn nothing from it because they're convinced they were wrongly banned.