David King is the best survivor to start with CHANGE MY MIND

He has WGLF and Dead Hard. You really don't need anything else especially at low ranks.

Comments

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Agreed

• PrincessPoop
    PrincessPoop Member Posts: 919

Yes I agree, We’re Gonna Farm Forever is definitely a must have for new players. Cuts that grind in half. Dead Hard is also very useful for chases. Just stay the f**k away from No Mither, seriously don’t even look at it.

• thedevalex
    thedevalex Member Posts: 283

I don't agree. New players don't know how to effectively use dead hard.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223
    edited August 2019

So I have a second account. It was a smurf but since I'm not purple ranks on both sides IDK bout that anymore xD

The problem with Lithe and Alert is they require windows and pallets respectively. Low rank survivors don't use either. They don't know where windows spawn or where to go after they Lithe. Similarly, they don't use pallets enough for Alert to help them. It will help when the killer kicks a gen, but that too is rare at low ranks, and if it's clear across the map it doesn't even make a difference. And Technician really only helps when you are brand-spanking-new to the game. After about 10-20 games you should be good enough at skill checks to not fail them as often.

WGLF boosts your BP earnings, and DH is a free hit. You don't need to be amazing with DH at low ranks, you just need to wait until the killer is close and use it. I've yet to meet a killer below green ranks that doesn't swing.

• chieftaco
    chieftaco Member Posts: 230

i would never do david first tbh..

yes he has wglf and that gives you a few points if you complete the conditions well enough, and i do agree that wglf is a must have perk, and almost always taking a perk slot on every one of my survivors, but if we're talking about starting off (and we are), dwight is a much better choice for the following reasons:

1) Prove Thyself: provides up to 100% bonus BP & emblem for all cooperative actions, plus a boost in speed to everyone working with you. Don't forget you also get points for finding other survivors and for doing things within the terror radius.. this perk is an easy way to max multiple scoring categories in no time at all..

2) Bond: you can see a little more information about what is going on near you, at all times, as long as it's close enough to you. you can see when teammates nearby are being chased, giving you the information you need to keep focused on the tasks at hand instead of going to hide..

3) Leader: little known fact, despite what people think leader is one of the greediest perks in the game. its description makes you believe it is a speed gift for others, but understand by running that perk you get unhooked 25% faster than normal, by anyone.. you also get healed 25% faster by anyone, item or not.. add an item in that person's hand and it's even 25% faster than the item should be.. if you're lucky, you have multiple people healing you 25% faster, so in essence, you're unhooked and healed up much quicker by others when you're in danger.

As for David:

Dead hard is a well liked perk that is very good at allowing people to close that last bit of distance needed to reach safety at a pallet instead of being downed right before it. it has other uses as well, but secondary to it's primary use.

issues: it only works once per exhaustion recovery. you have to be injured to use it, meaning you're 1 hit away from down. it's effected by latency and other outside factors, it's blocked by any exhaustion addon or perk, and it takes both luck and skill to execute it properly. even very experienced players constantly complain "i pressed e" constantly when they get downed anyway..

We're gonna live forever is a very nice perk providing up to 100% bp gains post-game for taking protection hits and making safe hook rescues.

issues: it's conditional on being able to make safe hook rescues without any other tools to help make that happen, unsafe unhooks still give you points, but reduce your chances to build your multiplier, you have to stay in danger to collect said stacks, more than probably causing the demise of both the newer player and the people he keeps "saving"

WGLF is a very nice perk to run once you are more acquainted with the game, preferably after getting other perks that make it's use something more than a crappy game for everyone involved.

• chieftaco

to reply to this, Lithe is very good in the sense that it teaches people to look for and utilize windows and pallet vaults in chases. this can actually be considered one of the best perks for newer people to use because you end up finding out that windows and vaults still work exactly the same once you take the perk off, with the exception of a little speed burst.

the speed burst does help some in discouraging a killer to keep up chase, but if the killer's gonna chase he's gonna chase, lithe or not.. it is equally as easy to convince a killer to change their minds about chasing you by using the vault at the right time without lithe.

example:

if you have lithe and a killer sees you and you jump thru a window & zoom off, a killer is likely to still chase you down knowing that your exhaustion is now burnt.

the proper way to use it is to loop the killer around a few things a few times, then jump thru a window. the direction you run after vaulting is very important too, but you'll get that with practice so i won't address it..

when the vault happens after a few loops, the killer is likely to consider himself wasting too much time chasing a "looper" and go look for an easier target, lithe or not.. lithe just seals the deal.

once you have figured out this pattern and begin to utilize it, your chases will go much better than if you use it right away, and later on when you remove lithe, literally everything works the exact same way as when you had it..

it is the best perk to use to ween off of and learn how to play exhaustion-perk free..

• Mochan
    Mochan Member Posts: 2,886
    edited August 2019

WGLF is important and one of the best things to start with.

But No Mither is a terrible perk for a newb to start with and Dead Hard takes a lot of getting used to for a newb. And a newb won't be able to make real use of WGLF and in fact may be tempted to farm and learn bad habits that will get your team killed.

Dwight with Bond is a much better starting point. Bond is the most important perk for a newb, as it helps you learn the game by seeing how your teammates move.

After getting Dwight I'd move to Feng Min actually because Alert and Lithe are top notche for beginners.

• thesuicidefox

I'll agree that NM isn't a good perk for beginners. But WGLF is very important to get first, and DH is one of the best perks in the game.

• Fibijean
    Fibijean Member Posts: 8,342

I actually agree with @chieftaco about Dwight. He's basically designed to be easy for new players to pick up.

I usually recommend Nea to new players, or Claudette. Feng would probably be on that list if it weren't for the fact that she's not a base character, and most new players don't have or want DLC just yet. People who are new to the game are super paranoid about doing anything that might put them in danger. They like to hide, and they like to heal. David's perks are good but they're all about living on the edge - they don't suit the typical new-player playstyle. Urban evasion is great for learning how to stealth and evade the killer, and balanced landing, like lithe, is a good exhaustion perk which counters the deadly stagger that most new players don't plan ahead enough to avoid. Streetwise is meh, but not having to worry so much about consuming items is good for learning how to use them effectively. And Claudette obviously is just good for keeping yourself and your team in good health, which is always beneficial, especially since new players are terrible at evading while injured, what with all the moaning and blood.

• Marcus
    Marcus Member Posts: 2,047
    edited August 2019

Claudette and Meg are still better for new players.

Claudette has Self Care and Botany Knowledge which will allow you to heal yourself at an acceptable speed and Empathy, which gives you a little bit of map knowledge and it tells you who is chased by the killer.

Meg has Sprint Burst which has more utility than Dead Hard for a new player. New players will Dead Hard into trees and walls and even if the killer will miss a swing, it takes him just 2 seconds to catch up. Sprint Burst will help you against Wraith ( popular killer in low ranks ) to avoid that first hit and against Billy ( another popular killer in low ranks ) to avoid his instant down for a little more time. Or you need to do is to remember to not waste your Sprint Burst and that's not hard, because a new player will walk all the match anyway, Sprint Burst or not. Quick and Quiet can also help you with stealth plays and Adrenaline is a little bit bad for new players, because they usually don't reach the end game, but it's still much better than No Mither.

Post edited by Marcus on
  • thesuicidefox

Urban Evasion is an awful perk that teach awful habits. It teaches you to crouch walk everywhere all the time, which just a huge waste of time. Lightweight is better because you can run around more freely and actually get to places quickly. You don't get better at the game by using UE. It has niche uses, like against Hag or maybe to stealth slow killers like Huntress or Nurse, but outside of that it just teaches you to play poorly.

Claud has Self Care which is a waste of a perk slot. Equip a medkit and you basically can avoid leveling up Claud. Again teaching bad habits that if you are hurt you should run off to a corner of the map and heal all the time.

Streetwise is a rather worthless perk. It does almost nothing, and for new players they aren't going to be super efficient with items to take advantage of that tiny boost.

Dwight has valid reasons to be a good starter, but low ranks don't do gens in groups so PT is not going to help much, and Leader isn't going to help because survivors don't bother to heal you after an unhook, they just run off and hide. The benefit you get from these perks at low ranks is minimal at best. Bond is really good even for new players, but that's not a better perk to get first than WGLF.

• Fibijean
    edited August 2019

@Marcus Yeah actually, didn't think too much about Meg but you're right. I figured Sprint Burst would be difficult but I remember maining Meg when I first started and as you say, because they don't usually sprint, new players usually only use it when they're actually being chased. Either that or they sprint the whole time because they don't know about scratch marks, or often they don't know about fast vaults or locker entries (NPs love lockers) giving away their location to the killer, which is where Q&Q comes in. And I actually think Adrenaline is quite good, because not only do you get a speed boost to those exit gates but new players tend to be very bad at avoiding being hit, so it can save their lives if they have two chances instead of one when running for an exit.

In short, there's a good reason that Meg, Claudette, Nea, Dwight and Jake were the survivors they designed for us back when everyone was a new player.

• chieftaco

agreed.

i try to avoid recommending claudette at first tho for one main reason: people are encouraged to play overly stealthy with her because they can and they get the idea that stealth play is the way to go, when that's as far from true as can be.. stealth play is the way to go if you want to forever stay bad and watch all of your friends die while you pretend to be a shadow across the map somewhere.

don't get me wrong, i wouldn't be caught dead without selfcare, especially now in 2019, only because it's so hard to convince typical players that they need to heal me up when i'm injured.. people are tending to focus on gen repairs, leaving teammates injured and keeping them a juicy target for the killer to just hit again for another free hook.

there is another aspect to selfcare tho and that is that it's commonly used by people in an absolute horrible and little-b kinda way that gets everyone boned. selfcare is meant to be used as a last resort, at half the speed of someone else healing you. i 100% prefer teammates to heal me up right quick so i can get back to the action, but when they don't want to do it i have to do it myself.. this does not mean i spend a minute running to the far corner of the map and then another minute (squatting safely across the map) self-caring.. most times when i'm using self care it's in chase or standing out in the open 30 feet away from the killer at most.. he can see me, i can see him..

it is very easy for people to play claudette in a very horrible fashion and pretend they're super awesome at the game, and many if not most of them follow, learn, and swear to the trend that literally only makes everyone that sees them identify them as useless little-b's that need to get exterminated asap..

that said, depending on the person's play style i would still recommend her as 2nd character to get to level 40 followed by bill for BT, then david for WGLF because safe hook rescues are almost guaranteed as long as you are at full health and have BT.. without being at full health (in sticky situations, of course) your attempt at safe unhooks will commonly end up just creating a meat pile snowball situation.

• Fibijean

@thesuicidefox I can see your points, though I disagree with most of them but that's mainly a matter of opinion. I think it's important for discussions like this, though, to get inside the new survivor mindset. WGLF is great for farming bloodpoints, if you use it. New players just aren't that bold most of the time. They do everything they possibly can to avoid taking hits, even to protect other people. Perks like urban and self-care are not necessarily meta perks, but they don't need to be. The point is they help new players to do the things that new players already do instinctively.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,986

WGLF stacks aren't promised in a match in the same way that BBQ stacks are for killers. If someone else gets the save before you, it's a wasted perk slot. Plus Dead Hard is NOT noob friendly at all. There's a delicate timing window in which Dead Hard is even effective against a killer and even pros mistime it.

Dwight and Claudette have always been the best two for new players. Dwight for his ability to find and help teammates while also helping himself (Bond, Leader, Prove Thyself)

and Claudette for her stealth, healing ability, and ability to see other injured people (Self Care, Botany Knowledge, and Empathy)

When I was new, Self Care and Empathy were irreplaceable. I didn't care how many other perks I unlocked, those two stayed on for a long time.

• chieftaco

i'm sorry but i don't agree with claudette, based on info in above post..

as for meg, she's cool.. she used to be the best looking survivor.. she teaches bad things tho imo..

Sprint Burst: teaches you that you get a super duper speed burst when you start running, helpful in ditching the killer.

issues: teaches you to be super slow and save your "ace in the hole" for the perfect moment. this maximizes the time that it takes to get anything done at all. this also causes them to creep up to hooks (if they even rescue), much too slowly, allowing the hooked person to reach stage 2. when the killer shows up at the hook, sprint burst teaches you to just "run away", leaving an injured person who just got unhooked as easy prey for the killer to just redown/rehook..

Adrenaline: allows the user to get healed one health state when the exit gates are powered and they get a free sprint burst as well, even if they're exhausted..

issues: teaches people that healing is less important than generators. takes scoring events away from your teammates and encourages staying injured to allow a perk to heal you later. leaves you vulnerable, noisy, goofy looking, and makes people that are trying to get altruism (the 2nd best thing in the game, second only to co-operative altruism) upset with you for denying them their scoring events, making them less likely to help you rush a generator & more likely to try and sabotage you.

Streetwise: extends the life of items for you and survivors nearby

issues: garbo.. nobody cares, just get another item. not like new people are rolling in items anyway, but you know what's better than an item that lasts a little bit longer? the bonus you get in repair speed or healing speed by performing the action with other survivors.

• Fibijean

@chieftaco I personally love stealth and perks like Iron Will, it's just my playing style but I can acknowledge that it's not the ideal strategy and it's better to get good at chases. I think the point about encouraging bad habits is a valid one, which I hadn't really considered until now.

But I do think that it depends a lot on whether people are more interested in ranking up or in just having fun playing how they want to play, because some people are like me and don't really care if they're not playing optimally because they have fun with a particular build. That's why, when I have a friend that's new and asks who they should pick, I usually say to them something like, "Well, Dwight is good at teamwork, Meg is good at running away from the killer, Nea and Jake are both pretty good for stealth, Claudette is good at healing and Bill is good for clutch situations. So pick whichever one of those sounds most appealing to you."

• thesuicidefox

I've been playing on a smurf account (now a second account because I'm purple rank surv/killer) and I can tell you that WGLF is the absolute best teachable to get first. It makes leveling up any other character way WAY easier, and it encourages good play on the survivor (to make safe rescues).

Like all the meta perks are pretty much worthless at low ranks. Adren will rarely if ever proc, and when it does it will be a game against an absolute baby killer you wouldn't have needed it anyway. DS skill check is a bit tough for newbies, and the whole playstyle is way too much of a risk for new players. BT is still useful, especially because killers at low ranks will camp, but new players aren't going to run up and make a save in the killer's face because they lack balls.

The only things that help are aura perks, which many of the free perks do great. Deja Vu, Kindred, Small Game, Prem, Dark Sense... these are all actually good perks for beginners. Bond/Empathy require you to level up Dwight/Claud, but outside of those perks nothing else is going to help you all that much. MAYBE Sprint Burst, but DH is basically the same thing on command. New players that pick David are going to not only get BP faster than others, but will likely learn better habits because he doesn't have any perks that teaches bad habits (and in fact has 1 that makes the game harder so you would learn faster).

• chieftaco

i think it's better to motivate newer players and encourage them to learn a better way to play in general than to keep tucking them nicely into the safest possible hiding scenario and letting them get comfortable to the idea that that is how you play the game..

just saying new players don't do co-op and new players don't heal IMO should be replaced with the phrase "new players SHOULD do co-op and new players SHOULD heal others"..

guide them to be better than the garbo everyone's always complaining about instead of shotgunning them straight towards joining the trend..

• FishFry247
    FishFry247 Member Posts: 696

Meg

• Fibijean

@thesuicidefox The only problem is, comparing your smurf account to a new player is not a fair comparison because you already know how to play the game. I think David might be a good pick for the sake of WGLF after they've got a handle on the game, perhaps as a second or third character, but his playstyle is quite unforgiving and not noob-friendly at all.

• chieftaco

understood, and people should get to pick what they're into doing a bit, but if they're really new they're asking you to tell them what's best for them, not what they're into imo.. they might have tons of fun sprint bursting away from the killer every few minutes when he shows up but that doesn't exactly help them very much at actually playing the game from not knowing anything about it because they're new..

WGLF is a super badass perk, nobody is denying it.. it helps you tremendously on your smurf account, as it does everyone else on their smurf accounts, because we all know how to play (at least somewhat..). here we're discussing for new players, and there's a reason david's known as "stupid david".. new players playing him do really really really stupid things constantly lol..

he's not the best for new players to start with, but maybe the best one for experienced players to start over with if that's what you're getting at..

i'll give it that.. maybe i'm speaking to a question i misunderstood.

• thesuicidefox
    edited August 2019

But that's only because I realize 90% of survivor perks are trash. The only ones that help new players really are aura perks, and some of the better ones are freely available (Dark Sense, Deja Vu, Small Game, Plunderer's, Kindred, Premonition). Let's look at each survivor.

Meg - Has Sprint Burst, really the only valuable perk to new players. Q&Q can be good but again new players tend to not even use windows much (lockers though). Plus the same result can be achieved by just slow vaulting, and I doubt any new players will use Q&Q during a chase to actually juke the killer. Adren is the best surv perk in the game, but it's made moot when you never get to the gates (or you get to the gates so easily you might as well not even bother with it, this is rare though at low ranks).

Claud - Has Empathy. Self Care teaches bad habits and is ultimately not good for getting better at the game. It's actually more of a perk you use at mid-ranks to avoid spending medkits all the time, or if you just want to have it as a backup in case no one ever heals you.

Dwight - Has Bond. PT/Leader won't help new players much since they don't team up on gens (and when they do killers rarely ever stop them), and they don't heal you a lot of the time when they should, therefore the benefits of these perks are lost to the players that can't take full advantage of them.

Jake - Iron Will is meta, and is a good beginner perk, but not worth picking Jake first (this coming from someone that originally started with Jake). Calm Spirit is lowkey a meta perk but only at the meta level. Sabo is... yea. Nothing of value here.

Feng - Has Lithe and Alert. You could argue Technician is good for beginners, but only for SUPER NEW beginners. Like "I just bought the game I don't even know what a skill check is yet" beginners. After about 10 games you should be able to consistently hit good skill checks most of the time. Lithe, again low ranks don't use windows. It could encourage them to do so but chances are they won't know where to go once they Lithe. Alert can be useful if they actually drop pallets or the killer kicks gens, but again this is rare at low ranks. It's more useful mid-ranks where these events actually happen regularly.

Nea - Has nothing for new players. Balanced is a very high level perk, you need to understand how tiles spawn and such to use it properly. Streetwise will only benefit those that can take advantage of it's very slight boosts. I've already stated how UE is a bad perk that enforces bad habits.

Laurie/Ash - I put these two together because they are the only ones with Obsession perks, and the obsession perks are high skill. Ash's perks in particular aren't very good at high levels and also low levels. They just aren't good perks period. MOM could be meta again if they fix protection hits and reduce the hits to 2. Of all these perks a new player will only find use in DS, and even then they have to hit the skill check and understand they can play super risky while DS is active, something new players just don't do.

Ace - Nothing that will help new players. He is a very niche type of character for collecting items or kobes.

Bill - BT and Unbreakable are really good even for low level players, but I don't see a lot of super risky, save someone in the killer's face type of thing unless they just don't know the killer is there or something. And low rank killers rarely ever slug, they will pick you up immediately even if it's a bad move.

Quentin - Pharmacy can be a good alternative to Self Care, but Wake Up and Vigil are bleh. Wake Up can be useful at higher ranks but Vigil is worthless no matter what.

Tapp - Detective's Hunch is a good aura perk, sadly it gets beat by Deja Vu and Small Game which are both free perks. Tenacity has niche uses but not for newbies. Stake Out is good anti-Ruin but no killers use Ruin below like rank 13 usually. It's not going to help you at low ranks.

Kate - Windows Of Opportunity is actually a great beginner perk because it shows you all the vault/pallet locations which is really important to learn. DWM is good against competent killers but it's not going to make much difference against low rank killers especially if you don't know where to go after vaulting. Boil Over is a bad perk period, though it could probably help against new killers that don't know how hooks spawn. However Iron Grasp is a thing, a very common thing at low ranks, which is basically a hard counter to Boil over so there's that.

Adam - Deliverance is the only useful one for new players here, but again it requires a safe rescue which new survivors won't be very good at doing. Plus they will probably Deliverance at the most worst time anyway, so it will be worthless at the end of the day. Autodidact just makes healing more difficult. It's for more skilled players. Distraction is a meme no matter the rank.

Jeff - Aftercare is good perk for beginners because it encourages you to rescue and heal others, though being more conditional makes it harder to use for newbies. Distortion is GREAT to beat any aura reading the killer has, however at low ranks there won't be very much if any of that. Breakdown can maybe help you avoid running right to the killer after being saved, but it won't do much else to help you.

Jane - Poised requires you to do gens, which again low ranks don't tend to do. Head On is a pretty high skill perk not for beginners. Solidarity is in the same category as Autodidact, the benefit will not be that great for players that just started playing.

David - WGLF. Pretty much all I need to say, it boosts your BP earnings to make it just that much easier to level up anyone else. DH is one of the top perks in the game and can be used somewhat effectively by low ranks if only as an on-demand Sprint Burst. NM is the bad one here, but you don't have to equip it and if you do you just made the game harder for yourself. Play this way for a little bit and then take it off, you will see a noticeable improvement to your abilities.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,363

Im gonna agree with this, Feng min supplys you with a nicely rounded build for a newbie. While WGLF is nice for cutting down the grind, same reason why I always suggest to lvl Bubba first for BBQ... It doesnt do much for easing anyone into actually learning the game.

• RakimSockem
    RakimSockem Member Posts: 1,986

I think a lot of people here are so far removed from being a NEW player that they forget what it's like. Either that, or they picked up the game really quickly and never played with complete "miss every skill check, run and leave scratch marks for no reason" noobs.

A new player is NOT thinking about the grind or raising their characters. They also aren't going for saves enough to benefit from WGLF.

A new player wants to stay healthy, stay hidden, find teammates, and avoid death. There's no better 2 survivors for those things than Dwight and Claudette.

Making the argument that a perk develops what YOU consider to be a "bad habit" later on is irrelevant to the discussion of what is best for a NEW player. Self care is irreplaceable for a new players. Sucks that they nerfed it, but it's still top tier for a new player. Urban evasion is amazing for new players. Hell, I have friends with over 1000 hours in the game who still hold on to that crutch.

Can't believe I'm saying this but (ugh) Sprint Burst is amazing in the low ranks. I never used it because I always used Feng and Lithe, but Sprint Burst is more dependable for those new players who walk and crouch their asses off.

Yall gotta put yourselves back in the shoes of a newbie.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Dead Hard isn't as beginner friendly as it seems and WGLF requires people to be smart and low rank rank players make more hook farms than safe saves. So it isn't as if they are going to get the value out of the perk consistently enough.

The best beginner survivor is Dwight. Dwight gives you perks that incentivize learning the key portions of the game without making you take a lot of risk. He offers prove thyself which gets people to do gens with other teammates. It has bond which can help new players keep track of and understand when they are getting too far away from the team. It also has leader which means that while they are still basically playing buddy system in low ranks the other person is getting a boost to pretty much every action they take.

David, has beginner traps like No Mither, which is just there to make the game harder for more experienced players. Dead Hard is one of the best exhaustion perks in the game. Yet, only when it is used correctly and confidently. You can not panic when you dead hard or you will still just get hit. Low ranks don't have good understanding of running loops and Dead Hard does nothing to teach them. They end up leaning on it to save them when better movement in general would have been better.

Just like how low rank players don't get the full value out of Sprint Burst even if you explain to them how to do it properly. Kate also has a high tier beginner perk in Windows of Opportunity. Learning map layout improves every other movement based skill a survivor has. Knowing where palettes are lets them learn how to route themselves.

• thesuicidefox
    edited August 2019

If you develop bad habits early on they can be hard to break. When I first unlocked Urban Evasion I used it all the time. Thought it was great. But it wasn't making me play better, it was making me play worse.

There are objective things in this game where you can say "this encourages good/bad habits". Aftercare and WGLF are examples of perks that encourage good habits, because it's ALWAYS good to make safe rescues, heal, and take hits for others. UE is an example of the opposite, because it teaches you to just crouch walk everywhere, which is a HUGE waste of time and in many many cases absolutely unnecessary in terms of playing stealthy. The only time you really want UE is against a Hag, that's it.

If you know people that have 1000 hours and still use UE then I hate to tell you, but your friends are probably not that great at the game, and they will never get better until they drop that perk and learn how to move around with urgency.

The things I notice new players have trouble with...

• Tracking the killer
    • Tracking other survivors
    • Finding objectives
    • Running from the killer
    • Rescuing other survivors

The first two can be solved with aura/detection perks (of which most are free). The third can be solved with Deja Vu or a map. The fourth is really just something that comes with experience. You have to learn how windows/pallets spawn, how to mind game, etc. None of that is easy for new players, and no perk is going to save them here. Something like Sprint Burst will help make it easier, but there is still a high chance they run to a dead zone, or circle back into the killer, or just straight up run into the killer's face. No perk can fix stupid.

The last, however, is something that new players just have to start doing. WGLF promotes that and that's important. It's like, you can't swim in the deep end if you never jump in the pool, and new players are terrified of just being in the water.

If you want to be a better player you need to develop good habits. Saving other survivors is a good habit, the best habit maybe. If you use perks that promote bad habits you don't grow as a player, and just stay a newbie longer than you really should.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

I think if any the newest girl survivor will be the best for new players, why?

Her first perk (the one where you heal in the locker) will help new players learn totem spawns, as well as help them learn how and when to use a locker to hide and when not to.

Fixated- this perk is 100% geared towards new players, it gives them an awareness of the trails they are leaving for the killer to see (also the speed boost to walking is amazing)

Her last perk is quite literally the most god tier of the three when it comes to teaching new survivors. It covers three gen strat, it covers realizing when to save or to stay put. And it covers teaming up on gens (which honestly is better with leader)

• chieftaco

you have the right to think that. fact of that matter is, 5k in game hours later, i still remember being new very well.. i remember constantly being upset thinking i was doing things wrong and causing my own issues. i remember constantly asking people what am i doing wrong? what makes this game so $4177y, or me so $4177y at the game..

i remember people's vague answers of "you'll get better.. you just have to learn by doing.."

i understand now that was caused by literally nobody i came into contact with actually understanding how to play the game..

i also understand that what i was looking for wasn't for someone to give me a "gimmick" character, build, or perk that would allow me to have a little bit more fun in certain situations while i was learning.. i wanted them to legitimately tell me how i could become a better player.

that said, in this opportunity of people asking what is the best survivor to start with and why, i'm attempting to pay it forward by giving people what i actually wanted when i asked.

i had plenty of people tell me that i needed to hide more, and be more stealthy.. i tried that, only to find out all it did was make me get even less points, feel more stupid at the end of the game, and be super irritated about spending so much time bored out of my mind in an effort to do better at a game.

i pushed thru that by deciding quickly that stealth was not fun in any sense of the word for me, and i decided to don the brightest clothes i could and learn how to run & have a good time instead..

all i can say is while there might be many more people who have the hours I have in this game, i don't know any of them who actually enjoy playing the game daily still, other than me.. i have a great time in most games, and the games where people are too focused on stealth to actually have an enjoyable game are perfectly fine too.

as soon as i find out that's the game i'm in i'll go be extra risky so i can die as quickly as possible so the little stealth goobers can wait out the rest of the game for no points without me.. they're literally just waiting for me to die anyway, least i can do is move on down the road, hopefully without letting them get any scoring events off of me because that's not what they're playing for anyway, they want the thrill of the hatch or whatever and that's totally fine, but i don't have to be one of the guys waiting out that noise.. i'd rather take my depip and go find non-goobers.

• Marcus

Every perk can teach you bad habits IMO.

WGLF can teach you to prioritize saves over gens and literally to fight with each other for the saves, so you can get your stacks. Also, new players won't understand what safe unhooks means, so they might still farm their teammates.

Dead Hard will teach you at low ranks that if you use it just when the killer is behind you, he will miss no matter what, so when you will reach high ranks, you will start to believe that Dead Hard is useless, because killers don't fall for it there. Also, Dead Hard won't help you even if the killer miss the swing, because they catch up in 2 seconds.

New survivors walk all the match, so that's why Sprint Burst is good for them, to get a head start if the killer find them. After survivors learn how to run tiles, but will probably want to replace SB, but untill then, this perk can help them to put distance between them and the killer. SB is also very good against Wraith and Billy, pretty common killers in low ranks. DH is serve you no purpose if you get instant downed.

Also, Adrenaline doesn't teach you to not heal the whole match, I see plenty of survivors healing even if they run Adrenaline. And the fact that Adrenaline lets you to rush the last gen even injured is a good thing. It teachs you to have more balls in these situational, when there is 1 gen to be completed and you are injured.

Healing with Self Care isn't too slow if you combine it with Botany Knowledge. @thesuicidefox keep saying Medkits are better, but Medkits will be a very limited source for new players, they won't have many of them and they might want to run other items as well. Nowhere in the description of the perk is said "you need to run in a corner of the map to be able to heal", new players need to learn when and where to use Self Care. Of course, they can give up on it later, but for a new player it's still a good perk.

• chieftaco

i would totally agree with this if a) she was available for us to see really how the perks work and b) the perks actually work as you described them without oversight or nerfs applied due to information discovered after launch.

as for right now i think we can only really offer out opinions on things we have first hand knowledge of. as we all know, perks planned and launched are commonly changed shortly after for any number of reasons.

until we see what we actually get i can't include upcoming survivors in this discussion, but you very well could be right in the future.

• thesuicidefox

You can still get WGLF tokens by taking hits, which would be rather common for attempting unsafe rescues, as you will likely get hit, make the save, then go down, 2 tokens and if the killer decides to hook you right away (which they almost always do at low ranks in this scenario) you just got 3 tokens in 5 seconds.

The problem at low ranks is no one saves. NO ONE. You just sit on the hook and die because people are afraid to save. Beginners might not always get a safe rescue, but they will at least ATTEMPT the rescue. It pushes them to take that risk. Once they do it right and see "oh that's how it works" then they can more consistently make safer rescues.

Like I said about Prove Thyself/Leader... survivors don't do gens at low ranks, and they especially don't do gens together. The moment, and I mean the EXACT FRAME where a heartbeat can be heard low ranks will run off. You will hardly every get benefit from these perks at low ranks because other survivors won't cooperate.

As for DH, yea it's not very beginner friendly but if you use it like an on-demand Sprint Burst that's still going to help in a chase, which is where newbies have the most trouble, and again no perk will help them here. If anything, you want to get DH for when you play the game more and such that you can make full use of it. Hence why I said David is the best starter because WGLF automatically puts him above EVERYONE. It encourages good habits and can make the grind way easier. DH is more of an icing on the cake than a reason to pick up David.

• LordGlint

just abit of a correction here. Leader does not help you when you teamup on gens. Leader doesnt affect gen speeds.

• TrueKn1ghtmar3
    TrueKn1ghtmar3 Member Posts: 1,143

Lol I barely play survivor with any of those perks please could you correct me with the one that does

• Fibijean
    edited August 2019

Exactly what I'm trying to say, thank you!

@thesuicidefox I think you're underrating UE a bit based on your own experience. All it really does is make stealth easier - a perfectly valid playing style, and not necessarily destructive even if it's not always optimal. Sprinting around like a madman isn't always optimal either. In my opinion, a good survivor should be able to do both, which is why I like to run perks that enable both. I love UE because when I want to sprint I can, and often do to get around fast, but when I want to stop sprinting so I don't get caught UE allows me to duck behind objects and make quick getaways that I otherwise wouldn't be able to. If a new survivor doesn't want to sprint, which they probably won't, they'll just walk everywhere instead. If they have UE, they'll crouch instead of walking. It doesn't discourage sprinting, just makes them harder to see when they're not sprinting.

• thesuicidefox

While you could argue that prioritizing saves over gens can be a "bad habit" generally speaking it's not. It's only a bad idea when you REALLY need to do the gen, or the killer is camping, or stuff like that. In most cases, you want to go make the save, as making the save is infinitely better than not making the save.

However, perks like Urban Evasion and Self Care will have actual negative impacts on your performance. Self Care is slow AF and just wastes time usually. It's way better to just let others heal you. Yea, medkits can be scarce for new players, but it opens a perk slot and is faster than the Self Care perk. UE just makes you think you should crouch walk ALL the time, which is a waste of time. You never learn how to properly stealth a killer and just end up slowly moving around the map at times when you should be running.

It's one thing to already understand the game and use these perks, it's another when you use them while learning the game because they teach you to be inefficient, which then trickles down as you learn more of the game to a point where you basically have to relearn how to do stuff sometimes. This is bad because habits are hard to break. You will spend more time relearning the game than you would have just biting the bullet and taking a more difficult path.

• LordGlint

prove thyself boosts gen repairs, leader boosts pretty much everything else

• LordGlint

Im pretty sure the bad habit theyre refering to isnt JUST unhooking teammates, but rather making sure you unhook them FIRST. The importance at that point isnt the safety of the unhook, but that you beat your teammates to it.

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780

Disagree. The best ones to start with are Claudette and Meg.

Meg because of her Sprint Burst, which is easy to use, but also because of Adrenaline which is a really strong perk.

And then Claudette due to Self-care, but also because Empathy and Botany Knowledge are solid perks to start with.

• thesuicidefox

Well that was the whole reason the "safe rescue" clause was added, to stop farming.

And having all 3 survivors rush to unhook you is a way better option to no one coming to save you and you just die on your first hook.

• LordGlint

Kindred helps with safe rescues, WGLF shifts the importance from helping your teammate get away to getting a token. The safe hook rescue part...is kinda funny. Watch this clip really quick at around 2:20 to see a "safe rescue". I was the Huntress...

• chieftaco

post confused me a bit, at first sounding like you were agreeing with everything i said but as if i said the opposite. i see the topic now..

yes a lot of perks can teach bad habits, agreed. the question is what is the best, not what does certain people like the most. fact of the matter is, SB is actually a garbo perk since exhaustion nerfs and even before, but especially since. it can help new players get away from billy or bing bong, true, but i get away from billies and bing-bongs all day every day just by running.. most of the time just by running in a circle.. no exhaustion perks necessary..

sprint burst gives you reason to think that running is something you do on special occasions, and idea is that's wrong.. think about how people play the game and what people complain about the most: gen rushing.. keyword here being RUSHING, not tiptoe silently from gen to gen and turn it on, but get there as fast as you can and get stuff done because lives are at stake.. the more slow movement, the more people that end up dead, it's just a fact.

when i was new my friends used to laugh at me so hard for saving my sprint burst, & back then i didn't understand why, thought they were just joshing me, but now i totally understand. the more time it takes you to get where you are going and start doing something useful the less of anything that is actually happening in the game and again, the more people die by the end of the game..

lets say noed pops at the end of a round and you're on a hook.. 3 SB users gonna creepy-crawl around the map looking for a totem if you're even that lucky, cuz they gotta save their sprint burst in case stuff goes down.. everything takes way longer and everyone dies and SB users comfortably say "sorry.. i couldnt do anything for you friend" when in reality the only reason they couldn't do anything is they were trying to save a 3s speed boost :)

SB is a silly perk and people that save it are also playing in a very silly fashion causing death and destruction everywhere without even understanding that that's what they are doing.

back to dwight, you get location of other survivors in the area, constant also, no cooldown. you get the same or better "encouragement" to work together and get that gen done that you mentioned users with adrenaline getting, and same faster heals you say claudette delivers by equipping leader. the only missing perk is an exhaustion perk, which is never more than a crutch anyway.

as @thesuicidefox said it's best to just jump on in there and learn how to constantly stay running. if you are not running and a killer is coming towards you, the killer is closing distance.. if you are saving your SB until the killer is close so you can SB away gleefully, that is a bad habit to develop, period.

understanding that i am not a brand new player doesn't make the fact that the only time in game i'm not holding shift is when i'm on a hook irrelevant to the discussion. running is an important aspect of the game.. it's one of a very limited set of input buttons.. not using it until you absolutely need to isn't the best or even an ideal concept to pass down to a new player.

• BloodyNights
    BloodyNights Member Posts: 526

I personally think that Claudette is the best character to start with. People forget that you don't start with any med-kits, and new players probably don't have 50 of them laying around like people who have been playing for a while do. With Botany Knowledge you'll heal yourself quickly enough, and be able to heal others faster. Empathy will also give them information as to where the killer might be after someone gets smacked. All around she's incredibly powerful as a starting character.

Alternate start for me would be Dwight, I still use Bond to this day simply because I love the information it gives. Finding exit gates, finding gens to do with others, finding survivors who are around me that need healing etc. Prove Thyself will obviously help with finishing gens quickly, and getting extra bloodpoints. Leader is okay I guess, not amazing but it will help others heal you faster. While he may not have a way to heal himself on his own he can probably find someone to heal him pretty easily.

Second or Third Survivors for me would be Nea, or Meg.

Nea's two stand out perks being Urban Evasion, and Balanced Landing. Urban Evasion isn't a terrible perk and it also doesn't have to teach bad habits either. If you are playing with someone new let them know to only use it when the killer is near you to try and avoid him, other wise you need to run around the map to get things done. Either way it can be used to make the killer lose you in a chase when you've broken line of sight, or to crouch walk behind some boxes or something and avoid the killer to waste their time searching for you. Also helps against a select few killers like Hag, Nurse, Huntress etc. Balanced Landing imo is probably contender with Dead Hard for best exhaustion perk in the game. Get's rid of your stagger upon landing and gets you faster movement speed upon landing. It's really good, though it can get hampered on certain maps, or feel busted on others.

Meg has Sprint Burst, it's probably the weakest of the exhaustion perks but it's still simple enough to use. Her main draw is Adrenaline obviously, I don't really think it needs explaining. Quick and Quiet isn't the most amazing but it isn't terrible.

I personally do not like We're Gonna Live Forever. It does nothing in game, and it really will teach bad habits. Like going half way across the map off your generator to try and get the save, when a closer teammate could get them instead and you could finish your gen. Not to mention without Borrowed Time, you'll probably get some of your teammates killed due to poor saves trying to get them stacks.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

I'm sorry, but I just strongly disagree. You have better chances of getting people to do gens than make saves. Also, you almost never see WGLF getting 3 stacks within 5secs. Something like that requires the that the new player make the save, then body block you, and that both the safe unhook and protection scoring events proc. We know exactly what makes safe unhook proc and how long it takes. We've spent literal years body blocking each other only for the protection even not to work properly.

When I think about what is best for beginners I think about what can be used to make them learn and do the core objectives of the game. Prove Thyself, Bond, and Leader teach them the core concepts of working as a team to complete gens. WGLF teaches players to take calculated high risk/high reward actions. I find it more important to teach them that making saves is just as important as doing gens before you introduce a bonus incentive to the concept. We've watched it happen in the past with the older version WGLF. People at low ranks ran it and weren't learning to calculated risks. They were just obsessed with getting stacks. Even with the game dictating safer play to get stacks people will still show more concern for the stack than the player. If they even get a tinge of a feeling that they can't get the stack they will not go near that hook.

Another thing I would add is that new players don't know how to bodyblock and are too scared to bodyblock of their own free will. The moment they think they're in danger they take off in any direction that doesn't have a chasing killer in it. You have to literally force them into bodyblocking for you. At that point though the only thing that comes out of it is mistrust and a potential dc.

• Marcus

I already said Self Care should be used together with Botany Knowledge, which you can if you level up Claudette. SC + BK isn't that slow and it gives more benefits than healing yourself ( faster healing, longer Medkits ).

I never said anything about Urban Evasion, that perk is [BAD WORD] against any killer, even against Hag ( maybe not against bad Hags, but good Hags don't fall for it ), so stop bringing it in this discussion.

Yeah, and the killers at low ranks tend to camp, so WGLF can teach survivors to suicide for their stacks. And if everyone is running WGLF, that means everyone will chase the killer untill he downs someone, so they can get their stack before someone else. In that case, nobody will do any gen.

• thesuicidefox
    edited August 2019

"You have better chances of getting people to do gens than make saves."

Which is why you want a perk to encourage survivors to make saves. WGLF does that.

As for the 3 tokens thing, I was making the point that it can happen. And in all likelihood, if the WGLF guy is rushing the save they will probably go down during the unhook which is an extra token.

So bring 2 perks when you could just bring an item that does it all better anyway? Sorry no. Those 2 perk slots would be better served with stuff to help them learn the game like Deja Vu or Premonition. Granted new players won't have much to work with anyway, it's still silly to use 2 perks when an item is superior.

"In that case, nobody will do any gen." Nobody does gens at low ranks anyway. So would you rather die on your first hook and get nothing, or die on your third hook and get a ton of BP from WGLF and rescues?

• Marcus

But new players can't loop the killer, that's why SB can help you to put distance between you and the killer. Once you learn to loop the killer, you won't need it anymore, I already said that. New players won't save you against killers with NOED anyway. Also, I saw SB users sprinting with their exhaustion perk to the hooked survivor, so they can save them in the last second, while I saw other survivors crouching or walking around while someone was on hook and guess what, nobody had SB. Not perks are teaching bad habits, and the survivors.